• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is Disney becoming too greedy?

Hi all,

I'm married to the OP and wanted to give more of a back ground about us then what he has,

I have been going to Disney for the last 25 years, for at least 3 wks at a time so I remember what Disney WAS like!
We go every other yr for 3 wks at a time and stay at either SSR or AKL so we can easily afford the trips we take and like my DH said will continue to do so,
We have never gotten the DDP free except last trip so that was just a bonus, apart from that we have paid for it every time!!

For me the pros of staying on site was the evening EMH which have been shortened and now have a threat of being taken away all together, we also have had most promotions taken away.
Just because my Dh and I can afford the trips the thread was more about the general cost of a Disney holiday and sorry but it has gone up a lot!

Dining prices have increased to a insane amount, " you can't do a character meal for under $200 for a family if 5, ( outside if Disney property food is reasonable so it's not just because the economy has changed)
Disney used to be affordable to most however now I see a lot of posts from family's that have to save for years before going its a sad thing to see.

We love Disney and understand there will be many who stick up for Disney no matter what, but in our opinion Disney has started to get greedy. I mean even monorail hotels don't get the full benefits of the monorail due to cut hours after a certain time?!

Marionnette said:
Disney has always been greedy. Maximizing profits is what capitalism is all about. Disney does it quite well. Every major corporation has number crunchers who determine what they must charge in order to stay in the black and then they forecast how much they can charge to make the most money. A certain number of guests will find that the amount is more than they are willing to spend and the bean counters take this into consideration. It sounds like you may be one of those guests.

No the amount is not more then we are willing to pay personally but we have read many threads ( more on the UK side) of how Disney is pricing out many family's,

1st they stick up the food prices to make the DDP look a better deal while bringing down the actual quality of the food!
Then they stick the price up of the DDP to make it a ridiculous amount,
Next they cut the monorail hours to monorail hotels ( a perk that is being paid for with high prices)
Then evening magic hours are cut " thought this was a perk of staying onsite?

When it comes to staying onsite Disney have gotten greedy while sticking up prices & cutting out perks!! What will be so special about staying onsite??

tinkerpea said:
Hi all,

I'm married to the OP and wanted to give more of a back ground about us then what he has,

I have been going to Disney for the last 25 years, for at least 3 wks at a time so I remember what Disney WAS like!
We go every other yr for 3 wks at a time and stay at either SSR or AKL so we can easily afford the trips we take and like my DH said will continue to do so,
We have never gotten the DDP free except last trip so that was just a bonus, apart from that we have paid for it every time!!

For me the pros of staying on site was the evening EMH which have been shortened and now have a threat of being taken away all together, we also have had most promotions taken away.
Just because my Dh and I can afford the trips the thread was more about the general cost of a Disney holiday and sorry but it has gone up a lot!

Dining prices have increased to a insane amount, " you can't do a character meal for under $200 for a family if 5, ( outside if Disney property food is reasonable so it's not just because the economy has changed)
Disney used to be affordable to most however now I see a lot of posts from family's that have to save for years before going its a sad thing to see.

We love Disney and understand there will be many who stick up for Disney no matter what, but in our opinion Disney has started to get greedy. I mean even monorail hotels don't get the full benefits of the monorail due to cut hours after a certain time?!

Look, bottom line is that more people want to go to disney world during peak times than Disney really has capacity for, so they raise the price. People have said "every day is crowded now days". This means they are not charging enough. Character meals are $200 for a family? Well, guess what? If you don't sign up for it 5 months in advance you won't get one. That means they are not charging enough. It's not about greed, it's about finding a price that evens out supply and demand, and from the looks of it they still have plenty of room to go up.

I do think that the Disney dining plan is crazy. The whole idea of having to sit down to a meal every day is not inviting to me. We go for a week at a time and only eat one sit down meal the entire time. Besides that we do counter service, eat in room, and the cafeteria style meals at the value hotels. I guess I am a park commando I am there strictly for the amusement park rides. I can't imagine taking 2 hours out of every day to sit at one of those ridiculously priced meals. However, I see on the disboards that many people love it and do it every time. I'd rather pay OOP if we did eat table meals.

StitchesGr8Fan said:
Disney knows the threshold of price increase to consumer loss that allows them to make more money.

Example: 10,000 families spend $2000 to go to Disney. Disney makes $20 million

The next year they increase prices by $500. So only 9000 families decide to spend $2500 and go. Disney makes $22.5 million with 1000 less families.

In fact, or order to lose money, 2001 families would have to decide not to go because they don't want to pay $2500. Disney doesn't think they will have that level of attrition over $500.

It stinks that you are one of the small percentage if families that can't afford to go. But Disney is a business, not a charity or government agency. They are there to make money. Going to Disney isn't an unalienable right, just like driving a BMW isn't. Yes, Walt wanted Disney to be accessible to all, but that idyllic way of thinking almost put the company under a time or two. Walt also wanted the parks to be forever growing and changing, and that takes money.

I totally understand what you are getting luckily we are NOT part of the percentage that can not afford to go, been going for 24 years not about to stop now lol.
I just wish that other family's was not priced out and that when staying and paying the prices for onsite we still got the PERKS for paying that price.

Look, bottom line is that more people want to go to disney world during peak times than Disney really has capacity for, so they raise the price. People have said "every day is crowded now days". This means they are not charging enough. Character meals are $200 for a family? Well, guess what? If you don't sign up for it 5 months in advance you won't get one. That means they are not charging enough. It's not about greed, it's about finding a price that evens out supply and demand, and from the looks of it they still have plenty of room to go up.

Actually free dining is the reason you have to book 5 months in advance!!
When you actually paid for dining it was alot easier to get a table for dinner, prices increased because of the DDP and and everywhere is booked up because of them!
I believe that when they take away free dining you won't have to book 5 months in advance because people won't want to pay the prices!

No the amount is not more then we are willing to pay personally but we have read many threads ( more on the UK side) of how Disney is pricing out many family's,

1st they stick up the food prices to make the DDP look a better deal while bringing down the actual quality of the food!
Then they stick the price up of the DDP to make it a ridiculous amount,
Next they cut the monorail hours to monorail hotels ( a perk that is being paid for with high prices)
Then evening magic hours are cut " thought this was a perk of staying onsite?

When it comes to staying onsite Disney have gotten greedy while sticking up prices & cutting out perks!! What will be so special about staying onsite??
You're proving the point that Disney's executives are making. which is that they can raise prices, cut back on perks and people will still pay for it. In the process, there are families that will be priced out of the experience. Disney realizes that some people will decide to spend their money elsewhere. They're raising their prices to a level that they feel the market will bear. If they underestimated the pocketbooks of their guests, they won't make as big a profit this year as they did last year.

They haven't totally eliminated Extra Magic Hour nights from the Magic Kingdom. Cut back, yes. Eliminated no.

As far as not having as many discounts as they had in the past, Disney did warn us about that. If the parks continue to be full they have no reason to offer discounts.

You're proving the point that Disney's executives are making. which is that they can raise prices, cut back on perks and people will still pay for it. In the process, there are families that will be priced out of the experience. Disney realizes that some people will decide to spend their money elsewhere. They're raising their prices to a level that they feel the market will bear. If they underestimated the pocketbooks of their guests, they won't make as big a profit this year as they did last year.

And that's exactly what we mean by being GREEDY! Just because you CAN do something does not mean you should?!
Just because I can eat 10 cream cakes does not mean it would be good to do so,:)

I just think that the fact the UK are still in a recession means that they will proberly lose out on the UK customers " not altogether but when it comes to staying insure" I'm sure if I was to ask this on the UK boards the answers would be very different infact it's actually what comes up frequently over their which is why I asked it on here to see what the US side thought.

I suppose the main difference is that you guys don't have to pay at least $800 just to get to Disney and before any body says flight prices are not Disneys fault I'm not saying they are.

Also if I lived in the US ( which I may do from September) I would be going for much shorter trips of maybe a wk or even less where as when I go from the UK we have to do at least 2 wks just to make the flight worth it. Which brings our holidays up to a price much higher then the majority of the US visitors.

I'm guessing not many mind that prices have gone up and yet perks of staying onsite have gone down??
Like my wife said monorail hours have been cut, magic hours have been cut it makes the lure of staying onsite less attractive when you can get much better rooms for half the price.

You will always get a huge range of opinions which all are entitled to, it's just interesting to see what others think of the situation which is why I started the thread :)

DISNEYFOS said:
I agree with the OP. I think they are becoming greedy.

We have gone every year (most years twice)..since our kids were infants. We bought DVC at the Beach Club and we purchase annual passes most years.

It has most definitely changed to maximize profits over those 10 years.

I know they will always try to make a profit (I'm not naive) but there is a difference between making a profit and maximizing.

I've seen the focus shift from making things special for children (and adults). Little extras..Just because. to how can we sell this and attract even more people.

The Halloween party has become overrun with people...when it started it was a very special thing for our family. See the Villains, great parade, trick or treating...and get on rides with little to no lines...Now people have fist fights over their spot at a parade....no thanks.

The the dining plan... We do a TS every night.. We didn't buy into it because I don't eat an appetizer, entree and dessert... Too much food... It was more economical to pay out of pocket... Disney has since raise prices on all their dishes so even ordering a garden salad will cost you $20.

There is no such thing as a low crowd day any longer...irregardless of what time of year you go.. build more and more hotels but only expansion of the parks was a few rides in fantasyland?

and dont even get me going with the amount of people they let register for the run disney events..the princess half marathon was down right dangerous...

Ok..end of rant./..

I'm still a dvc member and next year we are trying our first disney cruise...I'm still giving them my money.. but I'm still very aware of these changes and consider them a negative... and will effect my future purchases..

I'm just editing to add, there is more to business than just maximizing profits. That is a short term goal. There is the customer experience..that produces loyalty, reputation.

This is exactly what my hubby was trying to get at,
He has only been going to Disney since 2006 and has already seen a huge change since then!!
I however have been going for 24years and so it saddens me to see some of these changes,

I understand fully that they need to make money to be able to do things like the new FLE and that's great but I can't help but feel that they are going beyond profit!

I mean when it comes to the food prices wow is all I can say, My parents have been going since DIsney world 1st opened and so I know that for a long time food was the same price as it was anywhere else!
We go to theme parks all over the place and in the UK theme parks food prices are insane and the food is awful!! So I always loved coming to DIsney and enjoying AMAZING food at decent prices.
Add the DDP make it free then put the prices up by an insane amount whilst lowering the quality and having to book months in advance,
I'm sorry but I don't feel that TS places are booked up 5 months in advance due to them being so good value or because people will pay what ever ....it's because its FREE.

We always go in September through to October and so we also have noticed that no time is low time anymore so of course I agree that Disney is packed all year long but I feel it's because of the promotions quite season is busy as its more affordable "I guess we will soon see if that changes"

I'm happy to pay the prices as we can afford it but just because I can afford it doesn't mean I'm happy about it! I can see what's happening higher prices for little perks and that's sad to see :(

Im from the UK aswell and have been staying onsite for the past 4 years- I have to be honest and say that ive found the increase in price each year has been reasonable and in line with what I would expect. The main hike in the price for us is down to the ticket increase each year, the hotel including dining plan (which we have always got free) isn't that much more. Everything goes up each year- not just disney prices. Admittedly pricing out for next year it does look like theres no deals at the moment but they don't normally come out untill april/may so I will wait it out a bit longer before booking next year. We stay at moderate resorts though so this may be why we don't see the big increase you have. Definately our biggest expense is the ridiculous flight prices!:confused3 Even if prices keep going up I will keep saving and going to my happy place, lol. The alternative is Disneyland paris- hmmm now theres a place that I would class as greedy, there prices are extortionate!

Not to beat a dead horse, but the perceived FREE dining plan isn't free at all because you have to pay full price for your room in order to get it.

We booked our room at a 30% discount and paid for the standard dining plan which will get us a quick service, a snack, and a table service each for every day that we are there. There are websites that have worked out everything about maximizing your dining plan so if your gripe is that it's not free then maximize it - go to Wolfgang Puck for your quick service and order that bacon wrapped meatloaf, order the NY Strip at The Sci-Fi Diner - just research a little more and you will walk out of there thinking "we saved eleventy billion percent on dining"

I understand the reviews about the dining plan are hit or miss some people say it's too much food, other say "I ate because I felt I had to" I think this is the right amount of food for us - we're a family of 6. Personally I wish I could purchase extra table service credits because I just found myself wanting to do way too many of those LOL but all in due time. We can do it the next go round.

And is everyone in your neck of the woods Royal Baby crazy or what??

Cheers,
Jamie

Im from the UK aswell and have been staying onsite for the past 4 years- I have to be honest and say that ive found the increase in price each year has been reasonable and in line with what I would expect. The main hike in the price for us is down to the ticket increase each year, the hotel including dining plan (which we have always got free) isn't that much more. Everything goes up each year- not just disney prices. Admittedly pricing out for next year it does look like theres no deals at the moment but they don't normally come out untill april/may so I will wait it out a bit longer before booking next year. We stay at moderate resorts though so this may be why we don't see the big increase you have. Definately our biggest expense is the ridiculous flight prices!:confused3 Even if prices keep going up I will keep saving and going to my happy place, lol. The alternative is Disneyland paris- hmmm now theres a place that I would class as greedy, there prices are extortionate!

The fact you stay moderate could be the reason your not seeing much if an increase!
I'll break our last holiday down and then you can see what I'm on about for us personally.

I'm only going to include Disney priced things in this.

Last yr
16 nights SSR 2 bed with free DDP and 14 day ultimate ticket for 4 Disney adults and 2 children £4890

This year exact same holiday
£ 9260

I would say that's a HUGE increase! Even if you take away the fact I'm paying for the DDP this time the increase is over £2000 that's quite a hike if you ask me!!

That's doesn't include any flights so there on top.

So when you think they are lowering some of the perks ( yes I get there are lot of them ) but hiking up prices I mean do they need to increase their food prices so much?

Not to beat a dead horse, but the perceived FREE dining plan isn't free at all because you have to pay full price for your room in order to get it.

We booked our room at a 30% discount and paid for the standard dining plan which will get us a quick service, a snack, and a table service each for every day that we are there. There are websites that have worked out everything about maximizing your dining plan so if your gripe is that it's not free then maximize it - go to Wolfgang Puck for your quick service and order that bacon wrapped meatloaf, order the NY Strip at The Sci-Fi Diner - just research a little more and you will walk out of there thinking "we saved eleventy billion percent on dining"

I understand the reviews about the dining plan are hit or miss some people say it's too much food, other say "I ate because I felt I had to" I think this is the right amount of food for us - we're a family of 6. Personally I wish I could purchase extra table service credits because I just found myself wanting to do way too many of those LOL but all in due time. We can do it the next go round.

And is everyone in your neck of the woods Royal Baby crazy or what??

Cheers,
Jamie

My grip is definatly nothing to do with the dining plan not being free, we have always paid for it except last year when we got it free!! :)
We always maximise our plan our kids are still of an age where they want to do character meals and the prices of those are insane!
Plus the wife enjoys signature meals and so we all go along to those too!

We love the DDP we always get the normal plan,
We actually don't always pay rack rate to get the free plan so it is actually FREE for us!
Last yr we got 42% off the SSR plus free dining plan, when you have 6 Disney adults ( we upgrade the 7 yr old twins to the adult plan) then that is a saving of over £3500 which is way more then any room discount is going to get me if I did have to choose!
Of course is there's only 2 in your party or even 3 I can see the room discount being much more of a benefit!

Short answer.

No.

Long Answer.

Nooooooooooooooooooooo

It is their duty to produce revenue which in turn produces profit. They can be deemed greedy when their profits suffer as a result of pricing themselves out of the market. Until then, they're priced appropriately.

I know it's out of their control, however the prices of flights have increased, it appears Disney doesn't seem to be doing much to reduce the financial cost, in fact increasing their own prices!

Your thoughts?

Disney isn't going to cut their prices to make up for the cost of another business.

Short answer.

No.

Long Answer.

Nooooooooooooooooooooo

It is their duty to produce revenue which in turn produces profit. They can be deemed greedy when their profits suffer as a result of pricing themselves out of the market. Until then, they're priced appropriately.

Exactly. If you look at how crowded the parks are, it's hard to say that Disney is being greedy, since people are obviously still willing to pay the prices that Disney is offering. If Disney were greedy, the prices would be high and consumers would decide not to come to the park (or not visit bbb or not stay on site, etc). That doesn't seem to be the case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter