Is Disney becoming too greedy?

I was 29 before I went to WDW for the first time. 3 weeks away from being 30, to be exact. And as heartbreaking as you may find it, when I was growing up, I never missed it! I think that we all love WDW so much that we forget people have happy childhoods without trips to WDW.

We had great cheap vacations as a family. Most of my vacations growing up consisted of driving 4 hours away from home to Mackinaw City. Note City and not Island, because we couldn't afford to stay on the island. We couldn't even afford to stay at a motel on the beach! I never went to Florida until I was 19, and then we went to Miami.

I don't think any child will be scarred for life if they don't make a trip to WDW. Just as I don't think I'm scarred because I have never seen the Pyramids up close an in person. Or been to Tahiti.

We all vacation where we can afford to. Yet no one resort owes us a trip that fits into our budget. And if not everyone goes to WDW it doesn't mean their life was somehow less than those who do go. We all get so wrapped up in our love of Disney and WDW that sometimes it seems we think it does. A little perspective is in order.

Exactly. There are many wonderful places across the world to vacation. It is not heartbreaking because a kid doesn't go to Orlando.

I agree with the OP. I think they are becoming greedy.

We have gone every year (most years twice)..since our kids were infants. We bought DVC at the Beach Club and we purchase annual passes most years.

It has most definitely changed to maximize profits over those 10 years.

I know they will always try to make a profit (I'm not naive) but there is a difference between making a profit and maximizing.

I've seen the focus shift from making things special for children (and adults). Little extras..Just because. to how can we sell this and attract even more people.

The Halloween party has become overrun with people...when it started it was a very special thing for our family. See the Villains, great parade, trick or treating...and get on rides with little to no lines...Now people have fist fights over their spot at a parade....no thanks.

The the dining plan... We do a TS every night.. We didn't buy into it because I don't eat an appetizer, entree and dessert... Too much food... It was more economical to pay out of pocket... Disney has since raise prices on all their dishes so even ordering a garden salad will cost you $20.

There is no such thing as a low crowd day any longer...irregardless of what time of year you go.. build more and more hotels but only expansion of the parks was a few rides in fantasyland?

and dont even get me going with the amount of people they let register for the run disney events..the princess half marathon was down right dangerous...

Ok..end of rant./..

I'm still a dvc member and next year we are trying our first disney cruise...I'm still giving them my money.. but I'm still very aware of these changes and consider them a negative... and will effect my future purchases..

I'm just editing to add, there is more to business than just maximizing profits. That is a short term goal. There is the customer experience..that produces loyalty, reputation.

But, no one forces anyone to GO to WDW for their vacation. Families go elsewhere every year and some never come to WDW. Disney does what any business will do because at the end of the day, it is a business. People who don't agree with Disney's price increases have the choice of NOT going....plain and simple. They can just as easily give their money to Myrtle Beach or any other hot vacation spot. If families choose to still visit WDW, frankly I don't think anyone has a right to complain about price increases. JMHO!

I was 29 before I went to WDW for the first time. 3 weeks away from being 30, to be exact. And as heartbreaking as you may find it, when I was growing up, I never missed it! I think that we all love WDW so much that we forget people have happy childhoods without trips to WDW.

We had great cheap vacations as a family. Most of my vacations growing up consisted of driving 4 hours away from home to Mackinaw City. Note City and not Island, because we couldn't afford to stay on the island. We couldn't even afford to stay at a motel on the beach! I never went to Florida until I was 19, and then we went to Miami.

I don't think any child will be scarred for life if they don't make a trip to WDW. Just as I don't think I'm scarred because I have never seen the Pyramids up close an in person. Or been to Tahiti.

We all vacation where we can afford to. Yet no one resort owes us a trip that fits into our budget. And if not everyone goes to WDW it doesn't mean their life was somehow less than those who do go. We all get so wrapped up in our love of Disney and WDW that sometimes it seems we think it does. A little perspective is in order.

See I think that is because when you was younger there was not adverts every night showing DIsney world on TV!!!
I don't know 1 parent that does not say to me when we tell them we are going to Disney that they wish they could take their child,

On fbook I regularly see mums who say their child had just seen the new Disney world advert and how they have been begging to go, that parent then says how upset they are to see the child sad that they can't go, I've seen it and heard it maybe that's why we feel like that,

When I was little I was going every single year NON of my friends was, half of them hasn't even heard of Disney world, I guess that's where differences come in again.

Three weeks off is brilliant! Gives you chance to relax and take disney at a slower pace. I guess we are lucky because most people in the UK will get 4 weeks holiday a year- and these can have more added the longer you have been with a company. Using holidays wisely, ie during bank holidays/long weekends helps. Personally I always feel like ive not been off when I return to work whether ive had 1 week or 3 off! The 2-3 weeks holiday over there is definately to justify the cost of the flights, they cost very little less for a week than three.

I couldn't imagine going for less then 2 wks!! And 3 feels much better,
By the time we have adjusted to the long flight and the time zone I need 2/3 wks! Their is too much to see and do and it's not like people from the UK can just drive down when ever they get the chance of a long wk end!!
My DH gets a good amount of holiday time we still manage to get 2 wks off at Xmas and a few days here and there through out the year never been a problem for him to adjust back into work infact when we go to Disney it's usually a whole month he has off a few days either side of the trip!

I've found that people on here don't usually take long breaks like UK people do- I guess they don't feel the need to stay longer to justify a flight cost because often they're just flying (or driving) across the country, not flying across the Atlantic.

No big deal that some don't get to do Disney as a child really. That's life. It's not a necessity for every family to do WDW, despite what most DISers might think.

See that's where I feel different then you, no it's not a necessity but it is very disappointing for a child, my children see the Disney holidays adverts on tv every day and say I wish we could go to Disney " and they have just come back" many of my friends children always saying how they wish they could go to Disney, I guess DH and myself just feel for others who can't do the amazing holidays we can?
Which is why when we sell our house we are paying money towards a few friends trips with their children and also my brother and sister in laws children.

I've found that people on here don't usually take long breaks like UK people do- I guess they don't feel the need to stay longer to justify a flight cost because often they're just flying (or driving) across the country, not flying across the Atlantic.

No big deal that some don't get to do Disney as a child really. That's life. It's not a necessity for every family to do WDW, despite what most DISers might think.

Actually, most Americans only get 2-3 weeks of vacation a year. I understand that's different in other countries. Most employers would not let anyone take that time consecutively. We are fortunate to live close enough to drive or we would have taken many less trips, with the cost of flying. :)

Exactly. There are many wonderful places across the world to vacation. It is not heartbreaking because a kid doesn't go to Orlando.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I've never been to Europe, and there's a good chance I will never go because it isn't in our budget. But I'm not blasting airlines for not being "affordable" enough for us.

I don't know why people are still arguing with this man and his wife. The entire thread has left me shaking my head.

I'm actually quite shocked at the volume of people pleased, at the lack of incentives as it reduces the numbers in the park!

It's attitudes like this that gives Disney the green light to be greedy!
It's because I believe that crowded parks and restaurants diminish the Disney experience. I like shorter lines and the ability to walk up to a restaurant and be seated within 15 minutes with or without an ADR. Smaller crowds decrease the maintenance demands on the attractions and queue lines, which means that they are less likely to appear shabby or malfunction when I'm there. I would much rather pay more for a WOW experience than pay less for a mediocre, standard theme park visit.

Reminds me of Steven Spielberg's Jurassic Park, when they discuss the price of tickets and the possibility of coupons so that not only the super rich get to enjoy.
There are plenty of things that the rich can enjoy that your average, workaday Joe cannot afford. That's capitalism. Would you prefer to lower the standards of service and cleanliness at the parks and resorts so that more people can vacation there?

Both my parents worked two jobs each to give my siblings and I the best they could, Disney was always out of their reach and I think it's heart breaking to see kids not ever go. I was 25 before I went for the first time.
I don't find it heartbreaking at all. I find it heartbreaking when there are children without clean water to drink, nutritious food to eat and the proper immunizations that children in wealthier families take for granted.

I also grew up in a large, blue-collar family. We never stayed in a resort hotel for a vacation. Going to Disney was absolutely out of the question. I made my first Disney trip after I was married and my husband finished his education. I don't blame Disney for being *greedy* back when I was a child and we couldn't afford to go. And I don't blame them for raising their prices now.

Yes we have looked into that option I'm one if those people who know too much about Disney and their options lol, we would rent points BUT if anything goes wrong while your at Disney you have the pain of having to go through the person you rented from to sort it out!

When I'm there for 3wks the last thing I want if I have something wrong with the room is having Disney tell me its not their problem and that the renter has to call,

Why would you have to go through the points owner for any issues? People who rent points are listed as the guests on the reservation and have full rights and responsibilities for the room. You would not have to go through the person you rented points from for any issues. The only thing you have to go through the DVC owner for is the making of the room reservation, reservations for Magical Express and reservations for the Disney Dining Plan. Everything after checkin is the right and responsibility of the people who check in.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I've never been to Europe, and there's a good chance I will never go because it isn't in our budget. But I'm not blasting airlines for not being "affordable" enough for us.

I don't know why people are still arguing with this man and his wife. The entire thread has left me shaking my head.

I didn't realise anybody was arguing? I thought dis boards was for discussions? So I'm guessing if we wasn't married and it was 2 different disers commenting it would be ok!

There is another thread similar to this one about staying on property and is it worth it? The OP has been blasted for not replying to the comments on his own thread he started I guess you just can't win! Your wrong if you reply and your wrong if you don't!!

I didn't realise anybody was arguing? I thought dis boards was for discussions? So I'm guessing if we wasn't married and it was 2 different disers commenting it would be ok!

There is another thread similar to this one about staying on property and is it worth it? The OP has been blasted for not replying to the comments on his own thread he started I guess you just can't win! Your wrong if you reply and your wrong if you don't!!

Perhaps you should familiarize yourself with one of Aesop's classics, The Man, the Boy, and the Donkey. To summarize it, you lose no matter what you do!

Perhaps you should familiarize yourself with one of Aesop's classics, The Man, the Boy, and the Donkey. To summarize it, you lose no matter what you do!

Lol,I'm familiar ;)
Luckily I've been apart of Dis for a few years now! And I've read plenty of threads that go this way I tend not to take them personally :)

I actually enjoy hearing other's views on anything like this and appreciate the discussions.. For myself this is what Dis boards are about as well as all the info, help with planning and speculations on "EVERYTHING" everybody has their own opinions and more often then not will try their best to justify why they feel the way they do, its clear from the thread I'm not the only person who feels the way I do, just like there's many who feel different then I and that's OK.

There is Always going to be thread's like this ( not exactly of this content ) for example is commonly is Disney going down hill?? ( Not my opinion just an example of a thread) many come to defend disney no matter what they do and thats fine too, I suppose that's why I find Disboards interesting and why I come back to read them day after day! :)

There is Always going to be thread's like this ( not exactly of this content ) for example is commonly is Disney going down hill?? ( Not my opinion just an example of a thread) many come to defend disney no matter what they do and thats fine too, I suppose that's why I find Disboards interesting and why I come back to read them day after day! :)

I think many of us defend Disney because we haven't seen them do anything heinous. Though I won't defend them "no matter what they do".:rolleyes2 I've been going to WDW for over 16 years and haven't seen this massive decline that so many people report. Things have changed, yes. Some for the better and some not. But that is the nature of anything, of any business.

Other posters may not agree with me, and that is fine. As you say, it is all a good discussion.

Yes, it's a good and viable discussion. The argument is whether you think Disney is being greedy, and IMO it is. You know there is a disproportionate price rise and yet try and justify it. I don't fault Disney for rising prices so much, because as everyone says, Disney is a business. However for prices to rise so much more than inflation- yes that is greedy. I'm not saying Disney shouldn't do it, as they are a business, but it is greedy.

As for us 'blaming' airlines for expensive tickets, we are not. It is just a matter of a fact that with airline tickets being the price they are, many families will decide not to fly to the US to see WDW. To attract more British visitors, Disney does need to offer prices that will make a holiday to WDW more appealing (and affordable).

The airline tickets haven't risen in the same proportion that Disney packages have. Besides, it's not really a variable- fuel is a fixed price and much of what we pay for a ticket is tax. Disney's prices are a variable. They can offer discounts and attract more guests. Even with the discounts, prices are still noticeably higher than they were two years ago.

I guess what I'm saying is that rising the price above inflation can't be justified without saying that Disney is a business and wants to maximize profit. Even then when justified, we know Disney is being greedy.

And I disagree with the whole 'if Disney's prices were lower the parks would be more run down as other prices go up' etc. Disney can still make the parks profitable without these hefty price increases. If their prices rose with inflation, then I wouldn't begrudge them at all! But they are rising way above inflation. :)

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I think many of us defend Disney because we haven't seen them do anything heinous. Though I won't defend them "no matter what they do".:rolleyes2 I've been going to WDW for over 16 years and haven't seen this massive decline that so many people report. Things have changed, yes. Some for the better and some not. But that is the nature of anything, of any business.

Other posters may not agree with me, and that is fine. As you say, it is all a good discussion.

I also have come to defend Disney on many threads, just because I think they are starting to charge too much for the average joe to be able to holiday at Disney, does not in any way reflect how I feel about them as a magical place for my family and I!!
Like I said I've been coming since I was 3 and have been at least 20 odd times over the last 25 years, for at least 2/3weeks every visit!! we love Disney and everything it offers us in a holiday.Im also like yourself someone who does not see the decline ( i only used that as an example of the type of threads we see on here often ) I don't think the parks are dirty nor do I feel the magic is being lost!
It's still a place that I'd rather spend my money going to and I still have to explain year after year to friends & family why I will spend over $14.000 on a holiday.

We have taken our children to Egypt Spain and other places in Europe but we always come back to Disney as we don't enjoy our other trips as much as we enjoy our Disney ones!
I'm not one for just sitting on a beach doing nothing, I was so excited to bring my family for the 1st time, Dh had never been and had no desire to go but I begged and after that 1st trip he was hooked enough that we married 2 years later in Disney.

Still as I said I do feel the price increases are absurd, but im ok with being in the minority that feel that way!
will it stop me from coming? no it won't as its been apart of my life for too many years, As long as we can afford it we will continue even if that means staying value which we have done and loved or even off site "although i much prefer on" it has however already priced out many of our friends and for me that is very sad :(

Yes, it's a good and viable discussion. The argument is whether you think Disney is being greedy, and IMO it is. You know there is a disproportionate price rise and yet try and justify it. I don't fault Disney for rising prices so much, because as everyone says, Disney is a business. However for prices to rise so much more than inflation- yes that is greedy. I'm not saying Disney shouldn't do it, as they are a business, but it is greedy.

As for us 'blaming' airlines for expensive tickets, we are not. It is just a matter of a fact that with airline tickets being the price they are, many families will decide not to fly to the US to see WDW. To attract more British visitors, Disney does need to offer prices that will make a holiday to WDW more appealing (and affordable).

The airline tickets haven't risen in the same proportion that Disney packages have. Besides, it's not really a variable- fuel is a fixed price and much of what we pay for a ticket is tax. Disney's prices are a variable. They can offer discounts and attract more guests. Even with the discounts, prices are still noticeably higher than they were two years ago.

I guess what I'm saying is that rising the price above inflation can't be justified without saying that Disney is a business and wants to maximize profit. Even then when justified, we know Disney is being greedy.

And I disagree with the whole 'if Disney's prices were lower the parks would be more run down as other prices go up' etc. Disney can still make the parks profitable without these hefty price increases. If their prices rose with inflation, then I wouldn't begrudge them at all! But they are rising way above inflation. :)

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

ITA with everything you say, you probably manage to put it better then we do in our posts lol!
So thanks :)

Of course we expect the company to make money my family have always owned their own businesses and I owned a cafe before we moved for DH job, so I understand the business side of it,what company doesn't want to make a ton of money? It would be nice if the family's that have been year after year wasn't getting priced out, I just guess I'd just like the increases to be within reason? And not to hike up year after year!
And the perks not to be lowered :(

I mean who after having that taste of Disney even only once doesn't want to be able to go back again and again :)

Of course we expect the company to make money my family have always owned their own businesses and I owned a cafe before we moved for DH job, so I understand the business side of it,what company doesn't want to make a ton of money?

Did you regularly give meals to those who couldn't afford to eat out as a family so they didn't miss out on the experience? Then when said families keep coming back expecting those free meals would you grant their request? Don't say it's not the same. It's exactly the same thing.

The airlines are about as bad of an example of prices staying low as you can find. They may have kept prices low, but most of them have added fee after fee after fee.

I don't begrudge any business a profit. And I don't mean just a small profit, which many of you seem to think should be the goal. Any business offers a product, and it is up to each individual to decide if it is worth that price or not. I would never walk into Lexus and demand they offer me a deal of a car because they were making too much profit. The idea is ridiculous! Yet people seem to think Disney should restrict themselves to only a small profit. That is so insane I struggle to find a word to describe just how insane it is.

A business is there to make money. It is their nature to be greedy. If you find it insulting take your money elsewhere. That is what it comes down to. But this constant complaining and insisting they should lower their prices is, in a word, childish. Kinda like me at the grocery store when I see the price of candy has gone up yet again. ;)There is not a one of us who likes to pay more money for something! But expecting a company to lower their profits so that we can better afford an item is unreasonable.

I mean who after having that taste of Disney even only once doesn't want to be able to go back again and again :)

I understand that you are a big fan. But for many families Disney is a do it once vacation and then they move onto other destinations. They budget for it once so they aren't looking at prices from several years ago or looking at how things used to be.

Did you regularly give meals to those who couldn't afford to eat out as a family so they didn't miss out on the experience? Then when said families keep coming back expecting those free meals would you grant their request? Don't say it's not the same. It's exactly the same thing.

No I kept my prices reasonable, so that eating at my place was affordable, and I'm sorry but I do NOT feel its the same at all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter