Lunch box drinks

DawnM

DIS Veteran
Do your kids take juice boxes or other throw away container drinks? Or do your kids have thermos or something to refill?

What ages?

My son used to take Capri sun. Now if he packs he takes a bottled water, Gatorade, or small bottled juice with a bottle of water. He's in high school. It's definitely cheaper than him buying the same thing from the cafeteria

We do bottled water with various mix ins; we tried several brands of reusable thermos / water bottles but they all seem to leak...or maybe my kids can't put the lids back on correctly?

We do bottled water with various mix ins; we tried several brands of reusable thermos / water bottles but they all seem to leak...or maybe my kids can't put the lids back on correctly?

I use an 18 oz. thermos. It only leaks due to user error:) my kids prefer polar bottles but they don't keep water cold as long. Again no issues with leaking unless they don't close it or put the top on tightly.

Water only. My school has a water-only policy, so they can't take juice or other drinks (but we don't give them those anyway at home). I'm buying them all RTIC cups today, actually, so that they can have ice-water all day at school.

in the cafeteria they can buy milk (2%, skim, and skim chocolate), lactose-free milk, and soy milk.

Before someone asks, this is a public school in a very low-income area (more than 51% of the students get free/reduced price lunch).

ETA Sorry - I didn't read your entire question. My kids will be going into grades 2, 4, and 5.

Going into 2nd and 7th grade. They both take a reusable thermos with water inside. I used to do juice boxes until I realized how much money that was for both of them.

Although Sam's did have a cheap sale on Capri suns and I bought enough to have since we leave for vacation not longer after school starts. Those will last the first couple days of school. They both need a new thermos and I'll just wait till we return for that.

Reusable water bottle everyday. Somedays we throw in a milk box or even more rare a juice box.
Since first grade until now (oldest is 5th grade)

DD(13) carries a water bottle around all day (and has since kindergarten), so she just uses that at lunch. If she ever wants a milk or bottled water, I leave a few dollars on her cafeteria account that she can use to purchase a drink or snack.

Reusable water bottles for school, one usually buys milk in the cafeteria. Youngest DS is at gymnastics 4hrs/day, 4 days/week in the summer so he needs food packed. I almost always pack a juice box then, figuring a few extra calories might help...

Water bottle at school she can use and we pay for a milk card that she can get milk/yogurt from

I put some sort of 100% fruit juice box or milk carton that didn't need refrigeration in their lunch every day.

in grade school she took pink lemonade every single day except for field trip days then she took a can of soda. In Jr high she alternated between pink lemonade, soda and water. In high school it was pretty much water 99% of the time and soda occasionally. This year in high school she doesn't have a lunch period so she will just bring a bottle of water and some pretzels or something to snack on in class since she has no lunch break.

1st grade, 2nd grade, and preK: everyone gets a thermos of water. The youngest gets a reusable cup with milk (that class has a refrigerator). The 2 oldest can buy milk at school for 25 cents or so. I do lunch duty for the older kids and no one brings juice boxes. I think the school must have discouraged them. Also, a juice box wouldn't be enough to drink with lunch for my kids.

DD is entering 6th grade this fall. She takes a reusable thermos with milk 2-3 days a week if not eating the hot lunch. Occasionally it might have lemonade or juice, but usually milk.

Do your kids take juice boxes or other throw away container drinks? Or do your kids have thermos or something to refill?

What ages?

my kid is in high school so I let him take a soda (it's much cheaper to let him take one vs. buy one at school).

when he/dd were younger it was a mix of items-

capri sun (ALWAYS bought several boxes of individual pouches when on sale)
water bottle w/those individual serving lemonade mixes
juice (the individual serving containers are too costly so it was from concentrate made at home put into a thermos).

both of my kids have milk intolerance issues (though dd's has improved w/age) so neither did milk at school-if they had it costs 45 cents per carton (full price-those on reduced price get it for less and those on free price pay nothing).

My kids will be in 5th and 7th. They bring a reusable water bottle to have in class, but also get a juice box packed in their lunch. That's the only thing besides water that they get all day so I don't feel too bad about it. I buy either organic lemonade or organic apple juice so it's not like they are drinking some weird chemical concoction in a box.

in grade school she took pink lemonade every single day except for field trip days then she took a can of soda. In Jr high she alternated between pink lemonade, soda and water. In high school it was pretty much water 99% of the time and soda occasionally. This year in high school she doesn't have a lunch period so she will just bring a bottle of water and some pretzels or something to snack on in class since she has no lunch break.

Is this private school? Poor kid!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter