January 2009. . . Calling all Snowbirds ~ Part V

Hey, I'll still be there on Friday! ;)

Awesome! Thanks for the number! It's our third marathon (me only as a spectator). The buses seem to run as long as DTD is open. Would probably be bad form to encourage your guests to spend money but leave them behind!

I tried to read this... but I think I'll wait until book 4 and then read them both straight through! I hate cliff hangers, and I assume that book 3 has them!

I did love Dewey, to my surprise. I borrowed it from the library and it was SUPER-cute. It helps that it takes place less than 2 hours from where my DH grew up so I recognized a lot of the town names and stuff. It was definitely a nice read. :)

:thumbsup2 Thought it was fun!!

No kidding!! We had freezing rain over night... our street was a little slick. We turned left from our street on to a main road (always a challenge in good weather) and... a few hundred feet down the road was a city bus that had been in an accident. Looks like someone slid into the bus - I feel so bad for the driver (and the passengers!) when that sort of thing happens.

And now they're talking snow all day Friday - our flight is at 9:30pm. :scared1: However, it sounds like annoyance level and no accumulation? Hopefully I can flee!! Last time we went in January, we got 6" of snow from the time we left the house to the time our flight took off (let me tell you: not a fun ride). But we left a few hours late and got to this GORGEOUS 80 degree sunny day in Orlando. We knew we'd made the right choice!

Two days!!

Wow!! Your trip is so close!!! I hope you guys have a great time!!! I'm really not going to truly start fretting about all I have to do until Monday!!! I have the weekend to really focus and get things packed LOL!!!!!!

I'm wishing all of my Northern Snowbirds safe traveling without much hassle!!!

SINGLE DIGIT DANCE
:dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3:
:cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:
:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

In 9 days I will be flying outta here and landing at MCO!!! exactly at this time

Ughh... it's nasty over here too! I can't stand freezing rain. The stairs, sidewalk, and road outside my house are a skating rink. I hear the main roads are decent but to get out of my area is the problem. Since I don't have four wheel drive or decent tires, i'm stuck at home for at least the next couple hours. I feel like such a weeny but I hate ice!

So, here I am, DISing until I can get to work. What a shame!:rotfl:

Good morning Snow Birds. No school here today as well. We have about 1/4" of ice buildup. It's supposed to turn to snow tonight (fingers crossed). So everyone that has to go out in this mess be safe.:)

For those concerned with the crowd levels, let me tell the folks that have not been down in January before: The crowd levels will be absolutely, positively, and undeniably LESS than regular or peak season. My guarantee (for what it's worth;)). It still may get quite busy with long wait times, but remember it could always be worse!:thumbsup2

We did discuss DTD hours last board. I think passporter's says 11pm on the shops. :cool1:

My Disney question for the day while I write up some notes for my cat-sitter and call my landlord is....
"If you could eat anywhere in the Magic Kingdom for CS, where would you eat?" My DF and I are going to MK for extra magic hours Sunday night and I need to know where I should use a CS credit :woohoo:

Can't believe I can say Sunday night and not put a date on it because it's THIS Sunday.

I am such a ditz I just realized you are at Pop the same time we are!!:banana:

Well like Shelly said...at least he has an extra day to read it!!! I can't say I was like that...I loved to read although I'm not sure I would even assign a book report for a book I didn't have and thought might be hard to find!!! Not good planning on the teacher's part!!

I'm confused what you mean by the "white background"??? You can see the image I want to post
Haunted Mansion DISsign

I would like to do the top one and put it on a black shirt...what would be your best recommendation Wendy!!! Feel free to PM this poor soul!!!!

Jen... for that design... which is great.... I would use the regular white transfer paper made for dark colors.... because the design itself is dark you will want a white border around it. Once you print out your design you will want to trim it ... because when you print it .... it will be 8 1/2 by 11... so I would trim about 1/2 inch all the way around the oval... that will give you a good contrast between the dark of the shirt and the dark of the design.... does that make sense.....??????

WOW.... I just realized that many of you are only like a week away from your trips....... I am so jealous!!!!!!!!!

Well I just wrote this really long post but then computer crashed.

In a nutshell what I said was....Today was perfect:thumbsup2

Weather fab again at 82 degrees...went to MK at rope drop and rode everything first thing (first to ride dumbo:banana: )

got haircuts for the girls and hubby (hubby even got green gel and pixie dust too) I'll post pics at a later time.

Crowds were great in the morning, then picked up later in the day.

It was a magical day,my eyes misted a few times, esp at rope drop and waiting in line to get into MK when my 2 year old was screaming singing "i know you I walked with you once upon a dream"...it was really something else:lovestruc

We plan to get to MGM at rope drop tomorrow too to help with the crowds...the cast members say that crowds are way up from what was anticipated..Oh well..we are enjoying ourselves.

yes...Wendy, my husband says I can rent him out.;)

Sweet dreams everyone.
So happy for you having a great day - I'm jealous!

Hi everyone, I just found these boards from a link on my friend's blog. Anyway, we are going to be at WDW from January 12-27th. We are staying off-site at my parents.

My mom is joining us on our trip and then my sister is also going to m. eet up with us on the 18th. I have 2 dd's 15 months and 3 at the end of January.

We are all packed and already on our way, well DD1 and I are. Dh and DD2 are meeting us in Vancouver on Sunday., then we fly from Seattle to Orlando.

I have managed to get most of the character dinning that we wanted and we will be spending 10 days in the parks.

So far we will be doing MK for 4 days, AK 1 day, Hollywood 2 days, Epcot 1 day. Any suggestions on what parks to do again?

This is our 3rd trip to WDW MK in the last 2 years, but we haven't done any of the other parks because of length of stays and our kids ages.
:welcome: I agree that you might want to do another Animal Kingdom day - it's a pretty big park, and sometimes you can't see the shows and all the animals in one day - especially when they have short hours in the winter. I wish I could be there that many days too!

WOW.... I just realized that many of you are only like a week away from your trips....... I am so jealous!!!!!!!!!

ME TOO!! Not too much longer for us though Wendy! I also appreciate your input on the t-shirts. I have plain and dark transfer paper and so far I've printed off two on the plain. They have white in the background of the picture, so I figure I'm putting it on white or pale pink shirts, it should look okay. So far we've only messed up on two pages! I hate to screw up and waste paper that costs over a dollar a page! Will try to do more tonight! Cross your fingers for me!

there are certain kinds of transfers for different colors.... some transfer are made just for dark fabrics.... if I am transferring to anything but white I use the transfers for dark colors.... the only thing with the dark color transfers is you always have the white background... the ones I used for your shirts Jen is a clear background.... it was the first time I found that... love it... don't even remember where I got it...:confused3

I found clear background ones at Target, I think they are Avery Brand. I used them on light blue T-shirts and they looked great. I think if you want a lot of color, you should use the white background ones, but if you're going to use lines and not fill it all in with color, then the clear ones are best.

I'll be working on mine this weekend - I'll post some photos next week!

good morning snowbirds! I have 4 days until our trip and I am still tryin to beat this cold! Anyone have any suggestions? HELP! I don't want to be sick at Disney

Jen... for that design... which is great.... I would use the regular white transfer paper made for dark colors.... because the design itself is dark you will want a white border around it. Once you print out your design you will want to trim it ... because when you print it .... it will be 8 1/2 by 11... so I would trim about 1/2 inch all the way around the oval... that will give you a good contrast between the dark of the shirt and the dark of the design.... does that make sense.....??????

YES!! This makes perfect sense and I thank you so much for your time!!! I'm going to be making my shirt on Saturday. This gives me 3 homemade shirts and then a couple I bought which should be plenty for me LOL!!!!! I'm going to have other things to wear also while I'm there and I'll be shopping LOL!!!!!!!

The same person who designed that also made me a really cute valentine design and she is making me a LGMH so I will be able to make some cute designs with that LOL!!!

good morning snowbirds! I have 4 days until our trip and I am still tryin to beat this cold! Anyone have any suggestions? HELP! I don't want to be sick at Disney

Lots of rest! I'm sure that will be easy!:rolleyes:
Have you tried zinc or zicam? They say it shortens the length of a cold - but I don't know if you have to start taking it at the beginning. Sometimes those dang colds just linger!! Maybe a nice warm climate will help!
Oh, I know what you need...
pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust:

I have been popping zicam like its my job! I also have been taking theraflu at night....drinking tea, and tryin to rest as much as I can, but I can't call off work before I go on vacation! thanks for the pixie dust! I don't want to be sick on vacation!

I have been popping zicam like its my job! I also have been taking theraflu at night....drinking tea, and tryin to rest as much as I can, but I can't call off work before I go on vacation! thanks for the pixie dust! I don't want to be sick on vacation!

Oh man, good luck!! Last year I had a cold before we left, and I brought every medicine known to man. We get there, and it's cool and rainy. Great. So I load up on the meds, and we only had one day at the park, so I'm going no matter how I feel. The next day we went to Miami and the day after got on the cruise. Cold was gone. Hopefully it will go quickly!

Up your water intake...make sure you are getting at least 7-8 hours of sleep (best thing for any illness is rest)...start taking lysine or zinc or both!! Lysine is an amino acid that helps to boost your immune system and helps with skin health (nice little perk there). I hope these ideas help!

Lysine is also great for canker sores!

Does anyone know what is the active ingredient in Airborne? I've been thinking about trying it before the trip. Anybody use it before?

thanks ladies for all of the great advice! i am hoping this clears up before sunday! I will however take a nice little medicine chest of my own with me to disney just in case!

I did love Dewey, to my surprise. I borrowed it from the library and it was SUPER-cute. It helps that it takes place less than 2 hours from where my DH grew up so I recognized a lot of the town names and stuff. It was definitely a nice read. :)
:thumbsup2 Thought it was fun!!!

Did you hear they are making a Dewey movie?? I saw a report on CBS Sunday Morning about it, and it was really a beautiful real-life story. I think it will be a wonderful, inspiring and really sweet movie :cutie:

Don't worry about leaving on your flight on Friday. They'll have the roads cleared by then - promise!!

One time we had to dig a path through foot high snow to get to our van to drive to Disney World - we did it and by the time we hit the main roads, everything was great. I'm sure the airport will be fine for you.

Detailed ten-day forecast

Today
Jan 07
Details Showers
Hi: 76° Lo: 48°
Day: Likely moderate rain showers with slight chance of thunder. High 76F, humidity 55%.
Night: Clear skies.

Tomorrow
Jan 08
Details Clear
Hi: 71° Lo: 49°
Day: Sunny skies. High 71F, humidity 30%.
Night: Clear skies. Low 49F.

Friday
Jan 09 Clear
Hi: 71° Lo: 50°
Sunny skies. High 71F and low 50F.

Saturday
Jan 10 Clear
Hi: 76° Lo: 53°
Sunny skies. High 76F and low 53F.

Sunday
Jan 11 Sprinkles
Hi: 70° Lo: 51°
Slight chance of light rain showers. High 70F and low 51F.

Monday
Jan 12 Mostly Cloudy
Hi: 72° Lo: 48°
Rain. High 72F and low 48F.

Tuesday
Jan 13 Fair
Hi: 60° Lo: 40°
Sunny skies. High 60F and low 40F.

Wednesday
Jan 14 Clear
Hi: 66° Lo: 49°
Sunny skies. High 66F and low 49F.

Thursday
Jan 15 Fair
Hi: 70° Lo: 48°
Partly cloudy skies. High 70F and low 48F.

Friday
Jan 16 Partly Cloudy
Hi: 68° Lo: 53°
Partly cloudy skies. High 68F and low 53F.

Weather Advisory: :scared1:

A LINE OF FAST-MOVING SHOWERS WILL REACH NORTHWEST SECTIONS OF LAKE AND VOLUSIA COUNTIES AROUND 10 AM AND CONTINUE EAST ACROSS AREAS NEAR AND NORTHWEST OF INTERSTATE 4 THROUGH MIDDAY. EXPECT BRIEF BUT VERY HEAVY DOWNPOURS AND STRONG WIND GUSTS TO 30 TO 40 MPH AS THE ACTIVITY PASSES. A FEW STRONGER CELLS COULD PRODUCE WIND GUSTS UP TO AROUND 50 MPH.

National Weather Service - Wednesday, January 07, 2009 4:26 AM Local Time
Lake Wind AdvisoryDE LAND... LEESBURG... ORLANDO...

SANFORD... MELBOURNE... PALM BAY... KISSIMMEE... ST CLOUD...

VERO BEACH... OKEECHOBEE... FORT PIERCE... HOBE SOUND...

DAYTONA BEACH... CLERMONT... TITUSVILLE 426 AM EST WED JAN 7 2009 ... LAKE WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 9 AM THIS MORNING TO 6 PM EST THIS AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MELBOURNE HAS ISSUED A LAKE WIND ADVISORY... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 9 AM THIS MORNING TO 6 PM EST THIS AFTERNOON.

SOUTHWEST WINDS WILL RAPIDLY INCREASE UP TO 15 TO 20 MPH AHEAD OF AN APPROACHING COLD FRONT THIS MORNING WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH AT TIMES. AS COLD FRONT PASSES WINDS WILL BECOME WESTERLY WITH GUSTS INCREASING AS HIGH AS 25 TO 30 MPH THIS AFTERNOON. BOATS SHOULD EXERCISE CAUTION ON AREA LAKES TODAY.

STRONG AND GUSTY WINDS WILL CREATE ROUGH AND HAZARDOUS BOATING CONDITIONS ON AREA LAKES AND THE INTRACOASTAL WATERS. THIS MAY RESULT IN HIGH WAVES WHICH MAY TIP OR SWAMP SMALL CRAFT

Wow!! Your trip is so close!!! I hope you guys have a great time!!! I'm really not going to truly start fretting about all I have to do until Monday!!! I have the weekend to really focus and get things packed LOL!!!!!!

I'm wishing all of my Northern Snowbirds safe traveling without much hassle!!!

I KNOW!!! It doesn't "help" that my mom, dad, and brother are also coming down for the weekend. I average an email from each of them a day about "Disney planning." Today, my brother asked for an update on eating plans!

Oh good luck and feel better soon! In February 2007, I went when sick and I mostly felt bad for my best friend who had to listen to me be sick! (And I did actually take off the day before work, but it was very apparent I was sick PLUS crazy nasty boss was crazy about Disney, so she understood without being nasty)

Did you hear they are making a Dewey movie?? I saw a report on CBS Sunday Morning about it, and it was really a beautiful real-life story. I think it will be a wonderful, inspiring and really sweet movie :cutie:

Don't worry about leaving on your flight on Friday. They'll have the roads cleared by then - promise!!

One time we had to dig a path through foot high snow to get to our van to drive to Disney World - we did it and by the time we hit the main roads, everything was great. I'm sure the airport will be fine for you.

Ah, this is SE Michigan, where every snowstorm is treated just like the first! Plowing? Salting? Sanding? What is this crazy thing you speak of! In 2005, we drove on untreated roads to the airport. It's getting to the airport that's most difficult. The airport does a better job of maintaining planes/runways than this part of the state does!

But we'll be fine, once we get there. I have a LOT of time built in to getting us to the airport. And it's NWA's last flight for the night, so they need that plane in Orlando. We'll get there when we get there! (plus, no one's talking any accumulations of snow, so we'll definitely be okay. I am, however, a big old worrier by nature!)

My parents signed up for the chEAR squad for the marathon on Sunday. They'll have finish line grandstand seats, private bathrooms, and hot beverages. I was too cheap, so I shall be roadside with group port-a-potties and whatever I take with me for food and drink! But it'll be a blast!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter