Lunch box drinks

make sure that if its not water or milk, that it is allwoed - some school are VERY particular about the drinks and it can cause a aid to have to throw it away or leave it in the office for pick up

My DS going into1st grade took a juice box-100% juice in his lunch 4 days a week. Bought on Pizza day and had milk. And had a reuseable water bottle for during the day. (And we had tons of issues with it not getting closed properly.-Kindergarten- switched bottles many, many times during the year.)
DD 6th grade buys lunch everyday and has milk. She will occasionally remember a waterbottle. usually guzzles mine when I pick her up.

Do your kids take juice boxes or other throw away container drinks? Or do your kids have thermos or something to refill?

What ages?
My kids took juice boxes for a long time. My 13 yr old only just requested last year that I pack him a bottle of water instead. He prefers the "disposable" kind. My older son has sports practice at school every day so he just brings a reusable bottle that he fills throughout the day.

My kids will be in 5th and 7th. They bring a reusable water bottle to have in class, but also get a juice box packed in their lunch. That's the only thing besides water that they get all day so I don't feel too bad about it. I buy either organic lemonade or organic apple juice so it's not like they are drinking some weird chemical concoction in a box.

Is this private school? Poor kid!

no its public school

100% Fruit juice box and a reusable water bottle. Especially in the warmer months, that water bottle will get refilled several times a day. The juice is just to mix it up a bit. We don't buy juice for any other occasion and I can count the number of times he has soda in a year on one hand. So I'm fine with five juice boxes a week. Ds is 12.

make sure that if its not water or milk, that it is allwoed - some school are VERY particular about the drinks and it can cause a aid to have to throw it away or leave it in the office for pick up

Funny thing is that until the school started with their whole "this is banned" crap I never sent in soda- as soon as they started trying to dictate what you could feed your own child that is when I sent it in-they never ever took it away or called home. My friends daughter brought marshmallows for a snack one day and her teacher took it away- the mom went up to that school and threw a fit, basically told them unless they were going to provide her with snack everyday then she would send in what she had at home for the kid for snack. They never took it away again!

My son used to take Capri sun. Now if he packs he takes a bottled water, Gatorade, or small bottled juice with a bottle of water. He's in high school. It's definitely cheaper than him buying the same thing from the cafeteria
I'll add that my son likes milk but won't drink it during his sports season. He's a runner and drinking milk before a big run can lead to upset stomach. So he buys the lunch which includes a milk but he doesn't take it. So he buys a bottle of something to drink. He is far to old for me to try to control him buying a bottle of juice or whatever. He does not drink soft drinks.

Funny thing is that until the school started with their whole "this is banned" crap I never sent in soda- as soon as they started trying to dictate what you could feed your own child that is when I sent it in-they never ever took it away or called home. My friends daughter brought marshmallows for a snack one day and her teacher took it away- the mom went up to that school and threw a fit, basically told them unless they were going to provide her with snack everyday then she would send in what she had at home for the kid for snack. They never took it away again!
In the school's defense, they are required to have a wellness policy in place in order to qualify for the federal lunch program. There is a sign in our office reminding parents they cannot bring fast food into the cafeteria if they choose to bring lunch to their children. Most schools should have their policy in writing and available to parents at the start of the school year

In the school's defense, they are required to have a wellness policy in place in order to qualify for the federal lunch program. There is a sign in our office reminding parents they cannot bring fast food into the cafeteria if they choose to bring lunch to their children. Most schools should have their policy in writing and available to parents at the start of the school year

That is what irks me- I can understand them controlling what they give out in free breakfast and lunch- but if I pay for what my kid gets for breakfast and lunch in school then I feel they have no business minding MY business!

When the girls were in school they would either get a milk (always chocolate :) ), take water or occasionally a soda/ juice. In high school they just took bottled water or buy water/soda at school

That is what irks me- I can understand them controlling what they give out in free breakfast and lunch- but if I pay for what my kid gets for breakfast and lunch in school then I feel they have no business minding MY business!
Another reason I loved home schooling.

I got to decide what my son had for lunch. And if I wanted to allow a soda, he could have it.

All the kids have to be treated the same across the board. Its just policy. Instead of doing things against it, just deal with it like the adults we ( supposidly) are.

I was one of those caffiteria workers that had police the home brought lunch and evaluate if it was within the guidlines of healhty eating. If not, i had to take it away and they had to eat the school lunch. Its not fun on this end either. (i now run a chamber of commerce thank goodness)

Does she only go half a day? Why does she not get a lunch?

Its her choice, she goes a full day of school- she wanted to take more classes than her schedule would have allowed if she had a lunch period so she opted to take a class she wanted and no lunch.

My kids always take water with ice. Now one of my kids is underweight so I put some kind of juice box in her lunch because she needs the extra calories. I don't think there's any wrong answer.

Last edited:
Its her choice, she goes a full day of school- she wanted to take more classes than her schedule would have allowed if she had a lunch period so she opted to take a class she wanted and no lunch.
Wow. There's no school around here that I know that would allow that.

All the kids have to be treated the same across the board. Its just policy. Instead of doing things against it, just deal with it like the adults we ( supposidly) are.

I was one of those caffiteria workers that had police the home brought lunch and evaluate if it was within the guidlines of healhty eating. If not, i had to take it away and they had to eat the school lunch. Its not fun on this end either. (i now run a chamber of commerce thank goodness)
Right, because all children are the same. Have the same needs, likes and dislikes. So they all should be treated the same.

And if they aren't tough luck.

(Sorry that you had to deal with this. But it is bull. And just another way of the government trying to control how parents raise their children.)

My 3rd grader only takes a refillable water bottle to school too. We use contigo, amazing bottles, never any leaks at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter