Just Back From a Split Stay -- Grand Floridian and Polynesian -- My Thoughts on Both!

Hi. Just wanted to say I'm loving your report. I'm dying to stay at Poly, but I can't make myself spend the money. You are helping convince me!

Hi there! :goodvibes Glad you are enjoying the report!

I used to say the same thing - wanted to stay at the Poly, but didn't want to spend the money to stay there. But let me tell you - it is worth every penny!! ::yes::

Hi! Thank you for the wonderful trip report! I stayed at the poly 2 years ago and absolutely loved it! We are booked for a split stay at SOG /Poly this summer and I'm so excited! What scares me are the rumblings of construction at Poly. I am sadly thinking of switching to beach club. Have you heard anything about construction on the pool or GCH area? Thank you if you have any info!

Hi! Thank you for the wonderful trip report! I stayed at the poly 2 years ago and absolutely loved it! We are booked for a split stay at SOG /Poly this summer and I'm so excited! What scares me are the rumblings of construction at Poly. I am sadly thinking of switching to beach club. Have you heard anything about construction on the pool or GCH area? Thank you if you have any info!

Hi! :) Glad you are enjoying the report, hope it's helpful to you!

I have heard rumors about Poly construction/rehab as well. Not sure how much of it is true though. :confused3 I know they are giving the rooms a rehab, one building at a time. Which really shouldn't even be noticeable to the guests, since they will be closing each building as they work on it. But I have heard rumors of them closing the volcano pool and doing some rehab there as well was adding a hot tub. I'm thinking that will come as soon as they get the GF courtyard pool done, this spring. And then there are always the rumors out there that they are going to demolish the GCH and rebuild it to include DVC rooms....but who knows about that one! :faint:

Personally, I am going to stay away from the Poly in 2013 because I don't want to have to deal with any type of resort construction. Especially since I will be going in the summer and don't want to be without the pool! But hopefully sometime soon we will hear official word of what they are doing and when...

Thanks for the great reviews and pics! I could almost smell the GCH as I looked at your pictures. We will be there in August, I hope the volcano pool won't be closed then. Imagine only a quiet pool in Disney summer heat! Gawsh Mickey, that's not nice!

Joining in the discussion, I'm enjoying reading your trip report!

I have to say, the Alice in Wonderland water play area looks fun, but its definitely more suited for a value, not the GF! To me, the GF symbolizes elegance, not a loud splash area.

I don't remember ever seeing this before. Is it temporary while the other place is closed? Great report!
Not sure if this has been answered already, but Mizners is normally the bar/lounge (really for adults). While the regular QS is being refurbished, they've temporarily set up the QS location in Mizners.
It's a real shame, because Mizners was/will be a wonderful place to have a pre or post dinner cocktail with the jazz orchestra right outside the entrance. There is a very small bar area just inside Citrico's, but it's just not the same. I was surprised that of all the spaces in the GF to set up a QS location, they chose to temporarily close the only real lounge in the entire resort.

Thanks for the great reviews and pics! I could almost smell the GCH as I looked at your pictures. We will be there in August, I hope the volcano pool won't be closed then. Imagine only a quiet pool in Disney summer heat! Gawsh Mickey, that's not nice!

You're welcome! :)

I hope the volcano pool isn't closed for your stay!! :eek: That would be bad. But I would think they would try real hard to get it done before summer. That would only make sense!

Joining in the discussion, I'm enjoying reading your trip report!

I have to say, the Alice in Wonderland water play area looks fun, but its definitely more suited for a value, not the GF! To me, the GF symbolizes elegance, not a loud splash area.

Welcome! Glad you are enjoying the reviews! :goodvibes

I agree with you on the Alice on Wonderland water play area. ::yes::

Not sure if this has been answered already, but Mizners is normally the bar/lounge (really for adults). While the regular QS is being refurbished, they've temporarily set up the QS location in Mizners.
It's a real shame, because Mizners was/will be a wonderful place to have a pre or post dinner cocktail with the jazz orchestra right outside the entrance. There is a very small bar area just inside Citrico's, but it's just not the same. I was surprised that of all the spaces in the GF to set up a QS location, they chose to temporarily close the only real lounge in the entire resort.

I don't know if too many people are even using it. It was completely empty when we peeked in.

Pool pics! :goodvibes

The view from my lounge chair, looking at the lagoon ~

DisneyDecember20121147_zps3c5658c9.jpg

Looking at the pool ~

DisneyDecember20121148_zps3f56f8b7.jpg

DisneyDecember20121155_zps9d2356df.jpg

DisneyDecember20121157_zps56e5d96e.jpg

DisneyDecember20121159_zpsffe85b19.jpg

DisneyDecember20121158_zps4e5055bd.jpg

DisneyDecember20121162_zps1517280c.jpg

Love your pics of the Poly Shelly! Wish I was there right now!!!!

I'm sure your review is really helpful to someone who has never stayed there. :)
I also agree with a pp who said the Alice splash thing belongs in a value. It does kinda ruin the elegance of the GF.

Hi Shelly! I'm finally finding some post-Christmas DIS time & found your resort report! Sounds like you had a great trip... at least as far as the resorts go. Sorry about the lack of sleep at the GF though. Can't wait to read the full TR!!

Sad to hear about your step-mom. I hope she gets out of the hospital soon & recovers from the cancer quickly!! Sending my thoughts your way!

Love your pics of the Poly Shelly! Wish I was there right now!!!!

I'm sure your review is really helpful to someone who has never stayed there. :)
I also agree with a pp who said the Alice splash thing belongs in a value. It does kinda ruin the elegance of the GF.

Thanks!! Wish I was there too! :cloud9:

Yeah, it's really too bad about the changes at the GF. :(

Hi Shelly! I'm finally finding some post-Christmas DIS time & found your resort report! Sounds like you had a great trip... at least as far as the resorts go. Sorry about the lack of sleep at the GF though. Can't wait to read the full TR!!

Sad to hear about your step-mom. I hope she gets out of the hospital soon & recovers from the cancer quickly!! Sending my thoughts your way!

Hi Amy! Hope you had a nice Christmas. :santa:

Yes, we had a wonderful trip. I can't wait to tell all about it. Hoping to get the TR started very soon!

Thanks. It's not too likely that my step-mom is going to recover. It was found too late and is stage 4. :sad2: Right now we are praying for peace and comfort for her.

love your report!

I think you should have your own blog.

Quick question-- we are staying at Poly January 15-21. Would you recommend tokelau to avoid construction mess? We were debating between Tokelau and samoa.. are people staying on the quiet pool side of Samoa right now.. overlooking the ugly fence mess?

thanks!
Jen

First, great review with VERY helpful photos and updates. I've been staying at Poly for nearly 30 years, but this recent construction is throwing me off a bit. Really appreciate all the details - thank you!!!

love your report!

Quick question-- we are staying at Poly January 15-21. Would you recommend tokelau to avoid construction mess? We were debating between Tokelau and samoa.. are people staying on the quiet pool side of Samoa right now.. overlooking the ugly fence mess?

thanks!
Jen

Now that's really funny, because I just posted this exact same question on the Poly thread last night! (And I'm also from NoVa!) We're arriving at Poly on January 26 and we requested Samoa, volcano pool side, 3rd floor (I know, tall order.) But I was considering Tokelau as a backup. My husband currently has a strong preference for Samoa based on the location and volcano pool side view, but I'd appreciate any additional construction information/recommendations!

love your report!

thanks!
Jen

Thanks!! I hope to start a full trip report very soon, after I get the rest of my Poly pics posted here and get this wrapped up!

That's a good question...I can't really say if I saw anyone going into any of the rooms on the other side of the hall or not. I just asked DH and he is pretty sure he saw someone going into the room right across from us once. So those rooms must be open. And I actually think if you were on that side on the top floor it would be okay, because you could look out over that mess. I don't think I would want to be on the second floor, and I sure hope they aren't putting people in the first floor rooms there.

But yes, if you wanted to avoid it all together you could request Tokelau.

First, great review with VERY helpful photos and updates. I've been staying at Poly for nearly 30 years, but this recent construction is throwing me off a bit. Really appreciate all the details - thank you!!!

Thank you! :)

Now that's really funny, because I just posted this exact same question on the Poly thread last night! (And I'm also from NoVa!) We're arriving at Poly on January 26 and we requested Samoa, volcano pool side, 3rd floor (I know, tall order.) But I was considering Tokelau as a backup. My husband currently has a strong preference for Samoa based on the location and volcano pool side view, but I'd appreciate any additional construction information/recommendations!

Well hopefully my response to jenniferma helped you some. I'll have to head over to the Poly thread and see what response you got there!

Good luck to both of you, I hope you both get the room you want and have an awesome vacation!! pixiedust:

On our last day DS11 and I went on a little Poly tour! :goodvibes

First we walked out to the boat dock and then headed towards the GF.

DisneyDecember20121175_zpsd25ef218.jpg

DisneyDecember20121176_zpsc0b015bb.jpg

DisneyDecember20121177_zps03709963.jpg

DisneyDecember20121178_zps66666879.jpg

DisneyDecember20121179_zpsa15b44cb.jpg

DisneyDecember20121180_zps986c3e46.jpg

DisneyDecember20121181_zps8b689f2d.jpg

DisneyDecember20121182_zps6e1fad10.jpg

DisneyDecember20121183_zps00a42502.jpg

DisneyDecember20121184_zps6e2827de.jpg

DisneyDecember20121185_zps42b6c867.jpg

DisneyDecember20121186_zpsdec0dd34.jpg

DisneyDecember20121187_zps4dbad74f.jpg

DisneyDecember20121188_zps12a62ac2.jpg

There was a wedding going on at the GF wedding pavillion.

DisneyDecember20121189_zps68f9cf93.jpg

DisneyDecember20121190_zps8432846f.jpg

DisneyDecember20121191_zps0b3bf4b8.jpg

DisneyDecember20121192_zpsd1268ce2.jpg

DisneyDecember20121193_zps6f5a37a1.jpg

DisneyDecember20121194_zps81742f28.jpg

DisneyDecember20121197_zps813b3d86.jpg

DisneyDecember20121198_zps3dbab4a6.jpg

DisneyDecember20121199_zps48840d5c.jpg

DisneyDecember20121200_zps9b333f37.jpg

DisneyDecember20121206_zpsd57f758e.jpg

DisneyDecember20121208_zps9f569777.jpg

As we walked back towards the Poly we saw another wedding happening right there, right off the sidewalk!

DisneyDecember20121216_zps469799c6.jpg

DisneyDecember20121217_zpsc1515388.jpg

DisneyDecember20121218_zps9dc41008.jpg

DisneyDecember20121219_zpsb62104d1.jpg

Quiet pool ~

DisneyDecember20121223_zpsbd2dd584.jpg

Back of Hawaii ~

DisneyDecember20121224_zps80a55207.jpg

DisneyDecember20121225_zps89c35788.jpg

DisneyDecember20121226_zps6452e8a6.jpg

DisneyDecember20121227_zps70859cdc.jpg

DisneyDecember20121228_zpsb891cece.jpg

DisneyDecember20121229_zps8c12358f.jpg

DisneyDecember20121233_zpsf448acfe.jpg

DisneyDecember20121237_zps2546bad4.jpg

And last but not least, Ohana pics!

DisneyDecember20121257_zps7b9d49d3.jpg

DisneyDecember20121258_zpsa0ffe97e.jpg

DisneyDecember20121260_zps6f5092c2.jpg

DisneyDecember20121263_zps58b1ca0c.jpg

DisneyDecember20121264_zpse84162c9.jpg

DisneyDecember20121265_zps01f5b1e7.jpg

DisneyDecember20121267_zpsea1a81a4.jpg

DisneyDecember20121268_zps568c18f1.jpg

DisneyDecember20121270_zpsd2db8dec.jpg

DisneyDecember20121271_zps95c9b297.jpg

Okay, guess that's it! :goodvibes Hope you have all enjoyed. I will post a link here when I get my TR up!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter