Keepin' it on the downlow(country) at HHI - New TR link - pg 31

After the beach part of our day was over, we made plans to go out for dinner and decided to try one of the “Preferred” (meaning discount available!) restaurants.

That's usually how I define my "preferred" places too!

We didn’t really need dessert, but we got a banana pudding to share.

Rarely does one NEED a dessert. But it's just as rare to pass one up.

She said, “oh, you’ve got one of the old ones”. I thought she was talking about the tripod and I was like “yep”. “They sure cost enough, like twenty dollars”, she said. “At least!”, I said. “But if it works, use it, right?” Then she became incredulous…”You can use yours?!!” And then I finally realized that she was talking about the mug and I had to explain that I just used that in the van for the drive to Hilton Head.

Man, you almost started your own Disney scam there!

In the Mercantile I said something about the sunset and the cast member said that it was too cloudy tonight. Then we browsed the store for a while and when I finally paused to take a peek out the window I saw that an amazing sunset was winding down.

D'oh! Guess that CM didn't get a shout-out on the survey.

I think at first they couldn’t’ find a key to open the equipment cabinet.

Can't somebody hotwire this thing?

That was until a big ol’ junebug flew down the collar of my shirt. I had to reach down and grab him and use a judo throw on him to get him out.

:rotfl2::rotfl2: What, no video??

That’s okay, we’d had our own Best! Day! Ever!

:goodvibes:thumbsup2

decided to try one of the “Preferred” (meaning discount available!) restaurants.

Ahhhh my favourite restaurant. Discounted. I think all the guys are in agreement on that one. :laughing:

My date for the evening.

IMG_8083_zps84b27006.jpg

Phew. You're lucky. That could have been embarrassing.

Before posting this chapter I asked Judy what she thought about it and she said she loved it

Sure sounds like a winner to me.

And this new bedside lamp as well.

IMG_8100_zpsdcbe5a57.jpg

I quite like that lamp. Rustic yet classy.

I love a good beach day with little documentation and pictures. In the moment is a very very good thing, and very relaxing! Dinner looked really good too!

We got back to the suite a little after 6 and a phenomenon arose that I’ve seen as other trips have neared their end – I started taking pictures of everything around the suite. This evening however, was dedicated to the artwork in the suite. Pictures of pictures.

I know that phenomena well

Shortly into it, Judy was complaining about getting bitten by bugs. The term “eaten alive” may have been used, but I was inclined to just ignore them. That was until a big ol’ junebug flew down the collar of my shirt. I had to reach down and grab him and use a judo throw on him to get him out. Then I was ready to go too. We left before Rapunzel had even escaped her tower.

Eaten alive is not one to be ignored. Not that I'm glad a bug flew down your shirt but it saved your wife's life!

OK. Let's see. I read your last update, but just got pulled away. Now let's see what I remember.

Dinner - it looks fun and delish. Judy's meal looks fab although I'm not sure if I could have stood that much heat. What a fun restaurant. It is now officially on my HHI bucket list!

Bummer about missing the sunset, almost. I guess those folks in HHI get spoilted. If there's the smallest amount of cloud they think its not worth viewing. I disagree.

Sorry the bugs got you. I think we remembered bug spray, but we were also there earlier in the season after a cold spell so it wasn't bad.

Say you are not leaving all ready!!!!! The worst part of a HHI trip is the ride home. :faint:

I missed the food update. Both of your meals look great...I could go for either one of those.

And you had a lovely date that evening.

I broke from my modus-operandi and did a 2-chapter update, so I can see how you might've missed it. Anyway, the food was good there. Yum!

I sure did!

Hey, I always prefer a discount too!

You obviously aren't a buyer for the Defense Department.

Nope. Not buying it. You always need dessert.

I don't need much convincing!

That's the key! I'm glad you enjoyed your meals.

Good stuff!

:crazy2: :faint: Definitely a good call to eat in the A/C.

It was pretty darned hot, and we're from up north so not as used to that kind of thing.

:eek: :eek: :eek: You found her!

All this time they've been looking in Scotland! Doh!

Even Disney has these problems. Makes you feel better about yourself, doesn't it?

I can program the DVR and everything.

Yeah... I mean it would be nice to watch it outside on the big screen. But I'm sure you've seen Tangled before and will see it again. No point sitting there getting eaten up by bugs.

I've used this Far Side already in this trip report, but this is a good opportunity to use it again!

Far20Side20insects_zps50xcos5s.jpg

Great pictures as always glennbo! And thanks for noticing my Malta trip, excited is an understatement for how I'm feeling about that! I get a twin room with a harbour view balcony to myself courtesy of my wonderful parents, should be something spectacular. I'll remember to try and get some pictures to show on here if I can, a nice harbour sunset would do nicely...

You should soon be on your way I suppose, so have a great trip! Yes, please give us a report or at least post a few pictures. Feel free to advertise here!

Love the food pics as always, though I too would prefer the less spicy dish, and that "key lim" pie sounds interesting right now... And I agree with you, wildlife shots are so hard to get, though you came closer than I usually do!

We like a little spice, but not crazy hot.

Yeah, I guess I could never be a nature photographer.

That bug incident sounds nasty :scared: I think you made a wise decision to retreat... And that espresso mug looks brilliant, I need to dig out my old cups from trips too!

New life for the old coffee mugs, relegated to the back of the cupboard!

Overall another great chapter, shame about the unreliable weather info from the CM leading to a nearly missed sunset, but I guess when is a weather forecast ever accurate? :rolleyes1

Well, I should have relied on my own assessment really. I shouldn't blame them.

You know us well....

Mmm-hmmm.

We are too, you trip-writing professional!

I've been around the block. Writer's block, that is.

Phew! I'd hate to have seen you doing dishes!

You and me both!

Those are exactly the kind of souvies I love the most!!

You're very practical. That's a great quality!

That's usually how I define my "preferred" places too!

Well that, and their level of bacon-friendliness.

Rarely does one NEED a dessert. But it's just as rare to pass one up.

True!

Man, you almost started your own Disney scam there!

I would've been reading about it in one of the forums here!

D'oh! Guess that CM didn't get a shout-out on the survey.

No, they didn't. But like I said to Squidginess, I should've judged for myself.

Can't somebody hotwire this thing?

Does anybody have a bobby pin?

:rotfl2::rotfl2: What, no video??

Nope. And somehow I even managed not to run around and scream like a little girl. Not sure how I pulled that off.

Ahhhh my favourite restaurant. Discounted. I think all the guys are in agreement on that one. :laughing:

With the exchange rate, you're getting a discount on everything here!!

Phew. You're lucky. That could have been embarrassing.

Reminds me of a toast I once heard (but for the record, have never said!): "To our wives and girlfriends!"
"May they never meet!"

Sure sounds like a winner to me.

:thumbsup2

I quite like that lamp. Rustic yet classy.

Oh the lamp! I thought you were describing me there for a second. :laughing:

I love a good beach day with little documentation and pictures. In the moment is a very very good thing, and very relaxing! Dinner looked really good too!

What a great vacation day!

I know that phenomena well

Of course! You've roomed with @MEK !! :rotfl2:

Eaten alive is not one to be ignored. Not that I'm glad a bug flew down your shirt but it saved your wife's life!

And therefore, my own!

OK. Let's see. I read your last update, but just got pulled away. Now let's see what I remember.

I know the feeling. Especially if you read it on your phone...such a pain to do comments.

Dinner - it looks fun and delish. Judy's meal looks fab although I'm not sure if I could have stood that much heat. What a fun restaurant. It is now officially on my HHI bucket list!

I hope you get to try it sometime. It's not as fancy as Vine, but a nice place and a good meal.

Bummer about missing the sunset, almost. I guess those folks in HHI get spoilted. If there's the smallest amount of cloud they think its not worth viewing. I disagree.

I forgot that sometimes a little cloudiness actually makes for a better sunset.

Sorry the bugs got you. I think we remembered bug spray, but we were also there earlier in the season after a cold spell so it wasn't bad.

The cast members offered some before the show started, but we would've needed the industrial-strength version.

Say you are not leaving all ready!!!!! The worst part of a HHI trip is the ride home. :faint:

Well, the good news is that I need to finish up this TR because I have a trip coming up. So it isn't all bad!

Taking notes here, hoping I can get out to HH sometime soon. You would think it would be easy for me to do but nope.

Glad you had a great meal and got the required picture of pictures going.

Sorry the natural inhabitants of the island were "bugging" you at the movie. :rotfl2:

I so believe you are close to another trip soon. :thumbsup2

Glenn, I am so behind on your trip report! But I loved the last update! Your day at the beach sounded just perfect! And your pictures are always beautiful to look at!

I looooove Low Country Backyard! We go to HHI almost every year (not at DVC), and it's a must-do! I'm jealous that you got a discount! Was it because you were staying at the DVC property?

Taking notes here, hoping I can get out to HH sometime soon. You would think it would be easy for me to do but nope.

Yes, I'd think you'd be there a couple of times a year, at least! No, I know quite well how other things get in the way. I hope you can make it soon though!

Glad you had a great meal and got the required picture of pictures going.

Thanks. We got the suite pretty well picture-documented. (And a few more coming in the next chapter, for good measure.) :laughing:
Sorry the natural inhabitants of the island were "bugging" you at the movie. :rotfl2:

I was just getting more acquainted with the natural flora and fauna of the island.

I so believe you are close to another trip soon. :thumbsup2

Yep. In 3 weeks. :mickeyjum

Glenn, I am so behind on your trip report! But I loved the last update! Your day at the beach sounded just perfect! And your pictures are always beautiful to look at!

Aw, thanks Magdalene! I could go for a nice beach day right about now, but will have to wait for a few more days.

I looooove Low Country Backyard! We go to HHI almost every year (not at DVC), and it's a must-do! I'm jealous that you got a discount! Was it because you were staying at the DVC property?

Hi, and :welcome: SevenWonkas!! Yes, we really enjoyed Low Country Backyard too. The food was really good, and the place had a nice southern atmosphere. Yes, they offer a discount to those who are staying at the Disney resort. I think we just had to show our room key (card) to get it.

So true. I think it'll be great in June when we tack a couple of days at HHI onto our WDW vacation...hopefully it'll allow us to wind down on the way home.

That's what I'm hoping the Keys does for our Disney vacay. Just some long days sitting on the beach with some nice dinners out- no hoopla other than deciding whether to lie on my front or back.

Glenbo123..THANKS VERY MUCH for all your GREAT TIPS on HHI!:thumbsup2 FELL IN LOVE with the island!:dance3: LOVED the resort!:wave:
Check out my pics that I just posted from Building 31 on the DVC resorts section. PLANNING to definitely return! FABULOUS selection of restaurants; WOW!:cool1:

That's what I'm hoping the Keys does for our Disney vacay. Just some long days sitting on the beach with some nice dinners out- no hoopla other than deciding whether to lie on my front or back.

That sounds wonderful to me Liesa!! :thumbsup2

Glenbo123..THANKS VERY MUCH for all your GREAT TIPS on HHI!:thumbsup2 FELL IN LOVE with the island!:dance3: LOVED the resort!:wave:
Check out my pics that I just posted from Building 31 on the DVC resorts section. PLANNING to definitely return! FABULOUS selection of restaurants; WOW!:cool1:

Yay! So glad to hear that! I just looked at your pictures -- very nice! That building 31 is the one I was hoping for, before I found out that the 1-bedrooms are all in the Live Oak Lodge building.

Did you do any activities, like kayaking, crabbing, etc? Rent bikes?

Yay! So glad to hear that! I just looked at your pictures -- very nice! That building 31 is the one I was hoping for, before I found out that the 1-bedrooms are all in the Live Oak Lodge building.

Actually, this is close-most of the 1 BRs are in the Lodge, 16 of the 21 1 BRs. The other 5 are in buildings 16, 18, 19, 28, and 30, 1 each building on the first floor. Mostly because of the overhead noise factor, we choose the Lodge, top floor.

Did you do any activities, like kayaking, crabbing, etc? Rent bikes?
Rode our bikes daily to the beachhouse(thanks for your You Tube tutorial on biking to the beach house) and also to Kroger when we ran out of a few things. Also, rode down at the beach toward Coligny Beach..easy ride down, but tougher returning with the wind.
We enjoy walking so did early morning walks to the harbor to take in those beautiful views of those HUGE yachts and boats(YIKES!):scared1:
Zip lining was a blast for DH and TWO DS, but I was "too chicken, "just the picture taker"!:laughing: They said it was AWESOME! :PinkbouncWe all rented double wave runners right by the Lighthouse and that was really fun! One of our sons and DH golfed at Ocean Reef Golf Course and the report was that it was a BEAUTIFUL course. We ate SO MUCH great seafood during our stay. IMO, HHI is one FRIENDLY, FAMILY ORIENTED island!:thumbsup2:cheer2: WEATHER was great and ocean water temperature and quality was SUPER!:goodvibes

Actually, this is close-most of the 1 BRs are in the Lodge, 16 of the 21 1 BRs. The other 5 are in buildings 16, 18, 19, 28, and 30, 1 each building on the first floor. Mostly because of the overhead noise factor, we choose the Lodge, top floor.

Ahhh, I didn't know that. Thanks for correcting my misinformation Simba's Mom! :thumbsup2

Rode our bikes daily to the beachhouse(thanks for your You Tube tutorial on biking to the beach house) and also to Kroger when we ran out of a few things. Also, rode down at the beach toward Coligny Beach..easy ride down, but tougher returning with the wind.
We enjoy walking so did early morning walks to the harbor to take in those beautiful views of those HUGE yachts and boats(YIKES!):scared1:
Zip lining was a blast for DH and TWO DS, but I was "too chicken, "just the picture taker"!:laughing: They said it was AWESOME! :PinkbouncWe all rented double wave runners right by the Lighthouse and that was really fun! One of our sons and DH golfed at Ocean Reef Golf Course and the report was that it was a BEAUTIFUL course. We ate SO MUCH great seafood during our stay. IMO, HHI is one FRIENDLY, FAMILY ORIENTED island!:thumbsup2:cheer2: WEATHER was great and ocean water temperature and quality was SUPER!:goodvibes

That right there is one of the best, most concise, trip reports I've ever read, jerseygal! Wow, you folks were busy! And I just saw yet another post on the Resorts page where somebody asked "what is there to do at Hilton Head?". I'm glad the weather cooperated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter