It's 2015 people still pay with CHECKS in stores!?

Coincidentally, we are small business owners and we do not accept debit/credit as payment. Cash or check only.

Our local library doesn't accept credit/debit either.

Local ice cream parlor is CASH only.

Coincidentally, we are small business owners and we do not accept debit/credit as payment. Cash or check only.

There is one deli by me that doesn't take credit/debit- I went once, will never return, its just not convenient.

We have a couple of local restaurants that give a discount for cash. We also have some small businesses near us that are cash only. It doesn't bother me. I keep some cash with me nearly all the time. I like to support local.

The last time I had checks they lasted me 5 years. Just recently had to get more... haven't used one in the last month.

I typically write 4 checks per year for our quarterly water bill (the town doesn't take CC payments online so I send in a check). Then a few random ones. I did manage to use 3 checks in one day a bit over a month ago though (right before I had to get more). One to get my husbands birth certificate (they didn't take cash for some strange reason) and two to send in with our passport applications.

I think it's silly to pay with a card for those amounts and that's what I see. People buying a candy bar, coffee or something similar and pulling out a card. I don't understand not having $50 or so of cash to buy day to day items.
There wouldn't be 3 times a year that I'd actually have that much cash on me and if I did it would be because I'd made a special trip to get it for a specific purpose. We do everything by debit including giving our offering at church!

There wouldn't be 3 times a year that I'd actually have that much cash on me and if I did it would be because I'd made a special trip to get it for a specific purpose. We do everything by debit including giving our offering at church!

In my case I don't like to carry cash because I have a tendancy to lose it. I dont' carry a wallet my cards are just in my back pocket. I have never had an issue with losing a card but have many times dropped cash when pulling out something else from my pockets.

For my husband if I gave him 50 in cash he would spend it and two days later not even be able to tell me what he bought.

There are some local places that only take cash. We keep a small bit at home for those cases or stop by an ATM on the way. Our favorite ice cream place and a local outdoor diner (the kind of place that used to serve food on rollerskates) are ones where we do this.

The last time I had checks they lasted me 5 years. Just recently had to get more... haven't used one in the last month.

I typically write 4 checks per year for our quarterly water bill (the town doesn't take CC payments online so I send in a check). Then a few random ones. I did manage to use 3 checks in one day a bit over a month ago though (right before I had to get more). One to get my husbands birth certificate (they didn't take cash for some strange reason) and two to send in with our passport applications.

My checks are still preprinted with 19 _ _ on them- I have to write in 2015 on the _ _ spot LOL. Last time I ordered checks was in the 90's!

My checks are still preprinted with 19 _ _ on them- I have to write in 2015 on the _ _ spot LOL. Last time I ordered checks was in the 90's!

I expect these ones to last me much longer... the last set I used a bunch when I still had to pay my rent by check each month...

Last edited:
I live in Canada and I'm pretty sure most stores here don't even accept checks (or CHEQUES, as we spell it LOL) anymore. Paying with debit (your bank card) is HUGE here, has been for many, many years. A lot of Canadians don't even carry much cash anymore. My mom does (but she's 75!). A couple of weeks ago I was at McDonalds and their machines were down and could only accept cash. I didn't want to go across the road to the bank (not my bank, didn't want to pay ATM fees) so I had $6 in change on me and just ate off the value menu ;-) Would've gone somewhere else that I could have used debit at but we were already running late for a playdate. The only time I write cheques is for some school stuff for my kids (scholastic book orders, some lunch orders etc).

This almost word for word.
I don't think most of our stores allow cheques anymore.

Well, well. This one came up a year or two back and I was royally flamed for still using checks. Oh, how 1985-ish! :rotfl2:

We use checks all the time, even when we have an in-store credit card (like Sears). It's a good way to keep exact track of the money since we DO keep the check ledger up to date. If debit were more secure, we'd probably use it at least some of the time (most places don't require you to enter a PIN, at least around here) but that card is a direct pipeline to the bank account. That, and the hold put on your funds with a debit transaction, keep us from using debit. We use credit cards (MC through USAA, and a Cabela's Visa that gives points) but we're trying to pay down the MC balance that built up over several years of Mrs. Tex not working or working only part time.

We always fill out the check while we're waiting in line, so all we need to do is write in the amount and sign. No more delay than swiping a card. Not planning on changing anytime soon, either.

I accept Visa MC checks and cash. I would say out of 100 transactions I get 2 credit cards. Most write checks.

I'll use a check if it's a place that gives a "cash price" which is usually 3% off. Although most of them extend cash price for debit cards now.

Costco is the only reason I have carry a debit card, I know people who only carry a check book because of Costco. It is what it is.

At a place like Costco I don't care, I expect it.

I expect this will drop dramatically once they switch to visa next year.

Costco lines are long anyway, I'm more frustrated by the lack of open registers.

I stopped writing checks in stores over 10 years ago. I got tired of the delay from having to show id, the clerk having to write the DL number down, etc. Plus then we got a credit card with points, so we use my credit card for 99% of all purchases because it's convenient and faster, plus I get rewards points that, essentially, result in free money. Why wouldn't a use a paying device that gives me cash back?

I was never a big one for carrying cash, maybe because I'm from NYC and while I've never been mugged, it was par for the course, to only carry a little cash in case something happened -- that way, your loss was minimal. (Note: for the record, the only time I've been "robbed" was when my wallet was stolen by my boss at work out of my desk. In the suburban midwest.)

I work retail right now in a "nice" home decor store and I am amazed at the wads of cash older ladies have on their person. Often these ladies are slow moving, use canes or walkers, and have no self preservation in that they are opening up these thick wallets with 2" of cash clearly visible. It has shocked me to see how common this cash-carrying practice is for older women. Also note that at this store, I get about one check a month -- that's how rare it is.

Checks are so 20th Century.

I'm happy sticking to the 20th Century for some things, like writing checks. :)

Do you still have a VCR too?

Why yes, we do! And occasionally watch a movie on it too!

I also have a record player and listen to records quite often.

You know, some of you who are so "into" paying for everything with credit and debit cards, and making fun of or shaking your head at those of us who still prefer to pay with checks, may have this same thing happen to YOU in 20-30 more years. You will be digging your heels in to use your credit cards and debit cards and some other form of payment will be "popular" then. Ever think about that? :)

I had someone in front of me at the grocery store pay with a check too. They ran it through the machine and immediately handed it back to her processed!

I write checks to pay for a few bills (lawn service, some local contractor projects), but i can't recall the last time I wrote a check in a store.

People who "pay for everything with debit/credits cards" cause far more delays at supermarket checkouts than those writing checks. Probably because so few people still write checks for such purposes. For every person holding up the line by writing a check, there are a dozen who have a problem with a card, keep swiping it a dozen times, then dig out another card and try it, and then that one doesn't work.......:crazy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter