It's a SO-LO trip report! Oct 09, CR/YC, MNSSHP, F&W, and Independence! FINAL UPDATE!

As I was walking out of the carpets area, a woman says to me, “Isn’t that your daughter? She ran up there.” She had a look of intense disapproval on her face, like I was such a terrible mother for letting my five-year-old daughter run off alone! Clearly she’d seen us riding the carpet together. Since she seemed so judgmental about it, it was very satisfying to be able to say: “Nope!” :laughing:

(For the record, I did make a point of following the little girl in the Belle dress, to make sure she wasn’t really alone; she caught up with her dad and sister, who’d apparently been riding in a different carpet.)

Don't you love it when you can tell what somebody else is thinking, and you get a chance to set the record straight?

Glad you kept tabs on the little girl to make sure she found her dad.

Speaking of, did you know that Donald Duck has a sister named Dumbella? Now that’s just cruel.

I did not know that! If she married Tweedle Dum would she be Dumbella Dum?

Then I rode BTMRR one more time, this time in the back car – between that and the dark, it felt crazy-fast! I decided I should leave the party on that high note, and headed for Main Street. I think it was around 11:30…my goal had been to stay until absolute closing and walk around a near-empty park after midnight, but I was just too tired. Maybe next time.

I've gotta ride BTMRR at night sometime!

I haven't been around in a while and I got to come back on to a couple of updates! I love the pictures from POR and POFQ. I really want to check them out some day but for now, Beach Club is home. The Pins update is cool and I can totally relate. Trading is so addictive isn't it? But it's also hard to give up your pins:rotfl2: Loving the MNSSHP parades. Never been but hopefully one day we will! Can't wait till the next update comes!

Another great update! Parade pics are wonderful and I seriously hummed the music from the MNSSHP for at least 3 months after our trip in 2007. Seeing all your pics made me sad that we didn't do the party this past trip a few weeks ago, but there's always next time.

Looking forward to the next update!

That definitely was too weird about the little girl on the Carpet Ride:confused3 How sweet (and responsible) of you to follow her to make sure she was safe!

I never thought I'd like to visit WDW during Halloween time but after seeing pics on the Dis and watching the parade on Youtube on Halloween night with my grandson, I've definitely changed my mind. Maybe in 2011! I love the gravediggers and the skeletons (isn't that one cute?)

Great update!:thumbsup2

I’m not kidding, I seriously have a crush on a skeleton!

Well, I guess being underweight it's mandatory these days :rolleyes: :laughing:

Chatting with little kids is always nice, although I try to avoid it if they are not close to their parents... I feel like is not secure for them. I once lectured a young couple (strangers of course) about this subject :blush: I think I just worry too much.

Ooopps... don't want to derail the thread... great update.

Hi there :wave: Read through your TR today at work (thanks for helping me pass the time! :thumbsup2)
Love all of your songs! They made me laugh right out loud!
Great pin collection....I too really like the "vintage look" and especially your coveted one of Walt ::yes:: And I really like your positioning of your laynard too!!
It seems that a lot of people had bad views of Hallowishes...I was actually walking out of HM when it started so I ended up watching over by the Carousel and it was okay....couldn't really see much either but a friend of mine who went a few weeks earlier had amazing pictures so at least I know how it was supposed to look! :laughing:
That is too funny that you mentioned your skeleton crush...I watched the parade twice and I found them strangely sexy/attractive too! :lmao:
Looking forward to more!

Tracy

My Mom's at 6 pins...she gets about one/year when one strikes her fancy. And started about 5 years ago. So it's not that she stopped at 6 pins...she's still going!! She's just picky!

And I think the gravediggers were my favorite. And Eeyore had my favorite costume!

Clearly she’d seen us riding the carpet together. Since she seemed so judgmental about it, it was very satisfying to be able to say: “Nope!” :laughing:

:rotfl2: I would have loved to see the look on her face!

704218069_Wsw4r-L.jpg

I love this one! :rotfl:

Thanks for sharing the parade with us. You got some great pics!

I did not know that! If she married Tweedle Dum would she be Dumbella Dum?
:lmao:

I've gotta ride BTMRR at night sometime!
You really do! It's as good an excuse as any to get back there ASAP, right? :thumbsup2

I haven't been around in a while and I got to come back on to a couple of updates! I love the pictures from POR and POFQ. I really want to check them out some day but for now, Beach Club is home. The Pins update is cool and I can totally relate. Trading is so addictive isn't it? But it's also hard to give up your pins:rotfl2: Loving the MNSSHP parades. Never been but hopefully one day we will! Can't wait till the next update comes!
I know what you mean, that's how I feel about YC...even though I want to try so many other resorts, it's hard to talk myself out of staying there!

Another great update! Parade pics are wonderful and I seriously hummed the music from the MNSSHP for at least 3 months after our trip in 2007. Seeing all your pics made me sad that we didn't do the party this past trip a few weeks ago, but there's always next time.

Looking forward to the next update!
Thanks! I have Boo to You in my head for about half of every day now. I like the song, and everything, but please tell me it goes away eventually! :rotfl:

I never thought I'd like to visit WDW during Halloween time but after seeing pics on the Dis and watching the parade on Youtube on Halloween night with my grandson, I've definitely changed my mind. Maybe in 2011! I love the gravediggers and the skeletons (isn't that one cute?)

Great update!:thumbsup2
Thanks! I highly recommend WDW in October...not only was MNSSHP great, but the crowds were awesome. It's worth it just for that!

Tribilín;34281087 said:
Chatting with little kids is always nice, although I try to avoid it if they are not close to their parents... I feel like is not secure for them. I once lectured a young couple (strangers of course) about this subject :blush: I think I just worry too much.
Yeah, I felt really weird about it. Not like I had any choice, though! Which was so strange...I mean, when you think about it, I was essentially babysitting this kid without my consent! And when I saw her dad & sister afterward, I really didn't understand, because they easily could've all fit in one carpet. :confused3

Hi there :wave: Read through your TR today at work (thanks for helping me pass the time! :thumbsup2)
Love all of your songs! They made me laugh right out loud!
Great pin collection....I too really like the "vintage look" and especially your coveted one of Walt ::yes:: And I really like your positioning of your laynard too!!
Thanks! And :welcome:

That is too funny that you mentioned your skeleton crush...I watched the parade twice and I found them strangely sexy/attractive too! :lmao:
Glad to know I'm not the only one! :rotfl2:

My Mom's at 6 pins...she gets about one/year when one strikes her fancy. And started about 5 years ago. So it's not that she stopped at 6 pins...she's still going!! She's just picky!
I think I should strive for her pickiness. For the sake of my wallet. :thumbsup2

Thanks for sharing the parade with us. You got some great pics!

It was my pleasure! I hope to get to the next update soon, but I have a crazy few days at work coming up, so we'll see...hope you're all having wonderful weeks!

Just a short update today, but better short than not at all, right?

My original plan for this Wednesday had been to wake up really early, check out of the Contemporary, take a taxi to the Yacht Club, check in there, leave my luggage with bell services (I wanted to transport it myself, since I had early dinner plans), then walk to DHS in time for rope drop.

Luckily, I realized even before I went to sleep Tuesday night that this plan was insane. I’d had two late nights in a row (MK EMH and MNSSHP), one ridiculously early morning (flying), one decently early morning (MK RD), and two very full days already. Getting up at six Wednesday morning was pretty much out of the question. I was on vacation, after all – why wear myself out? :faint:

So I meant to sleep in. And believe me, usually I’m very good at sleeping in: in reality, if I didn’t have to walk the dog or go to work or have any, you know, life-responsibilities, I could easily sleep until noon. But I guess my body was on Disney time, because I woke up at 8:00!

I quickly got ready and packed up my stuff…I was excited to get to the Yacht Club and start the next phase of my trip. By 9:15 or so, I was saying goodbye to my room and my pretty view:
693409807_DDDDH-L.jpg

A repeat photo, sorry!

They had neglected to leave my express check-out envelope under my door (despite a voicemail the previous day explaining how this would happen), so I had to stop at the desk on my way out. :rolleyes2 Luckily, the process was quick, and I was in a cab by 9:30. I was a bit frustrated in the taxi when I realized that I had left my water bottle in the room fridge. :headache: It was a small stainless steel bottle that I’d been refilling from a larger plastic bottle in the fridge. It was particularly handy because it clipped onto my purse strap, meaning it didn’t take up any room in my purse and left my hands free. I decided it wasn’t worth calling lost and found over, but it still kind of bummed me out that I forgot it, just because it’d been making my life easier. And I felt kinda dumb for forgetting it! :sad2:

I neglected to write down how much the cab cost between the CR and the YC, but I remember being surprised at how expensive it was.

As soon as I stepped into the YC, my mood lifted. For me, this is the place that really feels like home, since it’s where I’ve stayed on all my other “grown-up” trips. And even though I liked the CR well enough, the YC feels so much more…comfy. :cloud9:

712801947_e99g9-L.jpg

I meant to get so many more lobby pics, but I never did! Oh well, next time.

Thanks to the awesome concierge deals they had going on around this time, I’d switched my reservation to concierge and ended up paying far less than I had originally been paying for a regular room. Can’t beat that! I told the greeter at the check-in line that I was staying concierge, and after a few moments, Warner, the concierge greeter, came out to take me up to the 5th floor. Warner was extremely nice, and after two days I was finally feeling chatty, so it was a very pleasant elevator ride up. He left me at the concierge desks, where another CM checked me in (this guy was perfectly friendly, but he paled in comparison to Warner). And guess what? 10:00 AM, and my room was ready! :cool1:

The bellman led me down the hall, and farther down the hall, and farther down the hall. Which wasn’t making me nervous, because I prefer a quieter room farther from the lounge and elevators. We finally got to my room:
712800720_AvtSs-L.jpg

A king bed! I was happy about this, because though it hadn’t bothered me to have two beds in my room at the CR, there is something cozier, if you’re staying alone, about having only one bed in your room. Of course, this meant the room itself was smaller than the normal YC rooms, but I didn’t mind. When my mom and I stayed there in May, they tried to put us in one of these rooms, and seemed surprised when we insisted on a room with two beds. Even though there were only two of us, the concierge acted like it was strange one of us didn’t want to sleep on the daybed. We thought that was very weird, especially considering 90% of the rooms have two beds. :confused3

Anyway, back to this room. I was happy about the bed, and didn’t care about the small size. But then I went to look at the view. The only room request I’d made was for a straight lagoon view. This was my view:
712844099_XxJpo-L.jpg

Sure, there’s the lagoon. But it’s really more of a pool view, in my opinion. And I’m not crazy about pool views, because they’re decidedly non-peaceful. But the undeniably bad part of the view was this:
712799936_KkNWh-L.jpg

This was actually the view. And the room was in the inner corner, meaning someone else’s balcony was literally facing mine on my right.

I couldn’t decide what to do. Part of me felt I should complain about the view. But I was happy about the king bed, and very happy my room was ready so early, and anxious to get going to DHS. So I decided I’d settle. If I hadn’t gotten such an amazing deal for the room, or if I had anyone with me, I definitely would have asked for a room switch. My mom firmly believes that they’ll always put you in the worst room possible if you don’t speak up, and maybe she’s right. It nagged at me a bit, this first day, but by the second day I was used to the room and didn’t care at all.

Some more pics of the room:
712800497_tDyeQ-L.jpg

712800218_YdGmA-L.jpg

I was very happy with the soft renovation…I never liked the overtly nautically-themed bedspreads they used to have. I think the rooms look much classier and more restful now.

Despite the less-than-ideal view, I was still pretty darn happy!
712798442_yVTXV-L.jpg

Coming Soon: Rockin’ Roller Coaster = Walk-on Roller Coaster!

I've never seen the Yacht Club rooms -- they look nice! And Concierge! :thumbsup2

Doesn't it kill you to forget something in your room like that? You just reminded me of a similar story from our trip that I haven't put in my trip report yet. Hmmmm....should I? Or maybe the question is, did I? I may have to go back and re-read!!! :laughing:

I can't sleep in at Disney either.

I'm loving your review :)

I'm going on my first solo trip next May, and 5 nights of it will be spent at the YC concierge too.

Beautiful pictures!
I love the colors in the pictures of the room. What kind of camera/lens did you use?
Even looking through the trees, a view of SAB beats any view from work:thumbsup2

Excited to read another update. Gotta be the same Warner, when we visited two years ago, I *think* he was the assistant manager at Beach and Yacht Club and was FANTASTIC. Remembered my kids names every time we walked in (which is impressive in itself) and even found a special pin my oldest DD was looking for and left it on her pillow one night with a note. We wrote a wonderful letter to Disney about Warner because he totally went above and beyond.

I'm torn on your view as well, although the first picture was really lovely, but that second pic would have totally ticked me off too. Your mom has a very interesting theory...I've never thought about that before.

Can't wait to hear about HS (it's my favorite park!)

Thanks for the super fun TR! I stayed at the Yacht Club for the first time in September, and loved the luscious room decor.

I've never seen the Yacht Club rooms -- they look nice! And Concierge! :thumbsup2
Yeah, they're really beautiful, especially now (they just completed a refurb a few months ago).

Doesn't it kill you to forget something in your room like that? You just reminded me of a similar story from our trip that I haven't put in my trip report yet. Hmmmm....should I? Or maybe the question is, did I? I may have to go back and re-read!!! :laughing:
YES! It was killing me. I mean, not that it really mattered I was losing this $10 water bottle...it was just the knowledge that I'd been so stupid as to leave it that was eating me up! :sad2: (And I guess that's what happens when your TR reaches three billion pages...it gets hard to keep track! :rotfl:)

I love the Yacht Club rooms!!!
I know, I wish I could be back there now!

I'm loving your review :)

I'm going on my first solo trip next May, and 5 nights of it will be spent at the YC concierge too.
Thanks! And :welcome: You're going to love being solo. I see from your siggie that you stayed at BWI last time...I'll be interested to hear how you think the YC compares, post-refurb.

Beautiful pictures!
I love the colors in the pictures of the room. What kind of camera/lens did you use?
Even looking through the trees, a view of SAB beats any view from work:thumbsup2
Very, very true. A view of the dumpsters anywhere at WDW pretty much beats a view from work. I just got a new camera shortly before my trip...it's a Sony superzoom DSC-HX1. I didn't think I was quite ready for an SLR (in my mind, a "real" camera)...maybe in a few years.

Excited to read another update. Gotta be the same Warner, when we visited two years ago, I *think* he was the assistant manager at Beach and Yacht Club and was FANTASTIC. Remembered my kids names every time we walked in (which is impressive in itself) and even found a special pin my oldest DD was looking for and left it on her pillow one night with a note. We wrote a wonderful letter to Disney about Warner because he totally went above and beyond.
It must have been the same man -- how many Warners could there be? He was really great, and totally made my morning. I actually think it may have been because he was so friendly that I got started on my next phase of chatting to CMs (and other guests, and anyone who would talk to me), which did make the rest of my trip even more fun!

I'm torn on your view as well, although the first picture was really lovely, but that second pic would have totally ticked me off too.
Yeah, I know my not-liking-pool-views thing is really a personal preference on my part. But the ugly roof really was the view...it was impossible to ignore. I still enjoyed sitting out there, though, and I learned an important lesson to be more explicit in my room request next time.

Love your room at YC! And I agree with you about the changes to the room decor--much better!
Isn't it? I mean, I loved the YC before, too, but let's just pause a moment here to consider the differences between these two rooms:
715014289_U4eca-L.jpg

Photo courtesy of allears.net

712800720_AvtSs-S.jpg

Thanks for the super fun TR! I stayed at the Yacht Club for the first time in September, and loved the luscious room decor.
Thanks, and :welcome:

YES! It was killing me. I mean, not that it really mattered I was losing this $10 water bottle...it was just the knowledge that I'd been so stupid as to leave it that was eating me up! :sad2: (And I guess that's what happens when your TR reaches three billion pages...it gets hard to keep track! :rotfl:)

I'm the same way.

I don't think it's the length of the TR that's the issue, but how much time I've let slip by between posts. More time = worse memory.

Isn't it? I mean, I loved the YC before, too, but let's just pause a moment here to consider the differences between these two rooms:
715014289_U4eca-L.jpg

Photo courtesy of allears.net

712800720_AvtSs-S.jpg

Wow, you're right....that's quite an improvement. Much classier now. Thanks for posting that comparison.

Hi Nory!

I just stumbled upon your report this afternoon and I read all eight pages in one sitting. You are HILARIOUS, girl.

I took my first solo trip in July and I'm still writing this monster trip report in Word. Trying to get closer to the end before I start posting because having a 2.5 yo son at home means far less time to write. So yes, I've been writing it for 5 months and I'm nowhere near finished.

Okay, you know that picture you took of yourself in the mirror? I showed it to a few people at work who agreed that it looks just like me. It is very bizarre. You're like my (younger) twin.

I look forward to the rest of your report. Just wanted you to know how much I've been enjoying it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter