Make a Wish (and other organizations) - Wish Trippers UNITE! Volume SIX!

I have read through this threat in the past and read many Wish trips PTR and trip reports and always enjoying reading how awesome the trip was. I had always thought how awesome to have a wish trip and stay at GKTW but of course never wanted a reason and be able to have a wish trip.

But our whole world changed in July when my son was diagnosed with Kidney cancer (wilms tumor). He has had surgery to have his kidney removed and has been under going chemo. The poor kid has been thru so much in just the short time.

Diego was referred for a Wish and I received an email last week. I had to call for the screening "interview" but the person that needs to do it was out of the office so I am waiting on a return phone call.

We just went to Disney in June (right before we found out) so its not first on Diego's list. He wants to swim with dolphins. So I was thinking Discovery Cove but he also has been seeing commercials for cruises so I think that is what he wants to do. I know he would love a Disney cruise but I think he might be leaning toward Royal Caribbean because it would be a week and they have the rock climbing wall and the surf thing but I think they port for 1 day in Port Canaveral so we might just get our Disney day after all. Of course he is 6 years old so by the time he see the wish granter he could ask for something totally different.

I have read through this threat in the past and read many Wish trips PTR and trip reports and always enjoying reading how awesome the trip was. I had always thought how awesome to have a wish trip and stay at GKTW but of course never wanted a reason and be able to have a wish trip.

But our whole world changed in July when my son was diagnosed with Kidney cancer (wilms tumor). He has had surgery to have his kidney removed and has been under going chemo. The poor kid has been thru so much in just the short time.

Diego was referred for a Wish and I received an email last week. I had to call for the screening "interview" but the person that needs to do it was out of the office so I am waiting on a return phone call.

We just went to Disney in June (right before we found out) so its not first on Diego's list. He wants to swim with dolphins. So I was thinking Discovery Cove but he also has been seeing commercials for cruises so I think that is what he wants to do. I know he would love a Disney cruise but I think he might be leaning toward Royal Caribbean because it would be a week and they have the rock climbing wall and the surf thing but I think they port for 1 day in Port Canaveral so we might just get our Disney day after all. Of course he is 6 years old so by the time he see the wish granter he could ask for something totally different.

Sorry about your sons struggles ! Getting a wish sure is a "mixed" blessing. On one hand it's wonderful to have this opportunity but the reasons for it are not so great. I'm happy your son will get to make a wish .. no mater what it turns out to be !
My son had been to Disney many times and so Disney wasn't his first choice .. he chose Harry Potter World .. which was great because we got to do Disney as well as Universal, plus stayed at GKTW.
I'm sure whatever Diego decides will be made special by the wonderful wish people ! :goodvibes
Please let us know how it all goes !

:welcome: to the Wish Trippers thread!

My DD was diagnosed with a Wilms Tumor (4/07) which was discovered at her 1yr well checkup. She had a nephrectomy and chemo too. We just went last week to her 6yr cancer free visit. I know it is hard but I'm sure you've seen how strong and resilient kids are.

Even if your DS doesn't choose Disney, this thread is a great resource for any Wish family trying to figure out what to expect with the Wish process.

I wish you and your family the strength to get though this 'little' bump in the road. :goodvibes

Thanks for the warm welcome...

I am sure it will be a long process before he gets his wish but thats ok...We love disney and had also wanted to do "harry potter" at some point too...right now he has swimming the the dolphins on his brain...not sure where that even came from...and all the cruise commercials have made him want to do a cruise. Anything is fine by me. I will be so happy to take a break from all this hospital stuff and hopefully by the time he gets his wish we can say he is "cancer free"...

He is such a strong boy but I hate what this is doing to him...not just all the pokes and sickness but it has caused him to have such anxiety about everything. Even when he is feeling well he doesnt want to go anywhere. He also doesnt want me to leave him ever (not even for a quick trip to the grocery store). He is 6 so I know he will remember a lot of this but hoping he also forgets a lot too.

Thanks for the warm welcome...

I am sure it will be a long process before he gets his wish but thats ok...We love disney and had also wanted to do "harry potter" at some point too...right now he has swimming the the dolphins on his brain...not sure where that even came from...and all the cruise commercials have made him want to do a cruise. Anything is fine by me. I will be so happy to take a break from all this hospital stuff and hopefully by the time he gets his wish we can say he is "cancer free"...

He is such a strong boy but I hate what this is doing to him...not just all the pokes and sickness but it has caused him to have such anxiety about everything. Even when he is feeling well he doesnt want to go anywhere. He also doesnt want me to leave him ever (not even for a quick trip to the grocery store). He is 6 so I know he will remember a lot of this but hoping he also forgets a lot too.

Welcome to the wish trip thread!!! It's nice to meet you!!! :wave2:

Hugs to your little guy!!! :grouphug:

Prayers for healing, strength, and peace of mind for you all!!

Happy Wish Trip Planning!!! pixiedust:

Madeline

I already set-up a MAW pre-trip site but wanted to speak up since I've been trolling this site for a couple of days.

First off, thank you so much for putting all of this together. It is super helpful for our family to be able to learn so of the key tips and tricks for Disneyworld. We're flying out there all the way from California so its a long trek for a 4 year old and 2 year old (not to mention Mom and Dad).

Secondly, I'll just try to read and learn more. We are planning on taking my daughter to the BBB in the morning and then lunch at Cinderella's castle. Other than that we don't have anything planned.

Only question is that a couple of friends of our recommended we eat at Tony's at 8pm so we could get a front row seat to the Electrical Parade. Do we need to do this since she will have her badge? Or is it just as easy to check it out.

Thanks for your help and I'm sure we'll have a ton more questions.

The Quigley's

PS I can't access photobucket from this computer so I will have to try it from another one later on tonight.

I already set-up a MAW pre-trip site but wanted to speak up since I've been trolling this site for a couple of days.

First off, thank you so much for putting all of this together. It is super helpful for our family to be able to learn so of the key tips and tricks for Disneyworld. We're flying out there all the way from California so its a long trek for a 4 year old and 2 year old (not to mention Mom and Dad).

Secondly, I'll just try to read and learn more. We are planning on taking my daughter to the BBB in the morning and then lunch at Cinderella's castle. Other than that we don't have anything planned.

Only question is that a couple of friends of our recommended we eat at Tony's at 8pm so we could get a front row seat to the Electrical Parade. Do we need to do this since she will have her badge? Or is it just as easy to check it out.

Thanks for your help and I'm sure we'll have a ton more questions.

The Quigley's

PS I can't access photobucket from this computer so I will have to try it from another one later on tonight.

You don't really have to do that. There are corded off areas you can access with the MAW card. We actually sat right across from the Firehouse (the parade starts right around the corner from there) and we had THE best seats you could ever imagine ! Before the parade starts .. go and find one of those areas and show your card to the CM .. they are very willing to help you out !

I've heard that Disney has eliminated their Guest Assistance Cards. Has anyone on this forum done a trip since they've gotten rid of them and if that also applies to MAW kids?

Just curious as we are trying to plan out our trip and that would require us to make some reservations for dinner and things like that so we can watch the parade's that the kiddos want to see.

Thank you again,
TJ

I've heard that Disney has eliminated their Guest Assistance Cards. Has anyone on this forum done a trip since they've gotten rid of them and if that also applies to MAW kids?

Just curious as we are trying to plan out our trip and that would require us to make some reservations for dinner and things like that so we can watch the parade's that the kiddos want to see.

Thank you again,
TJ

Actually, the change-over from GAC to DAS hasn't quite occurred yet -- scheduled to be effective on October 9th.

That said, it is my understanding MAW kids will continue as usual, no change for you. The sponsoring organization will provide you with whatever is needed to make your trip magical. pixiedust:

If you are interested...here is the thread about the changes: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3178976. The first few posts give the details, the rest is questions and answers. But again, this should not impact MAW trips!

Enjoy your vacation!

Thank you for your help....this board is great and I really appreciate all the feedback and support!

Oh I so know what you mean - it's the trip you never WANT to have to take, but are so grateful that you get all the extra magical help to take it , to help make their suffering that much "easier" to handle.

hope all goes well with the process for you all - we are just early on in our MAW journey also!

terra

YIPPEEE SKIPPEEEEE!!!!!

Just heard from our Wish Granters! Tentatively have our first meeting set up for October 13th!

So glad i got that news RIGHT before finding out that my car that's been in the shop for two weeks is going to cost a ridiculous amount of money that we don't really have to fix - and that my husband was rear-ended on the way to the dealership to try to work out payment for my car. He has only been home this past Sunday from work in the past two weeks so hoping that we are able to have some good quality stress-free time in the next two days before he leaves again.

it's always something, isn't it??

Anyways - let the good news triumph over the bad - Wish Granter meeting has been set!!!!

terra

Terra, I'm sorry to hear about your troubles! :worried: But I'm sure things will work out! So happy to hear you have a date!

Hi everyone,

I hope you don't mind me posting here as I'm not a wish tripper?

My husband is a professional photographer and has just found out he has been selected to accompany a group of seriously ill children and their families on a trip to Florida from here in the UK. He really wants to do his best to document this trip for the families and to give them photos to treasure.

If any of you have the time could you let us know what sort of photos might mean the most to families? Or any other tips you have so that he can make this as special as possible and give these families some much needed :pixiedust:

Thank you for any help you can give and I hope you all have wonderful wish trips

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on planning out our trip. My husband and I just sat down to look over all the different rides, attractions, restaurants, etc. We're beyond overwhelmed. I know it's not possible to see everything in the time we have, so we want to focus on what we think the kids will enjoy the most. I'm more of a go with the flow kind of person and the thought of creating an itinerary/plan of action is driving me nuts, but I know we don't it will be mass chaos with full blown temper tantrums and melt-downs from all 3 kids and an overwhelmed momma.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. This is our first family trip to a theme park and the last time I was at Disney World was 20 years ago.

Thanks! :)

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on planning out our trip. My husband and I just sat down to look over all the different rides, attractions, restaurants, etc. We're beyond overwhelmed. I know it's not possible to see everything in the time we have, so we want to focus on what we think the kids will enjoy the most. I'm more of a go with the flow kind of person and the thought of creating an itinerary/plan of action is driving me nuts, but I know we don't it will be mass chaos with full blown temper tantrums and melt-downs from all 3 kids and an overwhelmed momma.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. This is our first family trip to a theme park and the last time I was at Disney World was 20 years ago.

Thanks! :)

My advice would be talk with each of the people in your family and ask them what are their must do attractions. As you said there is no way you can do it all so you will need to focus on what's most important for you all. For example we love animals as a family so we didn't want to miss animal attractions. Also, we live by Disneyland so we skipped all the rides that we had already ridden on... which were tons!!!

Think about your family favorites. Check park maps and make a plan from there. Have fun with it!!! :yay::dance3::yay:

I hope that helps,

Madeline

Hi everyone,

My husband is a professional photographer and has just found out he has been selected to accompany a group of seriously ill children and their families on a trip to Florida from here in the UK. He really wants to do his best to document this trip for the families and to give them photos to treasure.

If any of you have the time could you let us know what sort of photos might mean the most to families? Or any other tips you have so that he can make this as special as possible and give these families some much needed :pixiedust:

Thank you for any help you can give and I hope you all have wonderful wish trips

That is awesome that you husband is able to do that and very nice of him to try and capture the most magical memories.

My advice would be:

1) Characters, Characters, Characters!!! ::MinnieMo::MickeyMo- Some of my favorite pictures are pictures with my daughter during the character interactions. I would suggest that your husband always keep an eye out. Often the cutest pictures are right as they are meeting the characters and before they pose. I've seen kids jump for joy, smile with glee, hug the characters and my own son kissed Mickey right on his nose!!! It was cute but the cameras were not ready to capture it. So be ready during character interactions to capture the surprise and wonder of it all!!

2) Candid family shots or Candid shots of brothers and sisters with the theme park in the background!!! These are some of the funniest shots I have. For example, my son 16 was searching the map with his little sister 6 it is the cutest shot!!! Siblings holding hands, being carried on big brothers shoulders are super adorable too!!

3) And of course the whole family with castle or other Disney landmark in the background is a must have!!!

Give you husband a great big thank you for me!!! :thumbsup2

I hope this helps,

Madeline

Hi Madeline,

Thank you so much for your suggestions, that is just the sort of insight my husband was looking for :)

Family friends lost their little one to cancer last year, so he has seen how precious these pictures can be, and wants to do the very best he can for all the families he will be travelling with.

Thank you again

That is awesome that you husband is able to do that and very nice of him to try and capture the most magical memories.

My advice would be:

1) Characters, Characters, Characters!!! ::MinnieMo::MickeyMo- Some of my favorite pictures are pictures with my daughter during the character interactions. I would suggest that your husband always keep an eye out. Often the cutest pictures are right as they are meeting the characters and before they pose. I've seen kids jump for joy, smile with glee, hug the characters and my own son kissed Mickey right on his nose!!! It was cute but the cameras were not ready to capture it. So be ready during character interactions to capture the surprise and wonder of it all!!

2) Candid family shots or Candid shots of brothers and sisters with the theme park in the background!!! These are some of the funniest shots I have. For example, my son 16 was searching the map with his little sister 6 it is the cutest shot!!! Siblings holding hands, being carried on big brothers shoulders are super adorable too!!

3) And of course the whole family with castle or other Disney landmark in the background is a must have!!!

Give you husband a great big thank you for me!!! :thumbsup2

I hope this helps,

Madeline

Hi everyone,

Echoing everything Madeline already said - I would add in the two cents that while most people think a photographer is there to capture the "posed" moments, what I would encourage your husband to also seek out is more of the photojournalistic opportunities.
Photograph the large amount of medical supplies some families must lug around to the parks with them. document the weariness on the faces of the moms just getting out the door of the hotel, hoping desperately for a few good minutes for their child at the park, praying that all of the chaos of the past hour of packing/giving meds/double checking bags is worth it with one huge smile on their child's face.
Be there to capture the look of joy on the childs face when they first glimpse the castle on the monorail ride in.
Be there to capture the absolute MAGIC that happens when that sick child rolls through the gates into the happiest place on earth, and watch the transformation come over them as they forget their pains/illnesses/struggles for that one day.

I say all of this because this is what happened for my daughter last January when we took her. We only could afford two days in the park - but I tell you those two days were absolutely magical for her. I had to fight very hard to get her out of the hospital four days before we left, and i spent those four days at home packing medical supplies and stressing over everything - but seeing the absolute amazement on her face, and getting to see her meet Cinderella, her hero, oh my gosh it was all so worth it! As a photographer myself, I had set my husband up at one angle, my MIL at another, and then the photopass photog was ready to go at her spot - and i cherish every single one of the 90+ pics that got taken in that moment. I only have one picture though, of ten minutes before going into the princess room, where she was having a very rough time, very nauseated, trying to catheterize her in line, get her heart rate calmed down, help her wait just a few more minutes to see her princess. But seeing the contrast in those pictures makes me know that place is SO full of magic.
Sorry this is long winded - but I hope your husband is able to help capture the whole story for these families. It is not easy to take a very ill child to disney. It's not easy to take them on a quick trip to the grocery store most days!
But the magic of disney is everywhere. Let the photopass photogs capture the posed images - let him be the fly on the wall capturing the rest of the story!

I wish him the best of luck - what an awesome opportunity for both him AND the families he gets to document!

terra

Echoing everything Madeline already said - I would add in the two cents that while most people think a photographer is there to capture the "posed" moments, what I would encourage your husband to also seek out is more of the photojournalistic opportunities. Photograph the large amount of medical supplies some families must lug around to the parks with them. document the weariness on the faces of the moms just getting out the door of the hotel, hoping desperately for a few good minutes for their child at the park, praying that all of the chaos of the past hour of packing/giving meds/double checking bags is worth it with one huge smile on their child's face. Be there to capture the look of joy on the childs face when they first glimpse the castle on the monorail ride in. Be there to capture the absolute MAGIC that happens when that sick child rolls through the gates into the happiest place on earth, and watch the transformation come over them as they forget their pains/illnesses/struggles for that one day. I say all of this because this is what happened for my daughter last January when we took her. We only could afford two days in the park - but I tell you those two days were absolutely magical for her. I had to fight very hard to get her out of the hospital four days before we left, and i spent those four days at home packing medical supplies and stressing over everything - but seeing the absolute amazement on her face, and getting to see her meet Cinderella, her hero, oh my gosh it was all so worth it! As a photographer myself, I had set my husband up at one angle, my MIL at another, and then the photopass photog was ready to go at her spot - and i cherish every single one of the 90+ pics that got taken in that moment. I only have one picture though, of ten minutes before going into the princess room, where she was having a very rough time, very nauseated, trying to catheterize her in line, get her heart rate calmed down, help her wait just a few more minutes to see her princess. But seeing the contrast in those pictures makes me know that place is SO full of magic. Sorry this is long winded - but I hope your husband is able to help capture the whole story for these families. It is not easy to take a very ill child to disney. It's not easy to take them on a quick trip to the grocery store most days! But the magic of disney is everywhere. Let the photopass photogs capture the posed images - let him be the fly on the wall capturing the rest of the story! I wish him the best of luck - what an awesome opportunity for both him AND the families he gets to document! terra

Just have to say, that ^^ was lovely, and I'm in tears from picturing some of these moments, for other families, and for my own. Thank you for these special insights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter