Looking back at 2016, what is the best park tip you can offer?

Be flexible. We had rain more days than not on our June trip (including a TS), and we had to change plans on the fly a few days. When things happen, you have 2 options - roll with it or get all worked up and ruin your day.

I definitely agree on "take the time to stop and smell the roses". I love appreciating well-thought details - anywhere, not just in Disney.

However, I'm an international visitor 20-hours flight time away, and a Disney trip is something we can only do once in a blue moon. So it's pretty hard of letting go that "pressure" of doing all the things we want. I know being flexible is important, but when the trip is so rare and so very expensive, you can't help feeling a tad disappointed when you missed 2-3 rides you've had your eyes on for months.

That being said, I'm glad that I also realize the danger of being burned out. Not a Disney expert, but def agree on having breaks and non-park days, even without kids.

Agree. My family are not foodies, and my son is timid around characters. So I have to accept that character meals are probably not worth that much for us, although it's everyone else's must-do. We shouldn't feel pressured to do something just because everyone else is doing it :)

I wouldn't say that character breakfasts are must-dos for everyone. They're very expensive, and it's hard to take pics in there, because of the low lighting. Meet and greets are much better outside, or inside with proper lighting (the inside ones always have a spotlight on them).

Good advice in this thread. I would add the following: it's your vacation; tailor it according to your needs and wants. If you love rides more than anything, make sure you don't miss any of your faves. If you want to experience just about everything, make sure you have enough days to do so. If a certain show or parade is a top priority, then make it your priority. And inform yourself, so you have realistic expectations about what you can accomplish on the trip. Unrealistic expectations are probably the number one reason for disappointment.

This year, my family learned:

1. to skip the parks on check-in day and take the time to explore the resort.
2. to split up if necessary.
3. Snacks and drinks, always!
4. that we function better with a later morning, though picking one or two days to hit a park at opening for a must-do ride is great!

Our family rules are pretty much "be flexible" and "everyone has to try one new thing", whether that's a ride, a type of food, or a show we haven't seen yet. We changed ADRs on the fly, dropped FPs when necessary, and just sort of went with the flow. I got the Disney crud toward the end of our trip, and it coincided with my youngest being 100% done with parks for the day. We slowly made our way back to the front of the park (he had the map and took his responsibility seriously), got to the resort, and I crashed for a bit while he happily ate snacks, played some kind of involved imaginary Star Wars game, and when the rest of the crew got back they all went to the pool. Best time I've ever had with a fever! And we experienced zero meltdowns, because we've also learned

5. a lot from past mistakes!

Don't book an entire trip around something new opening, unless you're allowing time for delays (a year or two in some cases) - and as others have said, be flexible. The chances of all of your plans going perfectly are slim, but you can still have a perfect vacation if you go with the flow.

Also, be nice to the Cast Members.

Prioritize your must do's and plan for them with fast passes and rope drop. Then everything else you experience is a bonus! Our last trip was my first trip with a teenager, and her priority was sleeping in. I loved that I could plan afternoon fast passes for her and she could take advantage of pm extra magic hours and stay at MK until 2 am! My younger son is an early riser and loved the am extra magic hours. So we split up and took advantage of the bus and boat system. Everyone had a blast!

I agree with what the others have said. I really, really enjoy the planning and it's a great way to pass the time until the trip. But it can be easy to get into the mindset of "today we have to do A, B, and C" when the truth is you're there to have a great day. That's what counts. I work myself into a frenzy with the planning because I'll get frustrated not being able to work in a character meet or an activity at the resort along with the rides we want to do and I feel like because we aren't going to be able to do everything on our list the trip is "less than". My advice is to set a few priorities a "must do's" but then plan your days not as "how are we going to do these ten rides and four shows" but as "what we would be a fun day." Not as We have these 35 things to do in our six days, how do we do it? but We have six days, how do we make each one fun? I try to remind myself of that throughout planning and the trip itself. Did we spend 6 great days together as a family? Yes we did so it's a successful trip!

It's ok to be related to, married to and friends with anti-Disney people. If they hate it, don't bring them. Do what makes YOU happy. Even if that means going solo or just you and the kids. It isn't for everyone. Don't force a round peg into a square hole because you "have to have family time".

Thank you for this. I'm a Disney-lover. DH is not. DD is a toddler and a terrible traveler. I cannot help but feel guilty at times while planning to go alone. Then I remember, DH and DD would be miserable and momma deserves a break, too!

I have a few...
1st Echo everything everyone before me has said about slowing down.
2. If you can afford it go to either a MNSSHP or MVMCP, so worth every penny to us!
3. Also, in the if you can afford it category, and love 7DMT, do a MK EMM! We had so much fun riding it over and over, front and back. Great breakfast as well!
4. Take tiny bites of Epcot. For me its such an overwhelming large park, that we did it in 3 visits. Much better than trying to rush from FW at 10:45 to try and hit WS and each country in 1 day!
5. If you're there during Candlelight Processional time, don't miss it!
These really are more than a few, hope you don't mind!

Great tip about EPCOT! I thought I could do it in one day as a first time visitor. I had no idea how wrong I was!

Turn the camera towards the family more, the parade and ride will be the same but its the family moments that are the memories.

Especially the video camera. Get the joy in there eyes.

My favorite photo of all time is one of my brother and myself in the teacup ride at DL. Our mother took the photo as we all noticed a parade going by. It was so unexpected and magical.

My favorite photo of all time is one of my brother and myself in the teacup ride at DL. Our mother took the photo as we all noticed a parade going by. It was so unexpected and magical.

I forgot their name on this forum but time to time they post a trip video they edit up and it's the best trip videos I've ever seen, you have the shows, rides and parades but they also have a lot of the family reacting to everything and it reminded me of my daughter reacting to things and I'm kicking myself for not having more of that recorded to pictures over the years.

1. Plan your meds for Extreme situations so you always have enough. Make sure 2 other people have extra meds just in case.
2. Stop and have an extra cup of ice water. Florida weather can be severe, staying hydrated is key.
3. Sometimes you need to sit out on of a ride and be the one to hold everyone's things so others can have special moments!
4. Always be prepared for rain! Ponchos fold up easily, are only a buck at the dollar store and can be used over and over again.
5. Make sure everyone has a say in the plans for your trip.

I forgot their name on this forum but time to time they post a trip video they edit up and it's the best trip videos I've ever seen, you have the shows, rides and parades but they also have a lot of the family reacting to everything and it reminded me of my daughter reacting to things and I'm kicking myself for not having more of that recorded to pictures over the years.

I agree so much!! One of the most favorite videos that my family could watch over and over was the one DH took of our DS who was 4 at the time on the Backlot Tour tram right as the tram started to shake, the driver is warning everyone and the water comes gushing down. DH also had our other kids in the video, but he was mostly panning to my youngest, who didn't know what was coming. Priceless!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter