It's 2015 people still pay with CHECKS in stores!?

I'm wondering from some of these responses if it's more common to use debit in Canada than American. I recall at one point reading that it was due to the differences in our banking system. I honestly don't recall seeing anyone writing a cheque at a store in years. I also don't think that personal cheques are accepted most places like grocery stores. I'm fairly certain that Walmart Canada does not accept personal cheques. Next time I'm there I'm going to check and see if they do.
It is more common.

It is more common.

Okay I found something from Pepperdine University. It's more to do with commercial banking than personal however. It's fairly rare for cheques to be used in retail outlets up here. Like I said before I don't think Walmart takes personal cheques just government issued ones (child tax credit, etc.) which is going to disappear anyhow as the Government of Canada will no longer being issuing cheques and it will all be direct deposit.

The U.S. Banking Environment: 7 Key Factors You Need to Know
The U.S. banking environment is very unique when compared to systems in Canada and most other countries. Some of the factors which make the U.S. banking environment unique are:

1. Large number of depository financial institutions;
  2. Lack of nationwide branching;
  3. Significant usage of checks and mail-based payments;
  4. Restrictions on corporate checking accounts;
  5. Unbundled pricing of banking services;
  6. Arms-length relationships between banks and customers; and
  7. Involvement of a central bank (the Federal Reserve) in the processing of payments.

ETA - also finally found something on one our large grocery chains.
What are the payment options available at Loblaws?
We accept Visa, Mastercard, Interac, and cash.

Last edited:
I no longer write checks at a store because *I* find it a hassle. Over the years, my handwriting has gotten so bad, I just can't stand thinking about it.....
....funny you mention that, because I always get compliments about my <nice> handwriting....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter