Chefs de France
San Angel
Be Our Guest
Sci Fi Dine-In
Via Napoli
California Grill
Beaches and Cream
Sanaa

Who said I could add? Take off The Plaza (I changed that to Beaches & Cream)

:rotfl2:

Thank you for your great HH TR! My 7 month window will open up in September so hopefully we will be going in April. Thanks go to you for reviving my interest in visiting there! I will need to go back through your report and take note of the restaurants you liked there. Although I think the kids will be bringing friends, so not sure just how much eating out we'll be doing.

Have fun on your upcoming Disney trip. Looking forward to reading about it!

Thank you melk! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you can get some days at HHI, but I'm pretty sure that you will. Thanks for following along!

Average Russkie, son, don't take a dump without a plan.

That's the one! +1 :thumbsup2

ADR Guesses (not that I have any idea what I'm doing):

Spice Road Table
Sanaa
Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater
Be Our Guest
Via Napoli
Chefs De France
California Grill
Beaches & Cream

Duly noted.

Chefs de France
San Angel
Be Our Guest
Sci Fi Dine-In
Via Napoli
California Grill
Beaches and Cream
Sanaa

And also duly noted!

"Guess My ADRs" results will be posted later this evening!! :bitelip: :hyper:

Our next adventure

If you’ve read this far, you must be at least slightly curious about our next adventure. Our last trip to the “World” was a great big 3-part production called “City, Sand, and Savanna” and was covered in great minutiae here. This trip will be nearly as big, also have 3 parts, and who knows, may even have a 3-word titled trip report using alliteration but let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

Like last time, we have a high school graduate to celebrate (Marlene, this time) and will again be doing a New York City 3-night visit. I was able to trade-out some DVC points through RCI and got the exact dates I wanted on the first try. Easy peasy. We’ll be seeing “Phantom of the Opera”, touring Rockefeller Center, and visiting some museums, and that’s about all we have planned really. She wasn’t interested in seeing the Statue of Liberty or taking a boat tour like Lauren enjoyed, but hey, every kid’s different. Judy and I both will be accompanying her this time around. (Just Judy went with Lauren, if you recall.) I was going to be the only parent going this time originally, but I’ll need to do a full-day of work on one of the days, so I’ll do that from the hotel room while the girls hit the town. And our kids back home are big enough now to take care of themselves, so both parents are going this time around.

We’ll get back from that, have a day or two to unpack and repack, and start driving to Walt Disney World. Also happening during the turnaround days is I’ll work a full-day on a Saturday -- I can’t believe a guy can’t take nearly 3 weeks off without all of this work interruption! But even more fun, the kids and I will catch Paul McCartney in concert in Philly the night before we start driving. Maybe he’ll do “Drive My Car” so that we can have that echoing in our heads as we go. I told Judy that she can take the first shift of driving and I’ll relieve her later in the day...somewhere around South Carolina. I have a hotel reservation in Georgia and then we’ll roll into the Disney bubble on the second day of the drive.

We’ll be staying at the Boardwalk Villas for 6 nights. When we toured the Boardwalk model suite last time (I think?) Marlene said that that’s where she’d like to stay for her graduation trip, and that was fine with the rest of us also. We love our home resort of Animal Kingdom Villas, but we’d also like to see what some of the other resorts have to offer. I was able to switch from our home resort to Boardwalk Villas at the 7-month mark with no issues. We are sooo looking forward to being able to walk to both Hollywood Studios and Epcot from the resort, especially that “back entrance” into Epcot!

Oh yeah, I should mention that all 3 kids are going on the trip to Disney World. For the last trip, I wasn’t sure if that might be our last trip as just our nuclear family (yes, we glow), with college and summer jobs and everything that encroaches on kids’ time as they get older. Lauren and Marlene both have summer jobs, but were able to get their work schedules cleared for the trip.

I have ADRs at a lot of new-to-us restaurants this time around, namely:

Be Our Guest (lunch)

Sanaa Judy’s still holding a grudge from the long time it took us to get seated last time, but the kids convinced her to give it another try.

Sci-Fi Dine-In

Spice Road Table

Beaches & Cream

California Grill

Chefs de France

Via Napoli

Which means that @Captain_Oblivious is a full-fledged Glennbo-stalker, since he got them all right in my Guess My ADRs challenge! Good work Mark! @Steppesister just missed one (which naturally, is 88% -- you can just write it down before she even takes the test), and @afwdwfan and @KatMark each had a good showing with 4 right.

The kids had a good amount of input into the restaurant selections. We decided on them when we were driving across Pennsylvania over Thanksgiving. Judy drove while I read menus out loud to everyone. They wanted some more exotic/spicy options, which is how Sanaa and Spice Road Table made the cut. I know it’s kind of funny that we don’t have any Boardwalk restaurants on the list. The kids weren’t wow’d by the menu of the new place, Trattoria al Forno, and it sounded like it had a lot of pasta options, which means heavy on the gluten, so Judy wasn’t pulling for it either. Beaches & Cream was a late entry -- I was watching one of those Behind-the-Magic Disney subliminal infomercials a few weeks ago and a shot of a Kitchen Sink flashed on the screen for a second or two. Judy exclaimed, “what was that?!!” When I told her she said, “why aren’t we eating there?”, so I added it for lunchtime on our non-park day.

And lastly, the third part of our trip is none other than the lovely Disney’s Hilton Head Island Resort. To break up our drive home, and so that we’re not so sad when we leave Orlando, we’re going to stay there for 3 nights at the end of the trip. I finally got smart and put the relaxing beach portion of the trip at the end, rather than at the beginning like I did with Vero Beach a couple of years ago. I know that my kids decided that maybe they’re not “beach people” when we visited Vero, but I’m excited for them to experience Hilton Head. I think they’ll love it. I was originally only able to book two nights, but our third came through on a waitlist. I was so happy about that, since it will give us a couple of full days to unwind and ease back into the real world.

I think it’s amazing that over the next few weeks we’ll be spending 13 nights in hotels, and 12 of them are “paid for” through DVC. The only one I’ll have to lay out a credit card for is the one in Georgia as we’re driving down. Of course, I had to do a little banking and borrowing from last year and next year’s points, but still, this would have been a mighty expensive vacation otherwise. Undoable really. Gotta love my DVC.

In other news, my good camera, the Canon EOS Rebel XSi, went kaput the other day. Believe it or not, it occurred while Marlene was walking across the stage to receive her diploma. I put it on “burst” mode so that it would take a bunch of shots while she walked, and “burst” is exactly what it did. It’s kind of hard to describe, but it’s a mechanical issue -- a part is stuck behind the mirror, blocking the sensor, so every picture has a big blotch in front of it. I took it to a camera shop and as I suspected, considering its age, and the better features/performance of today’s cameras, it’s not worth it to get it fixed. So, in light of this big vacation coming up, I bought a new camera body -- a Canon EOS Rebel SL1. It has more features, more resolution, and is actually more compact and lighter than the old one. The old lenses work with it, so I could get away with only having to buy the camera body.

Well, that’s the extent of the pre-trip report. Phase 1 starts...let’s see, I had my itinerary around here somewhere...oh yeah..............tomorrow!

Follow our progress on Instagram -- glennbo123

Last edited:
Congrats on Marlene's graduation!

Sounds like a great trip you have lined up. Love the list of ADR's.

Jill in CO

Wow. Epic trip(s) coming up!

Congratulations to Marlene, enjoy the new camera and have a great time!!

First, loved finishing up your TR! Your last day was so nice and relaxing. Sorry the connections weren't what you'd hoped.

Second, NEW TR!!!! So excited for

My guesses, in no particular order:

WCC
Flying Fish
Kona Café
Chefs De france
Yak & Yehti
Mama Melrose
Sci Fi
Prime Time

Looking Forward to more!
ETA: ARRGH! Now that I hit "post" I see you had the answers-didn't peek, I promise!
ETA 2: Never mind I only got one right anyway :rotfl2:

Sounds like an awesome trip, Glenn. Congratulations to your daughter on her graduation.

Just stopped by to get a little caught up! Congrats to Marlene on graduation! Just went through that with Drew also........

BoG for lunch..........the best choice for sure!
Spice Road..........yum! Had a quickie lunch there when we weren't real hungry, but it was fantastic! Can't wait to go back.
Les Chefs de France..............well okay, as long as you don't mention food allergies to them when you order............ :rolleyes1
Via Napoli and B&C.........always great choices!!! Can't believe you need an ADR at B&C now..........:sad1:

Waiting to hear the dates. Passing through SC and staying at HHIR has some possibilities........... :thumbsup2

Yessss! I was wondering when the next Glennbo adventure would be! (Good to see you over on instagram!) Are you planning June-time again? Beaches & Cream is our new favorite lunch destination and we can't wait to go back to Via Napoli on our August trip.

Looking forward to more!

You play the Baritone?

well since you ready spilled the beans I'm late to the party, but I was going to agree with the Captain.

Thanks for sharing your trip and now I'll go back and read all the plans and not just the reveal.

Hi Glenn! I still need to catchup and finish this report, but I came across your info about the new trip. Sounds fabulous and can't wait to read all about it.

:thumbsup2

Guess My ADRs!

Sorry, I’ll have to come back for replies, but I had this idea and wanted to kick it off...

Before I post info. about our next trip, let’s make this interesting -- guess my ADR’s! Glennbo stalkers will have an advantage, but that’s a true statement for just about anything. :rolleyes: Anyway, here are some clues:

We have 8 ADRs over 5 days (not counting arrival and departure days).

None are on arrival or departure day.

5 are in parks; 3 are at resorts.

6 are new for us; 2 are places we’ve eaten before.

Both “return” places are only our second time eating there.

1 of the “return” places I thought it’d be a while before we’d be back.

In 1 theme park we have no ADRs.

2 parks have 1 ADR.

1 park has 3 ADRs.

A couple restaurants are known for some spice.

1 is included for my high-school graduating daughter who has a favorite country.

1 is more known for its desserts than its entrée’s.

1 is just beastly.

1 is stately.

1 never gets to the feature presentation.

1 could deliver, but doesn’t.

Those are enough clues to get you started, probably too much actually. Let’s hear your guesses!

Link to next chapter

Too late for this one but I see you have some great choices. At Spice Road we actually got a bit of extra food when I mentioned my allergies- not expected but a great gesture and we will be back.

covered in great minutiae add link.

I am guessing you meant to add the link later. Congrats to Marlene and I hope you are having a great trip.

Caught up on the departure day in Charleston- You got some great pictures of the city. I totally know the " you can't go home again" issue. My dad sent me google maps of the house I grew up and well they made so many changes - probably tore it down and started over that it is unrecognizable. :guilty:

First, loved finishing up your TR! Your last day was so nice and relaxing. Sorry the connections weren't what you'd hoped.

Thanks Tammie. It always helps with the relaxation factor to take an extra day in traveling!

Second, NEW TR!!!! So excited for

Good -- one subscriber ready.

My guesses, in no particular order:

WCC
Flying Fish
Kona Café
Chefs De france
Yak & Yehti
Mama Melrose
Sci Fi
Prime Time

Looking Forward to more!
ETA: ARRGH! Now that I hit "post" I see you had the answers-didn't peek, I promise!
ETA 2: Never mind I only got one right anyway :rotfl2:

Actually, you got two! Chefs de France and Sci-Fi. And I didn't suspect that you peeked...if you'd done that, you probably would've gotten more right! :rotfl2: Sorry I posted the answers so soon, but I needed to get that posted before we left for NYC.

Naturally. :rolleyes2 :lmao:

I couldn't believe it. I was thinking, "hmmm, 7/8's is right around 88%, isn't it?" I told Judy about that (with the backstory) and she thought it was pretty funny.

My thinking with the Keys at the end of ours. Well, that and my DH doesn't luuuuv the whole Disney gig.

Dumb me had to learn through past trip experience.

You have one humdinger of a good time planned out. I know you'll enjoy every moment. Well, don't enjoy them ALL or we won't have a TR worth reading, now. Will we?

Phase 1 went great!

Sounds like an awesome trip, Glenn. Congratulations to your daughter on her graduation.

Thanks Kathy! :goodvibes

Just stopped by to get a little caught up! Congrats to Marlene on graduation! Just went through that with Drew also........

Good to see you GoofyFan, as always. Thanks and congrats to you on Drew's accomplishments also. Future plans?

BoG for lunch..........the best choice for sure!

I haven't seen that place yet, except for in trip reports, so it was a must do for sure.

Spice Road..........yum! Had a quickie lunch there when we weren't real hungry, but it was fantastic! Can't wait to go back.

That selection was all the kids'. I might've gone for Le Cellier, but they liked the exotic-sounding menu. Glad that you and Pat both sound like you liked it.

Les Chefs de France..............well okay, as long as you don't mention food allergies to them when you order............ :rolleyes1

Wait, what? Did they mess up Pat's order? I don't remember that one. This selection is obviously Marlene's choice.

Via Napoli and B&C.........always great choices!!! Can't believe you need an ADR at B&C now..........:sad1:

I've wanted to try Via Napoli since that place went in. I know what you mean on B&C, and the ADRs weren't that easy to get either...probably because they were added later on, but still. I had to get 2 ADRs; I'm not sure that they even take them for larger parties because of the small table sizes. I have one for 2 people and one for 3, about 10 minutes apart but I'll ask what they can do to accommodate us all.

Waiting to hear the dates. Passing through SC and staying at HHIR has some possibilities........... :thumbsup2

We start driving Monday, hitting the parks starting Wednesday. Move on to Hilton Head the following Monday for 3 nights.

Yessss! I was wondering when the next Glennbo adventure would be! (Good to see you over on instagram!)

Yay, thanks for your exuberance Jenn!! Always good to see what you and Kevin are up to on Instagram as well! I didn't get to see your favorite musical on Broadway, Elphie, as Marlene's choice was Phantom of the Opera so I still haven't seen Wicked...but Phantom was really great.

Are you planning June-time again?

Yes, just posted some day-detail to GoofyFan in the reply before yours. We're kind of tied to the school vacation schedule, so it is what it is. I saw a few days ago that the weather forecast for Orlando was 99 when we'd be there, but it's now dropped down a few degrees, thank goodness!

Beaches & Cream is our new favorite lunch destination and we can't wait to go back to Via Napoli on our August trip.

Good to hear.

Looking forward to more!

Thanks.

You play the Baritone?

Yeah, I played in high school and now I play in church a few times a year when they pull in some other instruments...Easter, Christmastime, that kind of thing.

well since you ready spilled the beans I'm late to the party, but I was going to agree with the Captain.

Always good to stick with the Captain. He's not so oblivious when it comes to games like this.

Thanks for sharing your trip and now I'll go back and read all the plans and not just the reveal.

Thanks Alison.

Hi Glenn! I still need to catchup and finish this report, but I came across your info about the new trip. Sounds fabulous and can't wait to read all about it.

:thumbsup2

Thanks Dee. I know all about playing catchup...I have to do it even before the trip, so I can't imagine how far behind I'll be when I get back.

Too late for this one but I see you have some great choices. At Spice Road we actually got a bit of extra food when I mentioned my allergies- not expected but a great gesture and we will be back.

Oooo, that could be good! Glad you liked it. I think we'll enjoy that one too.

I am guessing you meant to add the link later.

:rotfl2: I said to myself when I put that there, that I'd forget! And I did. Thanks for catching it, I've edited now.

Congrats to Marlene and I hope you are having a great trip.

The NYC portion is already done and we had a great time!

Caught up on the departure day in Charleston- You got some great pictures of the city. I totally know the " you can't go home again" issue. My dad sent me google maps of the house I grew up and well they made so many changes - probably tore it down and started over that it is unrecognizable. :guilty:

Aw, that's a shame. You definitely want your childhood home to at least kind of look the same. Oh well, life goes on!

smiliezombi.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter