JAMBO! The UN-official AKL Thread ~ UPDATED(short film/pg 8 & slideshow/pg 12)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were on Zebra Trail first (Rm 5421). It was the last room to the right before the 'breakoff' to the next section of rooms. If you went just past our room and looked to the left, you could sorta see Arusha Rock, but if you looked out the window to the right, you would see the whole pool area. I agree, it is lovely at night, all lit up! However, I quite enjoyed the peaceful solitude of sitting on our balcony trying to make out an animal or two in the darkness!

I have seen people refering to the WL as a little nicer than AKL. I have visited both but never stayed at either. Personally I thought they seemed perfectly equal (personally i like AKL a little more but like I said I never stayed overnight) I was wondering what it is that makes WL nicer than AKL???

We have already booked AKL for august..but i was just wondering!! :goodvibes

pixie08 said:
I have seen people refering to the WL as a little nicer than AKL. I have visited both but never stayed at either. Personally I thought they seemed perfectly equal (personally i like AKL a little more but like I said I never stayed overnight) I was wondering what it is that makes WL nicer than AKL???

We have already booked AKL for august..but i was just wondering!! :goodvibes

....if you scroll halfway down page 4 of this thread, you'll see my 'comparison' post! :teeth: Also, I think work is almost underway for a refurb of the WL lobby. Personally, as much as I lOVE the WL, that particular resort is older than AKL, and the rooms are beginning to show their age!

kimmar067 said:
....if you scroll halfway down page 4 of this thread, you'll see my 'comparison' post! :teeth: Also, I think work is almost underway for a refurb of the WL lobby. Personally, as much as I lOVE the WL, that particular resort is older than AKL, and the rooms are beginning to show their age!

:guilty: I'm sad to hear that. WL is our favorite resort. Hopefully the refurb will transform it back to it's original shape.

Thanx kimmar067!!!! You have answered ALL of my questions...to me it seems as if it would really come down to a matter of personal preference in terms of theming. We are totally excited to be going to AKL and I hope I get to also try WL soon too!!!

PS- sorry I missed pg 4...so many replies to read!!!! You have really done a great job! :goodvibes

Yes I think WL is getting a refurb as a friend of mine's dh just was hired to help with it so that is good... Your comparison was great!! Guess I will be calling back today to see if AKL still has rooms left and switch 4 of my POFQ nights over to there!! :cool1:

Having recently returned from AKL, and having a return trip to WL planned for next month, I have to say that I am equally in love with both resorts. For me it is a matter of mood, if that makes any sense. While both are beautiful, and both seem peacefully detached from the hustle and bustle of WDW, you get different feelings from both. The most obvious mood-setters are the music (is it only my imagination or is the WL music louder and the AKL music subtler?). The water features/animals also set the mood in a big way. I suppose that is what great theming does! I don't seem to be describing this very well, but both are wonderful in that they anchor you in the place you are at and wipe your cares away!

musicmom3 said:
Having recently returned from AKL, and having a return trip to WL planned for next month, I have to say that I am equally in love with both resorts. For me it is a matter of mood, if that makes any sense. While both are beautiful, and both seem peacefully detached from the hustle and bustle of WDW, you get different feelings from both. The most obvious mood-setters are the music (is it only my imagination or is the WL music louder and the AKL music subtler?). The water features/animals also set the mood in a big way. I suppose that is what great theming does! I don't seem to be describing this very well, but both are wonderful in that they anchor you in the place you are at and wipe your cares away!

...well said! :teeth: Yes, I agree that the AKL background music is definitely subtler, not that the WL lobby music is blaring 'in yer face'!! Also, it seems 'louder' in the WL lobby because of WCC, which adds to its charm....

As for the refurb, I think that the idea is to put back the "luster" of the original WL; they're not changing anything!

Thanks, Kimmar067! Due in part to your pictures, we are now staying at AKL! I just booked a savanah room with the ap rate just released today! Can't wait to see the hotel! :flower:

Glad to help! I am waiting for more paper to come [in the mail] from Sony, so I can print up some more pix and scan them onto the DIS! I think I have also convinced my DSis, AspiringCindy, to stay overnight just before her Disney cruise in Nov!

FYI, I just booked a pool view for early December and got a AAA rate of $212 a night, the rate for a standard room was just $182.00. If general codes come out for that time of year it will be an added bonus. I am so excited to go! We are staying at ASMo for the first three nights so I think AKL sounds like a really relaxing way to end our trip! :flower:

I just changed 4 of my nights at POFQ to AKL Savannah view for my trip that is just a month away :cool1: :cool1: :cool1: So 6 nights at POFQ and 4 at AKL and I'm a happy camper!!!

Hi,

New to this thread. DS and I are going to AKL in 12/06. We're so excited already we just can't wait. I know it's a long wait but reading all these threads keeps the magic alive. :wizard:

.....it's OFFICIAL! We were at a retirement dinner last night, talking to friends who were also guests of WL, and my DH stated that AKL is now his ABSOLUTE FAVE resort at WDW!!

Kimmar I was waiting to hear your review of FW Cabins. Well, after reading this thread I'm now thinking of AKL for our Dec trip! Are all of the "deluxe rooms" concierge? The idea of having an extra couch sounds nice, but we don't necessarily need concierge. ...on the other hand if we have to have concierge we might have to "suffer" :teeth: with it!

kimmar067 said:
I answered your question on the other AKL thread....

Thanks, Kimmar067. You rock! Hey, I just read your "don't want to be an american idiot" marque. Apparently, you really do rock. If memory serves me, that's the lyrics to a Green Day song. Rock on! :cool1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter