Just purchased a Rollator and need some advice on the do's and don'ts

disneygrandma

Mickey Fan
On my good days, I'm OK with some walking. However, standing long periods just kills my knees and I can't do that. Will I be allowed to take the Rollator thru the standby line at Soarin? (Used our Tier One FP+ for FEA.) What about other attraction lines?

I'm planning on using my Rollator to sit for parades, and would also like to for the Fireworks. If I need to stand during the fireworks show, I will. It will save me from atleast having to stand while waiting for the fireworks to start.

So how do you handle the do's and don'ts of attractions when using a Rollator?

Thanks for your help!

Your rollator will be allowed into any of the queues. You are welcome to sit on it when you need.

Enjoy your vacation!

Agree with lanejudy.
Rollators are handled the same as wheelchairs. All lines/attractions are wheelchair accessible, so you should have no issues. For attractions where access or boarding is different, the CMs will direct you

I was told numerous times that I couldn't sit in it on the bus. I never thought about doing it, but other people must since I had many drivers tell me.

You can sit in it during fireworks, shows without seats and while waiting in lines.

Just remember, don't sit in it on the bus. :duck:

I was told numerous times that I couldn't sit in it on the bus. I never thought about doing it, but other people must since I had many drivers tell me.

You can sit in it during fireworks, shows without seats and while waiting in lines.

Just remember, don't sit in it on the bus. :duck:
Yes.
Definitely not on the bus.

You may be told not to sit during fireworks, shows like the show in the castle court, etc because of concetns of people not seeing you

Yes.
Definitely not on the bus.

You may be told not to sit during fireworks, shows like the show in the castle court, etc because of concetns of people not seeing you
I generally try to find a place against a wall or something. But I've never had someone stop me from sitting during fireworks.

I use a scooter now, a rollator isn't enough anymore. So I always have a seat.

A rollator shouldn't be used for balance on a bus either - a bounce over a pot hole or bump could get the two stable legs up enough so that the wheeled legs roll. We've got a student who uses one, and it can be tricky on moving vehicles and elevators (especially rickety old school elevators).

A rollator shouldn't be used for balance on a bus either - a bounce over a pot hole or bump could get the two stable legs up enough so that the wheeled legs roll. We've got a student who uses one, and it can be tricky on moving vehicles and elevators (especially rickety old school elevators).
A rollator has 4 wheels, not two.

But yes, a walker shouldn't be use at all on a moving bus.

Just got home from using a rollator for the first time on the trip. Cast members will tell you what to do and where to go etc. I took it to boarding most rides and they always verified I was ok walking a certain distance without it. I folded it on busses. I usually waited at the wheelchair boarding area but often lifted it up in the front door (the driver always verified it was ok with me. ). I will say I had to stand once because at Carribean beach all MK busses were full when they got to our stop and we didn't have time to wait longer. No one offered to move for me. The driver told me there probably wouldn't be a bus with room for awhile (it was 1 1/2 hr before the Halloween party. I tried to stand holding it folded but couldn't balance. I finally opened it and moved it past the yellow line closer to the driver and locked the wheels so I could stay standing. I usually sat with it in handicap seats because it fit sideways between that seat and the seat next to t out of the way. Once I had to get up for a scooter. Obviously they don't view people with walkers as having a need for the seats or any seat.

As for shows I sat on it with no problems. It was perfect for parades and fireworks. I just tried to get back so I wasn't out in the middle of an area but people can easily see you are there. I also sat on it in front of Fantasmic. I felt bad because no one could sit directly behind me but I cannot sit without a back rest for any amount of time. I did sit on the regular seat at country bears and muppets etc.

If you have trouble with stairs and cannot lift your rollator are you allowed to stand in the alternate line to use the ramp?

If you have trouble with stairs and cannot lift your rollator are you allowed to stand in the alternate line to use the ramp?

If you need to avoid stairs, simply tell the CM as you enter the queue and you'll be directed accordingly. Usually that will mean you enter the main queue but then split off at some point; sometimes there's a ramp, sometimes an elevator, very occasionally another entrance entirely.

Enjoy your vacation!

I've never had a CM assume that I can lift my rollator, or even ask if I can. I've always been directed to the wheelchair entrance if there is one.

Luckily, at WDW there are few queues with stairs, and most of them are at MK, and those tend to have (but not all) a point where you are taken from the queue and put in another area.

Luckily, at WDW there are few queues with stairs, and most of them are at MK, and those tend to have (but not all) a point where you are taken from the queue and put in another area.

A couple years ago, going in the exit of Splash, being pushed by my friend who is a bad enough car driver let alone had never pushed a wheelchair and I'm easily twice her weight... that's one for the bloopers reel. :rotfl2:

In all seriousness and more on topic though, if you have someone with you is it as big of a deal to be sitting on your rollator for fireworks/parades and such? I'm getting my first one before my upcoming trip, and have only been able to do those things the past few in a rented wheelchair having staked out a spot hours in advance, but I was always solo. My mom's going to be with me now and can be a bit of interference/visual sign that I'm there.

I finally cracked and bought a rollator on my last trip. Biggest thing I noticed was how insistent on ignoring you some other guests could be. All the CMs were super helpful and many asked me if I would be ok walking a certain distance without it, if I could walk up steps, etc. One late night heading home from Epcot, we even had a bus driver ask a few folks if they'd be willing to move so I could sit.
The best thing I would recommend is some kind of visibility, otherwise its amazing. I got a little Mickey bike bell and it was a big hit on my last trips, all the CMs loved it! Im heading back up now with a new addition of little lights for visibility after dark, I found them in Targets $3 bin.

(Sorry if the image is too big, Im on my phone and not sure how to edit size)

Attachments

• 20160925_102456.jpg
    20160925_102456.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 25
I've never had someone tell me to not sit during the fireworks.

And thinking about it, I am much more visible when sitting with the rollator than I am when I am sitting on a scooter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter