• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is Walt Disney World going to 100% security screenings at the parks?

What about the resorts where guests can walk to a park? And people that drive or take taxis? And how would you do something like that at the resorts with the outlying bus stops and no queues? Make buildings for the queues, and staff them so no one can jump the line? That would cost a ton of money to do! Between CBR, CSR, and POR alone you are talking about 16 check points.
There is no way logistically to check people differently than they are now. They could check at TTC but that's really the only place where it is going to be possible to add additional security areas.

My family went to MK today. We are Disney veterans and have never felt unsafe, but today I was a little on edge. We took a bus from Saratoga Springs. There was a Cast Member at the resort bus stop, presumably to give people wait times. I have seen these people doing this in the past, but they are not always there. I guess it takes a lot of man power to have someone stationed at each bus stop. When we arrived at MK around 10:30am, there was a HUGE mass of people waiting to go through bag check and then the wristband scanners. There were several K-9 units as well as regular police and many Disney security guards. Truth be told, I was VERY nervous while waiting to go in. I moved my kids over to the side near guest services while we waited on my husband to come through bag check so we were not standing in the middle of the crowd. I do wish there was some way to check people before boarding the transportation so as not to create such a bottleneck at the park entrance.

All this being said, I will continue to come to WDW, and enjoy my time here. I will not let the actions of radical people influence my choices, but I will be more cautious. My heartfelt condolences go to the LGBT community and Orlando.
They've been at the bus stops every morning on every trip we've taken over the past 2 years. Surprised you haven't noticed them regularly. I sure have.

Did you find your time entering without a bag to be about the same as past trips?

What about the resorts where guests can walk to a park? And people that drive or take taxis? And how would you do something like that at the resorts with the outlying bus stops and no queues? Make buildings for the queues, and staff them so no one can jump the line? That would cost a ton of money to do! Between CBR, CSR, and POR alone you are talking about 16 check points.
Living in the UK and growing up with the troubles in Ireland I think we've learnt in Europe that even with our strict gun laws these extremists can find ways to commit atrocities - our nearest city of Manchester was badly bombed in the middle of a busy shopping street some years ago and took a lot of rebuilding - imagine that in the confines of a modern huge shopping mall. Everyone needs to be aware at all times but not let it stop us living our lives.

That's a damn shame that Disney springs was "this" close to being the place where this happened. I'm glad it didn't but still heartbroken that the incident even happened in the first place.

I heard there were 13 cast members unaccounted for, does anyone know if one of the victims was a cast member? I'm only curious for Disneys sake. Shame about the forbidden journey worker, I'm glad they closed it last night to honor him

From what I've heard, one victim was a CM who worked in the Emporium. :worried:

From what I've heard, one victim was a CM who worked in the Emporium. :worried:
My mom just told me, while scolding me for bringing the whole thing up when I mentioned how it could've been Disney Springs. I'm only reading news reports because this one hits close to home. Orlando is as close to a home to me as my best friend's house, so it's breaking my already broken heart to see what's going on in this city that has meant so much to me. I understand that it's too tragic and morbid in a sense to keep talking about it, but I've only been because I know how personal this was to me. I have family there. I have friends. My sister lived there for the DCP. I was even suppose to move there. If it were Orlando Oklahoma I wouldn't be taken this to heart as near if that makes any sense. So that's why I seem to care so much.

I wonder if Disney is going to do something in his memory

Living in the UK and growing up with the troubles in Ireland I think we've learnt in Europe that even with our strict gun laws these extremists can find ways to commit atrocities - our nearest city of Manchester was badly bombed in the middle of a busy shopping street some years ago and took a lot of rebuilding - imagine that in the confines of a modern huge shopping mall. Everyone needs to be aware at all times but not let it stop us living our lives.

I work in a huge mall, so I imagine it more than I like. I totally agree, we all need to be aware but we need to try to not let it control us.

One thing that is for certain, people who plan to commit crimes aren't known for letting something like a law stop their plans so yeah, gun laws won't deter someone determined to get their hands on one.
I'm all for whatever makes it harder because hoops will deter some

My mom just told me, while scolding me for bringing the whole thing up when I mentioned how it could've been Disney Springs. I'm only reading news reports because this one hits close to home. Orlando is as close to a home to me as my best friend's house, so it's breaking my already broken heart to see what's going on in this city that has meant so much to me. I understand that it's too tragic and morbid in a sense to keep talking about it, but I've only been because I know how personal this was to me. I have family there. I have friends. My sister lived there for the DCP. I was even suppose to move there. If it were Orlando Oklahoma I wouldn't be taken this to heart as near if that makes any sense. So that's why I seem to care so much.

I wonder if Disney is going to do something in his memory

Attacker visited Springs as a potential target apparently:
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-...ortedly-scouted-disney-world-potential-target

Which reminds me of this:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-families-mistake-fistfight-shots-fired.html

Disney need to do something about security at Springs ASAP.

You can't uninvent a thousand year old device. And, its not really that simple, France, Belgium, the UK have all experienced attacks with real, actual machine guns even though guns are heavily restricted or almost entirely banned in those countries.

Zero mass shootings in the UK last year. Only 2 in France in recent history I believe. 372 in America last year.

They've been at the bus stops every morning on every trip we've taken over the past 2 years. Surprised you haven't noticed them regularly. I sure have.

Did you find your time entering without a bag to be about the same as past trips?
I have seen the bus stop cast members in the past, but not on a regular basis, maybe we aren't on the busses early enough? And I would estimate it took us between 5 and 10 minutes longer to enter the park. The wait time is not the issue, it's the throng of people collected there. Which is not a new thing necessarily, but in light of what happened, maybe something that could be addressed? No easy answer for sure.

Last edited:
Several news reports have mentioned that the guy had visited Disney Springs earlier. They speculate that he was scouting it as a potential target. To me this is just the news media looking for an angle. Something to get us to click on their story or keep watching TV. Especially by linking the Disney name to the story.

Think about it. The target he did pick wasn't a huge theme park with a varied populous and wide demographics. This was a vendetta against a specific group and the gunman picked a location where there was a concentration of them.

Several news reports have mentioned that the guy had visited Disney Springs earlier. They speculate that he was scouting it as a potential target. To me this is just the news media looking for an angle. Something to get us to click on their story or keep watching TV. Especially by linking the Disney name to the story.

Think about it. The target he did pick wasn't a huge theme park with a varied populous and wide demographics. This was a vendetta against a specific group and the gunman picked a location where there was a concentration of them.

Isn't there one night a year at MK as well? Maybe the screenings (title of this thread) took that option off the (his) table?

Zero mass shootings in the UK last year. Only 2 in France in recent history I believe. 372 in America last year.

It depends how define mass shooting and how selective your memory is. Also, if you exclude a handful of urban centers (not excluded in the following graphic) in which criminals kill a lot of other criminals the U.S. homicide rate is similar to continental European rates.
If we use the FBI definition of mass public shooting, we get:

France-MPS-2009-to-2015.png

US-MPS-2009-through-2015.png

The U.S. has about 5 times the population of France.

Honestly, what scares me most is the train ride. Amtrak is so relaxed with security. No one checks anything at the Kissimmee station and maybe 1 in 20 are checked at NY Penn. it's unbelievable in this day and age.

People have been saying this is a problem since they started the increased screenings at security, causing a bigger bottleneck. Been 10 pages talking about it here in this thread alone.

Don't know if you took that offensively, I didn't intend it that way. I was actually laughing at myself because I really did think I had all bases covered. Apparently I 'forgot' to worry about that...although I'm sure it would have occurred to me before my next visit anyway.

There is no way logistically to check people differently than they are now. They could check at TTC but that's really the only place where it is going to be possible to add additional security areas.

It could be done. Anything can be done but boy it would cost a ton of money. More than it would be practicable There is a way to minimize the damage. Build bomb proof walls between the check points. You build it in a zigzag pattern so the blast doesn't take out the whole line. Without a roof the blast would be directed upward. Also spread out the check points to minimize damage. Get rid of the chock points.

We are scheduled to leave this sunday so I spoke to guest services yesterday about security, and they told me NO ONE was armed, not even the police on disney grounds...

And the truth is if what if someone gave up to line with suicide vest ? people are looking for guns and the obvious, but no one is really thinking outside of the box on this IMHO....

No one is armed on Disney property? I find that hard to believe and would VERY disappointed if that is true. How are you going to stop a lunatic with a gun? Say, let's love each other? Not going to work.

Just a question...
Why don't they do security screening before people board transportation?
That would prevent such a huge backlog of people in one concentrated area. Screen folks when they get into line before boarding the monorail at the hotels. Screen folks when getting into line before boarding the boats. At some of the hotels, I am sure they could design the waiting areas for the buses to have one entrance with a variety of exits to screen before boarding. Obviously, some of the resorts can't accommodate that, so those buses should drop off in a different space where the screening could occur. For the cars/parking lots, maybe there is a way to move the screening further away from the gates in order to keep the access separate....
I know the costs of the screening would skyrocket because of the personnel/devices required, but the backlog would be much smaller and the wait time to enter would likely decrease. Plus, if there was a problem, there would be fewer guests exposed.

I totally agree I was thinking the same thing myself! It does not take a genius to realize that entry into the parks would not be the most vulnerable point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter