Keepin' it on the downlow(country) at HHI - New TR link - pg 31

glennbo123

DIS Veteran
25th wedding anniversaries are a time to celebrate, and that's what we planned to do. It's just that originally, the plans were a little bigger than what they turned out to be. But no less enjoyable...or meaningful.

Hi, I'm Glenn, and my lovely Anniversary co-celebrant is my young bride, Judy.

IMG_7818_zps74e120e0.jpg

The beautiful background behind us is the tidal marsh at Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, which will be heavily featured in this report.

I've written a few trip reports in the regular Trip Reports forum (links in my signature, if you're curious), but thought I'd put this one here in the DVC Trip Reports since it'll be Hilton Head focused. And besides, Hilton Head Island is a wonderful DVC destination and doesn't get nearly enough press. Or maybe that's the way you Hilton Head owners out there want it. Very sneaky, you guys, keeping this little gem...on the downlow.

Anyway, to get everyone caught up, this trip was a 25th wedding anniversary celebratory trip for just my wife and I, and was originally planned for Hawaii. We were going to do it up right -- stay at Aulani for about a week, maybe hit a couple of other Hawaiian islands while we were in the neighborhood, and even stop at Disneyland as we were passing through California. But then we were met with a rather large unexpected home expense last year, and with one kid currently in college and two more on the brink of collegedom, we decided to do the responsible thing and pare-down the trip a bit. Or maybe even a lot. We completely switched gears and decided on a visit to Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, which would be nearly "free" in our minds, at least as far as lodging was concerned since we had the DVC points to use. The only other expenses would be for gas to get there, meals, and any other excursions we went on. "The Hawaii of the East Coast" is how I began referring to Hilton Head, and I hoped that I could give it a chance even though I was still pining away for a trip to Hawaii. I had no idea how much it would grow on me while I was there. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Despite the fact that a Studio would do for just the two of us...I booked a 1-bedroom suite. This was for three reasons:
1) in case we relented and decided to bring the kids, we'd have the room for them,
b) we like to cook, and especially over a whole week we could really use a kitchen, (and a washer/dryer for that matter), and
iii) no studios were available at the 7-month mark, so that basically settled it right there.

Then as the trip neared, our youngest child had an opportunity for church camp the week we'd be gone so that also settled the "kids or no kids?" predicament. The parents-only trip was on, and in a big ol' 1-bedroom suite to boot!

Other Trip Report Titles Considered

A little housekeeping before I finish up this Introductory post. I have a trip reporting tradition to continue, which is to reveal all of the trip report titles that I considered during my little brainstorming session. This time around, they went like this:

The Hawaii of the East Coast - HHI (you should understand this one by now)
The lowdown on the lowcountry (cute, lotsa 'lows')
Shawty got low low lowcountry (all right, who let Flo Rida into my brainstorming session?)
Heading to Hilton Head (okay, we've left 'lows' and moved onto 'heads')
Glennbo heads to Hilton Head (a little self-promotion, but I'm too shy to use it)
We need to do this vacation again! (a sentiment reached part-way through the trip)
Zee most dangerous night, and other tales from HHI (you'll have to wait for an explanation of this one :scared:)
Walking on the beach and walking out of restaurants (explained later in the TR)
Songs of the South - HHI (Ooo, a play on a Disney movie title. This one had potential.)
But in the end, I went with the first one that popped into my mind, "Keepin’ it on the downlow(country) at HHI". I thought that it fit well with the parents-only, relaxing trip that this turned out to be.

Judy game

Lastly, for any past followers of my trip reports, sorry, but I am not planning on continuing "the Judy game" this time around. 'Course I can’t stop you from playing amongst yourselves. :rolleyes:

So anyway... settle back, pour yourself a big ol' glass of sweet tea, and we'll start our tale in just a bit.

I'll post chapter links right here, as they become available:
Cracker Barrelled Over (NOT), Bullies is the Bomb, and Room Pictures! - part 1
Cracker Barrelled Over (NOT), Bullies is the Bomb, and Room Pictures! - part 2
We don't get Naked at the Fresh Market
When the bubbles stop
Poppy's award
Kayak tour
Dodging the raindrops
Bike to the Beach House video - Take 1
The Outlets and the Big Dipper pool
Zee most dangerous night!
Dolphin cruise - part 1
Dolphin cruise - part 2
Some more beach time
I begin to see the signs - part 1
I begin to see the signs - part 2
I begin to see the signs - part 3
Road Trip! (to Savannah) - part 1
Road Trip! (to Savannah) - part 2
Bluffton Farmer's Market and more sunset pictures
Another beach day
Low Country Backyard
Pictures of pictures
We do the Charleston - part 1
We do the Charleston - part 2
Guess my ADRs
Our next adventure

Link to new TR -- Big Apple, Boardwalk, and Beach

Last edited:
Yay!!! for a new glennbo TR! Sorry its not WDW but its kind of close. My friends family goes to Hilton Head every year. I'm looking forward to your take on the area.

Am I first? Can't be!!!

One Judy!

Woo hoo! New trip report! I'm back on the DIS again after some time off, so I'm hoping to keep up this time. I do love reading your trip reports.

From the start of your report, it sounds like a lovely trip.

I am here and normally I would shout out 1 Judys, but since we are not playing... You should have just handed over the rules committee responsibilities to Marv, then he could not complain and we would get rid of the worst competition! ;)

But this is not about Judys but about what sounds like a wonderful trip! I can't wait to read more about it. Hilton Head sounds like a great destination and I hope to get there some time in the future!

I'm here Glenn...thanks for the bat signal. :goodvibes

Great intros and so happy that it ended up being an adults only trip. I can't wait to hear all about it.

Great intro and even better picture of the two of you.

Happy Anniversary and Congratulations!

Can't wait to read all about it.

:goodvibes

Sorry Glen I am here !!! Of course I didn't read the new rules as in you are not playing the Judy game. So as Marv or Bob as he is now known hasn't commented yet I rule that the 2nd person to name the Judy's wins , this will change on each sighting!! :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: Now I am going back to read and look at that delightful pix of you 2:goodvibes

Ok Im here. I have subbed. I'm shocked I even saw your message. And I will try to keep up but most likely will not. But I sure am going to try.:thumbsup2

WooHoo! New trip report!

Can't wait to read all about your journey into our (sort of) neck of the woods!

Hello! I've been mostly off the Dis, but I had to pop in, given the PM and all! Good to "see" you! :goodvibes

WooHoo totally in Glenn. And as always, looking forward to following along on your wacky (and I assume romantic) adventures.

WOW, one in college and 2 more on the brink. Where does the time go?

A little disappointed you didn't go with "Shawty got low low lowcountry". But that's just me. :upsidedow

Finally a big sincere CONGRATULATIONS on celebrating your 25th!!!!

Woo Hooooooooooo! Tried to sub from my phone earlier, but I couldn't. Here now and back to read. :cool1: Thanks for the bat signal!

Yay! A HHI DVC TR!!! (and an plethora of acronyms!) I went for the first time in Feb 2014 and was hooked on the place. Can't wait to revisit it through your TR. Congrats on the 25 years anniversary!

Other Trip Report Titles Considered

A little housekeeping before I finish up this Introductory post. I have a trip reporting tradition to continue, which is to reveal all of the trip report titles that I considered during my little brainstorming session. This time around, they went like this:

The Hawaii of the East Coast - HHI (you should understand this one by now)
The lowdown on the lowcountry (cute, lotsa 'lows')
Shawty got low low lowcountry (all right, who let Flo Rida into my brainstorming session?)
Heading to Hilton Head (okay, we've left 'lows' and moved onto 'heads')
Glennbo heads to Hilton Head (a little self-promotion, but I'm too shy to use it)
We need to do this vacation again! (a sentiment reached part-way through the trip)
Zee most dangerous night, and other tales from HHI (you'll have to wait for an explanation of this one :scared:)
Walking on the beach and walking out of restaurants (explained later in the TR)
Songs of the South - HHI (Ooo, a play on a Disney movie title. This one had potential.)
But in the end, I went with the first one that popped into my mind, "Keepin’ it on the downlow(country) at HHI". I thought that it fit well with the parents-only, relaxing trip that this turned out to be.

The ones in red have me :scared1:

Judy game

Lastly, for any past followers of my trip reports, sorry, but I am not planning on continuing "the Judy game" this time around. 'Course I can’t stop you from playing amongst yourselves. :rolleyes:

Aw shucks but I get it. :sad2: No more :bride: for me. :upsidedow

Collegedom????? Is that what it's called? We just paid those tuition bills for the fall. OUCH!

OK, What were you dates??????? I am trying to decide between HHI and VGC for next June (first week) versus September. I was leaning toward HHI, but if its just Denny and I then I want a studio. I just don't like spending points on the 1BR, as nice as they are. I rather take the whole family and do a 2BR. Now I'm worried if we go the HHI in June route! I need more details.

Cute picture of you guys! I am so excited for this TR. I gather that HHI won you heart, as it did mine. And Denny's - literally - because that's were he got his stent! :rolleyes1 :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter