making things from scratch?

I make all baked goods from scratch (cookies, breads, muffins, cakes, pies, etc). I also make my own icings, pesto, pizza crusts, soups, gravies, pico de gallo, guacamole...

My buttercream icing (so easy and yummy)
Blend well:
3 c powdered sugar
1/3 c butter or margarine
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
UP TO 2 Tblsp milk (start with 1 Tblsp then add a few drops at a time for desired thickness)

But by the time you buy all the ingredients for the marshmallows, pay the electricity to cook the ingredients and the value of your time - how do you justify that against the low cost of a bag of marshmallows which goes for what - $1.00 a bag? :confused3

I make them because we follow the Feingold Diet (no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives). Most marshmallows have blue food coloring and/or artificial flavor. The ones without are over $4 for a small bag.

They do seem to be a little harder to roast over the fire.

Let's see....bread, rolls, cake, icing, cookies, corn meal (yup, I dry and grind my own), just getting into grinding my own flour, I dry fruits, veggies, herbs, and I can (mostly tomatoes, but sometimes pickles too). I make my own hot cocoa mix, baking mix (like Bisquick), and I buy in bulk and store in food grade air tight buckets or vacuum seal. I find that although it is a lot of work, it is satisfying, and also it's nice to know what we are all eating. Plus I actually think I do save money-I buy flour in bulk, and the yeast as well, and while I actually have not figured out the exact cost per loaf, I am willing to bet that it is less than the $3.19 per loaf I would have to pay for the small loaf of Pepperidge Farm...plus it tastes a heck of a lot better!

But by the time you buy all the ingredients for the marshmallows, pay the electricity to cook the ingredients and the value of your time - how do you justify that against the low cost of a bag of marshmallows which goes for what - $1.00 a bag? :confused3

That would be like comparing my homemade WWheat bread at $1.50 a loaf to white fluff bread for $.99 a loaf. Real ingredients, versus funky chemicals, etc.

As far as time goes, I don't factor that in when I make something from love and scratch. I like cooking, though. For someone uncomfortable in the kitchen, that would be different.

Let's see....bread, rolls, cake, icing, cookies, corn meal (yup, I dry and grind my own), just getting into grinding my own flour, I dry fruits, veggies, herbs, and I can (mostly tomatoes, but sometimes pickles too). I make my own hot cocoa mix, baking mix (like Bisquick), and I buy in bulk and store in food grade air tight buckets or vacuum seal. I find that although it is a lot of work, it is satisfying, and also it's nice to know what we are all eating. Plus I actually think I do save money-I buy flour in bulk, and the yeast as well, and while I actually have not figured out the exact cost per loaf, I am willing to bet that it is less than the $3.19 per loaf I would have to pay for the small loaf of Pepperidge Farm...plus it tastes a heck of a lot better!

WOW-I am impressed!!!

If I may suggest- try using bread flour in your pizza dough as opposed to AP flour. I discovered this about a year ago & it has made a HUGE difference in how my crust turns out. The catch- bread flour is more expensive but the results are worth it. And I use King Arthur even though it costs about twice as much as Gold Medal. Again, the results are well worth it. Almost as if I know what I'm doing :rotfl: .

Just about everything that you see pre-packaged I'm making homemade because that's the way that my mother did it. Plus a lot of the pre packaged stuff is very high in sodium & I watch that stuff like crazy.

The ketchup recipe sounds really good. If you like it, try running some chipotle in adobado (smoked jalapeno in sauce...look for cans of these in the Mexican section of your supermarket, they're great for adding a depth of spice & flavor...and yes, I make these homemade, too) through the food processor & stirring into the ketchup. You'll end up with some nice, spicy chipotle ketchup.

We make our own ice cream and I recently started making my own Italian Ices. My all time favorite is Crema and it's impossible to find one that tastes "right". I found a ridiculously easy recipe (OK, for this I cheat & use the Almond Dream "milk" that comes in a box) & you can use the kick the can method, an ice cream maker or freeze it in a sheet pan then run the pieces through the food processor.

1 1/2 c unsweetened almond milk
1/2 cup sugar (or less, to taste)
1 tbs corn starch
1 splash each vanilla extract and almond extract

Combine almond milk & sugar in a saucepan over low heat, stir until sugar dissolves. Add corn starch & extracts & stir until mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat, let cool & refrigerate for a few hours until cold. Process in an ice cream maker or pour into a sheet pan & freeze until solid, then break into pieces and run through a food processor until creamy (an ice cream maker is best but the food processor method works OK).

My son LOVES this (so do I ;) ), virtually no fat & you control the sugar.

Originally Posted by alliedogsmom

Care to share a recipe or two? I'd love to make a better whole wheat bread or baking mix!:love1:

I've been trying to make things from scratch more often. Party to save money and party to keep the quality of ingredients high. Plus, if it saves me a trip to the store, I save gas so :woohoo: .

Alot of the recipes I used, I found on this website:

www.hillbillyhousewife.com

Some of the food falls into the "not so good for you" category, but I'm a fan of everything in moderation.

I made homemade marshmallows for a fondue party many years ago - they were delicious!

I am wondering, though, what brand of corn syrup you use. The Karo brand corn syrup actually has HFCS in it and I haven't been able to locate any other brand yet (although I haven't searched too hard).

I just checked my pantry.

Karo Light Corn Syrup = light corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, salt, vanilla

Karo Dark Corn Syrup = dark corn syrup, refiners' syrup, caramel flavor, salt, sodium benzoate (used to protect quality), caramel color.

disclaimer: both bottles have been in my pantry since at least 2005!

It's a non-issue for us b/c DS and DH can't have corn syrup either, along with HFCS and corn syrup solids, but while I was checking out the organic maple syrup for them, I noticed the Karos above.

And it's ONLY the "light" corn syrup that has HFCS in it. I bet the "light" doesn't have as much sweetness as the two darker kinds, so they have to punch it up, and they do so with HFCS.

But '05 and the other day, the same...the light Karo CS has HFCS, and the darker kinds do NOT.

I'm confused. (really I am not being sarcastic)
HFCS is High Fructose Corn Syrup and karo syrup is Corn syrup right?
So isn't that like looking for sugar without sugar in it?
:)

HFCS is corn syrup that has been modified in a lab. They punch up the sweetness by increasing the sugars in it, but it's not natural at all. It's NOT normal.

If you can find Mexican bottled coke at a store like Costco or a Mexican food store (or if you're going to Mexico soon) compare it to a Coke found at any store. The cane juice sweetener in the Mexican-bottled Coke gives a MUCH different taste than the HFCS. The HFCS is much much sweeter, and the cane tastes more delicious. I also find I don't want to "chug" the Mexican bottled Coke (aka the traditional Coke, as my friend who collects Coke stuff verified for me by looking at his bottles/cans from before the New Coke fiasco), I want to savor it instead, and that's going to make a blood sugar difference as well.

High fructose corn syrup, not sure about organice gelatin, since it is an animal product, could it even be deemed organic?

Meats can be deemed organic, so I imagine rendered animal parts could be too. I've never seen it, but I don't look for gelatin anyway. :)

OP, just in case you have a Safeway around, if you're ever desperate for ketchup, the O Organics brand isn't that expensive, and is very good. I just read that they are now selling the use of the brand name to other stores, so you might find it beyond Safeway and Vons soon!

With DS's problems with HFCS, corn syrup, and corn syrup solids, I find myself making a whole lot more from scratch, but it's all basic recipes, not fun stuff like you guys can make.

If only one could make marshmallows with something OTHER than corn syrup, and if only I could find a carageenan that worked just like gelatin!

Thanks to a PP who mentioned the can-ice-cream method. Fabulous!

If I may suggest- try using bread flour in your pizza dough as opposed to AP flour. I discovered this about a year ago & it has made a HUGE difference in how my crust turns out. The catch- bread flour is more expensive but the results are worth it. And I use King Arthur even though it costs about twice as much as Gold Medal. Again, the results are well worth it. Almost as if I know what I'm doing :rotfl: .
Can you expand on this a little? What is the difference between a crust made with AP flour and one made with bread flour? Is it tastier? Oh and thanks for the Crema recipe!

My buttercream icing (so easy and yummy)
Blend well:
3 c powdered sugar
1/3 c butter or margarine
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
UP TO 2 Tblsp milk (start with 1 Tblsp then add a few drops at a time for desired thickness)

I didn't see this before. Now THAT is some buttercream! :) Our wedding cake baker used ONLY butter, no shortening, and her buttercream was beyond incredible. Due to a very long story, our hotel had another local bakery make us a 1st anniversary cake to replace the cake top they threw away, and while it was really good, you could tell they didn't use ONLY butter, and it lessened the buttercream.

At some point in our first year of marriage I made hubby a huge cake for his b'day, and I followed some crazy buttercream recipe that required a candy thermometer, and though it was good, it was nowhere near as good as a simple recipe like yours tends to be. :)

Best buttercream frosting. VERY fluffy and no greasy film left on the roof of your mouth

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
2 cups butter, softened
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup confectioners' sugar
Add to Recipe Box
Add to Shopping List
Add a Personal Note
DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl, Whip the butter on high speed, occasionally scraping down the sides of the bowl. Whip until double in volume. This takes a very long time, approximately 10 minutes.
While still whipping, drizzle in the heavy cream. Continue whipping until the mixture is stiff, approximately 2 to 4 minutes.
Add 1/2 of the confectioners sugar and whip until smooth. At this point, you can taste the frosting and determine if you would like to add more sugar to sweeten to taste.
Thickly frosts top and sides of two 9 inch cakes

Can you expand on this a little? What is the difference between a crust made with AP flour and one made with bread flour? Is it tastier?
The bread flour has a higher gluten or protein content (if memory serves). It results in a stretchier, more pliable dough that produces a NY style pizza parlor crust. This crust is very crisp & tasty, so much so that the poor dog never gets "pizza bones" anymore ;) . The downside is that I'm making a lot more pizza ever since I started using bread flour.

I'm ashamed to admit that for all of my years of cooking I never realized that different types of flour really made a difference. I thought that All Purpose meant that it could be used for everything...and it can...but if you use the "right" flour for the job it can really make a difference in your results. Like the first time I baked a cake using cake flour.

I've since been using bread flour for all of my crusty breads and the results have been fantastic. Things like muffuletta rolls and ciguida bread (an Italian bread that involves pork cracklin's) have been unbelievable.

Yum, I am going to have my husband make homemade pizza tonight!!!

ciguida bread

OH MY. Recipe please!

I agree with the flour thing. We use our whole wheat bread recipe for our pizza's and they are the best. Our recipe is stolen from the Urban Homemaker website.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter