Is Grand Floridian really worth....

Thanks everyone who has responded. Have taken all the advice on board and decided to stay at Portofino Bay................

....Just joking, I think it's a showdown between BLT and GF. Though I suspect it may take a while to decide, if we do see a decent $ per point rate we may plump for the former. May see this thread run on till Christmas yet.

I have stayed in many rooms at the GF including garden view, I feel that you are treated the same no matter if you are staying in the main building or GV.
Are you kidding me? The concierge CMs are incredible and go way above and beyond what the front desk CMs will do. We loved the in-room check-in, the extremely personalized service and the concierge treats. Also the fact they are right there on hand - not in another building a 5 minute walk-away. Also the fact they could get us last minute reservations that there is no chance we would have got from the front desk concierge.

I have to disagree with you; from our experiences you are truly treated like royalty at the Royal Palm Club whereas the regular GF service is no different from any other Deluxe Resort Disney CM experience. It's also no fun trekking through the rain to get back to your room, especially when you're in one of the further lodges....

Are you kidding me? The concierge CMs are incredible and go way above and beyond what the front desk CMs will do. We loved the in-room check-in, the extremely personalized service and the concierge treats. Also the fact they are right there on hand - not in another building a 5 minute walk-away. Also the fact they could get us last minute reservations that there is no chance we would have got from the front desk concierge.

I have to disagree with you; from our experiences you are truly treated like royalty at the Royal Palm Club whereas the regular GF service is no different from any other Deluxe Resort Disney CM experience. It's also no fun trekking through the rain to get back to your room, especially when you're in one of the further lodges....

i agree! the RPC concierge service is outstanding!!

the food in the lounge was nothing to write home about, but the CMs were excellent!
they also were able to get us reservations that couldn't be had any other way. We were always amazed by that.
We've stayed in every concierge at WDW and DL, as well as the Portofino Bay at universal - of all of them, the CMs at the GF were the best.

(and by the way, since Portofino Bay was mentioned, i'll add that we HATED it there. Thought the concierge service was the worst we had in any hotel ever).

But, while we adore the RPC (and our castle view room there), we also enjoyed staying at regular rooms in the GF (though it's a very different experience).
And i agree, that private dining at the GF is excellent. We've used them quite a lot and we were always very pleased with their service.

Thanks everyone who has responded. Have taken all the advice on board and decided to stay at Portofino Bay................

....Just joking, I think it's a showdown between BLT and GF. Though I suspect it may take a while to decide, if we do see a decent $ per point rate we may plump for the former. May see this thread run on till Christmas yet.

LOL Johnny

I know that you're not sold on the feel and decor at BLT or the Contemporary but don't write either of those off. We were at BLT in the summer and at the Contemporary in October and one of the things I love about these two resorts are the amazing views. DS was sick in October and I spent the day in the room with him while he slept most of the day. In another resort might have driven me stir crazy after a while but at CR I was able to relax out on the balcony and just watch life go by taking in the ever changing view.

DSCF1484.jpg

DSCF1483.jpg

If you picked CR and splashed out on the Atrium club you could enjoy a glass of wine or a "cordial" (I'm sorry but that always make me think of a glass of Robinsons orange squash rather than a Liqueur :rotfl: ) and chat to some of the other guests in the lounge. Plus if Julie was looking after Josh but fancied something she could just nip down to the lounge to get it. I was able to get a coffee or a cold drink during the day when I was looking after DS

DSCF1478.jpg

DSCF1476.jpg

Anyway, just something else to add to your turmoil :goodvibes

Thanks Tink and everyone else.

Kind of swayed by what Deb said really, loved the Grand Floridian when we had a walk around and to a slightly less degree the Polynesian also.
However, having a larger 'villa type' room, close to Magic Kingdom and with full kitchen just isn't to be beaten really.

We would have a slight 'concern' about how nice the room is at either the GF or Poly, and we would know for sure at BLT it would be spacious and new.
At the end of the day also more room for Joshua, and it's not as if we cannot go for a look around the Grand Floridian or a character breakfast at Ohana's as they are just a short monorail ride away. We can after all 'use' ALL the resorts, apart from the pools.

In addition if we can rent points off someone, BLT will actually work out cheaper, even at $10 per point (based upon the quotes we have had on the other 2 resorts).
I have never liked the 'look' of the Contemporary area, but for practicality & value I think if we are able to book it is the right choice. That extra room/kitchen with Joshua's needs, and dislike of restaurants, in mind is the clincher really.
And with the likes of shops, cafe's, Chef Mickeys' and The Wave, plus the rooftop bar thingy type place we have what we need close at hand - with 1900 Park Fare and others closeby too.

So will keep an eye on the rent/trade board, I suspect we might have to wait for the 7 month window dates, adn obviously taking a chance on availability.

Thanks for the reponses everyone.

Thanks Tink and everyone else.

Kind of swayed by what Deb said really, loved the Grand Floridian when we had a walk around and to a slightly less degree the Polynesian also.
However, having a larger 'villa type' room, close to Magic Kingdom and with full kitchen just isn't to be beaten really.

We would have a slight 'concern' about how nice the room is at either the GF or Poly, and we would know for sure at BLT it would be spacious and new.
At the end of the day also more room for Joshua, and it's not as if we cannot go for a look around the Grand Floridian or a character breakfast at Ohana's as they are just a short monorail ride away. We can after all 'use' ALL the resorts, apart from the pools.

In addition if we can rent points off someone, BLT will actually work out cheaper, even at $10 per point (based upon the quotes we have had on the other 2 resorts).
I have never liked the 'look' of the Contemporary area, but for practicality & value I think if we are able to book it is the right choice. That extra room/kitchen with Joshua's needs, and dislike of restaurants, in mind is the clincher really.
And with the likes of shops, cafe's, Chef Mickeys' and The Wave, plus the rooftop bar thingy type place we have what we need close at hand - with 1900 Park Fare and others closeby too.

So will keep an eye on the rent/trade board, I suspect we might have to wait for the 7 month window dates, adn obviously taking a chance on availability.

Thanks for the reponses everyone.

sounds like a good plan!! :goodvibes
i don't like CR either, but combining the advantages of a DVC property with the convenience of proximity to the MK (when we stay at the CR, we usually walk to the MK) definitely sounds good to me.....

are you looking at a 1 BR? how much would that run when renting points?

BLT certainly looks like a nice place to stay...

sounds like a good plan!! :goodvibes
i don't like CR either, but combining the advantages of a DVC property with the convenience of proximity to the MK (when we stay at the CR, we usually walk to the MK) definitely sounds good to me.....

are you looking at a 1 BR? how much would that run when renting points?

BLT certainly looks like a nice place to stay...

Defintely great location.

As we are booked into the villa for 13 nights, we did originally plan 12 there - we are looking at BLT for three. Need 93 points for standard view, so I guess depends on the $ per point we get, $10 = $930 etc etc

Even at 10 it works out better value than either the GF or Poly. Will see if I can get $9 though.

Defintely great location.

As we are booked into the villa for 13 nights, we did originally plan 12 there - we are looking at BLT for three. Need 93 points for standard view, so I guess depends on the $ per point we get, $10 = $930 etc etc

Even at 10 it works out better value than either the GF or Poly. Will see if I can get $9 though.

is that for a 1 bedroom or a studio?

i'm not at all familiar with the BLT pricing - although i assume when paying cash it's pretty expensive, given that it's new and has a great location!

does Joshua like to fish?

have you ever tried one of the guided fishing excursions? one of the places they can pick you up is right at the CR dock...
it's for 2 hours....really superb fishing, if you're into that...
i never fished, just watched the kids having a nice time..
i don't know if your son would like something like that or not, but if he would it's really nice..
and the guides are wonderful...
they'll do as much or as little of the work as you want...
that is, they'll bait the hook for you and all you do is hold the pole if you want...
when the kids were younger, that's pretty much all they wanted to do..hold the pole...as they got older, they also baited the hook,....but the guide will do everything...
it's really a pleasant way to spend a few hours on the water....

but i don't know if Joshua would be interested in it....but if he would be, it's really nice to do...
and it's just your family - you don't share the boat with anyone....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter