Make a Wish (and other organizations) ~ Wish Trippers UNITE! Volume FIVE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our wish granters came the other night to bring us our travel docs and expense check ! They were awesome and I finally got my BIGGEST question answered ... I do not have to return the rental back at he airport after our GKTW portion ! I have to return it to the hotel across the street from DTD. Plus I don't have to return it until 6pm that night. Yay .. No rushing around on that day !! Then we'll use Disney transportation for the remainder of our tip.
That is ONE big thing off my chest ! :thumbsup2

YAY for travel docs and expense check!! So glad that you were able to finally get an answer on how to return the rental! Not TOO much longer!!!

Hi everyone,

I've been meaning to post an intro forever and keep getting interrupted!
We are coming to Disney for the first time. My son turns 10 the day we leave for our trip. We are going thru make wish for my daughter Kristin who is 6 wth multiple disabilities. Getting really excited but starting to stress a little about packing etc.

She is on a special formula that has to stay cold but has to be warmed before I give it to her. Wondering what everyone would suggest for the easiest way to handle that. Its not always at a mealtime. I've considered hot packs, micowave or getting hot water at the parks. What do you think would be easiest??

Also if we have to choose between a day at Universal Islands of Adventure and SeaWorld what do you think? Who likes which one better and why? ARe they both very accessible?

Thanks so much for your help!

Hi everybody, I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction because I have no idea where to ask this question.

My sister in law and her family just received the dates for their MAW trip and will be at GKTW starting on 5/13/2012. They are pretty new to WDW, and she is not a member here on the DIS (though I've tried :confused3). She wants to make customized tee shirts for the family to wear on the trip and I am hoping that someone with some experience in this area can help me get started on this for her.

Any help is greatly appreciated! :thumbsup2

Hi All,

I'm a mom of 3 and have just found this board. We are heading to GKTW from April 3-10 for my son's wish trip. I wish I had found this sooner, there is so much amazing information here.

We were planning to just go with the flow for our trip, but it looks like we should have an itinerary or rough plan of what parks to hit and when?

Also, my wish kid has very little energy or patience and I'm a little worried about this being a disaster trip because of Easter/Spring break lineups. Does the GKTW or MAW button help us through the lines at all?

Also, my wish kid has very little energy or patience and I'm a little worried about this being a disaster trip because of Easter/Spring break lineups. Does the GKTW or MAW button help us through the lines at all?

The button and the GAC they give works wonders. We joked on the way home how could we go back and do it normal? It lets you skip the line for charterers (we got the dagger eyes at Rapunzel because the line was an **hour** long), acts as a fast pass for rides. Some rides they gave us the handicapped entrance and then put us right on the next car. Whether or not that happens depends on the CM at the ride. Epcot and MK, have lounges where you can relax and rest for bit. AK is a lot lot lot of walking, so using a stroller, if he is small enough for one would be something to think about it. Have fun!

Good afternoon everyone!

I am the father of 5 children, two of whom were born with the most severe form of congenital muscular dystrophy, Walker Warburg Syndrome. One of my daughters, Ava Rose, passed away at the age of 2.5 a litte more than 2 years ago. My wish child, Keira, is 3 and doing well considering what she has. Keira is trached and on a ventilator (for CPAP support only) 24 hours a day. Recently MAW granted her wish to go to Disney. So we'll be on our way on April 22nd! I am really getting nervous about everything.

MAW assures us that everything will be fine. I guess I'm not so much worried about Keira's health during the travel (she's been stable since June of 2010), as I am logistically, dealing with all her equipment. We're planning to travel with the bare minimum on the plane, as MAW told us they will be ordering/delivering all her necessary equipment to GKTW.

I love reading all the tips for while we are there, but do any of you have tips for the travel part? What should we do to minimize issues at the airport and on the plane? Also, does anyone have a Kid Kart? Its a bulky wheel chair that we have tons of problems collapsing to easily fit in the car. I can just imagine how many problems the airlines will have...I just hope they don't break it because it's expensive!

26 more days and we'll be on our way. Anyone else going down during that time?

The button and the GAC they give works wonders. We joked on the way home how could we go back and do it normal? It lets you skip the line for charterers (we got the dagger eyes at Rapunzel because the line was an **hour** long), acts as a fast pass for rides. Some rides they gave us the handicapped entrance and then put us right on the next car. Whether or not that happens depends on the CM at the ride. Epcot and MK, have lounges where you can relax and rest for bit. AK is a lot lot lot of walking, so using a stroller, if he is small enough for one would be something to think about it. Have fun!

Thank you!

Also, I was wondering if we needed to rent a stroller there for him instead of bringing one, can the rentals get the "wheelchair" pass, or is that only if I take my own?

There is so much information on here, neat tips and tricks, you guys are all so awesome!! I've spent my day reading people's trip reports and I'm just floored by some of the amazing trips people have had.

Thank you!

Also, I was wondering if we needed to rent a stroller there for him instead of bringing one, can the rentals get the "wheelchair" pass, or is that only if I take my own?

There is so much information on here, neat tips and tricks, you guys are all so awesome!! I've spent my day reading people's trip reports and I'm just floored by some of the amazing trips people have had.

We didn't need one, the kids are too big for one. The button gets a free wheelchair or stroller rental. So unless yours is a special needs stroller, you don't need to bring one. Maybe an umbrella for places outside the park, like Downtown Disney or CityWalk if you are just hanging out and shopping.

I haven't had the chance to check out the entire site yet...where can you read trip reports at?

:yay: My daughter Emma, 9, will have her wish to go to WDW somewhere within the next yr.! Emma was born with Congenital Heart Defects (TGA, PS, and a VSD). To look at her now you couldn't guess how sick her heart is. We are SSSOOOOOO excited about her wish trip and just wanted to connect with some Wish Trippers and see how this blessing will work. Just wondering.... Dana
Mom to 2 Miracles Emma, 9 and Ryan, 7

WElcome to the new families!!! This site was a HUGE source of information for my family while we were planning my daughters wish trip.

Trip Reports are at the beginning of the thread. You can click on individual links. They are sometimes in peoples signatures as well. It's been since December of 2010 since we went. WE had a great time!!

I actually just finished Allison's TR. I know it took a while, and I am actually quite sad to not have to write anymore. It was another way to relive it!! Check out her trip We are planning a new trip as well. GKTW made such an impact on us we are going back this summer to volunteer!!!

I couldn't help but notice the CHD statistics at the bottom of your post. My daughter also has CHDs. Has your daughter already been on her MAW trip?

Dana
Mom to 2 Miracles
Emma, 9 (wish kid), and Ryan, 7

I haven't had the chance to check out the entire site yet...where can you read trip reports at?

Go up to the top of this page and hit first (where all the page numbers are listed in a row). It should have a list of all the pre-trip reports and trip reports both finished and not. Also, it will have a lot of other handy hints and stuff on the first few posts in this thread and links to previous wish tripper threads. :goodvibes

Here's a link : http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2807833

Good afternoon everyone!

I am the father of 5 children, two of whom were born with the most severe form of congenital muscular dystrophy, Walker Warburg Syndrome. One of my daughters, Ava Rose, passed away at the age of 2.5 a litte more than 2 years ago. My wish child, Keira, is 3 and doing well considering what she has. Keira is trached and on a ventilator (for CPAP support only) 24 hours a day. Recently MAW granted her wish to go to Disney. So we'll be on our way on April 22nd! I am really getting nervous about everything.

MAW assures us that everything will be fine. I guess I'm not so much worried about Keira's health during the travel (she's been stable since June of 2010), as I am logistically, dealing with all her equipment. We're planning to travel with the bare minimum on the plane, as MAW told us they will be ordering/delivering all her necessary equipment to GKTW.

I love reading all the tips for while we are there, but do any of you have tips for the travel part? What should we do to minimize issues at the airport and on the plane? Also, does anyone have a Kid Kart? Its a bulky wheel chair that we have tons of problems collapsing to easily fit in the car. I can just imagine how many problems the airlines will have...I just hope they don't break it because it's expensive!

26 more days and we'll be on our way. Anyone else going down during that time?

We will be at GKTW from April 21-27th. I bet you will see us- with so many kids we tend to stick out. Would love to say HI in person. There will be a few families from these boards there during that time. So nice to meet you!
Blessings,
Sarah

We will be at GKTW from April 21-27th. I bet you will see us- with so many kids we tend to stick out. Would love to say HI in person. There will be a few families from these boards there during that time. So nice to meet you!
Blessings,
Sarah

Nice to meet you as well! We'll stick out just as much as you. between Keira, my wife, myself, my 3 other kids and Keira's 3 nurses, there will be alot of us!

Hi All,

I'm a mom of 3 and have just found this board. We are heading to GKTW from April 3-10 for my son's wish trip. I wish I had found this sooner, there is so much amazing information here.

We were planning to just go with the flow for our trip, but it looks like we should have an itinerary or rough plan of what parks to hit and when?

We'll be there at the same time ! Maybe we'll run into each other. :thumbsup2
Just look for the ID twins wearing really cute Disney shirts. :goodvibes

Jayden (my wish kid) tires easily and so I'll be renting a double stroller. Even though he is 7 he tires easily and has problems with standing in crowds and waiting. We'll be having his stroller tagged as a wheelchair. Don't worry about the crowds .. the buttons will get you though the lines quicker.

Glad you found this thread .. Feel free to ask all the questions you want !! :goodvibes

Hi All,

The button that you get from GKTW will help alot. You will be able to skip all lines for shows, rides, and characters. I'm a regular volunteer at GKTW and easy to find because I wear a HP robe when I'm there. Have a great trip! It will be the best week ever!!

You can also ask at GKTW if they have any strollers to borrow. That's what we did, we had a double stroller for the week we got from them. It was nice having it for the parking lots at the end of the day.

Thank you!

Blessings,
Sarah

Fun we'll be there april 19-25th. Handfull of us at the same time. I know theres another wish kid in my area going around the 17th. So exciting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter