Is it normal to not remember much of the race

Terapin

DIS Veteran
I did my first marathon at WDW last month and I am having a hard time recalling much of it! I can't really put the race in proper sequence, or really remember much of it. Is it typical to be so zoned out? I remember parts of it clear as day, but much of it is foggy. I remember finishing like it was yesterday, and felt fine on finishing, just don't have a lot of memories!?!

There's a lot of good videos on Youtube of the marathon,try watching some of those as it might bring back some of the memories.

I did my first marathon at WDW last month and I am having a hard time recalling much of it! I can't really put the race in proper sequence, or really remember much of it. Is it typical to be so zoned out? I remember parts of it clear as day, but much of it is foggy. I remember finishing like it was yesterday, and felt fine on finishing, just don't have a lot of memories!?!

I hope it is normal or they may commit the both of us.

This year was my second. I remember last year's finish better than this, but this year remember entering Epcot and becoming overwhelmed much like when I finished last year.

Ok good! I guess I did a good job of listening to my motto: "stop thinking, just run!". I can get quite anxious while running if I get my brain getting all into the action, so I know I work at pushing away negative thoughts and just running.

I remember funny little bits, and hardly remember other things at all. Like most of WWOS is a blur. As was AK and most of HS. However I remember the long roads pretty well, MK, and the last long stretch of highway before going into the Epcot resort area. The last part of the race I remember well! Oh well, I got through it.

Also, do other people experience a little bit of emotional trauma after long races? It was soooooo hard emotionally/mentally in some places, and so physically painful at the end (my feet) that when I look back my pleasure and happiness with my accomplishment has a tinge of trauma to it, like many really big things in life do. Does that resonate with anyone? I guess it was from being at the end of my coping abilities, and in a fair bit of pain. It was kind of like childbirth in that regard!

Terapin said:

I think it all depends on how you approach the race and if you've been there before or not. When I'm racing hard for a new PR on a course that's new to me, I have a hard time remembering anything other than checking my watch to ensure I'm on pace. If I'm at Disney on a course I've run several times, I know where I'm going, am usually running and not racing, and can spend my time looking around and making memories. The harder I'm working, the less likely I am to remember anything beyond my effort.

I can remember some parts of the race course but I get what I call marathon brain. After Honolulu Marathon it took me 30 minutes to find my car because I forgot where I parked. This year forgot where I saw certain people along the course. So not just you.

I consider the term zoned in rather than zoned out. I am focused on what is ahead and around me so I don't have a miss-plant and mess up my knees.

Same thing happens when I ride my bike or drive. Sight seeing is not the priority for me, safety is. I don't let the forgetfulness bother me.

Having not done one yet, I bet it's a combo of both to many people. As John said, zoned in concentrating on your next step to make sure you plant your foot right, and zoned out when your mind of body start to get to a 'let's just stop' mindset and you block it out and just keep running.

Ok good! I guess I did a good job of listening to my motto: "stop thinking, just run!". I can get quite anxious while running if I get my brain getting all into the action, so I know I work at pushing away negative thoughts and just running.

I remember funny little bits, and hardly remember other things at all. Like most of WWOS is a blur. As was AK and most of HS. However I remember the long roads pretty well, MK, and the last long stretch of highway before going into the Epcot resort area. The last part of the race I remember well! Oh well, I got through it.

Also, do other people experience a little bit of emotional trauma after long races? It was soooooo hard emotionally/mentally in some places, and so physically painful at the end (my feet) that when I look back my pleasure and happiness with my accomplishment has a tinge of trauma to it, like many really big things in life do. Does that resonate with anyone? I guess it was from being at the end of my coping abilities, and in a fair bit of pain. It was kind of like childbirth in that regard!

::yes:: Yep, all of the above! I've raced 3 5Ks and the 10-Miler at WDW, and a couple local 5Ks near home... I can only remember bits and pieces of any of them. The WDW ones come back some after reading other people's reports/seeing videos and pics, but I also find myself a lot thinking, "Really - that was there?! I have no memory of that at all!" :rotfl:

I ran the TOT 10-Miler injured and spent much of the race in excruciating pain; I was pretty down for weeks afterward. It did feel like I'd been through a traumatic experience and I was proud to have finished, but kind of disillusioned because the race hadn't been anything like what I'd planned, if that makes sense.

It did feel like I'd been through a traumatic experience and I was proud to have finished, but kind of disillusioned because the race hadn't been anything like what I'd planned, if that makes sense.
This is how I felt after the marathon. Thanks for sharing.:goodvibes Everyone kept saying be proud you finished, and I was proud, but very disappointed and frustrated. I finished the race with "gas" left in the tank, but a back that would not cooperate--so ended up with a much slower pace than I ever imagined. Not every race is perfect, and of course it is an accomplishment to finish, and time brings perspective, but it can be a frustrating experience sometimes. Mostly what I remember of the race is how much my back hurt from WWoS to the finish. Fun times. ;)

If it wasn't for the pictures I have from the race I don't think I'd remember much of it. I was pretty much on auto-pilot the entire time...almost in a zen-like state. It was weird...but helpful because my mind was totally blank and I managed to NOT think about how much pain I was in. :thumbsup2

This is how I felt after the marathon. Thanks for sharing.:goodvibes Everyone kept saying be proud you finished, and I was proud, but very disappointed and frustrated. I finished the race with "gas" left in the tank, but a back that would not cooperate--so ended up with a much slower pace than I ever imagined. Not every race is perfect, and of course it is an accomplishment to finish, and time brings perspective, but it can be a frustrating experience sometimes. Mostly what I remember of the race is how much my back hurt from WWoS to the finish. Fun times. ;)

This. I also came back with disappointment from the marathon. It was weird. When I did my first half marathon at the Princess last Feb. I came back so excited and proud and I couldn't stop smiling for at least a week. I came back from the marathon feeling discouraged. Like I know I could have done so much better. I am proud that I completed my first full marathon, but it was not how I expected to finish it. I have since decided to do a "do-over" in Chicago this fall. I know I can be faster. Then I feel silly for feeling this way. You did it, you finished your first full marathon, Rocio! But yeah, there is still that disappointment that it was sooooo slow (for me). I have something to prove to myself. Nobody else. Just me.

I had a lot of blank spots in my memory initially the day of the race, but then looked through a lot of my pictures and that helped bring some back. Then, as we went to various parks over the next couple of days and we'd walk past some place we ran, I'd remember going by it on the run. Those things helped clear the fog a bit.

And funny about the childbirth analogy. I had told my husband somewhere around mile 22 or so that while I was happy I was doing this and glad I would finish, I think I was going to be a "one and done" marathoner. By Tuesday I was talking about going Goofy in 2015. :lmao:

This. I also came back with disappointment from the marathon. It was weird. When I did my first half marathon at the Princess last Feb. I came back so excited and proud and I couldn't stop smiling for at least a week. I came back from the marathon feeling discouraged. Like I know I could have done so much better. I am proud that I completed my first full marathon, but it was not how I expected to finish it. I have since decided to do a "do-over" in Chicago this fall. I know I can be faster. Then I feel silly for feeling this way. You did it, you finished your first full marathon, Rocio! But yeah, there is still that disappointment that it was sooooo slow (for me). I have something to prove to myself. Nobody else. Just me.

I understand this feeling. I felt that way after I ran my first. It was in Chicago and it was 87 degrees. I was soooo slow and had done so much training. I know people mean well when they say be proud because you finished but for me I had expectations and was really disappointed with myself. The good news...the next year I did the Marine Corp in about 47 degrees and took off an unbelievable amount of time!

I felt that way with the WDW. I had pr'd in most of my training and ended up running with a stomach bug. I did the half and couldn't remember anything about where we came into the Magic Kingdom the very next day when we went to the park. But I could remember where every port-a-potty was located in a ten mile radius!!:rotfl2:

Good luck with your next run; you can do it!:thumbsup2

I've been able to do a detailed race report because I took pictures along the way so I could piece the race back together. Although I have some pictures that I honestly don't remember taking or seeing! The other funny thing is that I took pictures of every mile marker of both the half and the full but I somehow missed mile 11 of the full. I just totally zoned into my race and realized I was at 11.4 on my Garmin. Never even saw it!
I don't run with a camera during non-Disney races and definitely can't remember the details.

Amanda

And funny about the childbirth analogy. I had told my husband somewhere around mile 22 or so that while I was happy I was doing this and glad I would finish, I think I was going to be a "one and done" marathoner. By Tuesday I was talking about going Goofy in 2015. :lmao:

Honestly childbirth was so much easier for me than the marathon. Childbirth for me took about 3 hour (20 min for my third) and there wasn't 20 training runs before the "event", that take me about 4 hours to complete. After the 2012 marathon, I said never again and probably wouldn't have run 2013 if my DS hadn't begged me to do it again with him.

I hope your do-over is a huge success.:goodvibes I will not do another full unless I can figure out what is going on with my back. Nothing is worth going through that again. I tried sitting down at the W tent after the marathon and it was so bad I couldn't sit until I hobbled back to the massage tent and let them "unlock" it.

After that I was fine. I got up and ran a mile the next morning and Mike and I went to the water park and went up and down all the stairs. I agree, I don't have anything to prove to anyone else, just myself. This was not about the temps for me that day--I finished with too much energy left. Honestly, unless the doctor/pt can help me figure out what is going on, I think I am done with long distance (longer than a 10k) running. I ran 9 miles on Saturday and I have been miserable all week. It's just not worth it anymore--to go through all that training and have a miserable experience and a miserable race.

I actually remember a lot of the race. Maybe because I wasn't "racing" it - I got sick two days before and was just glad that I made it to the start, let alone the finish!

I wish I had taken picture of every mile marker though, so I knew where all of the characters were!

I did finish about an hour and 45 minutes later than I had anticipated. I do alternate between disappointment and being grateful I even finished. But mostly, even finishing so much later, I consider it one of the best days of my life!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter