Is Walt Disney World going to 100% security screenings at the parks?

Yeah.... And pledge his allegiance to ISIS.

What's the point? I never said he was a foreigner.

MG
Yes he did pledge his allegiance to Isis however he wasn't an active Isis member who is from the Middle East and he bought his weapons legally in the US. I would consider this a hate crime. His father did say his son was upset by the sight of seeing to men touching each other.

Yes he did pledge his allegiance to Isis however he wasn't an active Isis member who is from the Middle East and he bought his weapons legally in the US. I would consider this a hate crime. His father did say his son was upset by the sight of seeing to men touching each other.
You can consider it anything you want. Isis specifically asks for lone wolf attacks. The guy calls 911 to pledge allegiance to Isis, screams Allah Akbar, then shoots the place up. Law enforcement including the FBI classify it as terrorism.

No offense to you, but I'll go with the FBI's classification.

MG

In this case it's really one in the same... The Islamic extremists hate what we stand for, and hate that we accept homosexuality.

They hate infidels. It's all a hate crime.

MG

You can consider it anything you want. Isis specifically asks for lone wolf attacks. The guy calls 911 to pledge allegiance to Isis, screams Allah Akbar, then shoots the place up. Law enforcement including the FBI classify it as terrorism.

No offense to you, but I'll go with the FBI's classification.

MG
It is terrorism but wouldn't it be domestic terrorism? Since he is a US citizen.

Yes it would be "domestic" since he was a citizen, but the motivation (unlike Timothy McVeigh for example) was Islamic extremism. That, by definition, includes hatred of homosexuals.

MG
I am not disagreeing with you in that Islamic extremism includes hatred of homosexuals. I'm just trying to point out facts that he is a US citizen. I think some are getting confused by that in the media and various places.

I am not disagreeing with you in that Islamic extremism includes hatred of homosexuals. I'm just trying to point out facts that he is a US citizen. I think some are getting confused by that in the media and various places.
I actually think we mostly agree here, but I prefer to call it by a different name.
It's just my belief that we need to identify it before we can fix it. Calling something "workplace violence" or "hate crime" may technically be correct, but it does not address the underlying motivation. That motivation is Islamic extremism.

MG

I imagine that Disney is looking at ways to increase security/screening at Disney Springs now. According to CNN and the shooting in Orlando, "Cell phone tower data indicated he spent several hours Saturday at Disney Springs -- the shopping and entertainment complex inside the Walt Disney World Resort -- just prior to the attack, law enforcement officials said."

No one is armed on Disney property? I find that hard to believe and would VERY disappointed if that is true. How are you going to stop a lunatic with a gun? Say, let's love each other? Not going to work.

Don't believe it because its not true. There are Orange and Osceola County Police officers on property that are armed. There are also FHP officers who are armed.

There are also many law enforcement officers that visit WDW with their families who are armed.

Don't believe it because its not true. There are Orange and Osceola County Police officers on property that are armed. There are also FHP officers who are armed.
And I'm sure there are undercover officers inside the parks armed.

Longtime reader. The security getting into the parks is doable. I really like the idea a out TTC security checks and then direct access to alleviate the bottleneck at the gates. IMO, the biggest point of threat isn't DS, or getting into the parks (or while in them), it is getting out!!!! The massive crowds leaving after fireworks!?!?! Waiting for buses, ferries, monorail?!?!? It is dark, hurried, insanely crowded!!!! A terrorist need only to walk up from the contemporary after the nightly shows.... they would not even need to try to get in or even get close to any existing security points

Longtime reader. The security getting into the parks is doable. I really like the idea a out TTC security checks and then direct access to alleviate the bottleneck at the gates. IMO, the biggest point of threat isn't DS, or getting into the parks (or while in them), it is getting out!!!! The massive crowds leaving after fireworks!?!?! Waiting for buses, ferries, monorail?!?!? It is dark, hurried, insanely crowded!!!! A terrorist need only to walk up from the contemporary after the nightly shows.... they would not even need to try to get in or even get close to any existing security points

This would be a good time to hear from someone that was in the parks on 9/11, with the parks closing, they actually went through this.

I'm interested to hear their story.

This would be a good time to hear from someone that was in the parks on 9/11, with the parks closing, they actually went through this.

Except there was no lead in the air-that changes things.

I don't recall there being too much of anything interesting going on. Pretty ordinary and things generally reset a day or two later.
I remember the primary concern being access to airports to get home...to be honest.

I also remove the most prophetic commentary on the US/world response Being from the international workers/visitors.

All opinion - others may disagree....

Increased security screening GOOD. The mistake, which we also have at US airports: concentrating people WAITING to be screened in close, packed areas. Those areas just become targets.

Now - to defeat a criminal? THINK like a criminal. By park.....

1) DS is sadly a disaster, and will remain one. By it's nature? I can't find any effective way for WDW to "screen" this, anymore than anyone could "screen" any open City attraction :(.
2) EPCOT, AK, and HS have a gift.... ROOM before the Main gate. Security Screening COULD be dispersed, to avoid major targets "waiting to be screened".
3) This brings us to the MK.... and the MK is a problem. The area between the lake and Main Gate is VERY small. However - I believe Security Screening COULD be dispersed to...
a) Bus arrival - large unused spaces. Incorporate with the walking path from the Contemporary.
b) TTC boat departure to the MK, AT TTC.
c) Monorail debarkation prior to ramp exit.
The MK was designed, land use wise, LONG before any of this cropped up :(. And it just does NOT have enough land space right in front of the front gate, to accommodate anything but a highly concentrated MASS of targets. Not a complaint... an observation. WDW is going to have to really WORK to do a good job of dispersal at the MK :(.

Entire point: enhanced security screening is a GOOD thing.... my wife and I will need to wait longer, and it's OK. What is NOT good is missing the point, and allowing large target crowds to gather in FRONT of "Security". This does not work... it's one of the issues that Paris just faced. What is imperative is to DENY a terrorist any large, concentrated group of targets.

Again - all opinion.... if I sat on the Disney Board? I would IMMEDIATELY be pushing for a new hire: a veteran Security Expert with a resume including Security Operations/Direction from the State of Israel, or at least in that region. There is no political comment here.... it is a SITUATIONAL comment. Put a man, or women, in charge that has a proven track record dealing with Middle Eastern Terrorism.

Again - all personal opinion, you could be right, I could be wrong... please do not quote the post, and expect any sort of fight.... I simply will not do that, respecting this board.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter