Just Back : Attack of the Flies!!!

Just got back and the flies were horrendous, especially in MK. We ate, and I use the term loosely, at Pecos Bill and had to throw most of our food away. There was no indoor seating, so we were seated outside. We adults lost most of our food since we were busy keeping the kids' food fly-free while they ate.

I am not exaggerating when I say they were covering the ground out there. It was a sea of black. I can't even begin to estimate how many there were. In addition to covering the ground, they were swarming everyone's food in mass. It was crazy.

We had spent 9 days a couple of weeks ago and noticed a small fly problem then. This past weekend, it was just over the top. The strangest part is that I don't recall ever noticing a single fly anywhere in WDW ever before in my life.

I don't know what is going on, but I sure hope they can get a grip on the problem. Flies make everything seem dumpy, even when it's not. In certain spots at MK, I just felt like I was at some trashy amusement park rather than Disney. Disney magic is supposed to keep flies and mosquitoes, and other annoyances of real life, far away.

I actually had to have the waiter get me another glass when we sat down for dinner at the Yachtsman Steakhouse(which is inside) on Saturday because it had a fly in it!

this weeks Limited Time Magic?

Are they re-doing The Fly and this is some massive marketing ploy?

Not gonna lie, I"m a little concerned about this...
I can handle weather, crowds, refurbs etc, but if they actually used manure and it's causing a problem I'm not going to be a happy camper.

I can't imagine paying $36 for Tusker House and and having to swap flies away.

Here's hoping they are gone by Fri

I can just see them sitting around saying "ok, what the HECK are we going to DO about this????!!!" I'm sure they realize that they are going to get complaints, if they haven't already. Most people are aware of insects, but most people also don't like insects landing on their food!!

I was wondering about this too, what in the world is going on? It was really bad at all 4 parks last week, and even inside the restaurants! I should not be chasing flies away at Via Napoli!!!

I'm getting very concerned about this. I feel for the people there now enduring this. If they don't get this figured out though it is going to be a long week for my daughter with anxiety and sensory challenges. We arrive May 31st and my excitement level has dropped considerably reading about this.

The flies were *everywhere* during our recent trip (when it wasn't raining). I found that the area near the Rose and Crown was particularly bad for several days.

We were there last week, and were wondering the same thing. They were REALLY bad at the fairies meet and greet!!

The manure theory does make sense, there were several times last week at the MK where it smelled like they might have just used some. It was really very upsetting that they were in many of the restaurants across all the parks.

Nasty! I cannot stand flies (currently on the search for one now, ugh). Can't even imagine trying to eat with all of those around.

Yea this manure theory sounds like it could be the reason behind it. I could see it being very cost effective, but if this is the outcome it is hardly worth it. I can see it not only hindered my trip but quite a few others. Hopefully this gets rectified soon

We also noticed it! I just assumed it was because it rained so much the week before and then got hot. They didn't seem as bad when we first got there and it was cooler, we noticed it most last Thurs. and then thru the weekend.

Well this is not good news. Our first ever trip is just two weeks away. I am from the south and can deal with some bugs, but this sounds much worse.

Any chance these are the cicadas that much of the east coast has been anticipating? I haven't been following that story much, but I do know they are supposed to be coming out soon (if not already) and they will be most prevalent on the east coast.

The manure theory is also very plausible.

Ugh...this thread has me really concerned. We arrive in six days and my kids will completely lose it if they are constantly surrounded by insects. We have a lot of TS meals booked and I will be very upset if we are bothered by flies inside the restaurants, as some of those meals are $$$!

this weeks Limited Time Magic?

Are they re-doing The Fly and this is some massive marketing ploy?

This made me :rotfl2:

But seriously, I'm sure the problem is being addressed. There is no possible way that they're unaware of it. Even though our biggest problem was trying to eat outdoors, they were inside everywhere also, just not as many.

As someone who was there two weeks ago and again this past weekend, I can say for sure the problem is progressive. I noticed it and mentioned the increase in flies two weeks ago, but they were spread out. Now they are in huge swarms. I was only at MK and Epcot this weekend so can't speak to swarms at other parks.

I am a life long camper and lived on a farm up north and can honestly say I've never seen flies so concentrated before. Something is luring them. The fertilizer story sounds plausible. I hope it is just that easy.

Any chance these are the cicadas that much of the east coast has been anticipating? I haven't been following that story much, but I do know they are supposed to be coming out soon (if not already) and they will be most prevalent on the east coast.

The manure theory is also very plausible.

No, Cicadas are much larger. These are tiny, well....flies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter