• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just returned from 2 weeks in Disney - Observations

BabyHabs

Mouseketeer
We went from July 1-12, with 2 small kids (3 and 5), stayed off site and had 5 day passes. Here are my observations/experiences that may be helpful to some with small kids:

- It was hot. Very hot. We found the stroller very helpful in keeping the kids shaded. Don't forget to put the canopy down when parking the stroller to help keep out the sun.
- Misting fans were essential. Every day. Constant use. Kids loved them and we loved them too. Buy before you go because at the parks, they are crazy expensive (like $15) and bring extra batteries because little ones tend to leave them on when not using them and drains the batteries quickly.
- The most helpful thing for us was arriving at rope drop. Allowed us to beat crowds and ride our most-do attractions with little/no wait.
- Staying off site, we just didn't find it feasible to take an afternoon break. It would have taken too much time to find the car, drive back to hotel, load/unload kids, etc, and then still have the energy to go back to a park around supper. This just didn't happen. We found it much easier to stay until the parades and then go back to hotel for swim and early nights. We didn't get to see any fireworks, but we did see a bunch of parades that the kids loved, so we were ok with that.
- I didn't even look at my touring plans. I knew what I wanted to hit as soon as we got in the park and after that, we just did whatever we felt like. I found a touring plan too structured for us with some kids.
- Character dining was amazing. We did Tusker House and Hollywood and Vine and the kids loved it. The food was awesome, the characters were great. It was well worth the price.
- Don't expect to see the whole parks. We saw probably less then half of each of them. And we were ok with that. We didn't want to push the kids in the heat.
- Epcot was a total bust for us. No one enjoyed it. The rides need an updating. I didn't find this park good at all for small kids. We lasted half a day here and have really no good memories from it, other than meeting the characters
- We LOVED Animal Kingdom. It was a beautiful park! We could have walked around all day.
- My 3.5 year old didn't like ANY of the shows, besides the Disney Junior show at HS.
- Its tough to be a bug - I knew this was scary, but I have a couple of dare devils, so we tried it anyway. Scared my 3.5 to death, but the 5 year old liked it. At a certain point in the attraction, all you could hear were kids crying.
- My kids LOVED the parades. Definitely the highlight of their day.
- The new dumbo queue was awesome.

Overall, we had a great time. We found it very helpful to have swims for a couple hours every night and to bed early and up early in the parks. We took days off and stayed out of the heat, which helped a lot. Also, a day at Aquatica (or any water park), helped to rejunevate us all and stay cool for a day.
I read a lot on here about Disney not taking care of the park or CMs being unfriendly, but we didn't see any of that. Everyone was wonderful and helpful. The parks were clean and well kept. We were really impressed with the quality of service, food, the attractions. I can't wait to go back again when the kids are older. But it will not be in July. We felt going in the heat pretty much cut our days in half.

Very interesting! We are skipping Epcot on our next trip because DH and I don’t think it wouldn't really be that fun for our DD (who will be turning 5 during our trip).

Very interesting! We are skipping Epcot on our next trip because DH and I don’t think it wouldn't really be that fun for our DD (who will be turning 5 during our trip).

I loved Epcot when I was five and arguably there was much less to it in 1986. There is plenty to do at the Kidcott stops, lots to learn, the new Phineas and Ferb Agent P stuff, and plenty of fun rides, especially Imagination for kids. I'd say at the very least try and give it a half day look. You'll be surprised.

Epcot is easily our favorite park and we find it to be very kid friendly, maybe not as much for toddlers though. The 5 year old should have been able to enjoy a lot though, and as for the 2 year old, they don't seem to care one way or another - it's pretty, and there are characters ;)

We are still going to skip it - this won't be our last trip. And I think DD will enjoy Epcot more when she is a little older.

I'm another who loves Epcot and I remember when we took my niece and nephew...they had a blast and they were 5 & 6 at the time. They really enjoyed visiting all of the countries in World Showcase. I'm really surprised that you found it to be a "bust". There is just so much to do, but you really have to look beyond the rides to really enjoy it, I think.

My DSs are 6 and 4, headed for their 5th Disney trip next month. They started going at 3 and 11 months, and EPCOT is unquestionably their favorite park.....always has been. In fact, it's a two-day park for us. Definitely worth a try, even if you think it's more of an adult park. :thumbsup2

The summer is hot and humid. I think the humidity bothers us the most.

We always try to arrive at rope drop. We hate standing in lines.

I'm one of those weirdos that doesn't like Epcot. Our daughter likes it best, because she's very much into Japan and England. I think there needs to be more attractions in World Showcase. I'm not interested in travelogues, and I would rather visit the real countries. Future World needs to figure out what it is, because it's certainly not about the future. At least not anymore. It's more like Science World.

Hate to hear that you didn't like Epcot. It's been mine and my daughter's favorite since she was 5. There is a lot to do there, but you need to research it. The buildings don't really give you a clue what is inside. Maybe if you go again you will give it another try.

Glad you had a great time! And thank you so much for sharing your experiences.

Really looking forward to the new Dumbo queue.

:)

Plus, Epcot has a lot of great character experiences that don't seem to be as crowded as the ones at MK.

Great report! I also just returned and I have same feelings about July. did it before but this time it was jut too much. We were there for 10 days but went to parks only 6 days and not the whole day. Try May for your next trip, perfect weather and not crowded, much. We did first week of May few times, we loved it.

I'm OK with people not liking Epcot - it means fewer crowds for me in my favorite park! Animal Kingdom (which the OP loved) is my least favorite park. In fact, I've only been there twice, and hated both visits. But that's why WDW is so great - there's something for everyone!

Yes, July is hot. Very hot. Fry an egg on your forehead hot. That's why when I had a quick 3 night trip over July 4th, I didn't even go to the parks. I had a TPV room at CR to watch the fireworks, and just did a little resort hopping and enjoyed CR. It's just too hot to really enjoy the parks (even if, as a Floridian, I should be used to the heat). The best advice I can give anyone going in July or August is to drink as much water as you can stand, because you'll need it.

Staying off property can save a lot of money (or get you more for your money), but you do have to weigh the convenience factor of being able to take a break mid-day if you need it, or not. One thing you can do, if you are staying off property, is schedule your lunch at a nearby resort TS restaurant. You will be taking a break from the heat and crowds of the park without leaving property. Taking time to relax and recover while you dine just might give you the energy to return to the park later in the day.

It sounds like the OP made the best of things, and had a great time in spite of the hot weather. Glad you had a good trip!

I think Epcot you either love or don't. It's not my favorite, never has been. I remember visiting WDW as a child, and was so bored in Epcot. When I went back with my friends, we didn't bother to go there. Then when I went with my DH, we went and only stayed a half day. I plan on taking my kids to see if the experience is different (it's been 11 years since I have been to WDW), so we'll see. I just can't wait to be there no matter what, and to experience it now through my 3 boys's eyes!!

How was the food at Tusker House? Was there something for everyone even my picky eaters?

Excellent report! :thumbsup2 Good advice for the hot weather. A stroller really does come in handy, not only for transporting the little ones, but for hauling stuff around and not having to carry it!

Also agree about Epcot. We are only 1/2 day Epcot people (found this out after two years of going). Soarin', Test Track, The Seas area, and the Character Spot are just about all that interest us. We are also trying Sum of all Fears this year. Really looking forward to trying that.

We do have a tradition of hitting up Coral Reef for a great meal at the beginning of the stay (love their sustainable fish). :)

Dan

It's funny how Epcot struck such a chord for so many people!

We love Epcot, however. DH and I's favorite park, and my youngest DS (now 7) loves it almost as much as MK.

Not really into AK. I guess since we live near to Busch Gardens, I feel like I can get pretty much the same experience (not exactly, but you know) for much less $.

To each their own. :)

- Epcot was a total bust for us. No one enjoyed it. The rides need an updating. I didn't find this park good at all for small kids. We lasted half a day here and have really no good memories from it, other than meeting the characters

Very surprised about Epcot for you and your kids. Last summer, Epcot was my kids' (DD6 and DS3) favorite, far more so than Magic Kingdom. I haven't broken the news to them that Test Track will be closed when we go next month.:rolleyes1

Thanks for your report. Some good tips for me since we are going in January with a 3.5 yr old and a 5 year old.

How many MK days did you do? I'm debating between 2 and 3 so would like to know how much time you needed there.

Also, any favorite rides at any parks or any rides besides It's Tough to be a Bug to avoid? We aren't doing thrill rides yet but will try Big Thunder with the 5 yr old if we likes Barnstormer.

What did they like at HS?

We're all adults and we thought Epcot was really boring. World Showcase was pretty, don't get me wrong and there are tasty treats, but on the whole - yawn. Maybe it's because none of us are "shopping people"? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter