Looks like my family's November vacation is ruined

Discussion in 'Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies' started by akayf, Feb 18, 2013.

1. AuroraMeansDawn

AuroraMeansDawn DIS Veteran

We have done the weekend before Thanksgiving and made it work. What we did was take off the Wed, Thurs and Fri of the week before Thanksgiving. The kids only had 1/2 day of school on Fri so they only missed 2.5 days to do it and then we went Wed-Tues. Flying on the Tues before Thanksgiving was pretty easy travel wise and we were able to get the cheaper fares that way. We also had fairly slow days on Wed afternoon, Thurs and Fri and then things started picking up on Sat , Sun and Mon but the BIG crowds didnt' show up until the Wed before Thanksgiving.

Food for thought. Hope it works out.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. smallblackstars

smallblackstars Mouseketeer

I haven't been at WDW over Thanksgiving so I do not know what the crowds are like (that will change after our next holiday!) but I was there last year with my DD (2 at the time) over Spring Break and it was very busy but also manageable even with the stroller. I'm not sure if Spring Break is similar to Thanksgiving regarding crowds but if it is then you should be just fine :) Our next holiday is from 17th November - 5th December so we will be there during Thanksgiving and have the stroller with us again and I'm not too worried about the crowds. If it gets too busy we will just head back to our resort for the day. Still, after saying all this, I hope your holiday does not get moved and you can go on the week you have been planning for! :goodvibes

4. cktrotter

cktrotter Earning My Ears

I think this is a new trend because we lost fall break and gained a week at Thanksgiving as well. I am having the same issue and at this point we are waiting till next June when school gets out. We live in the south and I cannot imagine Disney in the summer. All I have is the week after Christmas available so I can't decide between crowds or humidity.

5. SnowWhite607

SnowWhite607 DIS Veteran

Teacher here....and married to one. We have always gone in the summer and it is totally do-able. And I have always wanted to go for Thanksgiving (we get the week off) but was afraid of the crowds. Now you guys are making me want to go! LOL! Christmas lights! Candlelight Processional! Christmas decorations! At least if its really crowded, it wont be as hot as when we usually go (June). You may have talked me into it!!

6. MOM POPPINS

MOM POPPINS <font color=red>I keep getting SOUVENIRS (wink) wh

I would book the week of Thanksgiving! Crowds will increase as Thanksgiving approaches...however the Friday before is nice as well as the Monday after.. can you take 1 day off and include a Friday before or a Monday after in your plans???

7. MOM POPPINS

MOM POPPINS <font color=red>I keep getting SOUVENIRS (wink) wh

We say either crowds or heat but not both! So for us we don't go in the summer when it's both! At least at Thanksgiving the weather is great!

8. leebee

leebee DIS Veteran

If you go in August, book for as late in the month as you possibly can. Many schools in the south and west are back in session by mid-month, and many others will start before Labor Day. DD and I traveled 8/10-8/24 one year, and crowds dropped off with every passing day. You also might catch a free dining offer if you go at the end of august!

Now I am thinking about going for Thanksgiving...

9. chloelovesdisney

chloelovesdisney DIS Veteran

I'd take the Friday before Thanksgiving off, fly out that morning and return home on Thanksgiving day. Flights are usually not that bad on the actual holiday day, especially an off time.

10. Goosey515

Goosey515 Mouseketeer

Another teacher here. We visit every July. Yes, it is hot. Yes, there are crowds. However, we utilize rope drop and an afternoon break. It is certainly manageable. I have taken my son every summer since he was 14 months old - he will be 6 this May. Don't necessarily rule out a summer visit. Knowing the weather and crowds will allow you to plan well and align your expectations.

11. jodi786

jodi786 Earning My Ears

I would definitely consider going in the summer. We like the crowd level in late August. I went one year just before school started. I had my classroom all ready. Is your district not having off for Teacher's Convention? I would love to see that go away! I'm hoping t return to the classroom this September!

12. ryalluvdiz

ryalluvdiz Mouseketeer

I feel lucky to work in a school district where we get 1 "universal day" to take as we wish and 4 personal days if we do not take any sick days the year prior. I did this in 2009... We had off on a friday for "Nevada Day" and I was able to take if monday- thursday. OP, I hope you get that week off!!!!

13. jodi786

jodi786 Earning My Ears

Many of the school districts are really strict here in NJ. You really can't take off a day attached to a vacation and they really frown upon using personal days for vacations. Some districts will dock your pay and hold your yearly increase if they find that you use sick days for vacation. It's nuts!

14. si-am

si-am DIS Veteran

It sucks that the calendar changed, I totally understand. But Thanksgiving is a nice time to go, and really not terribly crowded if you get there early in the week.

Unfortunately, it's just kind of a downside of being a teacher. You get lots of vacation time, but you don't really get to choose when to take it.

15. jodi786

jodi786 Earning My Ears

Were you on the NJ Nest board?

16. DisReno

DisReno Mouseketeer

Do you get personal days? I'm in the same position, with the same days off as you, I'm thinking of taking four sick days over MLK holiday. I know it's not the best idea, but I can't bear the crowds and no other times work out.

17. akayf

akayf Mouseketeer

Lol....yes!

18. DisneyGal24

DisneyGal24 Always dreaming of Disney!

We had a similar situation to yours. DH and I are both teachers and our system changed Winter break from the second week of February to the third week ( President's Day week). We decided to go in the summer and are so glad we did. Yes, it's hot and can be busy but we were able to stay longer. It's worth it to us! We make rope drop and take breaks.

19. ryalluvdiz

ryalluvdiz Mouseketeer

They really do not let us use sick days either... But personal days are personal... As long as we give two weeks notice we can use them as we like.

20. akayf

akayf Mouseketeer

Using 3 personal days in a row to go on vacation will never get approved. I will be told that we have other weeks to go when school is closed. It would be different if I had to travel out of state or something for something like a sibling's wedding...something that I can not plan around my weeks off.

I know it's not the end of the world and we will make the best of it and have a great time no matter when we wind up going. And that saying our vacation is ruined is a bit melodramatic. But it is still disappointing to change our plans. I'm just going to keep hoping that the calendar doesn't get approved.

21. ryalluvdiz

ryalluvdiz Mouseketeer

I truly hope it all works out for you....and whenever you do get to go, I'm sure it will be magical!!!!