It's 2015 people still pay with CHECKS in stores!?

OK calm down right now you sound like you ARE stressing. FWIW you started the thread and put such emphasis on the word CHECKS !? sounds like you do care.

Did you know this little fact: Peter Luger Steakhouse does not accept any credit cards at either Brooklyn or Great Neck locations. Accepted forms of payment are the Peter Luger Card, US checks with ID, and US debit cards.

I found that kind of amusing.

http://peterluger.com/our-menu/

Sounds like you want me to CHECK my attitude haha...anyone anyone :sad2:

I only write checks for my kids' school things (pictures, yearbooks, etc). My mother, however, writes checks almost everywhere because she doesn't like debit cards (actually, it's my dad who doesn't like debit cards).

I found it interesting that within the past week, my 2nd grader's homework included "writing a check" and my 5th grader's math project includes "writing checks." I just thought check writing was becoming more a thing of the past.

What a snarky thread about checkbooks.. Yet strangely entertaining. The OP seemed to just be saying they were surprised people still use checks. I am also. Technology changes. I'd be surprised seeing someone listening to a CD "walkman" or, whatever they were called, but I wouldn't particularly care. Just not used to seeing it anymore. I rarely see someone take out a checkbook in a store.
My parents like to pay cash for most things, which is great. But they never had cash on them. So before they did anything they would go to the bank. Go to bank, get gas. Go to bank, go to a restaurant. Took them years to see that there was an easier way of doing things. I didn't care that they took 1/2 their day driving to the bank but it made great teasing material...

We pay bills with checks and use cash at stores.
I wonder how long it will be until stores refuse cash?
The new Guest Laundry's at WDW only have a couple of coin machines.
The vast majority of them are credit card only.

I've waited longer in lines behind young mothers texting and talking on the phone. Not sure why that can't wait. But I rarely hurry now anyway so it doesn't matter.

Why hurry, most Americans end up at the same place anyway. Sitting on the couch watching and eating garbage at 8pm.

You really do try too hard at times. Just sayin'

I'm a cashier at The Home Depot and tons of people still pay with checks. A lot of them are older and tell me they don't use credit/debit cards. It usually don't bother me to process a check since we do it electronically and give the check back to the customer, I tell them that they don't have to fill it out, it only annoys me when they don't listen and sit there and fill it out anyway.

Someday, all of us will want to use our debit or credit cards for payment and all the stores will take is a tap from a smart phone. Or whatever the next form of payment will be and we will be the ones not wanting to change from that we find comfortable.

Be kind to those who walk ahead of you; you'll soon be in their steps.

Someday, all of us will want to use our debit or credit cards for payment and all the stores will take is a tap from a smart phone. Or whatever the next form of payment will be and we will be the ones not wanting to change from that we find comfortable.

Yep. I've got a couple of the apps for that loaded on my phone. I haven't used them yet because I'm still looking into the security issues of having my cell phone tied directly to a credit card or a bank account (I have both kinds of apps). If they're secure, then I'm all over just tapping my phone. In spite of what some may think, I'm far from a Luddite! :p

:thumbsup2
How many people post here that still don't want smart phones? They are the wave of payment in the future with apps like Apple Pay.

We already pay with our phone in a few places. For instance, we pay for our Starbucks (yes we drink far too much overpriced coffee) through our smart phone. Just bring up the app and they scan it and it deducts the amount out of our Starbucks balance.

And up until recently, I still paid with checks at Costco because they did not take my Visa branded debit card.

I have not read this whole thread past the OP. Anyway, OP I can tell you that I worked retail about 4 years ago and there were people that would come in and pay with checks. I despised those people b/c processing a check is such a pain, but if that's all the person has to pay with at the time for that amount then it is what it is. Just my 2 cents.

I write almost no checks. I wrote one the other day, and it still had my address from where I lived in 1989!!!!!!!!!!! I'm just now using up the rest of that order of checks. Twenty six years!

I'm a cashier at The Home Depot and tons of people still pay with checks. A lot of them are older and tell me they don't use credit/debit cards. It usually don't bother me to process a check since we do it electronically and give the check back to the customer, I tell them that they don't have to fill it out, it only annoys me when they don't listen and sit there and fill it out anyway.
If they are older folks there might be a chance that they didn't hear you or didn't understand what you were talking about. Speak loudly and explain what you are going to do. It might help. I know there was a time when Debit transactions were charged out to the holder. That no longer exists, to my knowledge. When they told me that they could print it for me, I was very happy. But, now I use my Debit card for just about everything that I used to write checks on.

I still use checks to pay some bills for mailing. My checks have the carbon copy attached to it. I like this a lot to keep track of everything. It always takes extra time for me in a store because I wind up ALWAYS swiping my credit card the wrong way !

My credit union has been having issues with their debit cards getting hacked several times over the past year (it happened to my mom twice), so I refuse to get a debit card. I pay with CC or cash in stores. For bills or payments to DD's school, I use checks. I'm 44yo, for the record, and pretty tech-savvy.

I wrote a check at Costco today. I honestly think it took less time than using a credit card and waiting to hit enter on several screens before you sign the pad. I signed the check while he was scanning, he ran it through the machine and we were done. What's the big deal?

I'm wondering from some of these responses if it's more common to use debit in Canada than American. I recall at one point reading that it was due to the differences in our banking system. I honestly don't recall seeing anyone writing a cheque at a store in years. I also don't think that personal cheques are accepted most places like grocery stores. I'm fairly certain that Walmart Canada does not accept personal cheques. Next time I'm there I'm going to check and see if they do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter