"It's better when it's just the two of us" - aka - Our first family trip! HI!!! 1/4!

DAY 4 – PT. 4

Since we didn’t have too much of a break, Miguel and I just rested in the room before getting ready for our Polynesian evening and meeting up with the group. Unfortunately, my headache had returned full force and once we all piled into my dad’s car like sardines, I was feeling even worse. I guess I had complained about my head one too many times, because Mike decided to pipe up and say how I really needed to go to the doctor when we got home and have a complete physical and lots of blood work to find out what’s wrong with me. After all, it could be diabetes…

Seriously? Because I have a headache?! This is not the first time that I had heard comments like these. I’ve often been educated about how I should eat and how I should exercise and how much weight I need to loose. Not exactly the kind of comment you want to hear when you are about to go to dinner, and ‘Ohana’s at that! Not only was I angry, but I was embarrassed. At this point, I would have rather just gone back to the hotel and went to sleep. I had had enough of this vacation.

I really tried to stay positive, though, because I was so, so excited to get back to our honeymoon destination. As much as I was enjoying the Beach Club, I kept wishing that I was at the Poly instead! I couldn’t wait to find out if the hotel still had that special feeling that it had on our Disneymoon, mostly because I was waiting to book our bounceback vacation until I was positive that I wanted to stay at the Poly for a second time.

As soon as we walked through the doors of the Great Ceremonial House, I was sure! The Poly has officially become our Disney home, because that’s exactly what I felt like when I walked it. I was at home! I felt this way about POFQ for a long time because I stayed there so often as a child, and I think I always will, but just one stay at the Poly was all it took for me. I hope it’s ok to have two Disney homes!
43cafeb1.jpg

b5f0ddb0.jpg

3eea6bb4.jpg

4b86ca7a.jpg

I showed everyone around a bit and we took a few pictures and then we went upstairs to get checked in.
c3d30d75.jpg

We were again lead to a great, round table right next to a window. Before we knew it, the food started pouring in. You know how it is at ‘Ohana!
eee1b61d.jpg

1e97aa97.jpg

3f405a9a.jpg

Now, if you’ve read any of my previous reports, then you know that Miguel and I LOVE ‘Ohaha. It is probably our favorite Disney restaurant. We always have a great time there. But, this particular night, I just didn’t enjoy myself. You definitely don’t go to ‘Ohana to have a light meal. You go to feast! But, after Mike’s comments in the car, the last thing I wanted to do was stuff my face in front of everyone. I was feeling very self-conscience, and of course, my head was still pounding! The annoying singing lady didn’t make it any better, either.

After what was certainly my least favorite meal at ‘Ohana, I suggested that we go outside and explore the pool area for a while. I figured some Poly scenery would cheer me up! Thankfully it did help, and I couldn’t wait to get back to the BC and book our bounceback offer! It was kind of chilly so we didn’t stay outside for long and didn’t take any pictures, but it was just as beautiful as I remembered! I took everyone through a little “tour” of our honeymoon and showed them where we watched Wishes the first night, where our cabana was and the longhouse that we were in. How I wished Miguel and I could have just stayed there and sent everyone else back to the BC alone!

Finally, I was able to tear myself away from the Poly and we loaded up back in the car to return “home”. I was sad that our ‘Ohana meal didn’t turn out as well as I had hoped, but I was happy that I got to spend an evening at one of my favorite places at Disney. I believe when we got back to the BC, the reservation center was closed, so instead of booking our next trip, I started planning it! It was the only thing getting me through this way less than perfect family vacations. I fell asleep that night dreaming about our next Disney adventure – just the too of us!

What a sad and annoying end to your day, especially when you had so looked forward to that meal!

For the record, I cannot see why anyone would lecture you on losing weight or what to eat. You are not bony, but you are not fat either. You are just a normal sized girl!

Also, next time someone lectures you about what causes headaches, you can lecture them right back that dehydration is often the root cause (not to mention lack of sleep, bright lights, loud noises, etc).

Other than that, your WS pics are awesome! How was that tea? Does it taste any different than brewing regular tea and then chilling it w/ ice?

I'm so happy that you posted an update! :)

Please DON'T listen to anyone's comments about your weight. Those comments from others that don't really mention your weight but you know that is what they're getting at are the worst, aren't they? Ugh! I wouldn't have wanted to eat much after someone said something like that to me, either. I'm sorry, Court. :hug: I hope you're going back to 'Ohana this fall so you can enjoy yourself!

That caramel corn is delicious. Yum! :love: I do have to say, though. There's this well-known popcorn shop in Chicago called Garrett's and they make caramel corn that is on-par with the popcorn at Disney. In fact, I prefer it because they have something called the Chicago mix; it's half cheese popcorn and half caramel. I'm not a fan of sweet and salty at all but it's the perfect combination.

I'd love to stay at Poly one day. It's definitely not in our budget now, though. One day! :)

So, about this fall trip: we must have a DIS meet!

The Poly looks so romantic at night!

Sorry your dinner at Ohana was less than magical. :hug: I agree with everyone else, you look great!

Ugh, I'm sorry to hear about that comment and how it made your dinner less-than-magical. I'm sorry, but I think it's a little extreme to automatically assume a person has diabetes just from a headache. That's ridiculous. :mad:

On a lighter note, I'm glad you had your bounceback trip to look forward to! :hug:

I'm sorry your meal at Chefs wasn't that memorable, I think the food there is OK, but I agree that the atmosphere is wonderful. It really feels like a bistro in Paris! I've also never had the chance to see Remy, so that must have been really cool! I also noticed that the actress with Remy used to be an adventurers club member, so that would have been nice to see as well.

I'm also really sorry about your headache, but in the future, if you ever need any over the counter medication (advil, tylenol, pepto-bismol,etc) you can just go to first aid and they will give you some. I've used their services more than once and they are a real lifesaver when you don't want to trek back to the resort for medicine. Good call on the caffeine, and I'm happy that it helped enough to keep you going that afternoon.

I can't believe that Mike made those snide comments about your weight, that is so mean! You are a beautiful girl, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise! I can understand not wanting to eat at 'Ohana after that, I would have been very embarrassed too! I gained a lot of weight when I was pregnant with Everett and I had a really hard time taking it off afterwords. My MIL always used to make comments about fitting back into my clothes, and getting back my figure and it really hurt my feelings, so I know how hard it is, especially coming from family. I'm so sorry it put a damper on your evening!

BUT-- YAY for a bounceback trip! Nothing takes the sting out of a bad Disney vacation like planning another one! I hope your next vacation is everything you ever dreamed of!

I felt this way about POFQ for a long time because I stayed there so often as a child, and I think I always will, but just one stay at the Poly was all it took for me. I hope it’s ok to have two Disney homes!

Well, POFQ can be your Disney home when you are feeling poor and Poly can be your Disney home when things fall into place :) Thats how I feel. We are trying POFQ for the first time this July and I know I am going to miss the Poly....but we have several meals planned there so I can relive my other trip all week ;)

How I wished Miguel and I could have just stayed there and sent everyone else back to the BC alone!

:lmao: That would've been awesome! :lmao:

Headaches are the worst- especially in the bright sunlight with all the noises/smells/stimulation of Disney! I have a ridiculous caffeine addiction, and get awful 'withdrawal' headaches if I don't get my fix (I know that is terrible and disgusting). They suck the fun out of everything.

Bummed that you didn't enjoy Kim Possible! Not that this is helpful now, but you can ask to not do a specific country when you start.

I'm dissapointed for you, just reading about 'Ohana that night. I hope you get an awesome do-over on your next trip!!!

I missed your Day 3 updates as it was posted right before I went on a trip to see my hubby. I am happy to see you posting and it is sad when a trip doesn't go the way you hoped.

Also sorry that Day 4 was so awful in large part to a headache. I have learned to have excedrin migraine with me at all times. I would be just miserable if I had a headache with everything else going on there.

I contemplated over and over going to Shulu's over Yachtsman on my October trip and am happy I have the Yachtsman reservations. Still considering Bluezoo but am afraid the same thing would happen!

I like the thought of Chefs de France but don't remember our meal there being spectacular so it is not currently on the agenda. I can tell you the sandwich was the Croque Monsieur. My husband says the Croque Madame is named that because the egg is meant to look like a womans breasts. I say it has an egg because women have eggs and men don't lol. Its the only way I can remember which is which!!

I hope you have some good memories of the trip! I want to go on a trip with my parents and my niece and my nephew (which means also my brother and sister in law) Kind of scared that it would turn into a nightmare but would love to see my niece and nephew experience Disney for the first time!

We did the water parks for the first time in 2010 and wondered why we waited so long. We had a blast doing them both.

Joining in on this TR, I managed to read your honeymoon TR in 3 hours last night...I couldn't stop!

I usually go to Disney in a BIG group. Last time it was 11 people total, so I know how you feel! I'm hoping and praying that next year I'll finally be able to take my first trip with just me and my boyfriend. Sounds like it would be a big treat!

Looking forward to future updates! :)

Ugh, that France shop gets to me too, I won't go in there anymore, the smell is just too strong! I'm sensitive to everything too, the sun, certain smells, alcohol-everything gives me a headache! It's awful when you feel that way in Disney, it sucks the fun out of everything. :(

I like Chef's, it's not great, like you said, but it's good, and it's such a pretty restaurant! I really want to go back in November, but I have nowhere to fit it in! :rotfl:

Isn't Marie the sweetest? She's probably my favorite character to meet, I like to visit her on every trip!

Ughh...just reading about the comments that were made about your headache make me SO angry! I get the same kinds of comments, people who don't get headaches have no sympathy for people who do. They just think you're being whiney and need to suck it up, I can't stand that. :furious:

I'm sorry you weren't able to enjoy 'Ohana the way you wanted to, but yay for booking your Bounceback trip to your Disney home! That's how I feel about WL, I just love it there! :lovestruc (However, I won't lie, it might be replaced by the Poly if I ever get to stay there!)

How you feel about Chefs is how I feel about Tony's! Meals there have been mediocre at best but it's become a bit of a tradition in my few trips to Disney. I just love Lady & the Tramp so much that I have to go. It's so much better during lunch, though. When it's packed it's tough to enjoy.

Sorry all the extra people aren't working out! Me and my mom thought about inviting some aunts and cousins for our trip but decided we'd have more fun alone. Glad we did because I'm thinking that group would have turned out a bit like yours!

Luckily you have a bounceback trip to look forward to! :goodvibes

Sorry you had such a bad headache! Those are the worst and can put a huge damper on your day. I think no one should feel bad or get sick at Disney!:sick:

We went with another family 2 years and it was very difficult. While there were some good times, there were many more not so fun times. I came home saying that I never wanted to go with another family again. I like it better when its just us!

I know what you mean about having a "home." That is the way I feel about BW.:lovestruc That is just one of the many, many reasons that Disney is so great...there is something for everyone.

I love the WS pictures you took!

And how wonderful to run into Pooh and friends when first arriving into Epcot :)

I've never eaten at chefs yet, but i want to eventually. My husband is somewhat of a picky eater (though I've been able to get him to try new things sometimes, which once resulted in our knowledge that he's deathly allergic to tree nuts!!!!) so I doubt he would want to eat there, so we never do lol

I'm sorry you had a headache and nothing seemed to help!

As I was reading your last post of your day, my heart was breaking.. I've been where you were there with someone telling you how to do things or what to eat or "this is whats wrong, I know it!" type of thing.. People get headaches all the time! It doesn't mean its one thing and only that! You know your body better than anyone else and like you said, you knew what was contributing to your headache. I too would have/ and have been embarrassed like that and wouldn't have eaten much either. O'hana isn't a "lite" meal. And you should NEVER be embarrassed like that on a trip YOU planned and orchestrated!!!!

I can tell, not that I haven't already, that this trip started out in a bad way and wasn't going to get better :( and that makes me equally sad! Disney is supposed to be the happy place, and it just doesn't seem like someone in your party was enjoying himself and was being pretty negative.

Oh no! I'm sorry your head was bothering you so much! When I was young (mostly 12-15), I got HORRIBLE headaches. I did everything you're supposed to do-- drink enough water, eat enough, etc. Eventually they went away and I only get them at predictable times now, but augh, that was such a pain (literally!). I do hope it's something that eventually goes away for you! That's REALLY annoying that Mike decided to "diagnose" you. Sorry you weren't able to enjoy your dinner. :hug:
Headache aside, it does seem like you were able to have some fun! I think the pick-a-pearl is a Disney experience everyone should do! The CM's enthusiasm is always so cute.
Great character pictures! You guys met so many!

oh man I'm sorry to hear about your miserable day. I really hope you were able to book your bounceback Poly offer! :goodvibes

So excited to read an update :), but sorry to hear about the unwanted advice about your health. Hope you were able to sleep it off (with Disney planning dreams) and have a better next day!

You know I love the Poly, so I completely understand how you felt when you walked in!

A new favorite? Caramel corn? You led me to the Napoleon, and I am still dreaming about those. I may have to try your new favorite snack! ;)

I just have to say again how precious your grandmother is. Your grandparents looks so sweet and happy together. How long have they been together?

Yay :yay: Great update!! I love that guy at pick a pearl. I watched him do like 5 pearls last trip, he was always so enthusiastic and seemed like he was having an awesome time! Courtney, I really don't think you have diabetes. (Rolls eyes)I can't believe Mike said that....:(. Headache can be for sooo many different reasons (more likely that you are NOT eating enough). The Poly looks so beautiful at night. DH and I are going to try and get an ADR for O'Hanna for our trip in January. Looking forward to the next update. -Amanda :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter