• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MAC computers vs. other brands

left210

DIS Veteran
I am thinking about getting a new computer. Not sure yet if will go with laptop or desktop. I am considering a MAC but really do not know much about them other than they cannot get viruses which is nice. I will mainly use it for internet surfing and photo editing/storage. I do back up my photos but like to have them readily available. I currently use Photoshop Elements so not sure if that is fine with MAC or not. So please tell me the pros and cons of a MAC vs going with HP/Compaq, etc. Also, pros and cons of laptop. We currently have both but I cannot decide which would be best. I do like using my mouse when I work on photo editing but I guess I could get a wireless mouse for the laptop. Please help me decide. Thanks.

I am thinking about getting a new computer. Not sure yet if will go with laptop or desktop. I am considering a MAC but really do not know much about them other than they cannot get viruses which is nice. I will mainly use it for internet surfing and photo editing/storage. I do back up my photos but like to have them readily available. I currently use Photoshop Elements so not sure if that is fine with MAC or not. So please tell me the pros and cons of a MAC vs going with HP/Compaq, etc. Also, pros and cons of laptop. We currently have both but I cannot decide which would be best. I do like using my mouse when I work on photo editing but I guess I could get a wireless mouse for the laptop. Please help me decide. Thanks.

I don't know about Photoshop Elements but almost everything you can find for a PC they also make for a mac. I have my mac for the past 3 years and have not once had a problem with it. Its an unbelievable computer. I have a laptop and I love it but at my office I use a mac desktop and they are both great. Its just a matter of preference. Also, if you do have a problem with your mac, they stand 100% behind their products. My sister had a "lemon" and after going back and forth having them fix it (all under warranty) they just replaced it with a brand new computer.

It's not that Macs cannot get viruses. It's just that most viruses out there are written for PCs because there are more of them. As more people purchase Macs, more viruses will target them.

If all you use a computer for is the Internet and photo work, get a netbook or a cheap laptop. Like... $300-500 max. Paying a name premium for a Macintosh would be ridiculous and a waste of money (really, $1400 to surf the internet??).

I absolutely love my MAC and would never consider buying a PC for "myself" again. That being said, I did buy a PC for my dd last winter because it was only $399. The only drawback/downside I can think of about buying a MAC is the price. Although they're nowhere near as high in price as they once were (and had tons of tech issues then) they are still much pricier than their PC counterparts.

My Mac has Windows XP on it too, so I didn't have to go out and buy the windows software I had before and replace it with Mac software but that does open it up for viruses.

If you're just looking to surf the net and do some photo stuff here and there you can save some $$ by buying a PC, personally though having had both over the past 20 yrs, it's a Mac for "me".:thumbsup2 Definitely much more user-friendly.;)

If all you use a computer for is the Internet and photo work, get a netbook or a cheap laptop. Like... $300-500 max. Paying a name premium for a Macintosh would be ridiculous and a waste of money (really, $1400 to surf the internet??).

So what do people use MAC's for that warrant the expense? I was just thinking the security of not getting viruses because of online banking and I dont want to take the risk of losing photos (over 20,000 photos). So those of you that have switched was it worth the price?

I like my MAC because it has never had any kind of issue. The last Dell I bought, and the last HP I bought, both had boot issues from the get go. Very annoying. And, they didn't last very well. The MAC is flat out the best computer I've ever had. Once you go MAC, you can't go back. LOL!

A Mac is never ridiculous or a waste of money. Yes a Mac is more of an upfront investment,but they do not have all the problems that go along with a PC a mac almost takes care of it's self and Apple has the best customer service. I love my Mac and my ipad2 and Ipodtouch all great products and worth every penny.

When you spend $300 on a PC you get a $300 headache

We just bought our first Mac laptop 4 months ago. The one thing I really like is it boots up in about 5 seconds. And shuts off even quicker. No more waiting and waiting and waiting for the start menu, the icons, and the menu bar to populate. If you have Elements 9, the Mac version is included in the PC package. Organizer is now also available. There are many differences, tho, and I would recommend the $99 personal training program Apple stores run- you can get personal training as often as u like.

I meant to also mention that depending on how many photos you are storing, a laptop will not have the hard drive capacity of a desk top, so keep that in mind. A desk top could also be set up with duplicate hard drives for instant back ups.

I believe Apple has a great back up system called Time Machine, but I haven't used it.

So what do people use MAC's for that warrant the expense? I was just thinking the security of not getting viruses because of online banking and I dont want to take the risk of losing photos (over 20,000 photos). So those of you that have switched was it worth the price?

It's not just the virus issue, it's lots of other issues that occur with Windows that don't occur on the Mac (at least the Macs that were made in the past 5-10 yrs). The Mac is more user friendly as Windows continues to try to mimic Mac's OS and just doesn't quite get there.

I have to admit back in the 90s I hated my MAC and that caused me to switch to PC. Constant crashes and conflicts over and over, but not anymore AT ALL. Windows has it's conflicts, crashes, issues, etc...I just don't find that with my Mac and that in itself (to me) is worth the expense.;)

Oh and I love IPhoto and my IPhone and I Calendar, etc. as it all is compatible and VERY USER Friendly. :) When I first got this Mac I put Windows XP on it so I could still use any Windows apps but as time went on I found myself opening it less and less. I'm too cheap to buy Office for Mac so that's about the only thing I use Windows for anymore.:goodvibes

My MAC desktop is 6 years old - It JUST "crashed" 3 months ago. Needed a new hard drive. $200 at the apple store, new OS, all the software I had reinstalled and I am good to go.

This is why I have a MAC and spent the $$ all those years ago. Because it will last WAY longer than a PC. I burned my last HP laptop up after only 1 1/2 years - I do a lot of family pics and movies. The MAC is the BEST for movies. Nothing beats Imovie software!

Also - ANY peripheral device you buy or have a MAC will recognize - WITHOUT a CD. So no more - inserting CD you can't find for cameras or printers. MAC set up is the easiest! This also includes internet.

I know computer programers are going to say MAC are for people who don't know computers - I happen to think that you should not need a BS in Computer Engineering to have your camera/printer/internet talk to your computer.

So that is my two cents for why buy a MAC - but that being said - if I was only using it for surfing the net and a little word processing here and there...I might just buy a cheap windows based laptop. Which is what I plan to do for my daughter (she is 10 and does not warrant the $$ for a MAC just yet)!:)

PS - I DO NOT have Windows on my MAC. I personally HATE Windows. I use it for work and have had the "updates" completely screw up and rearrange my computer...goodness I hate Windows!!!:mad:

I switched to a Mac last year and will never go back. My Mac is just easy. I use it mostly to surf the net, play with photos, and I have budget software on it, and it was worth every penny. We have pc's at work, and I've always had one at home, and it seems like I was constantly having problems with them. I wanted something that just WORKED, and my Mac does.

That said, do take the class they offer on getting to know your Mac. I didn't, and I still have to stop and think sometimes when I'm looking for a file. The file structure different than a pc, and takes some getting used to.

We've had a Mac for a year and a half and I will never go back to a PC. They are so much more user-friendly than any PC I have ever owned. I've never had an issue with viruses but I'm still cautious about clicking links or opening attachments. We have the desktop but I did just buy an iPad which to me is like having a laptop. We also chose to buy a refurbished Mac (through the Apple Store website) and saved a few hundred dollars going that way. It looked brand new out of the box and we've never had an issue with it. HTH!:)

Be wary making comparisons between Mac and PC's that you see advertised...no pun intended but make sure you are comparing apples to apples :)

All Macs have i5 or i7 intel processors. Many PC's are being offered with outdated Dual core, core duo and sometimes i3. Yes a MAC will cost you more, but you are getting a "newer" more current computer.

That, and the fact that MAC is AWESOME!!!! They are easy to use, less chance of virus, but still get anti-virus ( you can pass to PC users)

I had a problem of sorts with the new Lion software. I called Apple and got a tech in Arizona. Not India, China or the Philippines.

My friend is going to school for graphic design. She was required to have a mac. They use all kinds of adobe programs....

if you know someone in college see if they can get you the school pricing :)

Just bought my first MAC and I will never go back to PC. It's been easy enough to figure out, especially the short-cut keys.

Careful with the line about Mac's "cannot get viruses"... that's not entirely true. All things equal they're FAR less likely to get one, but that doesn't mean they're perfectly safe, either.

The question I would ask, is there any specific reason why you want to get a Mac? Since you say you don't know much about them, I'd recommend going to a local Apple store or authorized retailer and giving one a try; spend a good amount of time messing with it.

Photoshop is available for Mac or Windows platforms; basic internet usage, etc, is fine on either platform (though personally I'd install Chrome over the default browser, in either case)

The best reason-- really the only reason in my opinion-- to choose a Mac, is because either you simply like the feel of working on a Mac, like the OS better, or there's software only available for Mac that you want. Since the software is not an issue for you here, it's about what you like to work on. Do keep in mind, however, that there's definitely a price premium to be paid for the Mac. Arguably worth it if that's the system you like to use, but if you're indifferent, it may be much harder to justify the expenditure.

I love my Mac for the Genius Bar at the Apple Store.

I grew up in a Mac family and have had a Mac for the past 10 years at least. I've had a few problems -- I'm not one to say Mac's will never have an issue.

My first laptop's hard drive died within a week (it was the first model, and apparently they had some issues). I took it in and they had to ship it out to fix it. But I had it back in three days -- no cost.

After four years the battery died and wouldn't hold a charge. They replaced it for free even though it was no longer under warranty. Two years after that my hard drive died (it was six years old -- not all that surprising). They replaced it for free even though it was waaaay after my warranty expired. They also loaded it up with the newest OS, which I hadn't had and didn't pay for. At the same time, they also replaced the case free, even though I admitted I cracked it when I slammed it shut too hard.

With a PC I doubt any of these issues would have been resolved as quickly as they were and definitely not for free. The security Mac offers me is worth the price difference to me.

Plus, they're just so pretty :goodvibes

I love my Mac. In fact we only own one Windows based computer b/c DH needs it for work. We've both had Macs for years and the ONLY problem we've ever had is that I had to upgrade the memory which took about 5 minutes and I did it myself. Everything you can find for PC you can find for Mac. Macs are great for photo editing and other things like videos. THey are more user friendly than a windows machine. I think they are well worth the money since they last for a very long time, much longer than any windows pc we've owned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter