• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just Back : Attack of the Flies!!!

You would have thought Disney would have tested this new mulch in a few confined areas before spreading it everywhere.

I hope the head of landscaping gets fired on this one.

Flies bring disease. It's more than annoying to me.

Now, let's add injury to injury and Disney will be using harmful insecticide to get rid of the insects.

What a mess!

My gosh, you'd want some working man or woman to get fired over a fly problem that's hitting ALL of the area, not just WDW!? A poster in this thread theorized it was the new mulch, but that was shot down pretty darn quick.

I'm glad you're not running Disney's HR department.

queen-of-hearts-3.jpg

In the fall when I sat outside the flies would bite, they also bite the horses to the point of open wounds (which we of course took care of). they are called biting flies/stable flies for a reason. They are not horseflies. I lived in CT at the time and have been bothered by them here and there in FL.
They look like houseflies and frankly who looks at the fly to identify it when it is biting you?

Look up biting flies. This is what I found for them:http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig081

Stable Fly

The stable fly (Figure 3), also known as the dog fly, is a blood-sucking pest that closely resembles the house fly. It is similar to the house fly in size and color, but is easily recognized by its large, piercing mouthparts, which project forward from the head. Unlike many blood-feeding insects, such as mosquitoes, both sexes of the stable fly feed on blood.

The stable fly is a common pest of man and animals throughout the world. Stable flies are strong fliers that can travel up to two miles in search of a blood meal. Because they are persistent and easily interrupted during feeding, they often attack more than one host, increasing the potential for disease transmission. Although stable flies may be mechanical vectors of several animal diseases, they are not known to play a significant role in spreading human pathogens.

In Florida, cattle persistently attacked by stable flies feed less efficiently, resulting in reduced weight gain and milk production. In addition, losses to the Florida tourism industry have occurred when large stable fly populations appear on the Gulf Coast, driving away beach-goers.

After acquiring several blood meals over the course of three to five days, females will mate and develop a batch of eggs. At this time, the female stable fly will seek out areas such as soiled animal bedding, spilled animal feeds, compost piles, and even seaweed deposits along beaches to deposit her eggs. Once an area is located, the female will crawl into the loose material, laying eggs sporadically as she moves. Each female will live for 20 to 30 days as an adult, laying between 500 to 600 eggs during her lifetime. The eggs hatch in 24 to 48 hours, and the larvae develop for a period of 14 to 26 days. The average stable fly life cycle is 28 days and can vary from 22 to 58 days, depending on weather conditions.

Also this: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/PUBS/insect/05582.html
Stable Fly, "Biting House Fly"

The stable fly (Stomoxys calcitrans) is a blood-feeding pest known to attack almost any kind of warm-blooded animal. It is a major pest of confined livestock throughout the world, including Colorado. It looks like the common house fly except that its mouthparts are adapted for biting and sucking blood. The stable fly feeds by inserting its proboscis (beak) through the skin and then sucking blood from its host. Females can live up to a month and may require several blood meals during this period in order to continue laying eggs. It is a daytime feeder, with peak biting occurring during the early morning and late afternoon. Stable flies prefer to attack people around the ankles. It does not appear to be an important vector of any human diseases.

The immature stable fly (maggot) can be found breeding in many kinds of moist, decaying organic matter, including animal bedding, lawn clippings, and compost. The variety of breeding sites, and the fact that the adults fly several miles to feed but spend little time on the host, make it difficult to manage stable flies. Little can be done except to use repellents and protective clothing. Specific techniques have been developed for managing stable flies in confined livestock operations. These are especially important if the livestock operation is serving as a source of stable flies for nearby residential areas.

But if it's a stable fly, or a deer fly, or any other kind of "biting fly", it's NOT a house fly!

From the University of Rhode Island:

The mouth parts of the house fly are adapted for sponging up liquids. They cannot bite. Flies ingest only liquid food; they feed on solid food by regurgitating saliva onto it. The saliva liquefies the solid material, which is then sponged up with the proboscis.

If something that looks like a house fly bites you, then it's not a house fly. Period.

It's an easy (if painful) way to tell the difference!

And considering everyone's saying that these swarms of flies aren't biting, I think we can establish that they're not in the family of "biting flies".

From your own link: http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05502.html

To digest solid foods, house flies liquefy food by regurgitating it.

We also noticed it! I just assumed it was because it rained so much the week before and then got hot. They didn't seem as bad when we first got there and it was cooler, we noticed it most last Thurs. and then thru the weekend.

I thought the same thing about the rain and heat causing it when we were there earlier this month. We get a few biting before the afternoon rain, which was my early warning sign of rain.
They were even inside POFQ food court - took twice as long to eat as I needed to keep waiving my hand to keep them off my food.

I agree! We just got back(May 2013) and there were TONS of flies. No mosquitos though which was great.

Steph

We just got back and they were more prevalent than in the past.

This is pure speculation, and it is coming from a CM that we met and chatted with in line for a while, but he and his wife (both CM's) said that they heard it was because WDW had changed over to a more natural fertilizer recycled from AK.

Like I said, it was purely speculation, although we did notice a lot more pungency from the fertilizer even before this conversation.

Take it for what it is worth, afterall, my source was a CM, and they aren't any less susceptible to misinformation than anyone else.

We just got back and they were more prevalent than in the past.

This is pure speculation, and it is coming from a CM that we met and chatted with in line for a while, but he and his wife (both CM's) said that they heard it was because WDW had changed over to a more natural fertilizer recycled from AK.

Like I said, it was purely speculation, although we did notice a lot more pungency from the fertilizer even before this conversation.

Take it for what it is worth, afterall, my source was a CM, and they aren't any less susceptible to misinformation than anyone else.

Seems very unlikely considering locals in the area have commented (in this thread!) that they've had fly problems, too, and they aren't using Disney's new fertilizer.

I think it's just a theory someone came up with, which is making the rounds because it sounds plausible until you actually dig into it. ;)

Forgive me if I'm repeating something-I haven't completely read through the thread. We're here now and so far haven't noticed any flies or other bugs. We've been to HS, AK, and MK. This is just our second full day, but no problems as of yet. :)

I was there yesterday and was at DHS and AK. Didn't have any real issues. I had a few issues a few weeks back, but it was fine yesterday. Just a fly or two here and there, no "swarms" or anything.

One of the locals here that posted recently about the common housefly assault We've had some rain, I think this may have helped I still see one or two but nothing like originally reported Was at AK yesterday and the same thing saw one every now and then no big deal not hovering over food or landing on us So hopefully this is the end of it until the next onslaught...which would be mosquitoes maybe ?

I was worried about this after reading this thread! We were there Thurs - Sunday and had no fly issues at all. I saw a fly land on a woman's leg while waiting on line at Splash Mt and this thread came to mind. I had a moment when I feared a swarm or mothra-like giant fly attack... But... Only one fly.

I saw this thread before going to WDW late last week and Sat. I definitely did notice more flies than normal at both EPCOT and MK (esp around Adventureland). While noticeable, it wasn't too annoying and it didn't ruin our stay. :thumbsup2

Spent the weekend at WDW and the problem is solved. No more fly swarms or love bugs! No need to worry about it, they are both gone!!

Spent the weekend at WDW and the problem is solved. No more fly swarms or love bugs! No need to worry about it, they are both gone!!

Thank you so much for posting this update! We are leaving in just a few days and I have been following this thread and stressing a bit about the flies. My DD is seriously phobic about any and all flying insects. Yes, even flies :eek: So now I can relax (and find some other detail to stress about...):rotfl:

Fantastic news :cheer2:

So now I can relax (and find some other detail to stress about...):rotfl:

That shouldn't be to difficult with all the details on this board. Forty years of Disney trips and I still find new things to stress over. :crazy2:

That's funny how quickly they got it resolved. We were there May 11-19 and it was crazy (especially early on in the visit). In the Peter Pan line, all you saw were people constantly swatting or waving their hands. The CMs said Disney was aware and was spraying to try and alleviate the problem. We did not notice it as bad near the end of the trip. I guess it worked.

Great to hear... didn't realize my thread was going to go this long lol. Glad the problem is solved and everyone is enjoying themselves at the parks

We ate breakfast in The Land pavilion at Epcot on Monday and all we did was swat at flies. Lol!

:cheer2::woohoo:

Great to read on the day of my single digit dance!

Thank you to everyone who provided updates. I really appreciate it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter