Is Grand Floridian really worth....

Is it worth it?
To you possibly, to me no, been a few times to visit, see Xmas decs, eaten 2 meals there. Not somewhere I would want to stay. Contemp I would bulldoze, just don't like at all(sorry all who like it). Poly would be the only one of the 3 I would want to stay at, great theming and Dole whips on tap:thumbsup2

Apology for being lazy but this is what I would have posted :thumbsup2

A year or so ago I would have agreed, I have stayed in hotels upto £150/night. Got no more enjoyment as a £20/night room, apart from Savannah room at AKL but still wouldn't pay rack rate for that.
As I get older I am changing(Yes Moira I know you knew I would;)) maybe I know years are passing bye and no idea how many years we can go(only in my forties but where's the last 16 years gone since our 1st visit, and whats around the corner?) maybe its because we can't go as often just now, I don't know but after experiencing biz class flights this year I would say if you can afford it its worth it. Same with hotels, if its what you want and you have the money its worth it. A room is somewhere to get my head down to sleep but fully appreciate people get more from from a hotel than we do.

Wow thats a bit of a U turn Wayneg, I always thought you were a maximum time cheapest (within reason) kind of a guy. I always thought you would change your mind sooner or later. Obviously those Buisness class tickets had a bit of a lasting effect on you.
Just like my DW, who made sure we booked Business again for this coming summer and the Air Canada is a pretty good deal though probably out of the price range of many.
Like yourself I always thought it was one hell of an expense but came to realise after the Delta biz flights that yes they are if you are lucky enough to be able to afford them a highlight of the holiday rather than the usual fairly unpleasant experience at the back. I would say this too about GF, if you can do it, can afford it go for it, if you cannot then dont.
If it were me and I had the choice between GF and an economy flight or say a mod resort and biz flights I would be in a dilemma. I think in the end I would save up for an extra few weeks, get say a low delux such as the wilderness lodge and the biz flights too. Hopefully though with the DVC we own it wont come to that as our main expense is now the flights rather than the hotel.

Wow thats a bit of a U turn Wayneg, I always thought you were a maximum time cheapest (within reason) kind of a guy. I always thought you would change your mind sooner or later. Obviously those Buisness class tickets had a bit of a lasting effect on you.
Just like my DW, who made sure we booked Business again for this coming summer. Like yourself I always thought it was one hell of an expense but came to realise after the Delta that yes they are if you can afford them a highlight of the holiday rather than the usual fairly unpleasant experience at the back.

I have always been happy in economy, can usually sleep most the flight but the whole package of biz class suprised me from the check in with a smile, lounges(never been interested in before) which were very relaxing and welcoming, the welcome onboard with champagne, obviously the extra room but most of all being treated as a human being by the cabin staff, even coming around at the end to thank us all by name for flying with them and not forgetting the superb food, how they produce that 1000's of feet in the air I will never know.
Talking myself into splashing out arn't I :rotfl2:

I have always been happy in economy, can usually sleep most the flight but the whole package of biz class suprised me from the check in with a smile, lounges(never been interested in before) which were very relaxing and welcoming, the welcome onboard with champagne, obviously the extra room but most of all being treated as a human being by the cabin staff, even coming around at the end to thank us all by name for flying with them and not forgetting the superb food, how they produce that 1000's of feet in the air I will never know.
Talking myself into splashing out arn't I :rotfl2:
Go on Wayneg we both now know its worth it. Take a little peek at those flat beds. ;)

Just thought I'd add my two pennies worth....

If you can afford it then I would say go for it. I personally can't but what I always do when we book ANY holiday is get the best we possibly can for the money we have allocated to spend on the holiday. i.e I make sure I spend ALL the budget :lmao:

If you have certain criteria that you require on your vacation then these are a priority.

For all my hols I pay extra for day time flights while I have friends who save ££'s flying in the early hours - not for us.

I've paid extra for a villa next year in Menorca when I could have got a larger one for same price but this villa was the only one I could find with a gate to the private pool - now I can relax knowing the girls can't just walking out of the patio doors and into the pool - worth the extra money to me while they're still young.

It's the little things that can mean a lot to different people.

Just to put my 2p in...have you considered the Yacht/Beach Club? Beach Club generally has a very family-friendly reputation, cracking pool at Stormalong Bay, easy walking distance of lots of bars in Boardwalk area and Epcot....don't know if pool would be good for Joshua?

We have just booked Beach Club for Oct 2010, first time onsite, got free dining too! I'm a bit excited ...!:cool1:

Just to put my 2p in...have you considered the Yacht/Beach Club? Beach Club generally has a very family-friendly reputation, cracking pool at Stormalong Bay, easy walking distance of lots of bars in Boardwalk area and Epcot....don't know if pool would be good for Joshua?

We have just booked Beach Club for Oct 2010, first time onsite, got free dining too! I'm a bit excited ...!:cool1:

Both very nice though I would have thought a draw for people with a bit older children as near to epcot rather than magic kingdom.

We have just booked two nights at the Contemp at the end of our hold in Dec (16/18) and cost was £568 for 2 adults. Tower Room with MK view.

This was through Disney UK which was cheaper than the US site and when we visited in October and went direct to the Contemp (although they could not tell us and gave us a phone number)

Hiya,

Yes we have especially as we have not stayed there before. Like the location, though it's probably our second choice behind Magic Kingdom area.
Main problem with Beach Club is we look at renting points and because of the points rates we would need 96 for 3 nights instead of 78 for Boardwalk, making BWV better value for money but...we have stayed there before.

I actually think we will go to Grand Floridian after all but maybe stay the first night at the Swan or Dolphin, followed by a couple of nights at the GF before moving onto the villa, we shall see. :)

I'm in total agreement with Frances. If you're going to splash out for GF, you need to be in the main building, otherwise you're going to feel cheated. On top of that, knowing you feel the same way I do, unless the rooms are refurbished before your stay, you're also going to feel that you've paid over the odds. For that reason, don't rule out the Contemporary or Bay Lake Tower - they're recently refurbished/brand new respectively and there's a lot to be said for that. Also, the bar at The Wave is absolutely ideal for your solo sojourns. It's adult in a way that Disney has not previously done well and I know you'd love it.

I'm in total agreement with Frances. If you're going to splash out for GF, you need to be in the main building, otherwise you're going to feel cheated. On top of that, knowing you feel the same way I do, unless the rooms are refurbished before your stay, you're also going to feel that you've paid over the odds. For that reason, don't rule out the Contemporary or Bay Lake Tower - they're recently refurbished/brand new respectively and there's a lot to be said for that. Also, the bar at The Wave is absolutely ideal for your solo sojourns. It's adult in a way that Disney has not previously done well and I know you'd love it.

Thanks Deb, yes we feel the same way about the rooms and that is always a worry. I have had a lot of good information on this thread, and naturally always listen to what everyone has to say - and would be daft not reading what you and Frances have said also. ;)
It's trying to get the right balance for eveything, kitchen facilities and new rooms are obviously a plus point. Just I am sure for Julie's benefit if we stayed at the GF she would go out, walk over to the Polynesian and she is just unsure whether that would happen at BLT. Strange though that may sound. However, it is just a short monorail ride away so there is no reason we all cannot enjoy BLT/GF and the Poly too.
No-one could argue the GF looks fab, well we think it does, room-wise like you say until you get in there you just don't know, as we have both found with BWV & BCV.

I genuinely, like you do, think newer the better but we just cannot warm to the decor at BLT - can't really put it into words but as I have said location is pefect and that extra room/kitchen a real plus point for us.
I have never been to The Wave but having spent an absolute age searching around (and still not made our minds up), I am aware it exists, which previously I was not. :)

More thinking to do - sorry this thread has gone on for so long, just I always try and thank any feedback given.

Can I just add that the rooms at BLT are a lot nicer in person than the photos.

We visited the actual rooms in BLT in September and they are really very nice but if they are not to your taste - fair enough. I understand that as you couldn't get me to stay at the Poly.

Just to add when we were at the GF for dinner in September they were refurbing the Lobby area and it was a mess. I don't know how long that is going to take as they are putting in a new tiled floor that is very detailed. It will look stunning when it is finished :goodvibes

Have you checked out the interactive views on the dedicated BLT site?

And more good photos here and here.

Hi, thanks we have seen the interactive views yes, I will check the other links too - thanks.

To be honest I am happy to stay at BLT and can see the positives as we talked about earlier but I think Julie has her heart set on GF, I would be happy with either really.

I think she would always think when we went pass the GF on the monorail "I wish we were staying there", and the restuarants do suit Joshua also, something that we can rarely say about any hotel, especially with Polynesian next door too. Though you could balance that out with the kitchen facilities at BLT.

Wil let you know what we decide, though I suspect that won't be soon! :lmao:

If the money is in the budget, then I say go for it.

We have had similar discussions about "justifying" the whole holiday to WDW, not just a few nights of it. ;) (And we're staying in the cheap seats at POP!) We came to the conclusion that we're going to do things now, while we can (physically and financially), and while the kids will get lots out of it.

You can't take your money with you, you only get one go at this, and even if it is crippling you financially (which it's doing to us just now), as long as your head is above water, then you're fine. :thumbsup2

If the GF is somewhere your whole family will enjoy, then I would go for it. Or compromise a little on your 2nd choice (BW?) Same sort of facilities but a little cheaper perhaps? If you didn't get the chance to go to WDW again (for whatever reason) would you regret not staying at GF?

Let us know what you finally decide! :hug:

If the GF is somewhere your whole family will enjoy, then I would go for it. Or compromise a little on your 2nd choice (BW?) Same sort of facilities but a little cheaper perhaps? If you didn't get the chance to go to WDW again (for whatever reason) would you regret not staying at GF?

Let us know what you finally decide! :hug:

I think we want to stay at the Grand Floridian, but without compromising Joshua's need too much. Which is where a DVC resort comes in.

To be honest I am happy with any of our possible choices as wherever we stay I can't lose, whether it's the bars around the Swan & Dolphin, ESPN club or the lounges, bar areas around the MK deluxe/DVC resorts - whichever way we do it I am getting something out of it.
It's probably up to Julie to decide.
Don't worry I will let you all know - it's like a Coronation Street cliffhanger this 'un. :thumbsup2

i'm a bit late getting on board this thread...

as i've said countless times, my #1 favorite disney resort is the GF....(second favorite is the WL)...

i've stayed at the GF in regular rooms, in the sugar loaf concierge (if that's the name - i can't remember any more) and several times in the royal palm club concierge (main building)..

though i prefer the main building and the RPC concierge, i've also enjoyed staying in the 'cheap seats' there...

as i recall, a 'cheap' room was about $500 (rack rate) and the RPC concierge upwards of $650 (rack)......it's probably more than that now, as i haven't stayed there for a few years...

i know there are people who don't like the GF, but i love it....we've always found the service to be outstanding..

and while people accuse it of being stuffy (i've never found that to be the case - quite the opposite in fact), it's the only disney resort that i'm aware of that has a 24 hour food court....pretty cool for a deluxe establishment..
and the people who work in the food court are sooooooooooo nice...
but i've always found all the staff at the GF to be really friendly, smiley and nice....always saying hi, how are you - to me... and giving me a big smile...i really love that..

as for whether it's worth the money....no....probably not....is anything worth that much money?????????? no....
and in truth, the last time i was at WDW with just DD, we stayed at the all star music - and really enjoyed it a LOT...everyone was friendly there too...

so i can't say that it's worth the money....but i do very much enjoy staying there...

i forgot to mention a really nice guy who works there - assuming he's still there..
a waiter in private dining (room service)....i think his name is Howard....not sure...he's been there 15 years or so...anyway, he is such a nice nice nice nice guy...really nice...he really made our stay one time...

anyway...we enjoy it there....and being able to pop over to the MK on the monorail or by little boat is also really nice..

but it is expensive....no question about it....and i suppose we were nuts for shelling out that much cash.....but the wonderful memories are worth it....

We have only stayed in the GF for 1 night but we loved it! It was after our wedding and we were offered "1 free night in any Disney Hotel" so i thought well might aswell try the most expensive! We were very fortunate and were given a turret room in the main building (concierge room i think). I know we were treated really well as it was our honeymoon but the service was second to none and we thoroughly enjoyed our "day" there. As we only had the one day there we spent some time in the pools and around the hotel and i honestly loved the feel of the place. Really relaxed but still had a Disney feel to it without being overly so.

We also stayed at both the BWV and the BCV in May this year and my first idea was that BWV were cheaper so i should have stayed there. When i was at the BWV i was disappointed - the room was a bit shappy - broken doors, broken light and generally in need of a refurb. The service was ok - just ok not anything special. By comparison the service at the BCV was brilliant, staff were really friendly and helpful as most are in Disney. The room we had was immaculate and only a 5 minute walk to Epcot - ideal for us as we like to pop over for a few hours in the evening. The pools were lovely and always pretty quiet. If the 2 were the same points it would be no contest - BCV all the time.

we wanted to stay in the GF for a long time, when we did go there it had been booked by a post office convention. They moved chairs from the rooms into the public areas and spent the time drinking and talking very loudly. This spoilt the experience for us. Also we have two boys with autism, they didnt find the resort two confortable (they are quite loud and can spin/flap)we were more obvious here than any other resort we have stayed in. Hope this helps.

I have stayed in many rooms at the GF including garden view, I feel that you are treated the same no matter if you are staying in the main building or GV. Yes it is nice to relax in the evening and listen to the band in the concierge lounge but hey you can go sit in Mizners lounge and get the same feeling. It is a lot more expensive to stay in the main building than the outer lodges,, we had a garden view room in Conch key last year, it was 1 minute from the boat dock and 1 minute from Narcoossees it was ideal, the room had beautiful views too

If you do stay at the GF the private dining it fab :thumbsup2, it's been good for us as the kids have been so tired some days after the parks :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter