Love is “Universal”: Our Awesome Anniversary Adventures in Orlando (May 2015 TR)

Hi Gina! Your meal looks very "brown." You need some veggies! We have a Cracker Barrel down the road from us. We don't eat there too often, just because we sort of forget it's there, but my kids love to look around the store! We might have to head back there soon...
Ah yes, my mother reminds me of the same thing. Don't tell her I was a bad girl on vacation. The nice thing about not travelling with your kids is that you don't have to set a good example for anyone . I promise to eat more healthy greens in the coming weeks to make up for my dietary indiscrestions while on holiday. Wait till you see some of the other meal photos.....this was nothin' lol!
I love, love Cracker Barrel. I would eat there all the time if I could. The closest one to us is in Binghamton which is about 45 minutes away but my husband isn't a fan. We have eaten at that one in Cicero a few times too. I actually waitressed at one in college and really enjoyed working there too. Fabulous food. The breakfast there is so good too, I always try to stop at one on road trips. I want some right now! Sounds like a great start to your trip!
I have heard that breakfast there is really good. We might give that a try in October. There's a Cracker Barrel in Kissimmee, not far from the Vistana.
I love fish!!! That looked lush!
Haven't been to Cracker Barrel since 07.... may go back for a lunch at one point.........do enjoy the shop for candles and such...........
We are exactly the same with loving how cheap it is to eat in the States.........everywhere!!
Looking forward to reading more of your trip......
I was tempted to pick up some of their candles too, but wondered how they'd fare locked in the Journey for a week. I guess if nothing else, his vehicle would have smelled rather nice when we picked it up at the hotel after our trip!!
The same meal back home would have EASILY cost us $50. While I'm getting better at food budgeting for our trips, I always seem to take more cash than we need. I just deposited a few hundred dollars back in our US bank account today. Once again, we came home with a deposit for the next vacation (not that I'm complaining).
Glad to hear your meal and hotel was so good. DS wants to go to Niagara Falls, and then to other Canadian areas, Toronto for one. Kid is always thinking we can just travel. Um, SW will be opening their fares for December shortly, that's the only travel planning I'm doing now.
Love the pictures!
You and your fam would have a ball in Niagara Falls and Toronto. They are great cities with SO much to do. Very expensive, though, in comparison with many US cities. And 13% tax to boot. It helps when your dollar is much stronger than our loonie, but still.....I can imagine how many American visitors must have a small heart attack when they eat at the Falls. Or gas up their car!
Looking forward to reading your trip report! We're off to Uni for our first trip in just a few more days - so waiting anxiously for more updates
Glad to have you along, Elaine! I hate trip reports that keep you hanging for days between entries, so I will try and keep a consistent supply of updates added on a regular basis. I promise! :flower3:

A good start but I don't know how you can swim after dinner, although I must confess I'm not one for the pool really. I just dip my toes once in a while and sometimes 'brave' the lazy river at the water parks :goodvibes

Love, love Cracker Barrel. The lemon aid is fresh made and served in beer steins that have been kept in freezer so the lemon aid is slushy.

"Mammoth America Meal":rotfl:
I often feel that way about portion sizes here in the States!!
So happy to be following along on the TR:banana:

I'm in!!! I'm sorry your vacation is over but happy to read your trip report! I am just hitting the point where I am just itching to start planning something again. So a Gina trip report is just what I need :)

A good start but I don't know how you can swim after dinner, although I must confess I'm not one for the pool really. I just dip my toes once in a while and sometimes 'brave' the lazy river at the water parks :goodvibes

When we're at home, we swim almost every night after dinner here at our local Y. So we're very, very accustomed to an evening of laps in the pool. I'm not a very adventurous person as far as slides go, but I love the water....and sorely missed not having a water park day on this vacation. I'm thinking Aquatica might be in order for October!

Love, love Cracker Barrel. The lemon aid is fresh made and served in beer steins that have been kept in freezer so the lemon aid is slushy.

Amen on the lemonade! :thumbsup2 I had their strawberry lemonade in that wonderful frozen mug....you can see it a bit in the corner of this pic:

"Mammoth America Meal":rotfl:
I often feel that way about portion sizes here in the States!!
So happy to be following along on the TR:banana:

Welcome aboard!

And as for portion sizes.....wait until you see our Hash House a Go Go photos :faint: . You have to almost see them to believe them. They take crazy US portions to a whole new level!

I'm in!!! I'm sorry your vacation is over but happy to read your trip report! I am just hitting the point where I am just itching to start planning something again. So a Gina trip report is just what I need :)

Hey there, my friend!! I am so glad you are here! :goodvibes

Any chance you might be able to squeeze in a budget trip this year, despite the new vehicle expenses? Even just a week offsite somewhere?

I think I have asked you this before but what is Gravol?

Its an anti-nausea medication. Kind of like your Dramamine, I think. Makes me very sleepy but works wonders for motion sickness caused by flying. Oddly enough, it also kicks my migraines to the curb when they take hold.

So happy I stumbled across your report tonight Gina. As usual can't wait to read more!

Loving your report. In exactly 3 months (12th August) we will have spent our first whole day in Orlando and just happens to be our sons 15th birthday (his 5th birthday running in Orlando, lucky boy). So officially getting excited now, despite having three trips before then but Orlando will always be the Big One! Looking forward to reading more. We are focusing on Universal and waterparks this time and as we have three weeks we will have some time to relax (and eat!!)

Love strawberry lemonade!!!! It's my go to non alcoholic drink in the States.

Smokey Bones do an incredible blackberry lemonade......lush!

Loving your report. In exactly 3 months (12th August) we will have spent our first whole day in Orlando and just happens to be our sons 15th birthday (his 5th birthday running in Orlando, lucky boy). So officially getting excited now, despite having three trips before then but Orlando will always be the Big One! Looking forward to reading more. We are focusing on Universal and waterparks this time and as we have three weeks we will have some time to relax (and eat!!)

What a lucky kid!! Anything super-special in the plans (aside from an incredible trip, of course! ;)) to celebrate his special day?

August will be here before know you it ::yes::. The summer months always fly by so quickly. I am missing my "regular" August countdown at this point, it just seems strange not to be planning an end-of-summer-vacation trip!

Love strawberry lemonade!!!! It's my go to non alcoholic drink in the States.

Smokey Bones do an incredible blackberry lemonade......lush!

Hmmmm....maybe we need to add Smokey Bones to our must-try list for October? I'm sensing my meatatarian man would like it there :scratchin . And the blackberry lemonade sounds divine......I think I'll be looking their menu up :thumbsup2 .

Friday, May 1st, 2015

Not surprisingly, we didn’t require the wake-up call nor the bedside alarm. About 4:15 am, I decided that I’d had enough of tossing and turning and opted to get up and indulge in a long, hot shower. We had sat out our clothing and other personal items the night before, so getting ready to go required minimal effort. Drying my hair took more time than anything.

We headed down to the lobby to grab a quick breakfast before our 5:45 am shuttle. Breakfast opened at 5:30 am, but we didn’t expect any of the hot items to be out just yet.

Imagine our surprise when we found the last of the breakfast items being laid out as we arrived, hot and fresh and ready to enjoy. We had planned on just grabbing a bagel and a banana, but there was far more than that from which to choose. For a complimentary….and painfully early….. breakfast, it was really rather impressive.

There was something for every taste: eggs, sausages, gravy, fruit, pancakes, warm cinnamon buns, bagels, yogurt, oatmeal, cold cereals…..you name it. Steve, in particular, was very grateful for the ample spread. He wasted no time in digging in, as we only had 15 minutes to dine before being whisked off to the airport.

With full tummies and an ample supply of departure day enthusiasm, we boarded the shuttle as the sun started making a very slow and tentative appearance in the morning sky. Our shuttle driver was less than talkative, and as such, our attempts at polite conversation fell flat despite our best efforts to engage him in a little chit chat. Thankfully, the awkward ride was mercifully brief (the hotel is very, very close to the airport) and we were dumped at the airport doors in short order.

Combining the fact that it was an ungodly early hour of the morning and Syracuse is a tiny airport, lines for bag check and security were virtually non-existent. We were settled comfortably at our gate within 30 minutes of initially walking through the doors.

Not long after we found seats and pulled out our laptop and tablet, the early morning hush was promptly shattered as a wave of high school seniors descended on our waiting area. All the uninhibited exuberance and enthusiasm of this particular group of bubbly, giggly, fist-pumping young people was enough to power the plane all the way from New York to Florida if there was some physical way to harness it. Their frenzied conversations (which…..and I even cringe as I write this…..were punctuated with them actually using the word “hashtag” repeatedly in their verbal dialogue :scared:) soon confirmed our suspicions: they were on their way to Disney as part of a school trip, and the early hour was doing nothing to squash their excitement. After being Sleepless in Syracuse, and travelling for the first time WITHOUT our teenager ("#secondhoneymoon" :rotfl:) we couldn’t help but laugh at the irony. God love the teacher chaperones….they were special folks, indeed.

With our plane on the tarmac from the night before, all clean and ready to go, the gate crew initially announced that we would be departing early and advised all passengers to be ready to board in advance of the scheduled 7:20 boarding call.

Unfortunately, someone forgot to tell the pilots (who came strolling in, quite obviously in no particular hurry, after 7 am) and we ended up getting on the plane only about 10 minutes before the original designated time. It was a full flight (with all 40 or so teenagers taking up residence in the back), so we were grateful for the priority boarding provided with our Even More Space seating as room in the overhead bins ran out quite quickly.

It was a delightfully smooth an uneventful flight.

Steve enjoyed demonstrating how he could stretch out his long legs quite comfortable in our extra legroom row:

We landed in Orlando almost a half hour ahead of the scheduled arrival time under gorgeous, sunny skies. Our luggage appeared literally within the first 10 bags on the carousel, so we were off to snag the rental vehicle in no time flat :cool1:.

Having signed up for Dollar Express after we booked and paid for our rental some weeks earlier, we headed straight to the garage to find our name listed on the pick-up board and the message “see agent” noted beside it. A quick stop at the agent’s office yielded a small package of paperwork, and instructions to pick any vehicle we wanted on the full size aisle (a nice surprise, as we had originally been told that Dollar assigns a vehicle, and we were going to miss that aspect of our usual Alamo rental). Steve chose the only car that didn’t appear to have been used and abused…..a silver Impala…..and we were on our way. Tourists are obviously quite hard on their rental cars if the marks on the exterior of Dollar’s fleet are any indication.

As we were driving out of the garage, was only 11:05 am. I could hardly believe it. Absolutely the fastest we have EVER been through the post-flight stages of travel at Orlando airport. At this point in the report, I also feel the need to mention how WONDERFUL it was to walk out of the terminal (en route to our rental car pick-up) into the warm, breezy air and feel NO humidity at all. After 3 trips at the end of August, it was noteworthy to say the least. I think I could get used to spending spring in the sunny south ::yes::.

Our GPS, surprisingly, picked up a clear signal while still inside the garage (normally we’re a mile down the road before she’s able to access the satellites) so we plugged in our lunch destination and made our way down the toll road. Considering has a customary check-in time of 4 pm, we figured we might as well grab our noon meal before seeing if our room might possibly be ready a little early.

Continued in the next post, the first of many new-to-us restaurants on this vacation: Sweet Tomatoes!

Oh I hope you liked Sweet Tomatoes. We love it and whir in LA last year drove out of our way to find a location

That breakfast at the hotel looked yummy. I wish my kitchen would magically have all of that stuff laid out for me every morning!

GAH teenagers! That's so funny. At least it wasn't a super long flight I guess :)

What a lucky kid!! Anything super-special in the plans (aside from an incredible trip, of course! ;)) to celebrate his special day?

August will be here before know you it ::yes::. The summer months always fly by so quickly. I am missing my "regular" August countdown at this point, it just seems strange not to be planning an end-of-summer-vacation trip!

Well the plan at the moment is that we land about 3pm on 11th, so straight to Bonnet Creek to drop our bags then head to DTD to buy his lego birthday present (we are all big lego fans). Then in the morning we will go to Toojays for birthday breakfast and then a Disney waterpark. Infact we might do something we have never done before and go to Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach on the same day. We have tickets for 5 water parks (if you include DC) but we love them. Also might go bowling as Henry loves that and then birthday meal in Longhornes. A perfect day.

I'm late to the party, but it's clearly well worth coming! Haven't even seen a billboard yet and I am loving it!! ;)

Maria :upsidedow

A good quick arrival at Orlando.

I have changed allegiance this year and gone to Alamo from Dollar (last time we had to swap our allotted car as it had a few dints on it), but honestly it was just based on price and like you found Dollar efficient at the airport if using Express.

As glad as I am to hear you enjoying the weather and not the humidity, it is my first time in 10 years that we are going in July and the humidity is the one thing I am not looking forward to. As previously discussed, the hair doesn't fare that well!

popcorn::Subscribing! We leave in 2 weeks, so I'll be anxiously awaiting your updates!!! :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter