Looking back at 2016, what is the best park tip you can offer?

CampbellzSoup

Son. Husband. Father.
Can you guys believe 2016 is over?

I can't. This is the year I became an annual pass holder, and I can not WAIT to see what 2017 brings us.

What did you guys learn this year that might help people out in the future or in 2017?

My favorite tip was try to take in more of the ambiance. I use to RUN from ride to ride to ride...but Disney truly is about the small details, and the amazing theming. I think by getting tunnel vision, and becoming a drone to My Disney Experience you do kinda take out the leisure part of Disney.

So my personal advice that I learned in 2016 - take it easy, and do more sightseeing than commando style...you might actually enjoy more seeing the smaller things!

Just because you have a fastpass does not mean you have to use it...if something great but unexpected comes up you can go with it and enjoy it. Switch it or cancel it and take a big sigh of relief that you don't have to stress about being somewhere in 10 minutes...you are NOT tied to that itinerary you so meticulously planned 2 and 6 months ago! Much easier said than done, but oh so worth it!

Best Park tip:
Rope drop OR have a pre park opening ADR.
Either will get your fav ride with no wait time, AND give you the only chance to snap a pic with (potentially) no one in the background. That picture hangs on my wall and is a reminder of the special thing that Disney is (without crowds) :)

I agree with previous posts. I think our best tip is to work in time to be more liesurely especially if you go during a busy time like spring break. We get to park at opening but plan to make it back to our resort after lunch at least a few days. Enjoy the sunshine if you have it. Relax by the pool. Have a cocktail.

My tip: splurge on a DVC for adult privavcy at night or if you are in a regular room invest in significant points on a arcade card and send the (old enough) kids out of the room. A vacation is not truly a vacation if you can't enjoy some "adult time." Don't come home exhausted, cranky, and sex deprived. :) That's no vacation.

We also became AP this year. We discovered that we are Rope Drop people and that we are NOT foodies. At RD you can get so much in before the crowds arrive and it is so much more enjoyable. We then skip the crowded afternoon in the parks (relax at the resort) then return for evening shows. I am glad there are people who prefer to sleep in or make morning dining reservations over RD but I don't understand it. As for not being foodies, most of this stems from the fact our kids are 1 and 4 and our schedule needs to be more flexible. While we have enjoyed the character meals and ADR we have made in the past (for the most part) I do not like being tied to a reservation time that was decided months ahead of time when I had no idea how we would feel, or what we would be doing that we would have to leave just to make our reservation. Unless it is a PPO breakfast we now either pack snacks, grab a quick service meal or make a last minute reservation on the ap. We prefer flexibility over getting into one particular restaurant.

If you have kids, go with the flow. If kiddo wants to play Sorcerors of the Magic Kingdom for an hour and a half during the lowest ride wait times of the day, just do it. Forcing them to do what you think they should be doing rather what they feel like doing is a recipe for disaster.

My Sep/Oct trip became an unintentional "Guest Recovery" research trip.

Don't hesitate to stop by Guest Relations or a store if a Disney item you have purchased is defective or is lost.

My brand-new WDW umbrella's loop handle broke as I was exiting a Splash log and even though the Splash CM was about to stick his hand in the flume to try to grab it, I asked him not to attempt it. He told us to stop by GR on our way out.

At Guest Relations, I nicely explained what happened and that we were told to stop by. I received a voucher for a new umbrella and we exchanged it at the Emporium.

Balloons that deflate and ponchos that rip during your trip can readily be exchanged at point of sale locations without going to GR.

Happy New Year, DISers! :wizard:

This one is probably obvious to most people but...
Character meets are awesome and should be done!
I've been to DW so many times before and I thought character meets would be a total waste of time. But during my latest trip I finally took the plunge and really enjoyed myself! Instead of running from ride to ride I met some characters in between, and it made my trip more relaxing.

I'm enjoying the tips in this thread - getting me excited for my next trip!

Looking back at 2016, I learned don't plan around Rivers of Light...:rotfl: (which I now generalize to not planning around any timelines for new attractions, etc., which I didn't really do before, but you know what I mean...)

ETA: but I did get to meet some great DISers while attempting to plan around ROL...

Last edited:
Do something new on each trip. I had two trips that were almost identical to each other in terms of the parks we went to, the rides we did, the places we ate. On my last trip, we did the Pirates and Pals Cruise and we went to every deluxe resort. I learned that I enjoy Wishes more from far away. I also learned which deluxe resorts I want to stay at one day (see my sig if you want to know which ones. My advice to you- even if you have your favorites and your routines.... break out of it and try new things!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!