Is it normal to not remember much of the race

Discussion in 'Events/Competition' started by Terapin, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Princess Steph

Princess Steph Mouseketeer

I felt like this also! My knee started hurting at mile 2, at mile 25 I could no longer "run". I could walk and knew I would finish but I was going slow. The very worse part was I was running with a group of 5 (we were running for a charity) and I knew I was holding everyone back. I could not get out of my depression for days and was really surprised by my emotional reaction of sadness and frustration instead of joy for my accomplishment. I decided I'll stick to 1/2's for now.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. PRmamiDEdos

PRmamiDEdos DIS Veteran

I remember bits and pieces. The biggest part I remember is almost getting to Stormalong Bay and "talking" to my Dad and asking him for a little push because my feet were killing me. I was suuuuper slow but I made it.

4. jpeka65844

jpeka65844 DIS Veteran

This was my DH and his BFF's conversation after the marathon:

DH: "Don't you remember so-and-so at Mile XXX?"
    DHBFF: "no."

And so on and so on.....

5. freepixie

freepixie <font color=deeppink>Tanoshi<br><font color=green>

Lol! After last year's Princess, I was higher than a kite after I finished, and I couldn't wait to tell my family about my pic with the princes, but for the life of me I could not remember any of the names!! So I was like, "There was the dude from The Little Mermaid, and the dude from Mulan, and the dude from Rapunzel, and the dude from Aladdin..." My mom couldn't stop cracking up :)

6. dvcdenise

dvcdenise Mouseketeer

OMG I thought I was the only one who couldn't remember parts of a race. I always call it running amnesia. I am so happy to hear from others that they have it as well. Thanks for letting me know. :mickeyjum

7. jpeka65844

jpeka65844 DIS Veteran

While my first 1/2 marathon is more than a year away (Wine/Dine 2014), I think I'm going to do this in order to look back on the race!

I even made a t-shirt design today!

8. DisneyRunnerGirl

DisneyRunnerGirl If you see me sitting in a rocking chair, it's bec

I found that I remembered a lot after I uploaded the info from my Garmin and followed the race path with the satellite view. It helped me fill in my notes for my running log.

This was my first full and when I really looked at it 3 weeks after the fact I can see that it went relatively well. I never hit the wall mentally, just some nausea that had me at a VERY slow walk from Boardwalk to England. I think the heat caused me to have issues with the chocolate I had at Studios. I had trained with chocolate, but it was below freezing on those long training runs, not hot and humid. Live and learn for the next long warm weather race.

Intellectually I know I was smart to slow down with the heat and make finishing the most important part of the day but emotionally I was still somewhat let down after the finish. Before the race I conservatively estimated a 6:15 finish time, but completed in 7:01. I was so hot when the sun came up I made a decision to take lots of pics and just take it as it came. Still it is always tough when a race day is one of those "It is what it is" days. Much easier for me to get over training days like that....

I didn't upload the Garmin data until last weekend because I really had no desire to review the race until now. Funny thing is that once I was ready and used the satellite view I was able to draw in a lot more positives about the day then in the days immediately following the race.

My best race memory has got to be seeing my DH just grin and shake his head at me at the finish when I stopped 15 feet from the finish line for a picture with Minnie. I told him later that at that point my time was no longer a consideration, but I was thrilled to have a great picture with Minnie.

Ultimately I may find I am more of a half marathon girl, but I have decided that I will most likely run the Columbus Marathon in Oct because I need to see what I can do in more marathon friendly weather.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

9. Rose&Mike

Rose&Mike DIS Veteran

I also wanted to say thank you to everyone for sharing their experiences. It was nice to not feel so alone with my conflicted feelings about the marathon. :goodvibes

I don't know if I will ever do another one--this one was really hard on my body. I am back in physical therapy. Unfun but it is helping.

There is a part of my brain that desperately wants a better time, so I think maybe--but then I remember our training run where it was 45 and it rained for 13 miles--and I think hxxx no. :goodvibes I think if I do another one it will be in the fall when I can get the training in before the weather gets bad....so we'll see.:)

10. goofeygirl

goofeygirl DIS Veteran

Its normal. I am slow so I see and recall most things. My brothers wife however is fast and dreadfully focused that she didn't even recall running through the MK!!

11. goofeygirl

goofeygirl DIS Veteran

No its not worth it because you will a greater price each time.

12. runskyhy

runskyhy It's not less monkey, it's Moe Monkey!

I've always blamed my 'zoned-in' feeling (great description, John VN!) on the endorphin rush that kicks-in about 20 minutes after I begin a run. All my senses feel like they 'desensitize' and I mostly just notice the the rhythm of my footsteps.

13. Buckalew11

Buckalew11 2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

This was me...after the half.

I did not even know the lights were on the Castle until I saw that youtube video.
    I used the bathroom at the T&TC and I had no idea where I was! I had to ask my husband, "Where was I when I used that restroom?":p

All I remember is being focused. And a bit perturbed at my DH ;) . He was a bit pushy and I was going as fast as I was going to get. :faint: He stayed at my pace the whole time and I am sure it was a PITA for him to go so slow. It was his choice to stay at my pace. I'm grateful for him doing that but he did not have to. :)

I had no idea this forgetting, this "zoning in" (I like that term also), was common.

No, that's not it. I'm slow too and I can barely remember much. :faint: Or it could be that I'm kinda old.