Kids, Disney, Action! Extreme Trip (Report). Three-Peat and Done 7/11

kitty said:
And we only took one or two wrong turns on the way to Old Key West, since, as it turns out, it is a DOWNTOWN DISNEY resort and NOT an Epcot resort. In case you didn't know. Ahem.

Reminds me of how we got lost looking for the Pop Century. You can SEE it from the entrance road. Ahem.

You know I always get nervous when a police car drives beside me only to go speeding past. And I am doing the speed limit , okay a little over but still I wonder if it is weird for them to give us speeding tickets when they do the same thing.

Your kids have the most beautiful eyes.

So will hubby go back to Bob Evans?

--

Chocolate Milk - Nectar of the Gods :teeth:

I can soooo relate to this. My own children recieved their milk directly from the cow, so to speak. And then from a gallon container that was only vitamin D fortified. But somehow, as the years passed and that 1st grandbaby came along, the rules changed, crap I am not sure there are any rules :rolleyes:

Hayley is the Queen of chocolate milk. Life would end if we didn't have any. I would drink Nescafe before allowing the fridge to NOT contain chocolate milk. It may be more important than toilet paper, being we do have old catalogs available :rotfl2: Please say you went to the grocery, otherwise I can hear the cries from 4 states away and will rush with a sippy cup full of the nectar :banana: :banana: :banana:

Now that's just funny. Wesley prefers Ovaltine. :thumbsup2

I think it would be helpful for Disney to LIST which resorts constitute which area. On their signs. So as to alleviate these issues. Because it's hard to know, with the mods and values, what their designation is. IMHO. Would probably cut down on the number of arguments between spouses before arriving at their happy destination. :)

(We, personally do not encounter this... because I keep the PassPorter with me... so I can check to see what is considered a "Downtown Disney Resort". When necessary! :rotfl2: )

Amy - another "laugh out loud" chapter!

Luckily for me the po-lice didn't stop me at the door and demand payment

I'm confuzzled by this? You were with the (a) pol-lice, weren't you?. :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

After the bathroom square-dance.

Whew - I remember those complicated bathroom breaks. It's so nice to be able to go by myself again!

(I particularly like the bug splats on the windshield.)

From now on, every picture of the gates I see, I'll be disappointed if there are no bug splats!! :lmao:

He has commented that he didn't think that the Richard Petty Driving Experience would be that fun. It was just going fast

:lmao:

Chocolate Milk - Nectar of the Gods

Grammy I couldn't have said it better myself. DS almost died when Kroger stopped making those little 6 packs of coco milk!

And finally:

And we only took one or two wrong turns on the way to Old Key West, since, as it turns out, it is a DOWNTOWN DISNEY resort and NOT an Epcot resort. In case you didn't know. Ahem

It's the purple signs, I tell ya! We did this a zillon times in July! And I had trouble finding POP in September. Ask Grammy or Horsey.... If it wasn't for Goofy and the gang on the DVC red bus to use as a landmark, I'd still be driving around!!!

Keep it comin'!

GADISNEYGIRL said:
(We, personally do not encounter this... because I keep the PassPorter with me... so I can check to see what is considered a "Downtown Disney Resort". When necessary! :rotfl2: )
(sheepishly admitting) I HAD the Passporter with me!

And, Rhonda, sorry dear, I think the reason you guys don't get lost is because you are almost as familiar with THOSE roads as you are with the local ones! (jealously accusing)

YAK, Grammy, Nab, Haley ~
I'm working hard on more episodes. I just wrote three based on half a page worth of notes. In a smallish notebook. But need to wait til I bring my photos to work. Tomorrow. (I finally got my photos out of hock, by the way!)

My next chapter (to write, not to post) shall be based on a mere two lines. Because it was so special I didn't need to take notes to remember it!

Okay Amy, I gotta say it.

What in the HECK is your little sweet girlie doing with that coat on? :confused3

Today is the first day we've needed coats since last March! Did you sneak a pic today as you were taking them to school and try to pass it off as a vacation photo?

Seriously - I love your report. I love your writing. I wanted to quote so many things and comment, but it would take me all night.

Loved it all. Keep it comin!!!

NM :sunny:

I have to agree with nicolemarie -- what is nofear doing wearing a jacket? When I first saw the picture, I had to scan back to the first page to see if we were talking about a September trip. And we are. So..what's with the jacket?!

I see you have a bug splattered view of the arches as well...we're still working on getting the tar remover to get them off and to hopefully preserve the paint job.

Looking forward to the next chapter (now I am off to work on my own!).

nicolemarie said:
Okay Amy, I gotta say it.

What in the HECK is your little sweet girlie doing with that coat on? :confused3

Today is the first day we've needed coats since last March! Did you sneak a pic today as you were taking them to school and try to pass it off as a vacation photo?

:rotfl2: NM! I was thinking the same thing! "They're in Georgia, why does NoFear have a coat on?"

Amy, you are doing a wonderful job. I am excited to see more pictures!! Good for you taking notes....I'm trying to do it all from memory, which is not easy!!

AshClan said:
:rotfl2: NM! I was thinking the same thing! "They're in Georgia, why does NoFear have a coat on?"

Amy, you are doing a wonderful job. I am excited to see more pictures!! Good for you taking notes....I'm trying to do it all from memory, which is not easy!!

Okay...I have made fun of you for this too -- but I now realize that I have to come to your defense! While I was sweltering with 90's and 90% humidity at the world...my mom said they had to turn the heat on at home. There was a cold spell. Now...it was a Georgia cold spell, meaning 40's at night but mid to upper 70's in the day time. For a Georgian...this is a cold spell.

The highs were in the 60's this weekend -- and you should have seen people here on Sunday at church -- in their sweaters, turtle necks and heavy coats. My DH grew up in the Boston suburbs -- he likes to ice skate in shorts. Me...I grew up in Florida and Georgia -- it was time to get out the sweaters!

Why do kids do what they do? Who can explain to a four year old that she doesn't need a jacket when she INSISTS that she does?

I just didn't want to fight with her that morning. And I knew she would take it off soon enough. And she did. Plus, Boost keeps the car cold like he keeps the house cold. I brought a sweater for the car, too.

That really IS the picture from when we left that morning!

:teeth:

You got it, Amy. Some battles are just not worth it. And some things they just NEED to figure out on their own! :rotfl2:

I agree with kpk89 - you made a wise choice Amy. No point upsetting the wee one for nothing.

Adorable kiddies!

Everytime I see posters pics of the WDW gates I can feel the anticipation of what's to come in future installments cause I know the magic is really beginning now.

Planning a Disney vacation is such wonderful fun. I love planning. I love making the decisions about where we stay, where we eat, where we go.

Some MIGHT call me a control freak. SOME. Most of the people on this board (in an effort to avoid the label themselves) would just call it GOOD PLANNING.

Well, even before Boost and I drove home from our vacation last year (where we took part in the Disney eat-fest known as "free dining"), I was mentally planning our NEXT trip, with the kids. Even before the last trip I had found the DISboards. And become addicted. Although at that point I was more of a lurker. In any case, the DISboards are wonderful. And dangerous.

And I don't just mean the stuff that comes up on the community board and the flame-retardant suit that I invested in.

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing." ~Alexander Pope

This "little knowledge" led me to the understanding that, since I had insufficient cash to invest in permanent Disney vacations (otherwise known as the Disney Vacation Club), I could still experience the wonder, magic, and large size of those accommodations by renting points from a member. This requires cash on hand and TRUST. Mostly trust.

So, I confess, my trust was stretched when we reached the front gates at Old Key West and neither our name, nor the name of the person from whom I rented the points was on the check-in list. Inside I was panicking. Was I going to be the poor soul that you sometimes read about that shows up for vacation and has been bilked? Cheated? Scammed? NO PLACE TO STAY?

Outwardly, I was calm. (I think). I believe I said something smart, witty, and apropos, like "huh. that's weird."

Then I figured out that the ONE thing I had not printed and placed into my black binder of knowledge was a copy of the confirmation of our reservation.

OH MY GOOD GRACIOUSNESS.

I continued to inwardly panic, and outwardly calm, until we got to the check-in.

And.

I might not have been as calm as I think I was.

Because Boost dropped me off and went to park the bullet and get the kids out. Really, I think he just didn't want to be there when and if I exploded and started wailing.

He doesn't handle crying well at all. Which is why my kids get band-aids when they stub their toes. Which violates my band-aid rule: No blood, no band-aid. Band-aids are WAY more expensive than stickers. When they stub their toe they should get a sticker.

Where was I? OH, trust, and checking in to Old Key West . . .

I decided that I also didn't want him around at the moment I found out that my life had turned to tragedy, so hotfooted my way inside praying that the gate just had a faulty print-out.

When they young man behind the counter pulled up my name I almost kissed him. From relief. (And he was kind of cute.) Anyway . . . My reservation was there. I instantly started babbling in relief . . . front gate didn't have our name, making sure reservation hadn't been canceled, what would we have done, husband would have killed me. I think those were the highlights.

Until he asked if we were expecting a package.

Which we were.

Because my sister, who was making that oh-so-important dress had decided to overnight it to our home away from home instead of to our other, permanent, home. To make sure it got there in time. And it was waiting on us! (Along with some mickey shirts and a surprise for Grammy.)

I was pleased.

Until I pulled out the wad o' cash to pay for our dining package.

Okay, the "little knowledge" that I mentioned before, it also led me to the belief that since Disney marketing had offered free dining in 2005, that they were very unlikely to offer it again in 2006. Since they never offer the same deal two years in a row. Even in hurricane season. EVER. Which is why renting, I thought was our best option.

And why, 11 months prior to our planned vacation, I was looking to do just that. Rent. Points. I wanted to stay at the Villas Wilderness Lodge, but, once Grammy signed on, and we decided that we needed a 1 BR, decided that the price difference between VWL and OKW was too much to bear. So, OKW it was. BIG rooms, washer and dryer in unit. And, beachy. Which Grammy likes.

At that time, no Disney dining plan was available for DVC, but I decided we could live without it. A few short months later Disney announced that DVC would be able to purchase the dining plan! Hooray! Even better!

"If a little knowledge is dangerous, where is the man who has so much as to be out of danger?" ~Thomas Henry Huxley

Not where I live. Let me assure you. This spring, Disney announced that it was REPEATING free dining.

What?

They aren't supposed to DO that!

I bet. I lost.

Can you believe we actually PAID for dining?????

And had a FABULOUSLY large villa!
82351OKW_Kitchen_1224_x_816_-med.jpg

82351OKW_Living_1224_x_816_-med.jpg

Complete with a Towel Animal (Elephant):
82351Kids_and_Towel_Animal_1224_x_816_-med.jpg

And ducks!
82351Ducks_918_x_612_-med.jpg

And Cranes (which are mean suckers, btw. Ouch!)
82351cranes_918_x_612_-med.jpg

A king sized bed!
82351OKW_Master_Bed_816_x_1224_-med.jpg

And a family bathtub!
82351OKW_Master_Bath_1224_x_816_-med.jpg

I remain pleased with my choice!

But, is it enough to convince Boost that we should buy, if we ever win the Lottery?

Word to the Wise . . . (that would be ME!) (Page 10, Post 144)

Oooo Oooo Oooo - I get to be first! Great story Amy! There is nothing like that feeling of, "we've travelled this far, our plans are set, and them not having your name - or having something wrong."

Glad it was all good to go!

Blessings!
MarkyMark

Beautiful Resort Amy - you're sooo lucky. Thanks for the pics.

Your darling looks adorable hugging her towel animal :)

Amy!

You finally got your pho-toes!!!!

Nice!!

Honestly. I'm sure your DH just didn't want your children to see their mommy get all Exorcist-y!!!!

Amy - :rotfl2:

You report made me laugh out loud. Because we are BORG!

We are three time renters now. The first time was OKW. I felt exactly like you did. And I had my in-law's with me. Sister-in-law too!
It looks as if we will be destined to be renters as well. But the great thing is I'm now friends with "the guy with the points". My hit. My supplier, so to speak and have rented twice from him. So, July was no worries!

BTW - you have our room. From July!! Exactly! :thumbsup2
I hope we didn't leave any surprises under the bed! ;)

Enjoying the read!

Thanks!

I have nothing funny or witty to add. Except to say that I'm STILL enjoying this immensely.

Heh heh.

BOOYEAH!

Kitty.

Cheers, Mel.

GeorgiaAristocat said:
So, I confess, my trust was stretched when we reached the front gates at Old Key West and neither our name, nor the name of the person from whom I rented the points was on the check-in list. Inside I was panicking. Was I going to be the poor soul that you sometimes read about that shows up for vacation and has been bilked? Cheated? Scammed? NO PLACE TO STAY?

Outwardly, I was calm. (I think). I believe I said something smart, witty, and apropos, like "huh. that's weird."

Then I figured out that the ONE thing I had not printed and placed into my black binder of knowledge was a copy of the confirmation of our reservation.

OH MY GOOD GRACIOUSNESS.

I continued to inwardly panic, and outwardly calm, until we got to the check-in.

And.

I might not have been as calm as I think I was.

Because Boost dropped me off and went to park the bullet and get the kids out. Really, I think he just didn't want to be there when and if I exploded and started wailing.

He doesn't handle crying well at all. Which is why my kids get band-aids when they stub their toes. Which violates my band-aid rule: No blood, no band-aid. Band-aids are WAY more expensive than stickers. When they stub their toe they should get a sticker.

Where was I? OH, trust, and checking in to Old Key West . . .

I decided that I also didn't want him around at the moment I found out that my life had turned to tragedy, so hotfooted my way inside praying that the gate just had a faulty print-out.

When they young man behind the counter pulled up my name I almost kissed him. From relief. (And he was kind of cute.) Anyway . . . My reservation was there. I instantly started babbling in relief . . . front gate didn't have our name, making sure reservation hadn't been canceled, what would we have done, husband would have killed me. I think those were the highlights.

:crazy2: :eek: :scared: :faint: Thankfully this worked out :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter