JAMBO! The UN-official AKL Thread ~ UPDATED(short film/pg 8 & slideshow/pg 12)

Status
Not open for further replies.
musicmom3 said:
When we took the culinary tour, we were not asked if we were resort guests. All the activities hosted by AKL are on a bulletin board to the left of the registration area.

Is there anyplace online where I can check out what these activities are? I'm considering the AKL as a down day between legs of a trip and don't want to do the parks but want to keep the kids busy.

Kimberle said:
Just beautiful!

The pool water looks green. Is it really green? I don't know if I'd want to swim in green water.....
...crystal clear. It just looks green!

Kimberle said:
Just beautiful!

The pool water looks green. Is it really green? I don't know if I'd want to swim in green water.....
The pool is painted a more muted color so as to "replicate" the animal's watering hole. It is suppose to look alittle "muddy".

Hey Kimmar!!

I am so glad to see you had a good time at the AKL. I would really like to try it after our Nov. trip. Our friends stayed there while we stayed at WL. I was really impressed with it. Jiko on the other hand...NOT! I loved the whole feel of the resort.

Thank you for mentioning the buses, DH will be happy to hear that!

...more pix to enjoy!
Photo #1: picture-post card of Epcot!
Photo #2: My DH and DS walking under Spaceship Earth Photo #3: Entrance to MK
Photo #4: My DS and Dale in Tomorrowland
AKL5.jpg

AKL3.jpg

I got a couple good shots of the AKL from last week- most are just from our room though. :)

IMG_0772_0009.jpg

Giraffes from our Room 3560 I believe...;)

IMG_1111_0347.jpg

Another Giraffe

and thats All I got on my camera- just mainly the giraffes and cute little piggy things. I have no idea what little savahanna we were looking out onto- i honestly didn't care. The point that I was at disney was more important. :D

Kirsten

...that looks like the Sunset Savannah!Amazin how different ours views were! (I was on the 5th floor - gotta post those pix soon!)

Great pictures! AKL is just as breath-taking as WL. I'm secretly hoping for good codes to come out that will allow us to switch our POFQ ressies to AKL!
Darn you, codes! Come out, already!

I miss home! Great pictures, both of you! The first picture of the pool area took me right back to our vacations! Great shot!

Kimmar,
I know you are a WL lover. That is our favorite resort too. Can you compare AKL? Were the rooms the same? Was the lobby as beautiful as WL?

deluxe room, so it was just a bit larger, since it had a couch in it [that opened up into a bed - didn't use it, tho'!] Let's see is I can make a fair comparison:

1) lobby - both lobbies are awesome. With AKL, it seemed a bit more 'intimate' because: a) the different seating areas were more 'cozy'. What I mean by that is, the backs of the chairs/couches/seats were taller, so the sitting areas were more 'private', whereas, the WL furniture is more sparse and 'open', and, b) the WCC is the same level as the WL lobby, but Boma is actually 2 floors lower[you can view it from above when you go to the right side of the lobby. Tha brings another point to mind [about the ambiance]: there are so many exotic smells emanating from Boma - it is simply WONDERFUL!

2) pool - I felt that that the AKL pool is a little bit larger than WL, but the premise of the WL pool is that it begins at the brook in the lobby. The AKL pool is more 'spread out' to resmble a 'watering hole' as found in a savannah.

3) transportation - while many guests feel 'isolated' from the rest of WDW, I rather welcomed it! Although I certainly enjoyed the boat rides to/from MK at WL, there is no other mode of transportation except bus service [at AKL] However, with the exception of one incident, I found the buses to be prompt and abundant. The only negative thing I can say about WL buses, was the bus to DTD - it was HORRIBLE!! I also didn't care for the fact that WL buses are shared with Ft W.

4) service - we experienced nothing less than OUSTANDING service at both locations.

5) activities - one drawback to AKL is the absence of a lake, so the absence of water activities (which are PLENTIFUL at WL). To me the presence of animals more than made up for it!

What beautiful pics! The guys are pretty cute too :teeth: We will be at AKL for the last two nights of our trip and I am so excited! My girls don't know that we aren't staying the entire trip at the Pop.

Thanks for sharing :banana:

I am thinking of staying one night at AKL before heading the BCV. Is it not enough time to enjoy the resort?

Also are the things like the culinary tour free?

Where can I find details on the Sunrise Safari?

Thanks

edjbiologist said:
I am thinking of staying one night at AKL before heading the BCV. Is it not enough time to enjoy the resort?

Definitely NOT!!!
edjbiologist said:
Also are the things like the culinary tour free?
Yes, most, if not all, of the activities are free!

edjbiologist said:
Where can I find details on the Sunrise Safari?
Thanks

The Sunrise Safari is held on Tues and Sat mornings, but I believe it is being changed to Sun and Thurs mornings. You may only sign up if you are staying at AKL concierge and the cost is about $47.00/person, but SOOOO worth it! (you get a buffet breakfast at Tusker House afterwards)

We're planning another trip in September. Have been to WL before to eat but never stayed there. I'm torn between WL and AKL. I've never been to AKL at all, but honestly, the restaurants don't appeal to me - we're all very boring eaters. :) But, which resort do you think we would enjoy the most? We plan to spend ALOT of time at the resort on this trip. The kids never really get to enjoy the pools like they want to, and I want to do more of the non-park activities that Disney offers. We will visit MK one day, so I'm leaning towards WL just for that aspect. The kids (ages 8 and 4) would enjoy the animals, but I don't think it would excite them for too long. The proximity to the water really appeals to DH and I as we love boating. So, I'm leaning towards WL. I guess my main question is really about the pool. Which one do you think my kids would enjoy - yes, I mean - which one has the cooler slide? :)

I would LOVE to look at your photo album, but as posted above, I was denied access without a password - Please post as many pix of AKL as you are willing to. I am celebrating my 40th there in April & can barely wait! I have seen a little of the lobby from visiting Boma & that's it....

I love the pix of the pool you posted. We are getting a poolview room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter