July No Buy--Let the sizzlin' summer savings begin!!

I know, I know, but I generally only fly 1st class if I can get the bump for free. $100 was the change fee for swapping to the $1st class seat, which I know is crazy good and really is a free upgrade, almost, but mppphhh. . .$100 is 2 nights at an Airbnb or half a rental car fee to go hiking. . .

But a 7 hour flight is long. That is like flying from Chicago to London. If it was me, I would totally do it too.

Sooo. . .now the hard part. I will be travelling starting Saturday. 4 days in Little Rock on work/visiting family then 4 days in Bahstan and Acadia National Forest visiting BFF. . .Saturday will be a No Buy Day, as will Tuesday. I think I am just going to put "Vacation" up for the other days and not really track. How do ya'll generally do this when you're out and about?

If it is a vacation, I have budgeted out food and souvenir costs ahead of time. If I do go over my budgeted spending for the vacation, then I would count that towards a "spend" because it was not preplanned.

If it is a vacation, I have budgeted out food and souvenir costs ahead of time. If I do go over my budgeted spending for the vacation, then I would count that towards a "spend" because it was not preplanned.

That's a good idea. I will have to think it through. . .I am not a good vacation budgeter. What I generally do is just know how much I tend to spend on vacations. I pull money spent out of my vacation account to cover all the bills when I am through vacationing and adjust savings for the next vacation. It would be nice to spend a bit less though. I know I will want t-shirts from Acadia for me and for the husband. I'm going to put the kibosh on random cutesy things unless I can wear/use them right then and right there though - too much of that goes into the Goodwill or gifting pile eventually.

Last edited:
SnarlingCoyote woo hoo for the bump to first class!! Free bags, more comfortable, food!! Win - win - win!!!!!!

As for vacation, I say don't worry about it!!! Vacations are special events!!!

So excited!! Got the 7 in 1 Instant Pot on a flash deal for $69.99. I bought the 6 in 1 for $99 a few days ago, so I'm going to return that and get the better machine, cheaper!!!!

So is this a spend day, since I'm returning the more expensive pot lol?

Last edited:

SnarlingCoyote woo hoo for the bump to first class!! Free bangs, more comfortable, food!! Win - win - win!!!!!!

So excited!! Got the 7 in 1 Instant Pot on a flash deal for $69.99. I bought the 6 in 1 for $99 a few days ago, so I'm going to return that and get the better machine, cheaper!!!!

I think the return cancels out the spend!

SnarlingCoyote woo hoo for the bump to first class!! Free bangs, more comfortable, food!! Win - win - win!!!!!!

This is a negative spend day. :)

I am already calling today. It is too hot out to do anything. I am staying inside and will finish cleaning out the closet in the den.

7/1- $21.66 pizza and $25.60 Drugstore
7/2- $0
7/3- $0
7/4- $4.05 breakfast on the way to work and $34.66 Walmart
7/5- $0
7/6- $0
7/7- $10 co-pay, $3.94 drinks at McDonald's, and $210.56 Target
7/8- $0
7/9- $21 Giant eagle, $24.78 dollar tree, and $19.77 CVS
7/10- $0
7/11- $102.33 Giant eagle (food and cat stuff), $24.66 Walgreens, $36 prescriptions for mom (lasts 3 months) and $24.18 Ace hardware
7/12- $0

Ok! I am calling it. And given that it was Prime Day, I feel like I came out mostly unscathed. I bought a $50 Amazon gift card and will get a $10 account credit. This will pay for a planned expense for next month, so I view this as getting a discount on that future item. I also bought a bike lock and bike bag for DH, something we had been keeping our eye out for a good deal. And finally, I got a wifi plug so that we can use the Amazon Echo to turn our bedroom lights on and off without having to turn the switch. The switch on one of the lamps has already died and we have to fix it, so this will help keep it nice after we repair it. All in all, I think I did alright. Nothing outlandish or frivolous, I think.

How did everyone else do?

July
1- Spend - $17 on Culver's while driving to parent's house
2- No Spend #1
3- No Spend #2
4- No Spend #3
5- Spend - $13 on pens for DH
6- No Spend #4
7- No Spend #5
8- No Spend #6
9- No Spend #7
10- Spend - $19 on a $24 movie theatre gift card
11- No Spend #8
12- Spend - $50 on $60 Amazon gift card credit, $11.50 on bike lock, $20 on wifi plug, $13 on bike seat bag

8/20

JULY:

1- No buy #1!!
2- No buy #2!
3- Well not a no buy day. We went to Marshalls and I found a bathroom shelf, for above the toilet. I've been looking for one I like and score!!!! It was only $16.99. Went to dinner, but used a gift card, but got coffee, $6.53. (Which I never do, so it was a treat for us!!! )
4- I can call this one now, lol, were not going anywhere today and we have leftovers from yesterday, lol. No buy #3!!! I will report if this does change, but very doubtful!
5- Able to call this one early. Staying home! #4
6- No buy #5. Went to dinner and out with my daughter, but she bought dinner!! Yes, I'm spoiled. And it was fun to go to a nice/trendy restaurant that the boys would have hated, lol.
7- No buy #6
8- Well I took meat out of the freezer, but than I bought an instant pot, as our rice cooker died, (it was $10 7 years ago at a black Friday sale, as well as the crock of my crock pot getting broken in our move, so this one pressure, slow, rice, Brown's and sautees!
9- I am amazed! I went grocery shopping and got crickets, cricket food, ear cleaner for our Wolfie,, groceries and nothing else!!!! All necessities!! I love my grandmunchkins, but it was much easier to get a no buy day alone, lol. No buy #7!!
10- Yay, stayed home and enjoyed looking at instant pot recipes, so no buy #8!!
11- No buy #9! But the r especially two things I'm hoping to find discounted for Prime Day!!!!!
12- Bought my new IP, but returning the one to Wal Mart that was $30 more and wanted to buy a lot more things, but didn't. I won't claim a no buy, as I did spend money though.
13-
14-
15-
16-
17-
18-
19-
20-
21-
22-
23-
24-
25-
26-
27-
28-
29-
30-

My July goal is 20 no buy days.

1st - No buy day #1
2nd - No buy day #2
3rd - $4 parking at natural area, $22 waterproofing renewal for raincoats.
4th - No buy day #3
5th - No buy day #4
6th - $14 - Ebay for shorts (I didn't think I'd win - they're $45 shorts at Dicks, Academy and Bass Pro.)
7th - $22 - lunch for myself and two other ladies at work because I lost the fitness challenge this month. $20 - Goodwill (No comment. I fell off the wagon and feel no guilt.)
8th - $18 - Diet cinnamon rolls, $7 Egg Foo Yung for lunch
9th - $90 - perm
10th - No buy day #5 (Did not go hiking. Mowed my front and my back lawns with the rotary mower.)
11th -$28 - two pairs of shorts from Ebay. I was supposed to be looking for a new tank top to wear when exercising. (I shouldn't go on Ebay or Amazon without supervision.) $14 book on Acadia National Forest (where I will be weekend after next). Cutting myself off NOW.
11th Update - Prime Day. Grrrr. . . Found a 20% off Warehouse Deals coupon on Google soooo - $91 for some new fake diamond stud earrings (for travel - real ones stay home in the jewelry box), a new, good leather purse (old one is beginning to look crummy) and a solar charger for my phone. $100 - upgrade to 1st class on a 7 hour trip. (If that's not impractical, I don't know what is. I justified it to myself with no checked bag fees and free breakfast, lunch and drinks.)
12th - $50 Bose earbuds $23 - an extra Kindle, an older one but one with free 3G and a keyboard. $7 - leather case for new Kindle.
13th - Cancelled the Bose earbuds. <$50>. Sony earphones I really like, Ebay $9. Cheap underwear to ruin while hiking - $25

JULY:

1- No buy #1!!
2- No buy #2!
3- Well not a no buy day. We went to Marshalls and I found a bathroom shelf, for above the toilet. I've been looking for one I like and score!!!! It was only $16.99. Went to dinner, but used a gift card, but got coffee, $6.53. (Which I never do, so it was a treat for us!!! )
4- I can call this one now, lol, were not going anywhere today and we have leftovers from yesterday, lol. No buy #3!!! I will report if this does change, but very doubtful!
6- No buy #5. Went to dinner and out with my daughter, but she bought dinner!! Yes, I'm spoiled. And it was fun to go to a nice/trendy restaurant that the boys would have hated, lol.
7- No buy #6
8- Well I took meat out of the freezer, but than I bought an instant pot, as our rice cooker died, (it was $10 7 years ago at a black Friday sale, as well as the crock of my crock pot getting broken in our move, so this one pressure, slow, rice, Brown's and sautees!
9- I am amazed! I went grocery shopping and got crickets, cricket food, ear cleaner for our Wolfie,, groceries and nothing else!!!! All necessities!! I love my grandmunchkins, but it was much easier to get a no buy day alone, lol. No buy #7!!
11- No buy #9! But the r especially two things I'm hoping to find discounted for Prime Day!!!!!
12- Bought my new IP, but returning the one to Wal Mart that was $30 more and wanted to buy a lot more things, but didn't. I won't claim a no buy, as I did spend money though.
13- Yay, my instant pot came today, a day early!!!! Stayed home today so no buy #10!!
14-
15-
16-
17-
18-
19-
20-
21-
22-
23-
24-
25-
26-
27-
28-
29-
30-

I bought two of the Target Clean Care boxes today, but I am counting those towards our personal care budget. DH thought the items were so practical, he told me to buy the second one. So I am counting this as a no spend day.

July
2- No Spend #1
3- No Spend #2
4- No Spend #3
6- No Spend #4
7- No Spend #5
8- No Spend #6
9- No Spend #7
11- No Spend #8
12- Spend - $50 on $60 Amazon gift card credit, $11.50 on bike lock, $20 on wifi plug, $13 on bike seat bag
13 - No Spend #9

9/20

So far this month is going pretty well. I am excited because I was able to pay an extra chunk towards my bills. I am getting ahead instead of lagging behind!

July
1- No Spend
2- No Spend
3- No Spend
4- No Spend
5- Spend--ordered in pizza as my children were returned to me earlier than expected after they were on vacation this weekend $32
6- No buy
7- No buy
8- No buy
9- $3 coffee's while coupon shopping and chinese for dinner as I got home late and had a guest $40
10- Breakfast out with all the kids $24
11- No buy
12- Back to school shopping ($18 Dollar Tree, $82 Walmart, $50 Home Depot, $33 Aldi, $24 McDonalds)
13- No buy
14- No buy #10

1st - No buy day #1
2nd - No buy day #2
3rd - $4 parking at natural area, $22 waterproofing renewal for raincoats.
4th - No buy day #3
5th - No buy day #4
6th - $14 - Ebay for shorts (I didn't think I'd win - they're $45 shorts at Dicks, Academy and Bass Pro.)
7th - $22 - lunch for myself and two other ladies at work because I lost the fitness challenge this month. $20 - Goodwill (No comment. I fell off the wagon and feel no guilt.)
8th - $18 - Diet cinnamon rolls, $7 Egg Foo Yung for lunch
9th - $90 - perm
10th - No buy day #5 (Did not go hiking. Mowed my front and my back lawns with the rotary mower.)
11th -$28 - two pairs of shorts from Ebay. I was supposed to be looking for a new tank top to wear when exercising. (I shouldn't go on Ebay or Amazon without supervision.) $14 book on Acadia National Forest (where I will be weekend after next). Cutting myself off NOW.
11th Update - Prime Day. Grrrr. . . Found a 20% off Warehouse Deals coupon on Google soooo - $91 for some new fake diamond stud earrings (for travel - real ones stay home in the jewelry box), a new, good leather purse (old one is beginning to look crummy) and a solar charger for my phone. $100 - upgrade to 1st class on a 7 hour trip. (If that's not impractical, I don't know what is. I justified it to myself with no checked bag fees and free breakfast, lunch and drinks.)
12th - $50 Bose earbuds $23 - an extra Kindle, an older one but one with free 3G and a keyboard. $7 - leather case for new Kindle.
13th - Cancelled the Bose earbuds. <$50>. Sony earphones I really like, Ebay $9. Cheap underwear to ruin while hiking - $25
14th - $25 at Dollar Tree
15th - (Planned) No buy #6

4th- $50 parking fee & dinner
5th - no buy #1
6th - $23.72 care package for DH's trip (out of town until Sunday :()
7th - no buy #2
8th - no buy #3
9th - $25 2 dozen cookies
10th - no buy #4
11 - no buy #5
12 - no buy #6 (I only purchased household items on Prime Day. They were at such a good steal! I am counting this as a "no buy" day because the money is coming from the grocery/household budget)
13- no buy #7
14 - no buy #8

8/10

I've been insanely busy with work so with that distraction, it is becoming more difficult to spend money lol. Too busy during the day to shop online & too tired at night to go anywhere.

JULY:

1- No buy #1!!
2- No buy #2!
7- No buy #6
13- Yay, my instant pot came today, a day early!!!! Stayed home today so no buy #10!!
14- No buy #11 and I cooked a roast in my IP and it turned out wonderful!!!! Tomorrow and Saturday May not be no buy days, but I will be returning my more expensive IP to Wal Mart so will use that money on Friday. So that may actually turn out to be a no spend day, since I already counted that money!
15-
16-
17-
18-
19-
20-
21-
22-
23-
24-
25-
26-
27-
28-
29-
30-

Just work then hanging out at home with DH, so a no spend day.

July
2- No Spend #1
3- No Spend #2
4- No Spend #3
6- No Spend #4
7- No Spend #5
8- No Spend #6
9- No Spend #7
11- No Spend #8
13- No Spend #9
14- No Spend #10

10/20

July
1- No buy #1
2- Bought $25 gift card to Domino's for my daughter who is a poor grad student (studying fish:fish:)
3 - No buy #2
4 - No buy #3
5 - $8.55 for Taco Bell....first day teaching my summer classes.
6 - No buy #4
7 - No buy #5
8 - No buy #6
9 - No buy #7
10 - No buy #8
11 - $9.08 Baja Fresh - lunch with a good friend
12 - No buy #9 - checked out prime day but didn't find anything I wanted or needed
13 - No buy #10
14 - $17.49 - Amazon - new dress socks for my son

10/20

Yesterday was a no buy day. Went to work and came home. It helps I worked an open to close.

Today I worked and then went to target. Got wedding shower gifts for a friend and stocked up on tank tops for fall. I always were tanks under my shirts and my old ones are getting ratty, so I picked up some on sale. Plus I grabbed a few groceries and some sale summer items. Also bought dinner for my coworker and I

7/1- $21.66 pizza and $25.60 Drugstore
7/2- $0
7/3- $0
7/4- $4.05 breakfast on the way to work and $34.66 Walmart
7/5- $0
7/6- $0
7/7- $10 co-pay, $3.94 drinks at McDonald's, and $210.56 Target
7/8- $0
7/9- $21 Giant eagle, $24.78 dollar tree, and $19.77 CVS
7/10- $0
7/11- $102.33 Giant eagle (food and cat stuff), $24.66 Walgreens, $36 prescriptions for mom (lasts 3 months) and $24.18 Ace hardware
7/12- $0
7/13- $0
7/14- $13.45 pizza and $118.99 Target

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter