• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mamma Mia

The whole ABBA discussion reminds me of summer - maybe 2 years ago - my sister and I singing and dancing to the "sounds like" ABBA band in World Showcase, much to the HORROR of my two children.
Looks like I'll have to bring them to this movie!!!:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

As a side note - I can't get anyone in my family to go see Wall-e with me. I had to take my son to see Space Chimp. While it had a few jokes that were aimed at the adults that were funny, on the whole I enjoyed my box of Dots more than the movie.

Tammy
(humming dancing queen)

In honor of the new podcast direction I gotta say...I'm much to "butch" for Mama Mia. I've seen all the comic/superhero movies of the summer and even suffered thru Wall-e (just okay for me). I don't think I can pull of actually watching Mama Mia. A guys gotta draw the line somewhere, mine was Sex and the City and Mama Mia. :dance3:

Agreed. :thumbsup2 Isn't there some kind of man law that says a guy is only required to see one chick flick per year at the movies!:banana:

The whole ABBA discussion reminds me of summer - maybe 2 years ago - my sister and I singing and dancing to the "sounds like" ABBA band in World Showcase, much to the HORROR of my two children.
Looks like I'll have to bring them to this movie!!!:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

As a side note - I can't get anyone in my family to go see Wall-e with me. I had to take my son to see Space Chimp. While it had a few jokes that were aimed at the adults that were funny, on the whole I enjoyed my box of Dots more than the movie.

Tammy
(humming dancing queen)

we all went to Wall-e together DS and his girlfriend, DD, DH, me, my mom...
we all enjoyed it...

next up will be dark knight....
then hulk...

the movie that we most hated of late? Zohan - probably the second worst movie i've ever seen.....but i couldn't stand austin powers either, so it's probably me, not the movie...

but mamma mia's not in the cards for us.....i love meryl streep, but not enough to stomach abba.....by the way, she sang in a movie several years ago....the one in which shirley macclain is her mom....postcards from the edge...she had a very nice voice in that one (in the grand finale)...

Agreed. :thumbsup2 Isn't there some kind of man law that says a guy is only required to see one chick flick per year at the movies!:banana:

At least you go to one a year, I can't get my dh to any. I missed seeing Sex and The City, because every time I wanted to go my dh had a headache! :lmao: He already told me that he refuses to see Mama Mia...I do have plans to see it with my friends...can't wait, and I'm not an ABBA fan. The musical was a lot of fun.

Lisa

At least you go to one a year, I can't get my dh to any. I missed seeing Sex and The City, because every time I wanted to go my dh had a headache! :lmao: He already told me that he refuses to see Mama Mia...I do have plans to see it with my friends...can't wait, and I'm not an ABBA fan. The musical was a lot of fun.

Lisa

I'm a "chick flick" kind of guy, but I'm gonna have to side with your DH on "Sex and The City."

That's wayyyy beyond a standard chick flick.

I hope he starts agreeing to more movies, but taking him to "Sex and The City" would've ruined your chick flick credit forever! :rotfl:

I'm a "chick flick" kind of guy, but I'm gonna have to side with your DH on "Sex and The City."

That's wayyyy beyond a standard chick flick.

I hope he starts agreeing to more movies, but taking him to "Sex and The City" would've ruined your chick flick credit forever! :rotfl:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I know he "watches" it on TBS with me, he says he sleeping, but it's amazing how he knows all the characters! Must be subliminal. (If he'd read this, I'd be in trouble.)

OK.....add me to the list of those who love Mamma Mia.

My Sister is visiting this week, so we caught an afternoon show since it is to damn hot to do anything else. It was the perfect chick flick movie and loved the music. Any movie with Colin Firth is a must see for me.

I saw Mamma Mia today. I'd say the average age of moviegoer was 76. And that's probably because my 93 year old grandmother went with me, my sister, our Mom and mom's friend. It was very "Golden Girls". ;)

But we all enjoyed the movie very much. Everyone kept telling me that Pierce Brosnan can't sing. But I think he sounds better than let's say....Randy Newman.

I saw Mamma Mia today. I'd say the average age of moviegoer was 76. And that's probably because my 93 year old grandmother went with me, my sister, our Mom and mom's friend. It was very "Golden Girls". ;)

But we all enjoyed the movie very much. Everyone kept telling me that Pierce Brosnan can't sing. But I think he sounds better than let's say....Randy Newman.

:laughing: I don't think I'll get DH to this movie with me. Time to grab my girlfriends for a "Girls Night Out"!

OT: I am in my mid-thirties and watch Golden Girls most every night on Lifetime. DH gives me a hard time and always asks me how old am I? I can probably say the same thing to him after watching that ridiculous new game show on tv (like MXC, but American). I also like to watch "Murder, She Wrote". What can I say? I like the "Classics" of my time. ;)

- Jennifer

OK, I'll be the odd woman out here and stick my neck out.

The storyline is cute. The actors they chose for the most part seemed to fit the "look" they were going for, but coming from my personal experience (I teach Theatre :teacher: ), it was wayyyyyyyyy over-acted. Honestly. Who screams like that when they see their friends? (If you do, I'm sorry, but I've NEVER done that with friends) The actors just seemed as if they were trying way too hard to play their parts instead of coming by them honestly and naturally.

Pierce looked a bit like a deer in the headlights when he sang...or a guy trying too hard to look like he was "into" the music (I see I'm not alone on this one). Poor guy, he tried to go out on a limb...and the branch broke!

I don't mean to criticize so much, but it was just a bit too much for me. I came out of there asking my mom if she had any crackers to go with the cheese we had just had thrust upon us. I know it's supposed to be silly and fun, and it was, but it was over the top... just when I'd get into the story line they'd start another song and ruin it.

I will say I found the big dance scene with the guy in flippers to be entertaining though...:dance3: and I DID come out of there singing... :rolleyes1

I don't know that I'll be 1. showing it to my classes as an example of musical theatre like I have one with Evita or 2. buying it for myself...butI may change my mind if these songs won't get out of my head... hehehe.

i thought it was great and i was pleasantly surprised by the vocals of meryl streep. i will say pierce brosnan was not nearly as good and seemed to be very uncomfortable singing. i think the movie is as fun as the live show...go see it!
kim

OK, I'll be the odd woman out here and stick my neck out.

The storyline is cute. The actors they chose for the most part seemed to fit the "look" they were going for, but coming from my personal experience (I teach Theatre :teacher: ), it was wayyyyyyyyy over-acted. Honestly. Who screams like that when they see their friends? (If you do, I'm sorry, but I've NEVER done that with friends) The actors just seemed as if they were trying way too hard to play their parts instead of coming by them honestly and naturally.

Pierce looked a bit like a deer in the headlights when he sang...or a guy trying too hard to look like he was "into" the music (I see I'm not alone on this one). Poor guy, he tried to go out on a limb...and the branch broke!

I don't mean to criticize so much, but it was just a bit too much for me. I came out of there asking my mom if she had any crackers to go with the cheese we had just had thrust upon us. I know it's supposed to be silly and fun, and it was, but it was over the top... just when I'd get into the story line they'd start another song and ruin it.

Arent musicals supposed to be "over acted"? Rarely, if ever, am I walking down the street and break in synchronized dance with the surrounding strangers. (ok....it's happened...but thats a different story)

In West Side Story (the movie), Maria tells Tony to speak softly as her parents are sleeping. Cut to Tony singing "Tonight" at the top of his lungs.

In "Summer Stock", Judy Garland and Gene Kelly (both of whom are BRILLIANT in my humble opinion) dance with farm animals and equipment during the "Howdy Neighbor" number.

Any show Patti Lupone is in (and again...she's BRILLIANT( would have to be considered overacted. She chews scenery like no one else, but thats what people love.

In the most award winning musical ever....The Producers....there is a chorus line of walker using older women all looking to get "closer" to Nathan Lane. Talk about suspending disbelief.

I understand what you are saying, but I guess I went into the theater expecting anything scored entirely with ABBA music to be fun and a bit over the top.

In my opinion, it goes with the "musical theater" territory and I wouldnt have it any other way.

Arent musicals supposed to be "over acted"? Rarely, if ever, am I walking down the street and break in synchronized dance with the surrounding strangers. (ok....it's happened...but thats a different story)

In West Side Story (the movie), Maria tells Tony to speak softly as her parents are sleeping. Cut to Tony singing "Tonight" at the top of his lungs.

In "Summer Stock", Judy Garland and Gene Kelly (both of whom are BRILLIANT in my humble opinion) dance with farm animals and equipment during the "Howdy Neighbor" number.

Any show Patti Lupone is in (and again...she's BRILLIANT( would have to be considered overacted. She chews scenery like no one else, but thats what people love.

In the most award winning musical ever....The Producers....there is a chorus line of walker using older women all looking to get "closer" to Nathan Lane. Talk about suspending disbelief.

I understand what you are saying, but I guess I went into the theater expecting anything scored entirely with ABBA music to be fun and a bit over the top.

In my opinion, it goes with the "musical theater" territory and I wouldnt have it any other way.

Well said, Kevin. :thumbsup2

While I STILL can't comment on Mamma Mia......

The Producers is an excellent excellent excellent movie (sadly, I've never seen it on stage...)! I'm a fan of both the original and the re-make...probably more so of the re-make, mainly because of Nathan Lane. He was the PERFECT Max Bialystock.

I always like to think that should I ever be in a production of The Producers, I would play the role of Roger DeBris. It's only politically correct for a gay Jew to play Hitler, right?

Of course it's supposed to be over the top! I guess I mis-worded what I was saying. There's a difference between acting and over-acting. ;) Believe me. I'm quite a musical lover myself (also known to randomly break into song), but I just felt that some of the actors were trying so hard they came across as fake. by "over the top" I meant over-acted, not that the show itself was over the top.

As previously stated, I didn't hate the movie and I did come out of there singing ABBA myself...I'm sorry if I offended, but I was just stating opinion from a thespian's point of view. ;)

There have been musicals I have seen that I never blinked twice at them randomly bursting into song. Such examples are Wicked, the King and I and so on. They fit. They make sense. The actors aren't trying too hard to make it look like they're enjoying themselves. I'm just saying that some of the actors (SOME! NOT ALL!) Looked a bit forced. :/ I'm not criticizing the show itself, only the way some of the actors were portraying the parts.

I'll crawl back into my hole now... I should have known better... :(

Perhaps the theatrical version is better...

I'll crawl back into my hole now... I should have known better... :(

I apologize if you were offended by what I said. It certainly wasn't my intent

I thought I was offering my opinion on the subject, which differs from yours.

I certainly wasn't trying state that "I'm right and you're wrong", but rather using examples to back up my opinion, much like what you did by mentioning that you dont scream and jump up and down when you see your friends.

I feel badly that you feel that you need to "crawl back into your hole" or that "you should have known better".

I just thought we were having a discussion.

Again, I apologize.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter