• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is this realistic?

The CEO ended up telling me that the feds (from the inspection) told her that the position needs to be filled by a doctor. She sounded skeptical but I'm just going to let it go. As for the track... there are a lot of people around. lol

I'm proud of him. :) And I know I can do a half if I actually set my mind to it. I would like to get some more of this weight off first though.

Maybe it is time to either start experimenting with shoes (work and exercise) or go see someone so you aren't in constant pain?

I'm glad you foot feels better. I hope your speedwork goes well today!

I got my husband out and we did 2 miles this morning. I'm hanging in tracking and so is he so that's something.

I think I have him convinced to take a cruise next year in the end of June. It ends on July 3rd (his birthday) so I was telling him we should find somewhere to go to watch an awesome fireworks show on the 4th. I was joking and said we should go to Disney and he said ok. I really doubt that will happen, but it would be a lot of fun.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Not the best news about the job but you weren't sure if you wanted it anyway so hopefully you aren't too disappointed?

I know you can do a 1/2 marathon too. And now that your husband is on board I see you both dropping some weight in the next few months too.

I got out and did my track workout today. I was scheduled for 7 miles but only got to 4 miles before the foot hurt again. I could have kept going but I decided to cut my losses. On the positive side, my pace is getting quicker. Now if I could only get my long runs in too it could even be better. :mad:

As for the shoes. I found out my running sneakers, which are like drops of heaven, come in all black so I could wear them to work. My problem is I don't know if they will fix the problem and they are $150 each pair. I say that because I need another pair to run in as well because I will have to break them in before my races start soon. I am almost positive the pain is from standing all day because my left hurts more than my right and I always put all my weight on the left foot.

Awesome news on getting your husband out for the 2 miles and getting him to agree to a vacation. If he isn't up for Disney but will do a cruise maybe you can get him to do a Disney cruise.

Just stopping in for my accountability post. Today was a bike day and I did just that. 13.36 miles. My foot still hurts. I may be calling the doctor tomorrow, it will depend how things feel when I wake up. I don't think it is injured, just PF, but I would feel better checking it out to be sure. I just don't know when I will be able to get in there.

Not the best news about the job but you weren't sure if you wanted it anyway so hopefully you aren't too disappointed?

I know you can do a 1/2 marathon too. And now that your husband is on board I see you both dropping some weight in the next few months too.

Awesome news on getting your husband out for the 2 miles and getting him to agree to a vacation. If he isn't up for Disney but will do a cruise maybe you can get him to do a Disney cruise.

Definitely not upset about the job. It just didn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling if you know what I mean.

I don't know why but I'm just not interested in the Disney cruises. I think it is mostly due to the cost. Why pay more when I can get pretty much the same thing a lot cheaper?

Just stopping in for my accountability post. Today was a bike day and I did just that. 13.36 miles. My foot still hurts. I may be calling the doctor tomorrow, it will depend how things feel when I wake up. I don't think it is injured, just PF, but I would feel better checking it out to be sure. I just don't know when I will be able to get in there.

I'm glad you are going to get it checked out. Hopefully they will be able to help you out.

I'm just hanging in here until I go on vacation in a couple of weeks. I'm still tracking and trying to at least get some walking in each week. It seems to be all I'm interested in doing at the moment. Scale is continuing to go down. About 4 lbs in the last couple of weeks. :)

Definitely not upset about the job. It just didn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling if you know what I mean.

I don't know why but I'm just not interested in the Disney cruises. I think it is mostly due to the cost. Why pay more when I can get pretty much the same thing a lot cheaper?

I'm glad you are going to get it checked out. Hopefully they will be able to help you out.

I'm just hanging in here until I go on vacation in a couple of weeks. I'm still tracking and trying to at least get some walking in each week. It seems to be all I'm interested in doing at the moment. Scale is continuing to go down. About 4 lbs in the last couple of weeks. :)

I am glad you're not upset about the job.

I am not all that interested in a cruise in general. If I were to do one I think it would be Disney. My theory is though, if I am spending $5000 on a vacation why wouldn't I just go to the parks. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I love it there so why not keep going.

I went to the doctor today. I had X-rays taken to be sure. The doctor thinks the pain is PF. The X-ray tech let me see the shots and she said she sees no breaks. I have some small heel spurs but not breaks. So the doctor said I will have to deal with the pain as long as I want to keep running.

Tomorrow is supposed to be a 14 mile long run. That isn't going to happen. I haven't done longer than 9 this year yet so I will have to build it up slower than that. But I think I am going to do the bike for a couple hours tomorrow and try to give the feet a rest for the week. Then I will have to just be smart about it all. Before my appt I was thinking what would happen if I had a break and couldn't run for a couple months and it bummed me out. So I figured it will be better to just have fun with it than it will be to kill myself trying to qualify for Boston this year. If it happens, great. If not, I have many more years to do it. I can't give up my exercise. It makes me too happy.

So that's my deal. I hope everyone had a good night.

FYI, I get jealous when other people are planning their trips too. My wife was teasing me these past couple days. She was on the fence on taking the kids to Disney next month. But, she has decided against it. She has a million reasons, but says she would prefer the fall/winter, when temps are more tolerable. So, I got excited thinking I might be going sooner than expected.
Me, too! I have some young circus friends who seem to be perpetually on the move, not overly concerned with settling down and doing the career thing and I see their trips and half-wish that I'd been that carefree in my early 20s.

I have to say, I want to ride the Mine Train to see what it's all about, but I don't care to all at the same time. I guess if I am there and the line isn't long I might try it but if the line is huge I will keep on a walkin.
There were moments of cool. I think I'd enjoy it more a second time now that I don't have all the hype to believe.

I got out and did my hills. I was scheduled for 7 miles and did 6.6. That's just because these are all new routes for me and I just didn't plan a long enough route. But it went well. My foot didn't hurt bad during the run. But once I got to work and stood on it all day it was killing me. It hurts right now sitting here. Thankfully tomorrow is a bike day.
I do that often - I'll think I'm doing 4 miles and come home to realize I had only run 2.5. Then again, I've planned a 5 mile run and ended up running 6.

The CEO ended up telling me that the feds (from the inspection) told her that the position needs to be filled by a doctor. She sounded skeptical but I'm just going to let it go. As for the track... there are a lot of people around. lol
I guess things always work out one way or another.

As for the track and the people...there is this (and yeah, I know...she's young, she's a model....yeah, yeah...but she doesn't look like people think of as a serious runner.)

I got my husband out and we did 2 miles this morning. I'm hanging in tracking and so is he so that's something.
Yay!

I think I have him convinced to take a cruise next year in the end of June. It ends on July 3rd (his birthday) so I was telling him we should find somewhere to go to watch an awesome fireworks show on the 4th. I was joking and said we should go to Disney and he said ok. I really doubt that will happen, but it would be a lot of fun.
That would be fun! And there are lots of non-Disney cruises that leave from the same port. I'm sort of on the same page as you about cruises. I don't like the big cruise ships either. If I do a non-Navy one (and I will, someday), it will be on one of the little tiny cruise ships that island hop or a river cruise in Europe.

I got out and did my track workout today. I was scheduled for 7 miles but only got to 4 miles before the foot hurt again.
I'm sort of confused by your track workouts. I don't think I ever did more than 6 miles total over the course of a track workout with either group, and that included a mile warm-up and cool down. I've been lazy on track workouts this season since I can't make it to evening track workouts. I've been making do with fartleks during my regular runs for speedwork.

The Half on Sunday went pretty well. You have to respect a race whose motto is "Worth the Hurt". It certainly was worth the pain, but my quads and right hip are telling me that they'll be reminding me for a while. I got to hook up with a small group of RWB members, from San Francisco and New York City, and ran the first couple of miles with one of them. That's when my stomach told me that I hadn't taken good enough care of it that morning, so I lost about 5 minutes waiting in line for a porta-potty at mile 2.5. Best five minutes lost ever though...I never would have made it if I hadn't stopped when I did. The hills started at mile 5 and didn't stop. The Golden Gate Bridge was awesome, even with it half covered in fog, and then when that ended around Mile 10 it got really hard. There was a huge uphill that I ran about 3/4 of the way until I walked, then an equally big downhill before it settled into an uphill...flat...uphill repeat for the last three miles. I finished in 2:23, though, and had I not stopped for the bathroom break, I might have actually equaled my PR. All-in-all, a great day.

I'm sort of confused by your track workouts. I don't think I ever did more than 6 miles total over the course of a track workout with either group, and that included a mile warm-up and cool down. I've been lazy on track workouts this season since I can't make it to evening track workouts. I've been making do with fartleks during my regular runs for speedwork.

The Half on Sunday went pretty well. You have to respect a race whose motto is "Worth the Hurt". It certainly was worth the pain, but my quads and right hip are telling me that they'll be reminding me for a while. I got to hook up with a small group of RWB members, from San Francisco and New York City, and ran the first couple of miles with one of them. That's when my stomach told me that I hadn't taken good enough care of it that morning, so I lost about 5 minutes waiting in line for a porta-potty at mile 2.5. Best five minutes lost ever though...I never would have made it if I hadn't stopped when I did. The hills started at mile 5 and didn't stop. The Golden Gate Bridge was awesome, even with it half covered in fog, and then when that ended around Mile 10 it got really hard. There was a huge uphill that I ran about 3/4 of the way until I walked, then an equally big downhill before it settled into an uphill...flat...uphill repeat for the last three miles. I finished in 2:23, though, and had I not stopped for the bathroom break, I might have actually equaled my PR. All-in-all, a great day.

What are you confused about, the distance? I found the training plan I am doing on Runner's World and it was for improving your time, which is what I am trying to do. It seemed like a lot to me too but it's not as bad as I thought. My longest track run, according to this plan, is 13 miles. But I figure if I am trying to get a good POT for the marathon then I will need to run fast for 13.1 miles anyway.

I am glad you had a good race. It is one I want to do for sure at some point in the future. I have always wanted to go to San Francisco so why not run a race some day.

What are you confused about, the distance? I found the training plan I am doing on Runner's World and it was for improving your time, which is what I am trying to do. It seemed like a lot to me too but it's not as bad as I thought. My longest track run, according to this plan, is 13 miles. But I figure if I am trying to get a good POT for the marathon then I will need to run fast for 13.1 miles anyway.

I am glad you had a good race. It is one I want to do for sure at some point in the future. I have always wanted to go to San Francisco so why not run a race some day.
That's just a lot of miles on the track. Are you doing long intervals, 800s, ladders? What sort of workout are you doing?

I came back real quick to share pics of the race - it focuses on the Full marathon, but it's the same course.

I am not all that interested in a cruise in general. If I were to do one I think it would be Disney. My theory is though, if I am spending $5000 on a vacation why wouldn't I just go to the parks. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I love it there so why not keep going.

I went to the doctor today. I had X-rays taken to be sure. The doctor thinks the pain is PF. The X-ray tech let me see the shots and she said she sees no breaks. I have some small heel spurs but not breaks. So the doctor said I will have to deal with the pain as long as I want to keep running.

I liked Disney but there are so many things I want to see and experience, Disney is just the tip of the iceberg.

I disagree with your Dr. There are some things you can do. Stretches, anti-inflammatories and there are actual braces you can wear to bed to reduce the amount of pain in the morning. It may not fix it completely but it should help. Plus PF is not a life sentence normally. It can come and go. I do know of people getting cortisone injections as well. Just my 2 cents.

Me, too! I have some young circus friends who seem to be perpetually on the move, not overly concerned with settling down and doing the career thing and I see their trips and half-wish that I'd been that carefree in my early 20s.

As for the track and the people...there is this (and yeah, I know...she's young, she's a model....yeah, yeah...but she doesn't look like people think of as a serious runner.)

That would be fun! And there are lots of non-Disney cruises that leave from the same port. I'm sort of on the same page as you about cruises. I don't like the big cruise ships either. If I do a non-Navy one (and I will, someday), it will be on one of the little tiny cruise ships that island hop or a river cruise in Europe.

I have always wanted to travel for as long as I could remember. I almost joined the navy and one of the reasons was to travel. lol I don't mind the bigger cruise ships for now however as I do/see more places that will likely change.

I think that that woman is amazing. And she looks pretty much like I do. Almost makes me want to buy that magazine. :) It is nice to see someone other than a person with a 6 pack getting recognition.

The race location looked amazing. Someday I will get there. And a million other places I want to go. :D I'm glad you had a good time despite the bathroom break.

I did a weigh in today and I'm down 4.4 lb in 2 weeks. I'm seeing results and am very happy with that. At work a friend asked if I wanted to join an 8 week weight loss challenge. The person that loses the highest percentage of their body weight wins the pot. I'm still thinking about it... It would be a good motivator but it is in the community where I work and I'm not sure if it is appropriate.

I'm just checking in - not much news to report except that I've now booked all my ADR's - I'm very excited about that :)

I was off for a couple of days last week and the week before but I'm back to regular work days until the last week of August when I'm off for two weeks. I've still been going to the pool every work day morning but other than that I haven't done much.

Having been on a Disney cruise as well as a non Disney cruise I will say the Disney cruise was better but I'm not sure it was the $$$$ we paid better. I would go on another one again though and Castaway Cay day/pirate night was great!

That's just a lot of miles on the track. Are you doing long intervals, 800s, ladders? What sort of workout are you doing?

I came back real quick to share pics of the race - it focuses on the Full marathon, but it's the same course.

I just try to get through each mile as fast as I can while trying to keep the pace consistent. I don't want to do the first mile at 6:00 and then go down to 10:00 by the last mile. I am trying to work on a run/walk interval that helps with this. I have heard Jeff Galloway recently say the smaller intervals works best.

I have clicked on your link a few times to see the pics and it freezes my browser every time. No idea why. I would like to see the pics but I am not ignoring them for sure.

I liked Disney but there are so many things I want to see and experience, Disney is just the tip of the iceberg.

I disagree with your Dr. There are some things you can do. Stretches, anti-inflammatories and there are actual braces you can wear to bed to reduce the amount of pain in the morning. It may not fix it completely but it should help. Plus PF is not a life sentence normally. It can come and go. I do know of people getting cortisone injections as well. Just my 2 cents.

I did a weigh in today and I'm down 4.4 lb in 2 weeks. I'm seeing results and am very happy with that. At work a friend asked if I wanted to join an 8 week weight loss challenge. The person that loses the highest percentage of their body weight wins the pot. I'm still thinking about it... It would be a good motivator but it is in the community where I work and I'm not sure if it is appropriate.

I want to see other places too. I agree. Eventually I will do those too.

I have been dealing with the PF for a while. I do my stretches. I massage them all the time. Now I have added the inserts into my work shoes and it seems to be helping. I don't know that I could fall asleep with those braces on. I can't even sleep with socks on. I don't think cortisone will help either. I got them in my shoulders before surgery and they did nothing for me. I'll be fine. I just need to adjust my goals and be smarter now.

4.4 lbs in 2 weeks is excellent. Keep it up. How much will the pot be for the challenge at work? I wouldn't see why it wouldn't be appropriate unless you are their boss but even then it is a weight loss challenge, your not betting at a casino. But you know the situation better than me.

I'm just checking in - not much news to report except that I've now booked all my ADR's - I'm very excited about that :)

That's news if you ask me. I know I was excited to make mine.

Tomorrow is supposed to be a 14 mile long run. That isn't going to happen. I haven't done longer than 9 this year yet so I will have to build it up slower than that. But I think I am going to do the bike for a couple hours tomorrow and try to give the feet a rest for the week. Then I will have to just be smart about it all. Before my appt I was thinking what would happen if I had a break and couldn't run for a couple months and it bummed me out. So I figured it will be better to just have fun with it than it will be to kill myself trying to qualify for Boston this year. If it happens, great. If not, I have many more years to do it. I can't give up my exercise. It makes me too happy.
Glad to hear that there isn't a break or something worse. PF will go away if you take care of it, the foot strengthening exercises, stretches, and the brace really worked for me. I didn't sleep all night in them - I kept it on for a few hours, then removed them in the middle of the night. It felt weird at first, but I got through it and thankfully, mine has been gone for a few months.

I think that that woman is amazing. And she looks pretty much like I do. Almost makes me want to buy that magazine. :) It is nice to see someone other than a person with a 6 pack getting recognition.
And she runs in Central Park!

The race location looked amazing. Someday I will get there. And a million other places I want to go.
SF is almost a home town race for me, but it's different on foot with thousands of other people doing crazy things.

I'm not really a fan of challenges like that. Seems like it encourages bouts of extreme behavior and then lets you slack off after, all while being proud of yourself.

Having been on a Disney cruise as well as a non Disney cruise I will say the Disney cruise was better but I'm not sure it was the $$$$ we paid better. I would go on another one again though and Castaway Cay day/pirate night was great!
Cruise ships are big petri dishes and the bigger they are, the worse they are. I'm not going to deal with Norovirus again - and I got that from a guy who came over from the aircraft carrier for a few hours. UGH. And I'm not a fan of their safety procedures. All mariner stuff...I'd rather be on something with fewer people and higher quality.

I just try to get through each mile as fast as I can while trying to keep the pace consistent. I don't want to do the first mile at 6:00 and then go down to 10:00 by the last mile. I am trying to work on a run/walk interval that helps with this. I have heard Jeff Galloway recently say the smaller intervals works best.
So you're doing one mile intervals? How long do you rest in between?

Did a circus class yesterday as cross training and then ran 4.5 miles with the pup this morning. My legs are still unhappy from Sunday, especially my left quad and both shins. Tomorrow is a more chill day and I'm planning to do some bodyweight strength training during the day if I can pull away. The challenge is that my new boss started this morning and there's a lot to deal with. So, here's hoping :-)

I was off for a couple of days last week and the week before but I'm back to regular work days until the last week of August when I'm off for two weeks. I've still been going to the pool every work day morning but other than that I haven't done much.

That's the thing. I don't want to pay more $$ for the same experience. I've only been on one cruise before so I'm still learning what I do and don't like. :)

And woohoo for ADRs!!!

I have been dealing with the PF for a while. I do my stretches. I massage them all the time. Now I have added the inserts into my work shoes and it seems to be helping. I don't know that I could fall asleep with those braces on. I can't even sleep with socks on. I don't think cortisone will help either. I got them in my shoulders before surgery and they did nothing for me. I'll be fine. I just need to adjust my goals and be smarter now.

4.4 lbs in 2 weeks is excellent. Keep it up. How much will the pot be for the challenge at work? I wouldn't see why it wouldn't be appropriate unless you are their boss but even then it is a weight loss challenge, your not betting at a casino. But you know the situation better than me.

*knock on wood* My PF is in remission. I had to change shoes and use the inserts. If I wear something like flip flops (even the good ones) for too long I will have some pain but otherwise I am good. I hope things get better for you. I'm not an advocate for cortisone injections, but sometimes they have their place.

I decided against the weight loss challenge. Mostly because some of the people involved are my patients. I will just keep bumping along.

And she runs in Central Park!
And this is where the "she's a model" part comes into play for me. lol

I'm not really a fan of challenges like that. Seems like it encourages bouts of extreme behavior and then lets you slack off after, all while being proud of yourself.

Cruise ships are big petri dishes and the bigger they are, the worse they are. I'm not going to deal with Norovirus again - and I got that from a guy who came over from the aircraft carrier for a few hours. UGH. And I'm not a fan of their safety procedures. All mariner stuff...I'd rather be on something with fewer people and higher quality.

Did a circus class yesterday as cross training and then ran 4.5 miles with the pup this morning. My legs are still unhappy from Sunday, especially my left quad and both shins. Tomorrow is a more chill day and I'm planning to do some bodyweight strength training during the day if I can pull away. The challenge is that my new boss started this morning and there's a lot to deal with. So, here's hoping :-)

That is another reason I chose not to participate. I would rather just keep going at a snails pace.

Doing what I do, germs don't phase me. I've been blessed with a strong immune system and rarely get sick. (again knock on wood) But I can see your point, especially knowing what you do which is way more than me. I'm happy being one of the masses at this point.

Good luck with your new boss!

Glad to hear that there isn't a break or something worse. PF will go away if you take care of it, the foot strengthening exercises, stretches, and the brace really worked for me. I didn't sleep all night in them - I kept it on for a few hours, then removed them in the middle of the night. It felt weird at first, but I got through it and thankfully, mine has been gone for a few months.

So you're doing one mile intervals? How long do you rest in between?

I am not too worried about the foot. I only went to the doctor to make sure nothing was broken. It is unusual for me to be proactive like that, I usually do the stubborn thing and push through it. So, I was being smart in this case. Now that I know it isn't broken I will do my stretches. I have been wearing my inserts in my shoes and it's helping.

That is the exact reason I have no interest in a cruise. I am not going to spend more money for a vacation to increase my chances of getting sick.

I may be doing my track work wrong. So I am prepared for you to tell me that. I don't really take a break in between miles. The reason is, I am trying to go based on heart rate. I was listening to one of my running podcasts (I can't remember which right now) and a reputable runner said this is how he trained. He said he does a similar track workout and it just made sense to me. His reasoning was that you need to get used to your body running at a certain heart rate to get your body used to it. In the 3 track workouts I have done my time has dropped by about :25 per mile pace. It seems to be working, this all while I am adding miles.

I bet the legs are sore after that race. Glad you got in another circus workout. It must mean you shoulders are doing well? I hope things go smoothly with the new boss. Good luck.

I decided against the weight loss challenge. Mostly because some of the people involved are my patients. I will just keep bumping along.

That is another reason I chose not to participate. I would rather just keep going at a snails pace.

Makes sense why you decided not to do the challenge. I didn't know they were patients of yours. 4.4 lbs in 2 weeks isn't snail's pace. That's really good progress. You do that pace for 2 more months and you're looking at about 15 more lbs, roughly. That's good. I haven't lost any since September. You're way faster than me.

I don't know why but my response to StayCool is showing up in the quoted message. I tried to edit it but it isn't working, sorry.

Oh, yeah. That's a good decision.

And this is where the "she's a model" part comes into play for me. lol
There's an eye roll emoticon right? Imagine it here. :-)

Doing what I do, germs don't phase me. I've been blessed with a strong immune system and rarely get sick. (again knock on wood) But I can see your point, especially knowing what you do which is way more than me. I'm happy being one of the masses at this point.
I don't get sick much, but I never, ever want to go through Norovirus again. That was miserable.

I may be doing my track work wrong. So I am prepared for you to tell me that. I don't really take a break in between miles. The reason is, I am trying to go based on heart rate. I was listening to one of my running podcasts (I can't remember which right now) and a reputable runner said this is how he trained. He said he does a similar track workout and it just made sense to me. His reasoning was that you need to get used to your body running at a certain heart rate to get your body used to it. In the 3 track workouts I have done my time has dropped by about :25 per mile pace. It seems to be working, this all while I am adding miles.
Nah, I'm not going to tell you're you're doing it wrong, I just wanted to figure out what you were doing because it's different from other track workouts I've seen. If it works for you, you should keep doing it.

It must mean you shoulders are doing well? I hope things go smoothly with the new boss. Good luck.
Shoulder is doing pretty well, but I'm still going lightly. The new boss is a really good guy, now I just need to get my deputy to chill out a little. He's also a really good guy, but training a fighter pilot is harder than I'd expected...

Nah, I'm not going to tell you're you're doing it wrong, I just wanted to figure out what you were doing because it's different from other track workouts I've seen. If it works for you, you should keep doing it.

Shoulder is doing pretty well, but I'm still going lightly. The new boss is a really good guy, now I just need to get my deputy to chill out a little. He's also a really good guy, but training a fighter pilot is harder than I'd expected...

Well, sometimes I question if I am doing the right thing. I am making progress but of course I question if I did it the other way I could be making even more. There is just so much info out there and so many opinions on how to do things that you can never know. But my first couple miles at my last track workout was averaging 7:39. This is just about where I need to be. If I can just keep that pace and build up the miles I may have a chance to reach my goal.

I guess the good way to look at your situation is, at least your not having to train a Navy Seal. That may be even harder.

Well, sometimes I question if I am doing the right thing. I am making progress but of course I question if I did it the other way I could be making even more. There is just so much info out there and so many opinions on how to do things that you can never know. But my first couple miles at my last track workout was averaging 7:39. This is just about where I need to be. If I can just keep that pace and build up the miles I may have a chance to reach my goal.

I guess the good way to look at your situation is, at least your not having to train a Navy Seal. That may be even harder.
That's a great time - holding it will be a challenge but it sounds like you're tracking well. I figure we all have different bodies and capacities - if you find something that works for you, consider yourself lucky and keep it up.

BTW, I think I agree on shorter intervals. I started distance running doing 7:1 run:walk and am down to 4:1 because it works better for me. Part of that may be that I'm just in better shape, but I think the shorter bursts of high intensity are easier to maintain. Right now, I'm sort of alternating my shorter intervals between walking and just slowing my pace. I ran most of the SF race that way, and the Cherry Blossom 10 miler. It reduces my pace and doesn't seem to have really hurt my overall feeling during and after the run.

I did six and a half miles Friday morning and was supposed to do another six (it's a back down week) today but I just could NOT get out of bed this morning. The super long work days, travel, and a particularly brutal strength workout on Thursday took their toll. I may run tomorrow, I may just stick with my plan to cross train (I have an hour's circus conditioning class scheduled and that will HURT). Monday it's back to the regular 3 days a week of running plan though.

That's a great time - holding it will be a challenge but it sounds like you're tracking well. I figure we all have different bodies and capacities - if you find something that works for you, consider yourself lucky and keep it up.

BTW, I think I agree on shorter intervals. I started distance running doing 7:1 run:walk and am down to 4:1 because it works better for me. Part of that may be that I'm just in better shape, but I think the shorter bursts of high intensity are easier to maintain. Right now, I'm sort of alternating my shorter intervals between walking and just slowing my pace. I ran most of the SF race that way, and the Cherry Blossom 10 miler. It reduces my pace and doesn't seem to have really hurt my overall feeling during and after the run.

I did six and a half miles Friday morning and was supposed to do another six (it's a back down week) today but I just could NOT get out of bed this morning. The super long work days, travel, and a particularly brutal strength workout on Thursday took their toll. I may run tomorrow, I may just stick with my plan to cross train (I have an hour's circus conditioning class scheduled and that will HURT). Monday it's back to the regular 3 days a week of running plan though.

I know maintaining that pace will be hard. But, as long as I can keep my foot from getting worse I have 2 months to try.

You know what's funny about the intervals. When Jeff talks about it he means 30 second:30 second. He claims that is usually the best ratio based on his years of research. I think it would drive me crazy to do that interval.

I hate those days when you can't get out of bed. But, its your body's way of saying you need a break, or maybe even your mind needing to just take a break.

I got back out on my first run in about a week this morning. My foot hurt at first, then during the run it felt better. It hurt during the day at work but not to bad. When I wake up tomorrow it should be interesting. But it felt so good to be back out there. I only did 4.38 miles. Now I need to work on catching up on my mileage and make up some ground.

That is a lot of stress on the body. I hope you are feeling a bit more recovered today.

I got back out on my first run in about a week this morning. My foot hurt at first, then during the run it felt better. It hurt during the day at work but not to bad. When I wake up tomorrow it should be interesting. But it felt so good to be back out there. I only did 4.38 miles. Now I need to work on catching up on my mileage and make up some ground.

I'm glad your foot felt better!! :)

I had to get up super early this morning to take my husband to work (his truck died, long story) and when I got home I knew there was no way I would be able to go back to sleep. So I got my butt out this morning and did my loop. I haven't walked it in a long time and I could feel it today. I used my fitbit to track it and I think the distance is way off. RunKeeper always said it was 5.4 miles. Fitbit said it was 6.35 miles. I think I will have to drive my car and see what it says. Either way today was my fastest time. I beat my best time by 4 minutes. So at least that is something. :) My hips and right foot were pretty sore for the last couple of miles but it went away pretty much as soon as I cooled down.

Happy Sunday!

You know what's funny about the intervals. When Jeff talks about it he means 30 second:30 second. He claims that is usually the best ratio based on his years of research. I think it would drive me crazy to do that interval.
I know he does, but I can't do that either. 4:1 is working for me.

I hate those days when you can't get out of bed. But, its your body's way of saying you need a break, or maybe even your mind needing to just take a break.
I think both needed the break. I took a long nap, and still went to bed early Saturday...and slept late on Sunday. I'm hoping this week will be a bit more settled than the last was. The new boss will only be working one job instead of two, and I'll only be staffing one boss instead of two.

Glad you made it back out and it felt decent. PF is so awful.

So I got my butt out this morning and did my loop. I haven't walked it in a long time and I could feel it today. I used my fitbit to track it and I think the distance is way off. RunKeeper always said it was 5.4 miles. Fitbit said it was 6.35 miles. I think I will have to drive my car and see what it says. Either way today was my fastest time. I beat my best time by 4 minutes. So at least that is something. :) My hips and right foot were pretty sore for the last couple of miles but it went away pretty much as soon as I cooled down.
Congrats! Great to hear that you're losing weight and cutting time...both good signs on progress.

I didn't run this morning, I slept in again. I did do my circus workout and that was killer. I do like full body strength workouts and I'll get in five tomorrow morning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter