making things from scratch?

His friend had to work today so they are going to "swap" salsa
tomorrow now I guess. He (DS)DID day that his friend's Mom had already made her salsa......so I'm pretty sure I will have an unfair advantage on this one :rolleyes1
Salsa does NOT sit well overnight! I like mine to sit no more than 3 hours......winning is winning right? I would still like to compare fresh batches tho.....popcorn::

HFCS is made differently than plain corn syrup, I don't have any technical data to provide, but corn syrup will not effect blood sugar as much as HFCS and data has shown that there may be a link between HFCS and obesity. I am sure someone else on her can provide more, or you could search the net for more. The two are different.

Thanks
:)

Yesterday my DS(18) called me and said "Mom......you know how you make the world's greatest salsa......?" ( I KNEW I was in trouble.....) I said "yes......"

he said "well Danny thinks HIS Mom's salsa is the best so we are going to have a taste-test" "Can you have it ready tomorrow night so we can swap?"

Needless to say....IT WAS ON!

I basically use tomatoes(seeded and as ripe as I can get 'em)
cilantro
lime juice
onion
garlic
salt&pepper
jalapeno pepper

let macerate(my favorite word.... :rolleyes1 ) for 30 minutes and serve!

Sounds great- thanks for sharing! And let us know how that contest comes out ;) My money's on you :thumbsup2

Buttercrean icing.
I can't stand the cans of frosting in the stores. it is full of all kinds of who know what and tastes yucky now that I make this.
It is so easy to make. I got it from wilton.com I am sure they have a recipe for chocolate as well. My girls love to decorate cakes so we always make white icing

Ingredients:
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup butter or margarine softened
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
4 cups confectioner's sugar (approximately 1 lb.) sifted
2 Tablespoons Milk
Makes: Icing serves about 3 cups.

instructions
(Medium Consistency)
1.In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer.

2.Add vanilla.

3.Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed.

4.Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often.

5.When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry.

6.Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy.

7.Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use.

8.For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use.

9.Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks.

10.Rewhip before using.

I also make my own icing and decorate cakes. It is soooo much better than store bought. My recipe is:

2 lb. bag of powdered sugar
2 cups of vegetable shortening
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. butter flavoring
1/2 tsp. almond flavoring (optional)
Water (I use water because it lasts longer. I have kept it for several months in an airtight container in my fridge. Rewhip before using and it is as good as new. You can use milk in place of water though and it is good for a few weeks in frig.)

As far as the amount of water, I can't give you an amount. I mix all the other ingredients up and just start adding a little water at a time until I get the consistancy I want. Since I decorate cakes, sometimes I need real think icing for flowers, etc and other times I need it thinner. Some people can taste a difference between milk and water in the icing, but I can't. I always get great reviews for my frosting.

Another good tip is to use the butter flavored crisco. If you do not need a pure white icing, this is the way to go. It is soooo yummy and you can leave out the butter flavoring when you use butter flavored crisco. It is a very pale yellow/ off white color when it is done.

I have been making yogurt without a yogurt maker and I've had no problems. What I do is boil the milk and let it cool until it is very warm, but not boiling hot. Then I add it to my yogurt starter (I like to use stonyfield farm) little by little. Then I just keep the yogurt in the warmest place in my house. Just be sure to maintain a temperature of around 82-85 F. The yogurt will set in 4-6 hrs. You can leave it out longer if you like it more tart. It firms up once you keep it in the fridge. If you like thicker yogurt, you can add some powdered milk while you are heating up the milk.
It's easy to maintain the warm temp required for incubation if you live in a warm climate. Even if you don't, you can use a small cooler filled with warm water to maintain the temp.
Yogurt makers are fairly inexpensive. I just never bought one because I don;t have space for another appliance in my kitchen.

Thanks for all the great ideas!

Ask someone who loved through the great depression and WWII:thumbsup2 Also I beleive there is a book maybe a cookbook called the great depression cookbook. I teaches you to live like you were living in the 30's&40's you hardly have any waste.

Chicken Stock

If I roast a chicken for dinner, after I pick all the meat off the bones I put the bones, a whole onion cut in half, a couple of carrots, couple of tops of celery (don't need the stalks, just the leaves, really) poultry seasoning and salt and pepper in the crockpot. Fill it up with water then put on low and go to bed! The next morning, drain it through a strainer and you have chicken stock. When it's cool I measure out 2 c. increments into quart sized freezer ziploc bags and lay them down in the freezer. When frozen, they stack up in the freezer.

I use a lot of chicken stock/broth for recipes, 2 c. is just about equal to one can, and it's practically free!

You can also make an awesome chicken soup with the stock. After it's drained, just add some new vegetables (the ones you cooked all night will just be mush) such as another diced onion, diced carrot, maybe a clove of garlic and some egg noodles or rice. Use some of the leftover chicken that you roasted, too. Cook till the carrots are tender.

I can never make a decent stock. I add everything others have mentioned. I just always end up adding a few bouillion cubes to "beef it up" so to speak. I make a killer turkey soup after Thanksgiving, but always end up adding some chicken bouillion cubes to it.

Did you know you can freeze pizza dough? I make a bunch at once, then freeze individual pizza portions in ziploc bags for later. On the day you want to use them, just give them a few hours to thaw in the fridge. :)

My pizza dough recipe. Also makes great Italian bread or focaccia!

6 c. flour
2 c. water, warmed to "baby's bath" temp.
2 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. olive oil
4 1/2 tsp. instant yeast

Mix water and the sugar, then add the yeast. Mix well with a fork to dissolve the yeast. Set aside.

In a stand mixer, mix 3 c. flour, salt and olive oil. When the yeast mixture looks a little bubbly, add to the flour mixture. Mix well. Add the other 3 c. of flour gradually. Knead the dough using a dough hook for about 5-10 min., till elastic and it pulls away from the bowl. Remove dough from bowl. Add a little olive oil to bowl, then put dough back in. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit till risen, about an hour.

Punch dough down and cut into 4 pieces. At this point, you can make your pizza. To save it for later, put each piece individually in a ziploc bag and freeze.

For Focaccia: Divide entire recipe in half, save half for later. Spread the other half in an oiled jelly roll pan. You might have to fight it to get it to stay, I usually just stretch it over the sides, let it sit for a few minutes, then ease it back into the pan. Use your fingers and make little "dimples" all over the dough - just make an uneven texture, don't actually make holes. Spread with olive oil, then sprinkle with coarse salt and rosemary. Bake at 425 for about 20 min., till slightly browned. Cut into squares. :)

I can never make a decent stock. I add everything others have mentioned. I just always end up adding a few bouillion cubes to "beef it up" so to speak. I make a killer turkey soup after Thanksgiving, but always end up adding some chicken bouillion cubes to it.

Try doing it in the crockpot. My sister, who's a great cook, taught me to make it this way. It really makes a difference!

Chicken Stock

If I roast a chicken for dinner, after I pick all the meat off the bones I put the bones, a whole onion cut in half, a couple of carrots, couple of tops of celery (don't need the stalks, just the leaves, really) poultry seasoning and salt and pepper in the crockpot. Fill it up with water then put on low and go to bed! The next morning, drain it through a strainer and you have chicken stock. When it's cool I measure out 2 c. increments into quart sized freezer ziploc bags and lay them down in the freezer. When frozen, they stack up in the freezer.

I use a lot of chicken stock/broth for recipes, 2 c. is just about equal to one can, and it's practically free!

You can also make an awesome chicken soup with the stock. After it's drained, just add some new vegetables (the ones you cooked all night will just be mush) such as another diced onion, diced carrot, maybe a clove of garlic and some egg noodles or rice. Use some of the leftover chicken that you roasted, too. Cook till the carrots are tender.

The secret ingredient in my soup stock is celery salt. It adds great flavor to the stock.

I just checked my pantry.

Karo Light Corn Syrup = light corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, salt, vanilla

Karo Dark Corn Syrup = dark corn syrup, refiners' syrup, caramel flavor, salt, sodium benzoate (used to protect quality), caramel color.

disclaimer: both bottles have been in my pantry since at least 2005!

Oh, this is a great topic.
I make my own tomato sauce, breads and I recently tried to make my own pizza dough, but it didnt turn out that great. I dont think I put enough yeast in it.
So I think I might try one of the pizza dough recipes posted on this thread and see how that works for me.

Everyone has such great recipes, I cant wait to try them.
Fran

I also like to make homemade ice cream with the kids. We do the kick the can method. You take your ingredients and place in a small clean coffee can, then you duct tape it to death to keep the lid on. Then you place the small coffee can in a larger coffee can, fill in the space with ice and salt (makes it colder) put the lid on, duct tape again and send the kids out to kick it around the yard. I like to have them play kickball for about 15-20 min, then when they are all tired and hot, I bring out cones and we have wonderful ice cream in the backyard that they made themselves. :)

Here's another way to make homemade ice cream, without the two cans. You can make smaller, individual servings & different flavors of ice cream for each person this way. :thumbsup2

Ziploc Homemade ice cream - (Atkins & South Beach Diet friendly too.)

1/2 Cup Milk (doesn't matter what kind, see below*)
1 Tbs. Sugar
1/4 Tsp. Vanilla (and or other flavors added**)

(Atkin's & South Beach recipe modifications see below)

Directions:
Add ingredients to a pint (sandwich) size Ziploc freezer bag and zip shut. Shake lightly to mix ingredients. If you have cheap, thin zipper bags, use two bags.

In the gallon sized Ziploc bag or even just a plastic grocery bag (free!) add about 3 cups of ice (or fill half the bag with ice) and add 6 tablespoons of TABLE salt!!! (Do NOT skip this step.) Rock salt is not necessary but OK if you have it. Coarse salt or sea salt is also OK. The purpose of the salt is to lower the freezing temperature of the ice and not let it form into one solid glob as you are shaking. Do not use too much salt though or your ice cream will not freeze.

Place the sealed sandwich sized bag into the gallon bag and zip the gallon bag. Shake the entire contents for at least 5-10 minutes (shake longer for harder ice cream). Optional: Wear mittens or wrap bag in a towel for shaking. For even harder ice cream, you may place it in the freezer.

Once desired hardness has been achieved, remove smaller baggie and rinse thoroughly with cold water (if you miss this step, you may wind up with salty ice cream)!

Recipe makes about a 1/2 cup of ice cream. You can double this, but more than that doesn't seem to work.

Instead of the Ziploc, you can make it in coffee cans. One small, 1lb. coffee can inside a big 3 lb. coffee can with the ice & salt packed around the little can and you just have the kids roll it around on the floor to make it freeze! You can actually use any two seal-able Tupperware type containers: Individual yogurt container in a larger Tupperware container.

This technique is also great for the kids at picnics or camping. Just bring the baggies & salt & use the leftover ice in the cooler and have the kids make their own individual ice creams. You can also measure out ingredients at home in the morning, bring the baggies & salt to the office for ice cream at lunch.

* Milks:
You can also use cream or half & half.
I used 2% Milk. (South Beach Diet friendly.)
Another batch I used Lowfat Evaporated Milk and a splash of regular milk for extra creamy taste.

Someone said you can use soy milk. Add a little bit of vegetable oil to the soy milk and it'll be just as creamy. Just mix soy milk, sugar, vanilla, a little bit of oil until it tastes good (no measurements given).

** Flavors:
You can mix a larger batch of this in a blender first with some fresh or frozen fruit, then divide into the baggies.
Or you can add some chocolate or DaVinci flavored syrups or a splash of flavored soda, or Nestle's Quick (chocolate or strawberry) or unsweetened Dutch cocoa powder (& up the sugar to taste.)
Chocolate chunks, chocolate chips or mint chocolate chips, or spoonfuls of real fruit jams.
Or add a little of pudding packages instead of sugar to try different flavors.
A little Orange Jello powder makes a creamsicle flavor.
Taste before freezing to adjust flavors. It should taste like melted ice cream.

Chocolate peanut butter ice cream: Put about a tablespoon of peanut butter in a little dish & heat it in the microwave about 2 minutes (to melt it) while melting shake chocolate ice cream bags for the first 2 minutes then pour the peanut butter in with the rest of the half shaken mix & finished shaking it. It ends up having chunks of semisolid peanut butter in it.

Atkins & South Beach Dieters:
Ingredients modifications:

1/2 cup Heavy Cream (Atkins); or 1/2 cup of 2% or less Milk (South Beach)
1 tablespoon artificial sweetener or 1/2 packet Splenda or Equal
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract

Taste before freezing to adjust flavors. It should taste like melted ice cream. However I noticed the vanilla got more intense after freezing & the sweetener seemed less intense.

You can add 2 TB unsweetened Dutch processed (less bitter) cocoa powder and 1 TB Splenda
or some sugar-free chocolate syrup, or Nestle's Sugar-free Quick (chocolate or strawberry.)
Or the sugar-free pudding packages instead of sugar to try different flavors.
Flavored sugar-free syrups: 1 tbs. of DaVinci French Vanilla syrup & 1 packet Splenda
or 1-2 Tbs. of Caramel DaVinci syrup or other flavors.
Or old fashioned, unsweetened Kool-Aide flavors (add more artificial sweetener) or a little sugar-free Jello powder. Orange is good for a creamsicle flavor.

Taco Seasoning---

1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper

Tastes much better than the little packets!

Mary

Here is a way to make sidewalk paint. I havent tried it but found this on another message board and thought I would share. I think we might try it this week sometime.

Here is the recipe:
Earth friendly sidewalk paint no less! Mix 1/4 cup or cornstarch with 1/4 cup of water and add some food coloring........add about 4 drops, but add a whole lot if you want it to be colorful

Here is a homemade ketchup recipe:
1 (28-oz) can whole tomatoes in purée
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preparation

Purée tomatoes (with purée from can) in a blender until smooth.
Cook onion in oil in a 4-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add puréed tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar, vinegar, and salt and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until very thick, about 1 hour (stir more frequently toward end of cooking to prevent scorching).
Purée ketchup in 2 batches in blender until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids). Chill, covered, at least 2 hours (for flavors to develop). Cooks' note:
Ketchup can be chilled up to 3 weeks.

I think I am going to try this one!!:love:

hey that ketchup recipe looks pretty good....and easy too! gotta give it a try!
Thanks!:)

I pipe my marshmallows out from a pastry bag. Depending on the tips, you could pipe out snowmen, snowflakes, etc. Tinting with food coloring is also an option. One christmas, I made up jars of cocoa as gifts and included my marshmallows in an attached bag. Cute, thoughtful, and inexpensive gifts.

Amy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter