Lunch box drinks

ids

Is not having air conditioning a permanent thing? That seems a little cruel depending on where you live... Our local schools lost power and therefor air and they closed the schools until they could cool the buildings back down. I couldn't expect a child to sit in a classroom all day that's over 80 degrees
We have a good month with hot days with no a/c (kids get out very end of June, go back early September). Lights out, fans on, usually nice and quiet.

ids

Is not having air conditioning a permanent thing? That seems a little cruel depending on where you live... Our local schools lost power and therefor air and they closed the schools until they could cool the buildings back down. I couldn't expect a child to sit in a classroom all day that's over 80 degrees

None of our local schools have air conditioning. Yes, it gets hot for a few weeks at the beginning and the end of the year, but the cost to add a/c to the buildings for just a few weeks use would be astronomical.

DD7 is going into grade 2, and the school policy is a reusable water bottle only. No juice boxes. Our schools don't have cafeterias, so all the kids have to bring a packed lunch from home except on Hot lunch days which are fundraisers for the PTA, then 2% or chocolate milk can be ordered for lunch those days (about once per month). DD has a thermos and reusable containers as ALL wrappers from lunch must go home, only compostable refuse may be thrown into the bins. That said I do send granola bars and cheese string with her and she just brings the wrappers home. This is a public school in Canada.

I just got back from middle school orientation with my 6th grader. Only clear water bottles are allowed. Ugh. Now I have to buy something else and it's not insulated.

Reusable water bottle in class and a juicy juice box in her lunch box. 5th grade. My son buys food at school. He's in 11th grade. Im sure he buys a bunch of junk.

In the classroom, I encourage students to bring and use refillable water bottles, which they can take to lunch. I do this for both health and environmental reasons, as most people, kids included, don't drink enough water throughout the day, especially when active (as elementary kids are).

I don't have any kids of my own yet, but I can assure you they will be using refillable water bottles. I grew up in the era of Hi-C Ecto Cooler and don't want to see my own kids inhaling that junk like I did...

Geesh lots of schools have lots of cafeteria rules. We live in a middle class working neighborhood. Small town vibe. No rules for lunches or beverages. They do ask that birthday snacks are nut free but it's not mandatory.

My kids can buy milk or water at school or bring water or capri sun roaring water pouch from home. Our high school also has lunch as part of a class block so no one can take a class in place of lunch. I think the rule is you can send anything you want for your own child but no junk for other kids.

Schools in my state would not be able to do that - students must have a lunch period. You can't opt out of it.

Also, lunch is never the same length as a class period - it's built into a class. A lunch would go to lunch, then the entire class. B lunch goes to 25 minutes of class, 30 minutes of lunch, 25 minutes back to the same class. C lunch does the class then lunch. Students would then start the next class period at the same time. Even the high schools with block scheduling have the lunch built into a class period.

The only person who I know who can skip lunch to double up on classes is Hermione Granger.

Funny I thought of Hermione Granger also when someone said they took a class during their lunch time. We have ABC lunch/class period here also and never even considered that other school allow kids to skip lunch.

My kids carry Polar bottles with ice water for during the day. They are in 9th and 12th grade. In our school district = In elementary and high school they can take water bottles for during classes, as long as they close completely. In middle school they were not allowed.

My 9th grader takes a reusable water bottle that we freeze 1/2 full the night before in his lunch box, my 12th grader takes iced tea in his, 1/2 full frozen the night before. It helps keep their lunches cold and is still cold at lunchtime to drink.

My kid (going into 3rd) gets juice for lunch (whatever of the "better" options is cheapest - 100% juice or those water capri sun things usually), but water for snack (and the rest of the day).

Apparently they put new water bottle filling fountains in all of the schools this summer so that's nice.

As far as I know, they ask for healthy but there are no real "rules." I've seen kids with bags of chips for snack which I don't really agree with. I don't judge because I'm not there every day, and I know I've sent my kid with less than health options a time or two. He needs a protein kick for snack which is hard to find (that doesn't need refrigeration and doesn't contain nuts, which I only do because I know how much nut allergy parents worry). The only hard and fast rule that I know of is NO FOOD SHARING!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter