January 2009. . . Calling all Snowbirds ~ Part II !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OH MY WORD! :eek: 9 pages? My , my we are quite the chatty bunch today! :) Well, I can understand Jenjolt what with all that Dr. Pepper in her system, but the rest of you......tsk, tsk! ;)

Let's see, what have y'all been gabbing about today......scrapbooking, family photos, cinnamon buns, TV show season debuts, Star Wars, and hunting? :confused3

Well, incase anybody missed last nights announcement, I changed my O'Hana ADR to a different day so now we are cleared for Spectro! :cool1: Now I need to know ..... where is a good place to see the parade? My kids WILL NOT be in favor of sitting and waiting for more than 15 - 20 mins, half hour at the most. Anybody have any suggestions?

:banana: :banana: Free pass to be Hyper...I knew I loved you Kim!!!:banana: :banana:

Well for best seating maybe one of the adults in your party can stake out a spot, I think for Spectro, Fronteirland is good for seeing the parade (I THINK) and one of you who maybe enjoys people watching can go stake out a spot 45 minutes ahead and let the other adult take the kids around to ride more rides and meet up with you??? That's just one suggestion of course!

Glad I could help. I am such a geek about stuff like that we are always quoting SW lines to each other in my family.:3dglasses

My Husband always busts out "The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force" or "When I left you, I was but the learner. Now I am the master."(My Hubby wishes!;))

Ok I have a serious question that I would like some feedback on. DD9 wants to start posting & reading the teen site here at DIS. We let both kids go on line when we are in the room with them. They only go to Build A Bear, Webkinz, Nick jr , Disney & club penguin. They only play games there we have never let them chat or anything else. Would you let her go on that board? Not trying to be over protective( I don't need to try I AM) but I makes be nervous about the thought of her "talking" to people on line. So what do my fellow snowbirds think?

Okay, so I've been reading these posts for along time, just never chimed in (as you can tell by my LOW post count, I just don't post much - I learn from everyone else!:) ).

We are a snowbird family, too. It's me, my Hubby and son (who will be celebrating turning 6 at disney!). We are staying at a moderate for the first time (CBR) - we normally stay at Movies!

Here's what I came to share, as, after reading all of these posts, I know only you all will understand.......I just walked over to the mall and the have CLOSED THE DISNEY STORE!!!:scared1: I just couldn't believe it! It was there a month ago!! And now.....its a CALENDAR store! :sad1: I knew they were closing stores, but, you know how it is...you never think it'll happen to you!:)

Okay, that's done. Now that my depression is over, I can get back to reading everyone's posts and continue the excitement until our next trip to Disney!!! Thank you for allowing me to share.

:banana: :banana: First of all Welcome!! So glad you popped in to say hi!!!:banana: :banana: My name is Jen and I'm a huge fan of the dancing banana!!

I'm so sorry to hear about the travesty that was the closing of your Disney Store!!!:eek: I love that place and I totally would feel just like you if they closed the one near me!:sad1:

On a happier note, please post more with us!! We are a crazy bunch who love to party and just talk..and talk..and talk some more (oh wait, that just might be me LOL)

Ok I have a serious question that I would like some feedback on. DD9 wants to start posting & reading the teen site here at DIS. We let both kids go on line when we are in the room with them. They only go to Build A Bear, Webkinz, Nick jr , Disney & club penguin. They only play games there we have never let them chat or anything else. Would you let her go on that board? Not trying to be over protective( I don't need to try I AM) but I makes be nervous about the thought of her "talking" to people on line. So what do my fellow snowbirds think?

My son has an account... he started it when he was about 11..... I did sit with him and talk about rules though... like not giving info about where he lives, or that I am his mother :lmao: , just to ask questions and share his experiences with others.... no personal information.... he doesn't even use his real name....and I have access to it... he really only posts when we are going on trips... I just keep a pretty close look on what he is doing... even now at 15 we don't have computers in the bedrooms... rule here is the laptop has to be on in the open.... call me crazy... no don't.... I won't pass the test today...yikes....nine might be a little young... and alot of it depends on the maturity of the child... I would have never let my DD... she could not have "followed the rules" DS has done just fine.... again though we keep the computer in sight even now when they are older so we can see what they are doing... might be a little overprotective but I don't think you can ever be too careful

There is absolutely NO WAY I would ever let my 9 year old do that! I think we all need to be overprotective of our kids, especially online. You just never know!

Were those your kids by the computer in the pic on your website? They are so cute!!! It looks like your shop is a ton of fun. Very nice! :goodvibes

First of all I'm not a mom, but I have spent the last 10 years working with children from ages 5-18 so here's how I would handle this..if I were to decide to let her post...still something to really think about.

I would take a couple of days and review the content of the site first! Make sure that there are others on the DIS teens site that she could have conversations with, see if there are other peers her age posting?? It is meant for teens so I would definitely keep that in mind and since you obviously do this (and good for you two thumbs up LOL) just be around when she gets on the site. In the end, its your judgment call and if you ever get uncomfortable with you can always say no more posting!

Jen.... are you in another planning period......lol..... my kids would have loved to have you for a teacher.... they both love science.... DS wants to be an emergency room doctor.... might have something to do with the fact that he visits it often... too many snowboarding-skateboarding-basketball injuries.... gotta love teenage boys....

OK am I the only one who LOVES "ER"? I love this show and the last season starts tonight:sad2:

I like ER too, just like Grey's Anatomy better. I am curious to see how they end ER this year.

Good morning snowbirds!

Every day is one day closer to January!!! :cool1: I can't stop looking up WDW info online! I must be stopped!

Survivor starts tonight and I'm so glad! When Big Brother ended I thought I'd go into reality show withdraw! Bring on the Amazing Race too!!! Can't wait!

Have a great day!

Oh, I love Amazing Race too! :woohoo:

Okay, so I've been reading these posts for along time, just never chimed in (as you can tell by my LOW post count, I just don't post much - I learn from everyone else!:) ).

We are a snowbird family, too. It's me, my Hubby and son (who will be celebrating turning 6 at disney!). We are staying at a moderate for the first time (CBR) - we normally stay at Movies!

Here's what I came to share, as, after reading all of these posts, I know only you all will understand.......I just walked over to the mall and the have CLOSED THE DISNEY STORE!!!:scared1: I just couldn't believe it! It was there a month ago!! And now.....its a CALENDAR store! :sad1: I knew they were closing stores, but, you know how it is...you never think it'll happen to you!:)

Okay, that's done. Now that my depression is over, I can get back to reading everyone's posts and continue the excitement until our next trip to Disney!!! Thank you for allowing me to share.

WELCOME to the Snowbirds!! :goodvibes What are your dates? We will be at CBR too. Love it! :lovestruc

Sorry about your Disney Store. Most of ours closed up in our area. I think there is one left clear on the south side of Pittsburgh, we live 45 minutes north of the city. :sad2:

I don't think I'd let me 9 year old do it. But maybe that's just me. :confused3

I'm not sure if it would be appropriate at 9. I've checked out the teen boards (as I work with teenagers and try to keep up with that type of thing) and I think some of the material may be above a 9 year old level.

I didn't pay close enough attention to the poster who goes by the family rule of "laptop must be out in the open." I think that is a wonderful idea! Good for you!

Kids get tainted so easily these days. Even much more so than when I was a teenager 10 years ago. Cell phones & computers (myspace, facebook, ect) have brought this all into a whole new realm. Don't get me started..... this is my passion! :goodvibes

Well, Maggied, I hope you are not crazy!:rotfl2:

No, I wouldn't allow my 9 year old to be part of a message board like this one. Especially not the teen category. Things get said before a mod can check it and you've got some issues to deal with.

I'm waaaay overprotective with computer stuff. Too many wackos out there. Sad. :sad2: We have 2 laptops and the kids use Scot's since he pretty much has to be forced to check his e-mail. We have K-9 on both computers, but his is set to the highest setting of security. The kisd can only visit sites that would be allowed by that, and a message board would not. Neither is any kind of chat, etc. I am the only one with the password for both computers. Scot doesn't have any issues but doesn't even want the possibility of accidently stumbling on something. There is so much icky stuff out there.

Unfortunately, sometimes he has to call me to come to his computer. "Carrie, K9 blocked the Arabic Bible again!":lmao:

No, I wouldn't do it. Because then the child feels comfortable in a message board setting, and might be tempted to access it when you are not with him. I haven't decided yet when my kids will have more online freedoms, but it's not going to be any time soon.

Jen.... are you in another planning period......lol..... my kids would have loved to have you for a teacher.... they both love science.... DS wants to be an emergency room doctor.... might have something to do with the fact that he visits it often... too many snowboarding-skateboarding-basketball injuries.... gotta love teenage boys....

I posted this morning before school started then only during passing periods LOL today has been slow for me post wise cuz that pesky work gets in the way. ALL IN THE NAME OF SCIENCE!!

YUP YUP It's lunch time!!! WOOT!! We are doing water activities today...I'm so proud one group of my students fit 54 yes 54 drops of water on a penny..now that is Cohesion at work!!! (where is the nerd smilie..trixie you find it yet?? I desperately need one)

Three words for your son..Anatomy and Physiology if they offer it at his high school have him take it, he'll love it LOL

You have a husband who will read and post with you WOW!!

Half the time when I'm on here posting he is sitting with me asking me to write this or that. He’s as obsessed or more when it comes to Disney. It sure makes our trips to WDW easier when there are two of us planning.:)

He is a sophomore now... he skipped Earth Science and went right to Biology as a freshman... did extremely well (high 90's) and now is in Chemistry... he was quizzing his father and I on the elements the other night... I was surprised I remembered so many.... next after chem will be Physics and then AP Biololgy - he is in all honors classess so I am hoping the AP class shouldn't be to hard for him.....

DD is a freshman in college and is taking Bio as well... she loves it... she is a psychology major... wants to do clinical research with children....

Half the time when I'm on here posting he is sitting with me asking me to write this or that. He’s as obsessed or more when it comes to Disney. It sure makes our trips to WDW easier when there are two of us planning.:)

WOW!! I don't even begin to have words!! That is awesome!! Hello Kazooie's Hubby!! Hope you have a great trip to Disney and enjoy the planning!!

My husband looks over my shoulder and sees me typing and then shakes his head mumbles something along the lines of obsessed and why did we move to Florida again...I can't ever really understand all that he's saying LOL

BTW those of you who were mentioning weather. As a Florida native (well let's be honest lived here 3 years, winters are usually pretty mild and I live in the Panhandle so WDW is further south, but when it gets cold it can freeze so bring an assortment with you have pants, short shirts, and definitely a jacket!! (Trixie LOL, no you didn't miss the period, I know this is run-on and a terrible one at that, thank goodness you are helping me LOL)

Like I said I really can't decide she is 9 but has the maturity level of a 15 year old. She is very advanced especially vocabulary wise. My biggest fear is that she would be "counted" as a "big" kid.

Think I will probably let it ride & not let her do it. Right now she is really into webkinz & plays there with her brother when they have computer time.

Thanks Trixie yup that's them from a few years ago when we opened. I certainly hope people think its a fun shop. Kinda slow here today, but that wont last once the trees start to turn.

He is a sophomore now... he skipped Earth Science and went right to Biology as a freshman... did extremely well (high 90's) and now is in Chemistry... he was quizzing his father and I on the elements the other night... I was surprised I remembered so many.... next after chem will be Physics and then AP Biololgy - he is in all honors classess so I am hoping the AP class shouldn't be to hard for him.....

DD is a freshman in college and is taking Bio as well... she loves it... she is a psychology major... wants to do clinical research with children....

I teach a version of AP biology at my school although ours is considered Dual Enrollment. I teach a college based Biology for majors class at our high school. We are doing osmosis and enzymes right now in that class!

Physics is a blast, as long as he likes Math! However, if he is doing find in Chemisty he'll have no problems whatsoever in Physics!! I loved my Physics classes and even took 3 of them in college! (once again need a nerd smilie or even one with real glasses or something on it)

Hello allow me to introduce myself..my name is Jen and I suffer from a rare disease called Disney OCD...you ask about binders..well let me give you the basics...

1) Must be at least a 2 inch binder or you'll need to purchase two
2)Rainbow or pastel color page seperators are a must (Its a Disney Binder it has to look Pretty)
3)I break my binder into categories
~Trip information (Itinerary, reservation for hotel, rental car, maps, budget and such) I also have hotel information like phone number and taxi cab numbers and such!
~Magic Kingdom Info (This includes my plan for tackling the park along with a map of the park and dossiers (sp?) of particular rides I like with Hidden Mickey comments highlighted) (I kid you not people LOL)

~EPCOT info (contains the same as above)

~Disney Studios Info (contains the same above)

~Animal Kingdom Info (contains the same above)

I have a huge binder that I need to replace with a bigger one which is why my husband's Office Depot gift card has "mysteriously" disappeared...and why I might be shopping there after school tonight!

Yippee! :yay: This is what I was looking for - thanks for sharing!
And have fun shopping with the gift card- oops I mean "No dear i haven't seen your OD gift card anywhere:confused3 !

OK kinda on the same note - Is anybody planning on making their own itinary book?? I have working on a little book to take on our trip. It has all our ADR's, reservation #'s, tips, menus, WDW triva, and games for my son to play while waiting (tic-tac-toe) and more. I was planning on taking it to Staples and getting it bound.

Is anybody else doing something like this or am I the only crazy WDW planner here? :woohoo:

If so any other suggestions to add??

Nope not crazy! I was thinking of making a little book or something for my kids to keep them busy for the 2 day drive- perhaps binding some coloring pages and games and such together.

Oh the horror! How dare they! :mad:

How did you like movies all the times you've stayed there? That's where we're staying in Jan. :3dglasses

Like I said I really can't decide she is 9 but has the maturity level of a 15 year old. She is very advanced especially vocabulary wise. My biggest fear is that she would be "counted" as a "big" kid.

Think I will probably let it ride & not let her do it. Right now she is really into webkinz & plays there with her brother when they have computer time.

Thanks Trixie yup that's them from a few years ago when we opened. I certainly hope people think its a fun shop. Kinda slow here today, but that wont last once the trees start to turn.

Do you let her go to the Clubhouse at Webkinz? You know the one where they can chat with other kids? I just approved that on DS9's account for him. It is very safe and it won't even let you type in names, numbers, and certain words.

Northern Disney Girl- I believe our girls are around the same ages, mine are 4 and 7. So I was wondering what u plan on taking into the parks for them. I had one in diapers last time so I needed a backpack. Thsi time I would rather go without one.

Amanda

I have absolutely no experience with having children in the parks! However, I know for myself, I DO NOT want to be carrying a bag all day long! :upsidedow

Right now, I am leaning toward having a bag with "stuff" ( warmer clothes in case of cooler temps, sunscreen, etc) and leaving it in a locker in case we need it!
Most of our days are only part days broken up with a rest. My girls are good meal eaters and not huge snackers. As long as they have water to drink and a washroom somewhere nearby they are able to go for a good couple of hours! We are a fairly active family, so my girls are used to walking quite a ways! Of course should anybody decide they are tired and/or grumpy or just plain not having fun I am willing to say "okay, let's do something different" and either go back to the resort, DTD or just a ride on the monorail! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter