January 2013 Discounts

I am hoping for an AP code for early January. Hoping for the GF before school starts back princess:

we have decided that if free dining doesnt come it we will be going all inclusive in punta cana. :cool2:

Honestly, what I'm most upset about at this pt is the fact that discounts have been out for Europe for over a month now and when i asked CS about this very fact there response was "Europeans typically book earlier than Americans." WHAT!!! I almost feel discriminated against like i'm being punished for being an American.

Well the truth is that not only do they book earlier, they pretty much have to ..

Few reasons why :

1. Euros get much more vacation than North Americans on average.. roughly double.. they tend to plan those way in advance

2. And they would need to given the cost of Trans Atlantic flights etc. Remember - the cost of getting a family of four from Europe to Orlando can exceed the cost of a 5 night/ 6day package.

3. All of the above is why most Euros who come tend to stay longer (10-20 nights) and spend more on average per day while they are they.

Nobody likes to hear it but the European guests are highly valued for all these reasons which can be summarized as this :

Disney makes more money from them on a per person/per day average basis than most others.

Once upon a time that was Pacific Rim countries that held that honor. Now it's mainly Europe.

Honestly, what I'm most upset about at this pt is the fact that discounts have been out for Europe for over a month now and when i asked CS about this very fact there response was "Europeans typically book earlier than Americans." WHAT!!! I almost feel discriminated against like i'm being punished for being an American.

They've had the 2013 free dining offer more than 4 months at this point.

Does Disney not think that people in North America plan a vacation more than 2-3 months in advance? It's almost a penalty on those of us who carefully budget and plan! I want to know what I will pay for my vacation before "last minute discounts" may be announced and applied!

CanadianGuy said:
Well the truth is that not only do they book earlier, they pretty much have to ..

Few reasons why :

1. Euros get much more vacation than North Americans on average.. roughly double.. they tend to plan those way in advance

2. And they would need to given the cost of Trans Atlantic flights etc. Remember - the cost of getting a family of four from Europe to Orlando can exceed the cost of a 5 night/ 6day package.

3. All of the above is why most Euros who come tend to stay longer (10-20 nights) and spend more on average per day while they are they.

Nobody likes to hear it but the European guests are highly valued for all these reasons which can be summarized as this :

Disney makes more money from them on a per person/per day average basis than most others.

Once upon a time that was Pacific Rim countries that held that honor. Now it's mainly Europe.

I agree with the fact that they do have to plaited and get more vacation but....
Disney makes nothing off of there air fair and on a per day basis Disney does better on guests that stay a shorter amount of time....

mom of lil princess said:
I agree with the fact that they do have to plaited and get more vacation but....
Disney makes nothing off of there air fair and on a per day basis Disney does better on guests that stay a shorter amount of time....

Plan more, not plaited.... Auto correct on cell phone:)

In an interview in June, Bob Iger stated, "We worked really hard to wean the consumer of the discount, and it worked in the second quarter, where we had slightly improved — if you factor out Easter — attendance and occupancy rates and better pricing, which was really important," Iger said. "The goal remains the same for the third quarter."

The fact of the matter is that FD discounts are worth, to Disney, about half of what they are to you. That's their gross margin on food after subtracting the cost of the food and the labor. Room discounts are the same value to both you and Disney. FD has been VERY popular because it has the potential to save a family of 4 over $200 a day (deluxe room, DDP), versus a discount of 30% on the same room, which is about half of that. But, really, it's the same cost to Disney.

I don't see Disney ever not offering some kind of incentive, whether it's FD or room discount or ticket discount, but the offers will be honed to make them more profitable for Disney. If you remember, FD once included the gratuities. The DDP once included appetizers at lunch. They've cut back on what was included, and, at the same time, raised the retail price of food and the cost of the dining plans.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to go ahead and book for Jan 2-6 or to wait for a discount to come out. If rooms are booked are they less likely to offer the discount or do most of you book the room and then wait for the discount? Not sure what's the best plan??

Not sure anyone can really answer this question. I would theorize that the more rooms that are NOT booked, the greater the chance that a discount will be offered. The amount of the discount may be dependent on this as well. With that being said, if you are needing a specific room (family suite or connecting rooms, etc) then you may want to go ahead and book. If you are flexible on the room then i would advise to wait until mid-Nov or until discounts are announced, whichever comes first.

I called today and spoke to a CM who was really helpful. I told her my dates for January 2013 and asked her if she was aware of any potential upcoming discounts. She laughed really hard and paused for a long time and told me that yes in fact they would be appearing really soon. When I inquired about my specific dates (1/6 - 1/10) she said she thought I'd be happy. So....just passing it along.....:cool1:

I just gave up on waiting and called to make my reservation. The agent I spoke with told me in the middle of the call to look in two weeks for discounts and prior to hanging up, he reminded me again where to look on the web site and to check early next week or early the following week. I think they know something :-)

We are booked for Jan 30th - Feb 8th @ POFQ. I'm holding my breath for a discount. I really thought Monday would be the day. My TA assures me one will come soon. I finally just booked flights bc I got a deal I couldn't pass up. I dont care which promo (if there is one) at this point I will take any!!! Of FD would be ideal ;-)

Anyone else see this? I was on the site looking at prices at different resorts (might switch to a deluxe!!!), and this was at the top of the screen:

Customize Your Trip

Your Magic Your Way Package includes the selections listed below. You can change any selections and add flight and ground transportation. Or you can book this offer now.
Please be advised that we will be updating our systems to serve you better. During this enhancement, beginning on October 8 at 5 p.m. ET, online bookings and bookings through the Disney Reservation Center will be unavailable. We expect to return to full functionality by the afternoon of October 9. Please note that these dates and times are subject to change. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience.

Seems to fit the timeframe people have had hinted to them by CMs!! I'm cautiously hopeful!!

Ckmommy72 said:
Anyone else see this? I was on the site looking at prices at different resorts (might switch to a deluxe!!!), and this was at the top of the screen:

Customize Your Trip

Your Magic Your Way Package includes the selections listed below. You can change any selections and add flight and ground transportation. Or you can book this offer now.
Please be advised that we will be updating our systems to serve you better. During this enhancement, beginning on October 8 at 5 p.m. ET, online bookings and bookings through the Disney Reservation Center will be unavailable. We expect to return to full functionality by the afternoon of October 9. Please note that these dates and times are subject to change. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience.

Seems to fit the timeframe people have had hinted to them by CMs!! I'm cautiously hopeful!!

Disney has informed Travel agents that the reservation system will be undergoing updates. They do this periodical and is independent of any pricing changes/ special offers (which is easily done overnight and does not need the entire system to be down).
Sorry to be a downer, but these are unrelated.

We are booked for Jan 30th - Feb 8th @ POFQ. I'm holding my breath for a discount. I really thought Monday would be the day. My TA assures me one will come soon. I finally just booked flights bc I got a deal I couldn't pass up. I dont care which promo (if there is one) at this point I will take any!!! Of FD would be ideal ;-)

I just booked airfare as well! I feel like I could have waited for maybe better prices because I've heard if you are traveling during non-holiday season and off season that you should wait to book 6-8 weeks out. But I am too impatient appearantly! I felt like the price was pretty decent now and so I booked our flights. I wish I would have booked back in August when I first started thinking about the trip because tickets were less than $150! Oh well...

Disney has informed Travel agents that the reservation system will be undergoing updates. They do this periodical and is independent of any pricing changes/ special offers (which is easily done overnight and does not need the entire system to be down).
Sorry to be a downer, but these are unrelated.

I was thinking tonight that everyone is so gungho on October 10th..watch, it will be tomorrow and catch everyone off guard!!

DisneyFEB2013 said:
I was thinking tonight that everyone is so gungho on October 10th..watch, it will be tomorrow and catch everyone off guard!!

But at least we'd all be the first to know! ;)

I just got off the phone with a CM, and he said the disney visa discount starts today, and that the public discount starts the 10th. RO discount. There was no hinting or dragging it our of him, he offered it up like a hot cup of coffee in the morning. I am thankful for any discount, but was really hoping for FD.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter