Looks like my family's November vacation is ruined

Don't know if anyone mentioned this...but you know that airfare that week of Thanksgiving is going to be way more than what you'd pay earlier in the month. If you're driving, this won't be an issue.

I hope you can get this straightened out. I feel your pain. For the past 3 years I've been in a district that doesn't give a full week at Thanksgiving or any true long weekends at any other time.

I often wish they'd offer some sort of teacher perk...maybe off-season rates during the summer to celebrate 10, 20, 25, and 30 years of teaching. Even that little bit would be wonderful!

I've been teaching 29 years now...keep telling myself that just 9 years to go and I can go to Disney any time of year I want!

I havnt read the whole thread yet.. I just wanted to say I'm so sorry...
Is the school thinking of changing them? I noticed you said the sates were tentative...

Or is it pretty much set in stone, by the time the calendar comes out.. ( like here in New England)

That being said, we have gone over thanksgiving week,,
It's not as bad as people make it out to be.. Thanksgiving is crazy in MK.. But other then that its a great time to go!

We went this past August from the 22-26. The crowds were very low and we hardly had to wait for anything. Also, the prices at that time were not peak.

Yes it is hot, but it isn't like you are in the blazing sun all day. Walk to attraction, wait in line, normally under a cover, ride attraction, repeat the process. Also, we just walk a bit of a slower pace.

Not sure how old your kids are, but mine were 9 and 5 on that trip and had no complaints. We tended to go at rope drop and back to the resort by 8PM.

I haven't read this whole thread either. Could you leave on Thursday or Friday of the week prior to Thanksgiving? Then you could come home on or before Thanksgiving. You would miss some work, but not a whole week. I have never been there that week, but from what I understand it gets busier the closer to Thanksgiving.

We too did a week in Aug, and we also said never again. I can't blame you at all for that decision. Good Luck and i hope it all works out. :)

I also teach--when we want to go to Disney during the school year I request time off without pay through the school board. I usually use 2 personal days and then 3 days without pay. It's worth it!

In my district, we get two personal days. You can take time off without pay, but you really take a hit on your paycheck, since our salaries are a ten month salary that is spread out into 12 months. I always feel guilty being gone, because a sub isn't the same as having the kids' regular teacher there. My options are Christmas/Thanksgiving/spring or summer break. I went after Christmas this year, and we had a blast! I'm very anti-crowds and lines too. It just takes extra planning!

Thanks everyone for your advice!

They are changing the school calendar because of poor attendance in our district on weeks with only 2-3 days and on half days. That's why they want to move the fall break to Thanksgiving instead of having a 2.5 day week.

A couple people suggested going Friday to Wednesday so we would be able to be home for thanksgiving. You're not allowed to take a personal day the day before a break. So that won't work....it was a good idea in theory though!

We were planning on flying but now since we'll have some more traveling time in aug, we're thinking of taking auto train. Tentative plans are take the train on Friday, spend Saturday as a pool/downtown disney day so we'll be relaxed, refreshed, and ready to hit the parks at rope drop on Sunday! We would head back home on the train on Friday. I've run the numbers and it will be cheaper to go on the auto train and stay 6 nights than it would be to fly and stay 5 nights.

Only problem is we have to change our reservation soon! The 180 window for that week starts in a couple days! And I want to eat at BOG one night! So we need to come to a decision soon!

Sorry about the calendar change. I am curious though...do you still have off the Thursday and Friday for teachers conventions? I was a little confused. Did your district used to give you off the whole week and now you just have thurs and Fri? I thought part of the union contract as per NJEA was having teachers conventions off (unless they were canceled due to unforseen circumstances like this past hurricane). Just curious! We have always only had the two days on both the district I work and the district I live. We went from Wednesday to Sunday in nov 2011 o jersey week. I was worried we would feel to rushed but it was really great. We will be going in August this year and have done it in the past. I really don't mind the heat but definitely enjoyed the weather of November better. We don't get a week off in November but if we did, even around thanksgiving, I would definitely go.

the crowds can be difficult, but plan a touring schedule and include that park that is NOT the one with extra magic hours... you may do better when you are able to go

We used to go Thanksgiving week every year. Get to WDW resort sometime Friday afternoon and hit MVMCP that night. It's the only night the party is offered during that time frame-Friday before Thanksgiving through Friday after Thanksgiving.
It doesn't start getting real crowded until Wednesday. Avoid the MK and Epcot on Thanksgiving. It is very doable. Go to a site like easywdw for best days for each park.

I agree with no summer at WDW- our other go to WDW time used to be the last week of May. Once we got a little older we could not handle the heat. I cannot imagine July or August.

delgrec said:
Sorry about the calendar change. I am curious though...do you still have off the Thursday and Friday for teachers conventions? I was a little confused. Did your district used to give you off the whole week and now you just have thurs and Fri? I thought part of the union contract as per NJEA was having teachers conventions off (unless they were canceled due to unforseen circumstances like this past hurricane). Just curious! We have always only had the two days on both the district I work and the district I live. We went from Wednesday to Sunday in nov 2011 o jersey week. I was worried we would feel to rushed but it was really great. We will be going in August this year and have done it in the past. I really don't mind the heat but definitely enjoyed the weather of November better. We don't get a week off in November but if we did, even around thanksgiving, I would definitely go.

My district is AFT not NJEA.

I taught for 11 years and rarely took a day off. When I quit teaching I had almost 80 days saved up.

My point, why not take the week off. This is a much anticipated holiday for your family. I know it's hard plan that much ahead for your class but, you have a long time to plan.....

I'd go ahead and take the week...I would. GO HAVE FUN!

ETA-I taught in Texas so, no unions. We had 12 personal days and 12 sick days per school year and could use them the way we wished.

meredith you had TWELVE personal days? In addition to regular school breaks? I've taught in four school districts (three states), and the most we got is two.

12? How can that be? I'm not doubting you....just really surprised!

Just a quick thought. I can totally sympathize with the frustration of trying so hard to plan everything as perfectly as possible, only to have it all get messed up by something totally out of your control. I'm a planner too, and I put a lot of effort into making things as perfect as possible. My DH is a teacher, and we've always been tied to the school schedule, but this year he's on a sabbatical to upgrade his degree, so I planned a trip to Disneyland this year thinking that this would be our only chance ever to beat the crowds and pick the perfect time to go. I researched everything, crowd levels, weather patterns, conventions, etc.
Well, the first week of October that I picked for DL ended up having a major heat wave; 100 plus degree days which is very rare in Anaheim. And it was super busy, too. All the local pass holders were pouring in on the weekends to see the new Carsland. Several CMs told us that it was way busier than expected, so it wasn't just us. And to top it off, I'd planned the whole trip around the early entry days, and the day we arrived they changed from having early entry to both parks every day for onsite guests to alternating days, messing up all my plans! It wasn't quite as busy as Christmas, but so much for my plans of low crowds and cooler weather!

So I guess my point is that there is no perfect time to go. You can plan and plan, but there's so much that's out of your hands. It sucks to have your plans messed up, but try to focus on the wonderful trip you will have, not on the dates you may be missing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter