Lost guests due to insane planning requirements?

One of my fav things to do is actually look at the maps. I already have looked at the maps online and through google maps but I just like looking over them physically. I also use it to actually read through what they have and it can pass the time while I'm waiting for someone to go on a ride I don't want to go on. I know what rides I want to go on and this upcoming trip I've gone over EVERY place to eat at all 4 parks to see what places actually interest me and what I think my husband and in-laws might be interested in.

That being said there is a difference if a family spends a majority of their time trying to figure out what ride they want to go on and what place to eat and that creates an argument or feeling of wasting their time but just because someone is looking over the map and says what do you want to do next doesn't mean they haven't done any planning (We'll def. be that family that looks over the map but it will be over 2 years worth of planning).

ETA: I actually kept my maps from WDW and USO from my last trip in Sep 2011 (the other times I believe the maps have gotten lost or were thrown away over time). I generally keep maps, brochures, and travel magazines from my vacations as sort of a memory tool/keepsake.

I always pick up maps at the entrance each time even though I rarely use them, my observation was not so much people reviewing a map but those using to try and decide what to do next - indication they are not big planners, nothing wrong with that just an observation of the range of planning people take in regards to WDW visits.

My neighbor, 2 sisters (one of them twice) have cancelled trips. It starts with them booking the trip onsite, then being unable to get the popular ADR's like BOG or CRT or Chef Mickey, then they start reading up on one of the websites I've given them or a book I've loaned them and they get nervous when reading about how big it is and how they can't do everything when they thought they could, annoyed they can't get the ADR's they want and then they cancel.

My one sister lives not far from Disneyland now so I'm thinking of letting her know next time I go and see if she wants to go with me to experience it - then she wouldn't have to plan anything, just show up and enjoy. LOL

If I remember correctly did Disney try the 90 day out ADR booking and people got angry and upset so they took it back to 180 days?

As for DDP - I did it once a long time ago and thought it was great. Then I did it in September and while it was fine I felt I needed to eat at certain places to get my "money" worth... I also came home with every snack credit as we didn't use them. I didn't see the value.

In February my aunt went and I booked her trip. They did a package with dining and all of them said the same thing. Too much food. I knew it was a lot of food and since I have an AP I just booked a room only for myself. My mom was with me but I also booked her in one of the DDP rooms and we shared every meal and it was enough for both of us.

I think if Disney wanting to level the playing field for the average joe, they would put a limit on the number of ADRs you can make in advance. I've done it and I know many other people have as well. For example, I might book 2 or 3 BOGs or a couple different Chef Mickey's just because I'm not exactly sure what day or time I will want 5-6 months in the future. That goes back to a planning issue with Disney as well bc they won't release and stick to park hours! I have found that if I don't get what I want when we first decide to go, its almost better to wait until about a week before the trip and start looking again. People who have double booked ADRs typically have their plans finalized and cancel many of them. In my past experience 2-3 months out is the hardest time to get a reservation!

I always pick up maps at the entrance each time even though I rarely use them, my observation was not so much people reviewing a map but those using to try and decide what to do next - indication they are not big planners, nothing wrong with that just an observation of the range of planning people take in regards to WDW visits.
I do understand your point....except that my family will be the one to say what do you want to do next but that doesn't mean we won't have planned (as I mentioned in my above post). My in-laws are not planners. My husband is less of a planner than I am. I cannot plan our trip to the minute as that will suck the fun out of it for them. But if we enter a park and say "What do you want to do or what do you want to do next" it doesn't mean we didn't plan. Maybe we have been to another park already, maybe our FPs don't start yet,etc. The part I can plan is that we want to do x,y,z rides (and knowing that a,b,c rides are best for the morning or best for FPs) and a list of places where we don't mind eating (I will likely only have 2ish ADRs planned for our 5-day park hopper tickets (3 other days will be spent at USO).

So in a nutshell there is a difference between a family who has zero research and walks into a park, picks up a map and then spends the rest of the day going crazy or getting in arguments because they have the age old "What do you want to do?" "I don't know what do you want to do" back and forth talk (though to some families not knowing ends up not being an issue at all) and a family who has done at least some research and is simply asking "What do you want to do next".

Generally when people have mentioned here on the DIS board people who they have seen walking in looking at maps it's with the assumption that they didn't plan and they will have a terrible time (and some families may be that way but def. not all) but the action of looking at a map and even saying "what do you want to do" doesn't automatically indicate lack of planning. I apologize if that was not your intention when you mentioned looking at maps.

Why are you standing so close to someone that you can hear exactly what they're talking about while they're huddled over a map?

Why are you standing so close to someone that you can hear exactly what they're talking about while they're huddled over a map?

I'm assuming your from NYC, but us visitors from the South due tend to talk a little LOUD and sloooow. It often happens when they are standing in line behind you...

She's high stress and this is really getting to her.
If I am interpreting this correctly, perhaps this is a personality trait of hers? One person's "stressful" is someone else's "no big deal". Not sure Disney is fully responsible for that. ;)

And as others pointed out, there are MANY ADRs to be had right now for 5 mos. out, and not at all off-peak times. With your advice to book at 180 days out, if those harder-to-get places were a priority for her, she really should have been on right then. But there are still PLENTY of great ADRs available.

ALL of this said, DH and I were just talking about the amount of planning a WDW vacation takes... and all the way down to the last minute with how late they are extending some offerings and finalizing hours. If you're someone easily stressed out, this certainly doesn't help, to be sure. Maybe you can continue to help her "turn the temperature down" on how she's reacting to all of this. A good friend, in my book!! :goodvibes

I disagree.

I feel like there's the DIS way, no planning and everything in between. All of these styles can result in fantastic trips and crappy trips. It's all about personality style and managing expectations. There's plenty of fun and magic to be had without FP+ and ADRs.

I love this post!

Any anxiety created is created by the person with the anxiety. The OP's friend had help from the OP and a TA..............there shouldn't have been any issues. Disney has setup a process and yes it can be confusing.........but the person impacted here had help (or apparently so)...........so you can't really blame Disney for that. Hey I'm a planner and have been since our visit back in 2013 (first with my wife :) ). We've recently done a more "spontaneous" Disney trip this past January with friends.........it was more than fun. Now I don't do that type of trip normally but it surly can be done.

At work I'm the guy people come to for their Disney info (and lord knows I don't know much........just enough to be helpful (and dangerous :D). I guess I'd more empathetic if the traveler had truly no help with the trip. I also really think the worrying is overblown..............do what you can and enjoy WDW..........its more than possible...........even if you don't get an ADR at BOG (which I've never been able to get for dinner.....so much for planning).

Doug :goofy:

I think those that go into a Disney vaca with eyes wide open and no plan tend to have a bad time. These are the folks that come back complaining of crowds, not doing a lot of rides, not getting good dinner reservations etc. I had my neighbor telling me that she was considering going to Disney over Christmas break because she figured it would be really dead because everyone stays home for the holidays.

People don't realize Disney is a different animal in regards to vacation destinations. If you were going to Hilton Head for instance you just book your flight and hotel and then go. You figure out what you will do and where you will eat when you are there.

OP here again. Well.....a couple things. I am certainly not projecting my disappointment on to her and I am definitely not increasing her stress level. Throughout, as I stated, I told her not to put so much emotional energy on where they'd be eating.

So it turns out she may have been overstating things a bit. She sent me her ADRs today and they're not bad at all. Couple times that aren't ideal, but really nothing to complain about. I want to acknowledge a few of you who looked into what was open and offered advice - turns out she didn't need it, but thank you.

It doesn't change my initial assertion that planning for a WDW trip can be very stressful (is certainly moreso than before) and is stressful to the point that it will turn people off. It is also more stressful than planning for many (most?) other types of vacations.

I'm not saying anyone (certainly Disney...please put away the tomatoes) is at fault. It's just how it has evolved. Planning doesn't personally bother me because I enjoy planning our trips; I do recognize that the intellectual and logistical challenge that I find invigorating and akin to a puzzle to solve might make others feel overwhelmed and stressed.

Been to WDW lately? With the crowds and lines you often end up spending time right next to lots of people during the day.

OP here again. Well.....a couple things. I am certainly not projecting my disappointment on to her and I am definitely not increasing her stress level. Throughout, as I stated, I told her not to put so much emotional energy on where they'd be eating.

So it turns out she may have been overstating things a bit. She sent me her ADRs today and they're not bad at all. Couple times that aren't ideal, but really nothing to complain about. I want to acknowledge a few of you who looked into what was open and offered advice - turns out she didn't need it, but thank you.

It doesn't change my initial assertion that planning for a WDW trip can be very stressful (is certainly moreso than before) and is stressful to the point that it will turn people off. It is also more stressful than planning for many (most?) other types of vacations.

I'm not saying anyone (certainly Disney...please put away the tomatoes) is at fault. It's just how it has evolved. Planning doesn't personally bother me because I enjoy planning our trips; I do recognize that the intellectual and logistical challenge that I find invigorating and akin to a puzzle to solve might make others feel overwhelmed and stressed.

I am glad your friend found some options that works for her.

I still agree with you that IMHO, a WDW trip takes SO MUCH PLANNING - even for us "old hats" it can sometimes get confusing. More than that, there are always going to be things we didn't get to do this trip (and for people like me, that just makes it a "next trip" thing, but for some of my friends, it may be their only trip).

I don't have a better way. I wish I did. I wish Disney had a better way. Any solution is going to put a lot of people out. One thing is for sure though - planning a WDW vacation takes a lot more work than planning a vacation to Jamaica for example. You can always suggest DCL - a lot less options and limited crowds make it easier. Even in that case though, there are going to be things (spa days, palo, etc) that you may not be able to do.

Popularity is Disney's greatest gift and biggest curse.

Maybe recommend she look at lunch options at places she wants dinner (say if its Mama Melrose, 50s prime, le Celier) or Brunch at breakfast spots (Chef Mickey, Crystal Palace) and otherwise just enjoy and keep checking without making it the end-all be-all. Openings come up, people cancel... i loved what you said - Dining shouldn't make the vacation. I hope she enjoys her trip either way.

This is our first and will probably be our last trip to WDW, for a lot of reason. Distance and cost play a role, but also the level of planning. I have a TA, and she's wonderful, but I still find myself stressed out wondering if we'll get to do everything we want. I'm setting realistic goals, but ADR's, Fastpass+, MVMCP, dessert parties, show dining packages...etc are all making me feel a bit boxed in. I know not everyone has a schedule for their trip to Disney, but as I first-timer I'm not prepared to wing-it or even mostly wing-it. Next year, I'm setting up a chair on a beach in Maui. :)

We're going in Sept, 7 days & staying at AoA- me (I've been to Epcot & AK once) my mom (everything but HS a couple of times) and my bro, SIL and their almost 6 yr old son (all first timers). We originally had the DDP and I was getting a little stressed about ADRs. We switched over to QSP this week because a) none of us really care about "experience" meals b) the 6 yr old isn't really a restaurant kid c) I wasn't happy about having to eat at certain place at a certain time on a certain day.

I feel so much better about this vacation now.

If I am interpreting this correctly, perhaps this is a personality trait of hers? One person's "stressful" is someone else's "no big deal". Not sure Disney is fully responsible for that. ;)

[...]

ALL of this said, DH and I were just talking about the amount of planning a WDW vacation takes... and all the way down to the last minute with how late they are extending some offerings and finalizing hours. If you're someone easily stressed out, this certainly doesn't help, to be sure.

{rhetorical question}
How much did your last WDW vacation cost? Unless you are blessed to live next door (Which means cursed to live in Florida, but that's another rant.) A family is going to drop at least a couple thousand dollars.

For most of us, anytime you spend that much money all at once there SHOULD be some stress and anxiety. That's our body telling us to take this seriously and make sure everything is perfect. The trade off is that instead of showing up with a vacation's worth of unanswered questions (where are we eating? What rides can we get on today? etc) once you have everything settled you can show up at the World knowing that your next 4,8, 10 whatever days will likely go smoothly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter