JAMBO! The UN-official AKL Thread ~ UPDATED(short film/pg 8 & slideshow/pg 12)

Status
Not open for further replies.
....you can 'win' an African bead, to make a necklace. There is story-telling by the fire pit at Arusha Rock, the children can decorate cookies at Boma at 1PM every day, there is a "treasure hunt" activity around the pool area in the afternoon, and other things, which you can find out when you check in. Unfortunately, we spent so much time at the parks, we really didn't get to enjoy all the amenities at AKL, as we would have liked. Oh well, there's always NEXT TIME..... :teeth: ![also: on the far side of the pool is a playground area. Besides, your kids will be entralled by all the animals, you may not have time to 'do' all the activities!]

There is also flamingo feeding and floor-medallion rubbings and a horticultural session, and of course there is the hidden Mickey hunt. The activity board has lots of things posted. We were at AKL for six full days (excluding the two travel days). We did parks for five days, but on each day took at least a four-hour break back at the hotel to swim or do whatever. Of course the parks were open outrageously late, being President's week (MK was open to 3:00 AM one night with the extra evening hours), so the four-hour break was needed. By the time our resort day rolled around, I was sorry that I hadn't planned two resort days. AKL is such an awesome place! You will have a wonderful time!

How late does the Jiko stay open? We are going in july, and that is where we are staying.

I was at AKL last week also!! We had no problems at all. It was goregus and I think we woke up to Giraffes every morning. :) We ate at Boma's Monday night. It was amazing!! I loved the desserts. My family had a really nice room, it had a queen size bed and a bunk bed for me and my sister to share. We requested it when we checked in because my sister was sick. ;)

Kirsten

...bunk beds in both our rooms [actually, it was a Deluxe room, because they had a couch in them!]

I'm trying to post some pix of the AKL, but I am having trouble....mebbe I'll try asking the tecchies how to do it!

We will be staying in a Savannah view room at AKL from March 17th to 20th. We have never stayed here before, so I am not sure what to expect. We will be flying in around 11:30am and I realize we can't get into our room at that time, but hopefully we can check in. If I want a room fairly close to the food court, bus stop, ect., is there a particular area I want to ask for? In reading these boards, it sounds like AKL is not real spread out, which is great! Thanks for your help!! :)

We were on Kudu Trail room 4325 facing the Arusha savannah. It was pretty far out there on the horseshoe shape, but it really didn't bother us, as the hallway and atriums that you pass through have art and displays and windows from which to see the animals. We were able to check out Sunset savannah (ostriches!) every time we traveled to our room, as well as Arusha. So if you find yourself in one of the far rooms, you might not mind. On the other hand, you might want to call and have your request added to your reservation and then note it again when you check in.

Thanks Musicmom3!! I think we will be ok. My DD's are 8 and 11, so they can definitely handle the walk. I have gotten so many great ideas from these boards. Thanks again! :flower:

....musicmom3 said! :teeth: Yes, I agree, the resort itself isn't as spread out as, say CBR, which is REALLY HUGE! Our first room was 5421, which was 5 rooms off the lobby [to the right]. Our 2nd room was further down on the Kudu Trail (Rm 5381). Although it had awesome views and was quite comfortable, it was all the way at the end of the hall, tiring after a long day in the parks!

The walk can't be as bad as the one we had at AS-Music 7 years ago. Our room that trip was as far away as you could possibly get from everything! With a 4 year old, that was NOT good. I lost 5 lbs. on that trip! I love to walk, but not that much! Do you think I should call AKL and request a certain section? My thought is that someone with small children should be closer and we could be a little far away. At least we have a decent room reserved on the Wonder! :sunny: Praying for good weather in 2 weeks!!

musicmom3 said:
I highly recommend the culinary tour, which takes place at 4:00 on weekdays and 3:45 on weekends. It was mostly adults (and my two teens), and we got to hear all sorts of interesting info about African and Indian foods, and we also got to taste-test at Jiko and Boma. My 16-year-old daughter made friends with one of the chefs at Boma (she has dietary preferences that she happened to mention), and when we arrived for our PS that night, she happened to see him. What happened next was absolutely magical. He brought to our table a wok-style plate heaped with incredible food. He sat with us at the table, and then hustled back into the kitchen, only to return a few minutes later with fried oreos for all of us! I have come to the conclusion that there is no magic better than totally spontaneous, unexpected magic. Needless to say, we will be returning to Boma, not only for the wonderful food, but for the spirit of the chefs who work there.

Hi,

Do you have to be staying at AKL to take the culinary tour?

When we took the culinary tour, we were not asked if we were resort guests. All the activities hosted by AKL are on a bulletin board to the left of the registration area.

...post somes pix...here goes....

Photo #1:
a view of Jiko [glass windows to left] as you first walk out of AKL
Photo #2:
pool area with AKL in background
(more below...)

AKL.jpg

We are planning a trip w/ 2 year old twins (yikes)! and thought the AKL would be entertaining for them on days we may not make it to a park, could you give any insight to staying there w/ 2 toddlers? as far as what area/room we should request (want Savannah view - a great one :) - but also in an area we don't have a long walk to get to...and also if you recommend this resort over others for 2 year olds..thanks so much for any help !!!!

Had to hunt you down to find out about your trip. Sounds like a great time, love your photo's more please.

Beckie

well, here's some more...

AKL2.jpg

Photo #1:
AKL concierge lounge

Photo #2:
My DH and DS at the concierge lounge railing

Just beautiful!

The pool water looks green. Is it really green? I don't know if I'd want to swim in green water.....

Thanks for the pictures. I love them. And as a fellow WL lover, I have to say I am intrigued. I might have to talk DH into staying there sometime. I think he might be easier to talk into it than my DD3. :earsgirl:
Can't wait to read more about your trip. :wizard:
Debbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter