Just Back From a Split Stay -- Grand Floridian and Polynesian -- My Thoughts on Both!

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by Momof2Disneyboys, Dec 21, 2012.

1. lala3291

lala3291 DIS Veteran

Well, Shelly, I finally made it over to your resort reviews!:cool1: I've been crazy getting ready for Christmas- and tonight we went to see Christmas lights!

Thank you for your GF review- GF has been nearly number one for us until we stayed there in November. The Poly in July spoiled us! I think it was all of the construction that made us not enjoy the GF as much as in the past. Trust me, we still love it, but I don't think we will be back until all of the construction is completed. It just put too much of a damper on the experience overall. It is still most definitely a gorgeous resort, and we can't wait to try it again once all of the construction is over with.

Can't wait for more pictures and for your thoughts on the Poly!

And congrats on your new ticker, Jodi!

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. johnsonet

johnsonet DIS Veteran

I'm enjoying your review and photos! I'm a longtime fan of both the GF and the Poly.

You've confirmed my fears that with the courtyard pool walled off (and no beach access :sad1:) , there will be a different atmosphere at the GF - but the pros are still worth the cons, for me.

Bus to DTD has always been the worst. On the bright side, GF is pretty convenient to the MK ;)

Looking fwd to more photos!

4. Momof2Disneyboys

Momof2Disneyboys DIS Veteran

So glad you are here Lauren! :)

I thought you might not have been too pleased with the GF last time, but you were too nice to say anything! Yeah, I would wait until all the construction is done before staying there again. And then you can head back and see what you think! :wizard:

More pics to come!

Thank you! :goodvibes

Yes, it's definitely a different feel there now. Just hoping that wonderful atmosphere that the GF used to be comes back!

I'm not sure what was worse this time - the trip to/from AK or DTD....The AK trip has stops at BB on the way there and the way back. Took forever. :faint: At least with DTD, TL was closed so no stop there this time! Both were ridiculously long trips with too many resorts/people crammed on the bus.

But yes, it is pretty convenient to MK! ::yes::

5. Momof2Disneyboys

Entrance ~

[​IMG]

Lobby ~

[​IMG]

Sugarloaf CL offerings (Twilight Refreshers 5-7) ~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Momof2Disneyboys

Our room (6315) ~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Momof2Disneyboys

Balcony and view at night ~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Welcome chocolate ~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Turndown service ~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Momof2Disneyboys

From the third floor by the elevators looking down at the lounge ~

[​IMG]

Video games, movies, and pin trading outside of the courtyard pool construction walls ~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lobby and Gingerbread House ~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Robbi

Robbi DIS Veteran

Love GF RPC and we only stay there if we can get it. Stayed Sugar Loaf once and did not enjoy it very much. The CMs at RPC were much nicer.
    Poly is our least favorite WDW resort.
    The nice thing about WDW is there are so many resorts and everyone can find their favorites.

10. johnsonet

johnsonet DIS Veteran

Heavenly :cloud9: Thank you so much!
    (and sorry about those looong bus rides :crowded:)

11. Momof2Disneyboys

We thought all the CM's at Sugarloaf were really nice. :goodvibes Just didn't care for the set up of things I guess. And we were spoiled by the awesome views from the Poly lounge!

Wow I don't think I have ever heard anyone say that the Poly is their least favorite before!! :upsidedow Sorry you didn't enjoy it.

You are right -- so many WDW resorts to choose from, certainly something for everyone! ::yes::

Glad you are enjoying the pics! :)

12. Momof2Disneyboys

Beach Pool and Alice in Wonderland water playset at night ~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the marina side of the Sugarloaf building looking up at our room. Ours is on the third floor, right in the center with the lights on. JoBird and family were in the room to the right of us.

[​IMG]

More pics at night ~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sugarloaf CL Offerings, Cordials and Desserts (8-10pm) ~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. a742246

a742246 And, and, and I caught a fish this big!

Enjoying your Trip report.

14. Momof2Disneyboys

Thank you! :goodvibes

15. Momof2Disneyboys

More lobby pics (from the second floor) ~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mizner's ~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the second floor balcony of the main building ~

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Second floor looking down at the Gingerbread House ~

[​IMG]

16. tinkerbellmagic

tinkerbellmagic don't hate me because I loved the castle cake

Ah, this was just what I needed to escape from the Christmas madness, Shelly's trip report. :) Welcome back!

I really enjoyed your GF pics. We stayed there last August and enjoyed it so much. I don't know what we would have done without Gasparilla, though, as it was open during our stay and we went there quite a few times. The kiddie pool area was still under construction at the time. I know we'll probably never get to stay at GF again ($$$), but I'll always have fond memories of it. :cloud9:

I also love the Poly very much. We stayed there 4x and it's one of our nostalgic favorites, especially at Christmas with all the Hawaiian Christmas carols. I know my grandson would love to stay there again.

Can't wait to hear more. :)
    Joanne

17. ronnmel

ronnmel DIS Veteran

I just wanted to say that I made it here and I'm enjoying looking at all the photos, even if I'll probably never stay at GF.

18. DebbieB

DebbieB DIS Veteran

I don't remember ever seeing this before. Is it temporary while the other place is closed? Great report!

19. ddluvsdisney

ddluvsdisney DIS Veteran

Great report Shelly! Seeing all the pix of the GF brings back such good memories. I had no idea they made a separate play area for the Alice splash thing. I thought it was put at the edge of the pool lol! Thank goodness that's not the case.
    I can't believe how much is built for the DVC. We haven't been over there since we stayed at the Poly in 2011.
    I thought the CL offerings were better there (Yum!) than the BC.

20. MizSassy

MizSassy Earning My Ears

I don't know how I existed without knowing about this website! Reading these reviews is SO amazingly helpful! Thank you for your detailed review! Anxiously waiting to here about the Polynesian since that is where my heart is set on staying next October!

21. mickeynut1

mickeynut1 DIS Veteran

Thanks for your review. We've stayed at both the GF and Poly and although we've had great stays at the GF, the Poly is still our favorite. Having stayed both SL and RPC, I love RPC but didn't care for SL. I don't like how the lounge is located right inside the lobby as you walk in and it was always very chaotic during our stay. I think SL is in a great location as it's located right next to the courtyard pool and is close to Gasparilla's and the main building, but if we stayed at the GF again and RPC wasn't available, I would opt for a GV room over SL again.