Looking back at 2016, what is the best park tip you can offer?

I definitely agree on "take the time to stop and smell the roses". I love appreciating well-thought details - anywhere, not just in Disney.

However, I'm an international visitor 20-hours flight time away, and a Disney trip is something we can only do once in a blue moon. So it's pretty hard of letting go that "pressure" of doing all the things we want. I know being flexible is important, but when the trip is so rare and so very expensive, you can't help feeling a tad disappointed when you missed 2-3 rides you've had your eyes on for months.

That being said, I'm glad that I also realize the danger of being burned out. Not a Disney expert, but def agree on having breaks and non-park days, even without kids.

Be aware of who you are traveling with and plan accordingly.

Agree. My family are not foodies, and my son is timid around characters. So I have to accept that character meals are probably not worth that much for us, although it's everyone else's must-do. We shouldn't feel pressured to do something just because everyone else is doing it :)

My Sep/Oct trip became an unintentional "Guest Recovery" research trip.

Don't hesitate to stop by Guest Relations or a store if a Disney item you have purchased is defective or is lost.

My brand-new WDW umbrella's loop handle broke as I was exiting a Splash log and even though the Splash CM was about to stick his hand in the flume to try to grab it, I asked him not to attempt it. He told us to stop by GR on our way out.

At Guest Relations, I nicely explained what happened and that we were told to stop by. I received a voucher for a new umbrella and we exchanged it at the Emporium.

Balloons that deflate and ponchos that rip during your trip can readily be exchanged at point of sale locations without going to GR.

Happy New Year, DISers! :wizard:

Turn the camera towards the family more, the parade and ride will be the same but its the family moments that are the memories.

Especially the video camera. Get the joy in there eyes.

Love these tips, thank you!

Going to Disney with just the girls and I WITHOUT daddy/husband made a great wonderful trip! It was the most magical relaxed trip that we had, as we did not have to wait for daddy! We went with the flow, we changed plans on the fly, we ate if we needed or skipped a meal if we just felt like it. I learned that a 6 year old can really do a Pre Park Opening Breakfast and make it all the way to the end of a MNSSHP without a problem. Simple planning was key, use the AC rides when it got hot, ask for cups of ice with a glass of water. I learned that spending less money on a trip makes the trip a lot better than having the best all the time.

It's ok to be related to, married to and friends with anti-Disney people. If they hate it, don't bring them. Do what makes YOU happy. Even if that means going solo or just you and the kids. It isn't for everyone. Don't force a round peg into a square hole because you "have to have family time".

That it IS possible to over plan. We had a wonderful time on our trip in April but we did have a few exhausted, cranky moments just because I had tried to pack too much in. We were going to ADRs not hungry and not enjoying the experience. The next trip, I only booked a few ADRs and left a lot more free time open. Much better! I still have to stop myself from adding too much on my upcoming trip. There is just so much to do! But I've made sure to limit the days with multiple ADRs and leave more evenings open to do whatever. I've even added a couple mornings to sleep in (this is a big deal as I'm normally a die-hard rope dropper). We've gotten to the point where we've done all the major stuff so now we can focus on the little fun things instead of stressing over a SDMT fast pass.

If you see a souvenir that you think you might want, buy it the first time you see it.

I held off on buying anything until later in the week on my trip, thinking I might find something "better", but by the time I went to purchase what I wanted, it was gone at all the stores in the World except two. And we didn't have time to go get it (had to make magical express). Luckily they have the Shop Disney Parks app, where I ended up finding the mug I wanted and shipped it to my house. While it wasn't as fun as buying it in the parks, I still got it. (With extra stress...my fault.)

Anyway, the point is: park inventory turns over quickly, especially holiday items. The friendly cast members who tried to help me told me even they buy something right away when they see it. You can always return or exchange it!

So don't make the same mistake I did! Buy it when you see it. :rolleyes2

Take the plunge and book an ADR at a Signature Restaurant. At Disney, my kids love the rides and me and my husband love the food. There are truly incredible places that you might never experience in your everyday lives. We also love sitting down and slowing down for a great meal in the air conditioning to talk and share our favorite moments of the trip.

Be patient with the CMs and the the guests in the parks.

If there is a special event going on while you are in a certain park, take advantage of it. It may not be available the next time you are there.

Also make sure to drink plenty of water in the parks, especially in summer. Dehydration is not fun.

R-E-L-A-X!! YOUR ON VACATION!!

We all plan to a certain extent for our trips to this magicalworld and want it to be built with memories that last forever, but remember that the best memories cannot be forced they will just happen.

When your family sleep in past the alarm and your not making rope drop. Relax! it's not going to ruin your vacation.

When you have been waiting in line for hours for FEA and it breaks down. Relax you are still not dealing with customers ,bosses and coworkers at work because your on vacation.

When you show up for your ADR that you made six months in advance and it takes an hour to be seated. Relax your on vacation.

I could go on forever with more scenarios but the point is that we are all here because we love Disney and want every detail to be magical for our loved ones. If we are uptight and let the little things ruin our plans, you are only ruining the day for the ones you were trying so hard to create the magic for.

RELAX!!! YOUR ON VACATION!!

My best tip has remained pretty much the same over the years. Be at the park at rope drop and take an afternoon break. Relax at your resort. Feel free to take a nap. You are on vacation. Then head back out after you are refreshed.

Turn the camera towards the family more, the parade and ride will be the same but its the family moments that are the memories.

Especially the video camera. Get the joy in there eyes.

This was my goal this past trip. Here is my tip related to this.

If your little ones haven't seen the Frozen Sing-Along Celebration at HS, be ready to record them towards the end of it with the snow. I remember being a bit curious why the dad in front of me had his camera pointed at his kids at this point in the show. Then when it started I was enjoying watching my kids reactions so much I didn't realize I should be recording. I got about 10 seconds recorded before it finished. Kids were having a blast, would have been nice to catch the whole thing.

Last edited:
Definitely show down and relax. We've gone once year for the last 8 years and until this past year we still went sun-up to sun-down trying to fit in every attraction at every park. Last year DH said to me while we were planning "We don't have to do every single thing every year." I really took that to heart and we slowed down a lot. We did RD each morning, but then wrapped up at the parks by early afternoon and had leisurely afternoons at the pool and evenings hanging out at the hotel bar. We even did a "No Parks" day, which just about killed me when we were in the planning stages, but I later realized it was a fantastic day.

This year we are going to slow down even more and do Deluxe Dining, so a big part of our trip will be spent doing signature dining at resorts.

1) Get off your phone/camera. Enjoy the moment through your eyes. Live each moment like you are paying thousands of dollars to see it. Pictures are great and wonderful, but pure memories are worth so much more to the individual who experienced it.

2) Going with tiny humans (cute infants), utilize the child care centers. God send, nice break, quiet atmosphere a place to relax and push the reset button on babies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter