JANUARY 2016 Car (and Minivan) Rental Code/Rates Thread

When I went to the Dollar desk the clerk asked if I wanted to prepay for the gas. When I declined she said I would be expected to show proof of filling the tank within 10 miles of the airport, or I could prepay for the gas. I declined the prepay option. I felt as though she was a little pushy. ( I'm being kind here). By the time that part of the conversation was done there was no way I was going to prepay for my gas. Then she asked about if I wanted to get the toll device. After all... depending on where I was going they may have cashless tolls... I pretty much know my tolls back and forth to Disney would be $3.00 each way. I'm sure what she was offering would have come to quite a bit more than that. Oh and let's not forget the insurance sell. Because you need to understand if your auto insurance covers rentals it won't cover the deductible. I understand this is her job to discuss these things, but this particular clerk seemed insulted that I chose to decline. . I left with a cranky feeling which is not how I want to start my vacation. I have to say it only lasted a few minutes. We got our minivan and were on our way to Disney. Who could stay mad????

Regrettably, the protracted upsell is the norm whenever a customer visits the main service counter. That was what turned me off to Avis Preferred; I did join, but the first use of their club benefits requires a "quick counter visit to verify credentials." I was going to do it anyway during the brief time that Avis was offering the best rate for my trip. Fortunately, Alamo came back down to within a few dollars so I'll get to go straight-to-the-car again.

Re: The Dollar rental cars "multiple reservations issue">

A trip to SNA (orange County/John Wayne) and a trip to DizzyLAND resulted in the same issue in the past week or so.

Skipped counter, went to garage booth and woman told me I had a reservation for a compact. Well, I had had a reservation for a compact, but I had cancelled it and made a reservation for a full-size. I had the paperwork with me, but she insisted the latest reservation they had was for a compact. She was nice about it and we went back and forth -- nicely -- and she finally offered me a GREAT price on a Corolla that was cheaper than the compact reservation she insisted I had with Dollar. She also said she could do the full-size for the price I had noted.

But, the Corolla was fine and it was a great price. They must be having (or had, hopefully they have it fixed) woes with their software.

Follow up - got home on Tuesday but came down with a sinus infection during the trip so I have been down for the count. My Dollar reservation was for $210, I was charged $208 for a Chrysler Town & Country with 5K miles - beautiful, clean and easy to drive. The pick up was easy, I had the car ready (car seats installed before my husband had the luggage picked up). The only issue was on the return (they didn't ask for a gas receipt) but I was told to go to the garage kiosk for complete my rental because their handheld computers were down and the family in front of me had NO IDEA what they were doing - tried multiple credit cards, didn't like the GPS they were given, wanted to add another driver, etc. Finally the garage attendant came back over, checked us out (computer was back up) and then dropped up directly at the terminal for no charge (we tipped anyways). Very pleasant experience!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter