• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2017!

Um, others may have better info (and please forgive me if I come across somewhat harsh), but that might just be the absolute worst morning you could pick for an 8am tour at MK. 25,000 runners will be leaving Epcot for MK between 5:30 am and 7:00 am, and many many many of them will have family and friends traveling to MK that morning to cheer them on. The bus (and monorail) schedule will be changed to transport runners and Chear Squad members back and forth between POR (which is where we're staying too BTW), Epcot, and MK - and everything will be swamped (the Monorail lines apparently are epic). You probably at a minimum should call POR and/or the tour line to find out their recommendations.

Thanks for the info. We are definitely going to do some research. Glad we have plenty of time to cancel! It is our one and only park day for the weekend- otherwise we would have booked a different day!

That's interesting that they booked a tour for you on that day. :scratchin

I agree with @jhorstma that things could get tricky. Magic Kingdom comes up in he 6th mile of the race, and with the marathon starting at 5:30, I would think the runners in the latter corrals will be starting at 6:30...I think there's a very good chance that the marathon will still be in the Magic Kingdom at 8AM. World Drive will be used by runners as well, though I remember from staying at POR that there was some cool sneaky bus route that the CMs took to get us to MK. I'd definitely call and ask about that!

Thanks for the info! I was surprised too, but figured if they are booking it, then they must have a plan. I'll be sure to find out more!

So we are running the 1/2 on Saturday and just booked the Keys to the Kingdom tour for Sunday at 8am. Not sure if we are going to keep it or not yet, but either way, I am wondering about the logistics that morning with the full marathon going on. Will it be difficult to get to the MK for 8am that day? We are staying at POR, so we were planning on just taking the earliest bus (usually around 7am right?) that day.
We had an 8 am ADR at GF last year during marathon Sunday. We got there in plenty of time but make sure you are up early and on a MK bus at 7 am. The bus will drop you off at the TTC. You will then have to take the monorail to MK.

Thanks for the info. We are definitely going to do some research. Glad we have plenty of time to cancel! It is our one and only park day for the weekend- otherwise we would have booked a different day!

Thanks for the info! I was surprised too, but figured if they are booking it, then they must have a plan. I'll be sure to find out more!
I think with the right planning you can make it work but that's just me.

We had an 8 am ADR at GF last year during marathon Sunday. We got there in plenty of time but make sure you are up early and on a MK bus at 7 am. The bus will drop you off at the TTC. You will then have to take the monorail to MK.

Thanks for this information! The bus doesn't drop you off at the MK directly like it usually does? Must be due to redirected traffic flow from the race, I am guessing? I don't mind getting up early! This is the first trip we have had with no little kids in years- and it won't happen again for years!

Thanks for this information! The bus doesn't drop you off at the MK directly like it usually does? Must be due to redirected traffic flow from the race, I am guessing? I don't mind getting up early! This is the first trip we have had with no little kids in years- and it won't happen again for years!
Correct the bus doesn't do a normal drop off because of the race course. The runners are running right where the buses need to go. The bus will drop you off at the TTC and you will have to take the monorail to the MK.

Hey all! I am most likely going to defer my marathon for 2017 as I will be 32 weeks pregnant at the time, as long as all goes well. For those that have deferred in the past, is the process straightforward enough? I am so worried that I will defer and then they will lose my registration for 2018. :blush: Just looking for some reassurance - thanks!

Hey all! I am most likely going to defer my marathon for 2017 as I will be 32 weeks pregnant at the time, as long as all goes well. For those that have deferred in the past, is the process straightforward enough? I am so worried that I will defer and then they will lose my registration for 2018. :blush: Just looking for some reassurance - thanks!
Unfortunately there is no more deferral option.

At this time, many people are reporting that rD has done away with deferrals altogether. I strongly suggest calling rD ASAP and asking if it's even an option!

Whoa! Good thing I asked. How crazy. I've been avoiding this thread as I have been bummed about not being able to run... this is terrible news!

Whoa! Good thing I asked. How crazy. I've been avoiding this thread as I have been bummed about not being able to run... this is terrible news!
I would contact RunDisney and see if they are able to do anything but deferrals are gone.

Yes, they will be getting an email shortly... I am not happy!

Seems like I remember reading something about the option for limited deferrals in the case of medical issues/pregnancy. Don't quote me on that, but I swore I saw that somewhere, so maybe they will accommodate you.

Seems like I remember reading something about the option for limited deferrals in the case of medical issues/pregnancy. Don't quote me on that, but I swore I saw that somewhere, so maybe they will accommodate you.

Maybe I'm asking too much now, but I was really hoping to have the option. I am guessing I won't be able to run a marathon that far along, but people have done it (and I ran an ultra 2 weeks before finding out, so it wouldn't be super crazy especially if I ran/walked it). Anyway, I'm disappointed. I'll let you all know what I hear back in case anyone is interested.

It's not really a deferral but they have offered a half back credit on a gift card to some with medical problems.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter