Make a Wish (and other organizations) - Wish Trippers UNITE! Volume SIX!

Discussion in 'disABILITIES!' started by maroo, Mar 23, 2013.

1. gertiesquidge

gertiesquidge Mouseketeer

Hi Terra,

Thank you so much for your suggestions :thumbsup2 My husband's photography style to capture the candid moments, but I don't think he would have thought to get the tired/stressed looks! But you are right that really will show the magic Disney sprinkles when the families compare those pictures with those of the children meeting the characters/riding a ride/watching a parade :)

Thank you again

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. disney*mom*82

disney*mom*82 DIS Veteran

Hello! I have some questions for MAW families. We recently brought home our 4.5 year old son from China. He is an awesome kiddo. He was recently diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy. It seems pretty mild, but it does cause him every day issues that will be lifelong. He is able to walk but had a leg brace custom made recently, which he is really struggling with. Anyways... he has had an obsession with Mickey and friends since I met him in China. (First sign he was ours!) He just went crazy over a WDW commercial last week and I think he would LOVE WDW. His physical therapist mentioned he might be eligible for MAW. Im not familiar with their guidelines. Does anyone know if he would fall under their criteria? I would love to hear back from some of you, Ide hate to bother MAW with our request if he doesn't qualify. Thank you!

4. kritter47

kritter47 Mouseketeer

Talk to your medical providers about eligibility for MaW. The criteria is "life-threatening medical condition" with some specific medical eligibility forms sent out to doctors outlining more specific criteria. The doctors are actually the ones with the final power over eligibility, though I don't know the specific instructions they are given.

5. dawnp15

dawnp15 Earning My Ears

Hi! I'm brand new here and feeling really overwhelmed :(

Our DD2 who just turned 5 had been approved for a wish through a local wish foundation. We have our meeting with our "wish wizards" coming up soon to make the final 3 wish choices. Her #1 choice is Disney of course and really we are all really excited this may actually come true for her.

I know nothing about Disney...idk what attractions there all are, how to set everything up for meeting characters, or dinners, or anything :( I've been trying to read on here as much as i can with my free time, which has helped some. I guess once i know her wish has been approved, i know when we are going ect...that will help me with planning...right lol??

6. icecreamforbreakfast

icecreamforbreakfast Mouseketeer

You've come to the right place to learn :) :welcome: if you are staying at Give Kids the World some characters come there to meet. At the parks you will be given front of the line privileges to meet characters. I don't know how to book meals in the parks as we've never done it, but I'm sure there are many others on here that can help you with that. As for not knowing about attractions etc... when we went on our son's wish trip, we spent very little time in the parks as he was not well. We still had a fabulous time enjoying the rides we did get on and shows we watched. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't stress out trying to figure out it ALL so you can do EVERYTHING, instead enjoy finding out what you can ahead of time and then just relax and go have an amazing time. There will probably be some that think I'm nuts offering that advice, but that's my opinion on how to deal with it without feeling entirely overwhelmed before going and then disappointed that you didn't do everything while on your trip!

Have fun planning! :goodvibes

7. disneybirthday

disneybirthday Earning My Ears

The time has come!!!!!! Its Wish Day!! We are headed to DIsney today for Sydneys wish trip!!! Super excited to see Mickey!!!
    Thank you to everyone who provided great tips and info for this trip for us!!! Hope that we will be able to bring back a great trip report!:cool1::rotfl::banana::dance3::yay::cheer2::woohoo:

8. Lilfoot93

Lilfoot93 DIS Veteran

Wishing you a magical trip!!!

Jackie

9. nesser1981

nesser1981 DIS Veteran

Haven't stopped by in awhile, just wanted to say hi to all the new wish families! I think about our trip all the time, almost 2 years later it was still one of the most amazing things we've done!

Hope you're getting lots of great information here.

10. uwquigman

uwquigman Earning My Ears

Can't believe we are leaving tomorrow AM for our Wish. Long flight from Cali with a 20 month old and a 4 year old wish kid but sooooooo loooking forward to this. Hopefully it doesn't rain and we get great weather. Will try to post a trip report with photos this time (darn photo bucket).

Anyway, just wanted to say thank you for all the tips and tricks. Gonna be a magical (well paced and not overloaded with too much) week.

Take care!

11. 4pmama

4pmama Earning My Ears

We will be there on Monday night! Yay! Have an amazing time, and maybe we will see you there!

12. 4pmama

4pmama Earning My Ears

Also, we have a similarly long trek coming from Oregon with a 22-month-old sibling who hates to be still...wishing for safe happy travels!

13. Redwavess

Redwavess Mallory's Magical Wish

I'm so excited for both of you and your families!!! Happy Wish Tripping!!!! :goodvibes

Magic here you come!!!! pixiedust:

Hugs,

Madeline

14. terratalking

terratalking Earning My Ears

Ok I must not be looking in the right places - but where do I find a list of events at GKTW? like for planning purposes to know "monday night is this party" and "friday night is that party" type of stuff?

If anyone can help direct me that way that would be awesome and appreciated!! thank you!

terra

15. that's nice

that's nice DIS Dad #330

Here is the GKTW handbook.... weekly schedule is on page 21. :goodvibes

http://www.gktw.org/pre/pdf/village-guide.pdf

Weekly Entertainment Schedule
    Sunday
    " Ashleys Art Corner from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. in the Castle of Miracles
    " The Worlds Largest CANDY LAND Game from 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at Matthews Boundless Playground*
    Monday
    " Disney Character photos at Julies Safari Theatre and Castle of Miracles from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. " Discovery Cove Animal Encounter from 6:45 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on the Avenue of Angels
    " Mayor Claytons Hare-Raising Halloween from 7 p.m to 8:30 p.m. on the Avenue of Angels
    " Family Dive-In Movie at sundown at the Park of Dreams Ship Stage*
    Tuesday
    " Nickelodeon Character photos in the Castle of Miracles from 8:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. " Mayor Claytons Birthday Party from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. on the Avenue of Angels* " Fishing at the Happy Harbor Gazebo from 6:45 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.*
    Wednesday
    " Horseback Riding from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. at Keatons Korral*
    " Village Idol on the Avenue of Angels followed by Julies Safari Theatre from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
    Thursday
    " Disney Character photos at Julies Safari Theatre and Castle of Miracles from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m.
    " Winter Wonderland from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. along the Avenue of Angels*
    " Winter Wonderland Parade at 8 p.m. on the Avenue of Angels*
    " Santa Claus in Julies Safari Theatre from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Dont forget to pick out your
    Christmas surprise!
    Friday
    " Universal Orlando Character photos from 8:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. in the Castle of Miracles
    " Pirates and Princesses Party with Shamu and friends from 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the Park of
    Dreams Ship Stage*
    " Ms. Merrys Tea Party from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the Castle of Miracles
    Saturday
    " Horseback Riding from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. at Keatons Korral*
    " Poolside cookout at the Park of Dreams from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.*
    " Big Splash Bash in the Park of Dreams from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.* " Family Dive-In Movie at sundown at the Park of Dreams Ship Stage*

*Activity may be canceled or moved to an alternate location in the event of inclement weather.

16. terratalking

terratalking Earning My Ears

Thank you so much!! Very helpful to have an idea of times/activities!

Terra

17. Meeks23

Meeks23 Earning My Ears

Hey All! :wave2: I so wish I would have had more time to be on the boards while waiting for Jerzey's trip to come....but just so much that has been going on with wedding planning (Big Day Saturday!) and sports and hunting and OH MY!!!!! So we leave on Monday for WDW and I am starting my lists of what all we need....with the Halloween Party at GKTW do we bring the kids' costumes with us from home or do they have costumes there for it? And any tips on what to bring or what you don't need to bring would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks everyone!!!:lovestruc

18. Redwavess

Redwavess Mallory's Magical Wish

The biggest must have for my kids at the airport was their video games. That really helped pass the time. I'm not sure about the Halloween party, but for the other parties if the kids wanted to dress up like a princess or pirate or in Christmas clothes etc we had to bring them with us. So, I would suggest that you bring for them what they might want to wear. We went in February and many of the parks have water play so it might help to have a swim suit or change of clothes in case. Of course the weather might not permit that, but I wish I would have known to do this before our trip.

Happy Wedding!!! :goodvibes

And Happy Wish Tripping!!! :woohoo:

Madeline

19. Meeks23

Meeks23 Earning My Ears

Thanks for the tips!!!!!!

20. sunleigh

sunleigh Earning My Ears

My daughter will be heading to Disney for the first time in January for her wish trip. Sadly during Januray GKTW is closed :sad1: This is the only month we can go, I am in school for respiratory therapy and on break then. We do not want to prolong my daughters trip due to her medical fragile state. Any cold can take her from us at this point so we feel time is of the essence. I am bummed that we will not be at GKTW and stressed more now about meals and the possiblity of bad weather. Can anyone suggest indoor activities to do on Disney properties if the weather would get bad, as in too cold for my DD? Anyone experience January weather, what should I be really expecting? Thanks in advance, we are pretty well versed in Disney just not in colder weather or when taking our sweet disabled lady along for the trip :)

Leigh

21. rymahoney

rymahoney Mouseketeer

The weather is so unpredictable. We went last right after New Years and it was warm everyday but one. 70-85. The other day it's was in upper 60's. So never cold. But we know people that went 2 weeks before and they had to wear coats and gloves almost everyday. So it's so hard to tell. We are chancing it again this year and going jan 7th - 14th. Anyway I hope your daughter had a wonderful time !